Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheOneVader
Jun 9, 2006

Don't kiss your sister, Son...

Rubellavator posted:

when and why did LTT have an OnlyFans

It was their April Fool's Day video I think two years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheOneVader
Jun 9, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

lmao of course FW is on there.

Never heard of it, what do you mean here?

TheOneVader
Jun 9, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

Short version, once upon a time Forgotten Weapons was highlighted by a bunch of people as one of the few good youtube gun channels where they didn't roll around in racism and lgbtq+phobia etc.

Then the long haired dude who ran it, who the community called "Gun Jesus" publicly poo poo the bed trying to promote a Ukrainian foreign volunteer neo-nazi's book (neo-nazi in the "right wing extreme ethno-nationalist waving around actual nazi symbosl" sense not the Russian propaganda "all ukranians are nazis" sense), and THEN decided to roll around in the mess throwing the trans community under the bus over a business deal.

There's more, but that's more of a TFR subject than a SH/SC subject. Suffice it to say he did a big heel turn that disappointed a lot of people.

Woof, thanks. That's certainly someone to keep around on your platform.

TheOneVader
Jun 9, 2006

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

That's interesting, because power costs are not something you really hear about. Everyone knows about average rents, or internet costs, but few seem to think about power cost.

We've got hydro here in BC as well, and we start out at about 9c per kwh. I was surprised to find out the average cost in the US is about 23c per kwh.

Here in Hawaii it's about 43c per kWh, and it's over 50 on the other islands. Solar definitely pays off, but if you're in a condo you're screwed.

TheOneVader
Jun 9, 2006

Unperson_47 posted:

I also like watching Posy's videos and hearing his Dutch accent. Kind of an eclectic collection of videos. I think I found out about him in this thread a while back and figured I'd post him again in case he gets missed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTB5XhjbgZA

Stumbled onto his channel one day and just adored every video he made. It's just so unapologetically nostalgic and nerdy and creative. It's so relaxing.

TheOneVader
Jun 9, 2006

As someone who used to watch all of LTT's videos, as well as Doug DeMuro, I always skipped LTT's car reviews. Why would I care about Linus's opinion on the Corolla? He's not a car expert, this isn't a car channel. It felt like a weird stretch for their content.

TheOneVader
Jun 9, 2006

njsykora posted:

MKBHD does occasional car stuff too and I don't get it, like tech guys tried getting into the car business with the likes of Tesla and Rivian and all the techtubers thought yeah now cars are tech!

Michael Fisher at one point was honest about it and said yeah I liked doing car videos but nobody who subscribes to my loving mobile phone review channel wants to hear me talk about cars and nobody ever watched those videos.

I appreciate that MKBHD focuses on EVs and the tech within the car, and that he's moved them to a separate channel so I can just ignore them.

Linus talking about the handling characteristics of an ICE Corolla is absolutely not what I want to see. Same as I don't want to watch a Linus cooking show.

Props to Michael Fisher for keeping it real. Love his videos, even if I'm never going to buy a foldable.

TheOneVader
Jun 9, 2006

YerDa Zabam posted:

Not only that, but there's multiple options for rt as well as dlss and frame regent and ray regen and regen regen and so on
Looks lovely with all the fixins, makes me wish I had a mega computer

I managed to get a 6900 XT during the dark times (December 2020) and it's a mega GPU, but man I feel like I'm missing out so much compared to if I got a 3080. I'd love to have RT and DLSS. 😩

TheOneVader
Jun 9, 2006

Same, I'm glad I decided to move to Firefox when the first talks of this happened. Now I'm already acclimated.

TheOneVader
Jun 9, 2006

apatheticman posted:

LOL 4 videos in like 8 hours for LTT.

Really taking that "they seem overworked" to heart.

I don't think that means anything. Their cadence is really inconsistent compared to a few months ago, so that could just mean 3 different teams had to take longer than expected and 4 were completed on the same day.

TheOneVader
Jun 9, 2006

I had to go remove this from my watch history. You should feel bad.

TheOneVader
Jun 9, 2006

Maybe I'm an idiot but I only use vim because I haven't bothered to learn how to change the default editor. 13 years as a software dev.

TheOneVader
Jun 9, 2006

I was skeptical of Vessi, but ended up really liking them. They are indeed waterproof but also quite comfy. They're my go to beater shoes and I wear them most days. But they're impossible to clean once they're stained.

I used Squarespace for my wedding website and it was great. It's not the cheapest but anyone can make something that looks great. Kind of a no brainer for a business to justify the cost, given how easy they make updating it so it stays relevant.

TheOneVader
Jun 9, 2006

Same, the last LTT video I watched was their "apology" and I used to watch every single video. I miss having some fun nerdy videos on in the background and I haven't found anything that quite fills the niche.

MKBHD is just gadgets and a little too sterile. Waveform is boring. No hot takes.

I've been watching Digital Trends a lot more, I quite enjoy Caleb's in depth television discussions.

I tried watching more Gamers Nexus but if I'm not actively in the market for a product, it's just too graph focused.

Mr Mobile is always a delight, but again only does gadgets and not serious hardware discussion.

Snazzy is pretty good. I think I was turned off by the Mac fanboyism at first, but I've come around to his style.

TheOneVader
Jun 9, 2006

hifi posted:

Just read a book

Listen here, pal...

TheOneVader
Jun 9, 2006

Dawid Does Tech Stuff was such a good recommendation, fills that quirky tech exploration itch that I was missing after cutting out Linus.

Honestly, it's refreshing. I feel like I hand waved away all of the sketchy sponsorship bullshit that Linus did but now I just see how gross it was. To use a sponsor's money to do dumb poo poo is fine, but to turn around and review that same company's products and try to be some bastion of tech review journalism is just not possible.

I'll never forget once watching WAN Show and someone called out a review for being sponsored by the product he was reviewing. Linus defended it and said clearly that wasn't a review, it was a product showcase. And you know, he made me feel dumb for not getting that. I thought to myself oh duh, yeah that's fine because it's not a review it's an unboxing basically. But gently caress that, that's not true at all! Of course people think it's a review. You can't just call it something else, put it alongside your "real reviews" and say there's nothing wrong. You just can't have it both ways.

TheOneVader
Jun 9, 2006

trilobite terror posted:

Same with Doug DeMuro. Stop saying it’s loving “undeniably cool,” out in the real world nobody thinks the rusting nazi pentagon is cool and they never will.

Is that true, though? I think the general public who isn't terminally online like us just doesn't follow what's going on with Elon. And even if something is impractical and they'd never buy one, people would get a kick out of seeing one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheOneVader
Jun 9, 2006

trilobite terror posted:

https://www.reuters.com/business/autos-transportation/would-be-tesla-buyers-snub-company-musks-reputation-dips-2024-04-01/

IDK, seems to be having an effect. Just anecdotally, my dad is the most normie, nonpartisan, mainstream news consuming immigrant boomer and he bought a 3 in 2020 after my mom’s boss evangelized him on the brand and got him a bunch of referral discounts, and he legit loves the car. But he’s not going to get another Tesla as long as Elon’s at the company and he wants to sell this one, especially if the R2 gets made

Also lol:
https://twitter.com/_SeanDavid/status/1774777253320118582

Thanks, that's good to see it's having an effect.