Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
I'm currently running a game of heroquest set in the Flood era, also known as the early storm age. My PC's are Helerings, currently aligned with the sea and not yet Orlanthi, with an incredible hatred of Waetagi and Dara Happans. They also are descended from Hsunchen and currently have a Megalodon spirit society!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Related to the flood era game of Heroquest I'm running, I actually made a questionnaire for making a Helering Clan at the time. Much of it is based on their position relative to other peoples in the map of the age in the Guide.

I put it here

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

SunAndSpring posted:

Generally, an Orlanthi person who identifies as a man is never getting into a cult that is only for women without doing some serious God-Learner or Illuminate poo poo, but trans folk probably can. After all, initiates of Nandan are accorded the same rights as any Ernaldan cultist, getting to go into the special women's-only places without getting killed by an Axe Maiden. Presumably one who initiates into adulthood via the Nandan way gets to do whatever Earth cult stuff they want.

There's a caveat to this though, explicitly noted: Ernalda is in many ways a motherhood goddess, including having specific aspects for this. As they cannot give birth (at least without some serious heroquesting-level magic) Nandan cultists cannot initiate to these aspects, or learn the mysteries or gain the magic associated with this.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Wrestlepig posted:

There isn’t much overlap between westerners and the Lunars, since there’s a bunch of Orlanthi and the impenetrable fog of the Syndics Ban dividing them. The Lunar Empire includes the Carmanians, who are very western but have a dualistic version with a lot of influences from solar cults and other local ones, like Bisos and Humakt, so the Lunars were able to integrate easily after they conquered them. If the Lunars had to try converting malkioni they’d probably argue that the Red Moon was a path to deeper mysteries beyond logic and was exceptional among the gods from her unique position in Time, so worshiping her wouldn’t be spiritually negative. Probably a lot like Nysalor in the first age.

The lunars have their ways of intergrating sorcery, but geographically they've not yet really run into proper westerner Malkioni of anything more orthodox than the Carmanians. I'd think if or when they do they'd have a bad time of it for a bunch of reasons. One of the major reasons for the Lunar's expansion is that they're able to bring a fullness of spiritual experience to areas that for a long time have had the deeper mysteries of their cults annihilated, either by the god learners, the EWF or the backlash against them. In the west you have the new Hrestoli of Loskalm whose spiritual traditions instead expanded afterwards, letting them create their crazy utopia. The armies of the Lunars might make them good allies against the kingdom of war, but mysteries beyond logic mean little to those who have found the logic beyond mysteries.

And then you have the Rokari who are just extremely intolerant of anything that looks like god-worshiping, in theory. The reality is more complex than that, of course, but given it's centralization of power both religious and temporal (for what difference there is) in Tanisor. As well, the philosophical underpinnings of Rokarism are very materialist and integrating that into Lunar Mysticism would be difficult. Not to mention that there's a long history of attempts to do that to more receptive variants of malkionism, which has ended in catastrophes like nysalorism, then the arkati, then the god-damned god-learners. All of these have made the people in seshnela opposed to both mysticism and messing about with other culture's gods in general, to say the least. What can a lunar say to them? The Law, after all, is the Law and it is clear: if you break it then when you die you will suffer and if you do not you will be freed from this world. Gods are supposed to be ordered about, those who turn away from the Law to worship them have suffered and died horrifically: just look at Old Seshnela and Wenalia. Plus there's that entire province of people who have one goal in life: prepare for the day Gbajii shows up again so they can kill them.

I guess my point is that Lunars attempting to sway "proper" malkioni would be interesting, but I can't see it working very well for them. Losklam's already got their own utopian spiritual enlightenment, whole Seshnela/Tanisor is liable to be unreceptive to the message in every single way.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

DalaranJ posted:

I have a couple more rune themed questions.

What are the aspects of the moon rune? It sort of feels like it's intentionally kept mysterious.

What are some things about the water rune? The only heroquests I can think of related to it are the god that dives in to plug the hole chaos made and turns into a whirlpool, and everyone's favorite minor heroquest "Guy needs to get to other side of river". Although this might be down to the Orlanthi pantheon not having a major water god.

Regarding the breaking of the compromise, mortals might fare better this time because Orlanth and Yelm, (and probably? the Red Goddess) are perfectly available to come to their aid. Although I suppose the crisis might not actually manifest until one of them is killed again.

It's a bit late, but.

The moon rune is intentionally mysterious because it is concerned with mystery. It's unique in having seven phases it can go through, each different, but the moon rune as a whole is concerned with mystical insight, change and chaos (but in a neutral way). Each phase of the moon rune is connected to one of the seven mothers and can be approached through that context.

As for the water rune, the fact that there's few heroquests concerned with it on land is intentional because.. well, they're on land and not in water. Thus pretty much any land-based culture are going to have heroquests that are all about fighting water to make it into lakes, rivers, ect and not flooding them all over. This is the case also, because the major maritime cultures of Glorantha are all dead or half-dead. The waertagi are in hell, the Helerings are mostly extinct or absorbed into the Orlanthi, the Artmali are in pretty much the same boat except with fonrit and the god learners are super-ultra-dead. Therefore, heroquests that deal with the water rune outside of lakes, rivers and dealing with not being flooded are pretty much nonexistent, as those were the cultures that understood the depths in more than a literally surface way.

They were able to come to the aid of mortals last time. It didn't end well. When the compromise breaks again the world is going to die. That's not an if, or a probably, it's an inevitability: the world is going to die when it happens. The only question is if it can be brought to life again and even if it can, what new compromise will have to be made.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
The six ages stuff seems pretty good in this regard, at least?

Edit: Frankly, Jeff Richards seems kind of an rear end. A real grognard type in a specific fashion. He seems really into early-runequest-era-Glorantha and a lot of the problems with the setting date from there. Kind of obsessed with keeping Greg's vision of the setting even when Greg would probably admit it isn't very good.

That discussion on Kralorea got better after he left. Not amazing, but there were good postings in it. Then it got derailed by Sheng Seleris, who ruins everything he touches.

NewMars fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Sep 13, 2019

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

1994 Toyota Celica posted:

so, in a month or two i am going to be running a current-edition runequest game, with Lunar-affiliated player characters, set in the Lunar Empire

specifically, i believe the game will be about them overthrowing the current king of Imther, in favor of one of the pcs. to start with, at any rate. are there any resources anyone would recommend, official or otherwise, for running and playing Lunar characters

If you're willing to go all out in your reading, the Fortunate Succession has a surprising amount of stuff about the Lunar era and the Glorious Reascent can tell you much about the dara happan empire and it's mythology. Six ages is a game that you can play set in Imther in the storm era. The history of the heortling peoples does talk about the area as well, especially predawn and first age, but alas, tends to focus on dragon pass, heortland and esrolia after that.

Edit: Something interesting in history of the heortling peoples that can be overlooked: Orlanthi in Imther still worship Hyalor.

NewMars fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Sep 14, 2019

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
I always thought that Kralorea should emphasize it's Hsunchen roots and connection to the otherworld. I always think of those left-foot-path guys in Pamalta who live entirely in the godtime and whenever they wander about the entire landscape around them is sucked in.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
It's pretty neat, but the undead are a thing worth keeping: so you should have iron, bronze and bone. Bone of course, being things like bone oracles and a miraculous civil service made entirely of the dead.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
I guess there's something to be said about Kralorea being a kind-of litmus. It's not that it needs to be improved, it's how it needs to be improved.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

andrew smash posted:

I once did a game entirely based around succeeding at this task, made the ducks steadfast allies first etc. when I asked they agreed to join but a law speaker from some other clan jumped in and found a reason why they couldn't. To this day I don't know if it's possible.

I think that's the best case option.

Also I like the guide, just because it gives enough of a base to start doing things outside dragon pass and prax, which are and shall be the only places that will ever get any detail at all.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Six ages part 2 is absolutely nuts. It takes place during the end of the great darkness. Not the parts where everything gets slowly worse, but the full bore "the spike has exploded, wakboth marshals his armies, orlanth and ernalda are dead, oh god oh man" part. In fact, one of the clan creation choices? How long until the world ends. Events have stuff like happy chaos people made out of random limbs telling you that they can help the sun shine on your crops again if you just worship their chaos god. You can invent new heroquests out of utter desperation, including one that gives birth to babeester gor via kicking the absolute poo poo out of a chaos god. Wakboth himself can just show up and cause trouble for you personally, like taking a nap in front of a river, incidentally flooding you. Or just straight up stepping on your stuff like an rear end.

Also the devs have staked out their position on the elmal/yelmalio thing.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
It's also worth noting that the gloranthan opinion on the idea of canon is that it isn't something that exists and in fact, different gloranthan products have always had some level of deliberate contradictions in both text and art (see: the mostali, whoa).

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Herman Merman posted:

The Guide to Glorantha depiction of the various dwarf subspecies is the only canon one in my book (gold dwarves being the only remotely human-looking ones because they were engineered to serve as diplomats)

Note: This is just a page over from a depiction of them as ordinary looking short guys in renaissance-era clothing.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Moonwolf posted:

Isn't that just the modern dwarves where the metals are just castes rather than utterly different peoples who just work together though?

Nope. Like I said, the art style and the way things work in universe are not consistent things, Glorantha is intentionally a setting that has multiple different interpretations.

This guy.

Is the same as the guy on the bottom left there, a gold-caste dwarf. These artworks are not in different books, they are in the guide. They are in fact, literally one page apart. There is no single Glorantha, only different people's versions of the setting.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Yeah, he's never been very static in how he is. At least from my experiences.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Tulip posted:

There are limits: for example, there does not exist a glorantha where the mostali aren't dicks

Even this can be untrue! In six ages: lights going out they are directly responsible for helping you survive the end of the world, even though you enslaved them and forced them to build your fortress. And then they go and bring you to the unity battle after helping you rebuild! Just standup guys, really.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Vadun posted:

Didn't the Mostali build a couple of windmills or Waterwheels for people, something like that?

I believe it was mentioned that Zzabur used them to build windmills to fuel the heat of his people during the glacier age, somewhere...

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
It can also be difficult to figure out what you can do with a stasis run, to be frank. One of the more common things it's aligned to is actually just building walls and things, which makes sense, but also is far from the first thing to come to mind.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

wiegieman posted:

The Invisible God is blameless! It's all the fault of Makan, that hack demiurge!

If we merely listen to the precepts of sage Rokar, we can see that the proper way to restore the runes to balance is to cut out everything from the abiding book that could be used to argue for social mobility and the rights of women. (The rokari are more complicated than this, but damned if the people who write glorantha don't want them to be, sometimes.)

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

White Coke posted:

How has the difference between Elmal and Yelmalio been depicted in different rules? I know that Elmal is sometimes depicted with fire powers and other times he only has light, while Yelmalio seems to consistently only have light but sometimes can summon fire elementals to make up for that.

In runequest, Yelmalio is Elmal, period. In Heroquest, Elmal has fire powers and defensive powers while also giving you horse powers too, while Yelmalio is a god of light and endurance, granting you the battle magic of a footsoldier pike phalanx.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Herman Merman posted:

How strong are Elmal's fire powers? It'd seem weird if the Storm Tribe has access to more powerful fire magic than the Solar Tribe's frontier areas.

Pretty strong, really. Though mind you, powerful fire magic is... kind of an odd spot for solar pantheons. Because you see, the most powerful fire combat magic around? It's actually Oakfed, a praxian spirit society, although it is powerful in a different way. Because solar cults generally focus on how the sun is not on the earth, they do not generally do stuff like dropping the sun's flames directly on people. I mean, they can still do that, but it's not the focus. But, Oakfed is one of the lowfires, the fires of earth and humanity. Specifically, the wildfire. The problem with oakfed isn't him not being powerful enough, it's that he is too powerful. Once he's summoned, he is very, very hard to stop burning. He will burn and consume everything until you contain him or until there is nothing left to burn.

NewMars fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Sep 1, 2023

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Nanomashoes posted:

I think the Sun Dragon could do it. I just need to figure out what it is.

Funnily, the Sun Dragon cult actually has a full writeup in the cult compendium for Runequest.

There's one initiate to it left and he's a wyrm that lives in Pavis.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Kanthulhu posted:

Is this Lifebringer quest the secret mysterious quest that brought the Red Moon back to life?

No, it's just what they did before someone thought up the Lightbringer Quest. It wasn't as good.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Wrong, just like all barbarian natterings. We here in China Kralorea know that there was no such thing as a great darkness, because everything here is perfect and nothing bad or interesting happens ever, as it should be.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Herman Merman posted:

What is Yelm from the perspective of a Yelmalio worshipper? Is he Yelmalio's father, or is Yelmalio a human-accessible aspect of a more abstract, distant sun god? Should Yelm also be honored, or do the Yelmalioans think that Yelm worship is somehow misguided (too holy, too abstract, too useless)? What's their relationship to Yelm worshippers, are they somehow subordinate to them in theory?

He's Yelmalio's dad to them. Yelm should be honoured, of course, as the great sun. But he's also for far-away nobles and emperors, not soldiers and survivors in the lands of the sun domes.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

radmonger posted:

I think Yelm generally comes under ‘too abstract and difficult for ordinary people to worship’. One way around that is to retire to a tower and stare at the Sun all day.

The other is to come from the right Imperial bloodlines, and keeping a shaman on staff who lets you tap into the collective knowledge of all those ancestors.

You're confusing Yelm with Dayzatar in the first bit there. Dayzatar is the high sun beyond the sky and his adherents are mystics who retire to towers to stare at the sun all day. Yelm worship is done by nobles in cities, a surprisingly high amount of the people in Dara Happa: 4% of the overall population. To worship him you must be a full Citizen of an imperial city, and he grants the power of nobility, command, rule and related magics. Having a yelm initiate involved in any project will make it go much smoother, even if, (especially if) they don't actually do anything. Such is the magic of Yelm.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

TGG posted:

All of this would be solved if we just put our faith in Gustbran who came to us all as the Many Fires in the Darkness, the Lord of Smiths, Greatest of the Lowfires, who shall repair the world and light the way in darkest winter.

Unfortunately, this Elmal stuff is actually a symptom of Jeff saying that "all vaguely similar gods are the same" and Gustbran is actually affected by this. See: One of the major gods of Teshnos is this guy called Calyz, Calyz is the fire of man, patron of virility, the common man, the common uses of fire (cooking and metalworking) and the pleasures of the common man: E. G. sex. Now, he's often portrayed as either being nude or wearing a loincloth, while carrying a massive, phallic tool (a club) and wearing a crown.

It sounds a lot like a certain central Genertelan fire god, doesn't it? A guy the commoners all like, utterly indispensable even if "real" fire cultists turn up their noses at them? That's right, it's Gustbran!

Now, Teshnos has a lot of fire gods, but only a couple are really important. Here's another guy.

His name is Solf. Solf is the god of Sell-Annihilation via Sex, Drugs and Rock and Roll. In order to kill the self and achieve liberation, followers of him have to pursue gluttony, sexual deviance and the abuse of every single drug they can to the point where they, you know, actually die. His worship has to be strictly monitored because if widely adopted, entire regions can get depopulated. He is, to be frank, a terrifying god who no one in their right mind would worship: people do so in order to get out of their right minds.

Now who is this guy you may ask? That's right, it's old Lodril. You know, god of the commoner of peloria? The god of doing the work you gotta, improving the lot of the common guy? Apparently they're the same because Solf is associated with volcanoes too!

The point I am getting at here is that the Elmal/Yelmalio thing is, fittingly, just the tip of the spear. In the name of expedience (Jeff has stated a lot of this comes down to minimizing the number of cult writeups they have to do) and the personal view of Jeff (he's actually getting alarmingly close to saying "nothing the god learners did re: gods was actually wrong as such and has stated the monomyth is essentially correct) pretty much every regional god is getting done as a face of a far more well known god and as bad as that is on it's own: sometimes it leads to matchups like this, that do not really make any sense.

His current project by the way, is wielding as much authorial and company fiat as possible to stop anyone from getting into the setting via sources that aren't the latest RQ:G books, up to and explicitly saying on a number of occasions: "Stop listening to anyone who talks about storm tribe or heroquest."

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Josef bugman posted:

The sun is not just the one God though. The sun is not a one because it is many,because if it were One it could not be approached at all by the Many.

Also alongside that but Jeff does not get to claim authorial Fiat over something where Glorantha will vary.

Ah, but you see, Yelmalio is the god of the lightfore, which is not the sun, so there can in fact be only one god there. Elmal is also not the real sun but also the lightfore too now.

As for the actual sun, there's where authorial fiat is backed by company fiat: he owns Glorantha, so what he says, goes, you see?

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Josef bugman posted:

I'm becoming increasingly happy that I have bought nothing of modern rune quest.

I will make my own game if I must.

I just play heroquest instead. In fact, right now I'm in a pretty good Prax game that is viciously anti-Jeff.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
A bit in The Rebirth in the book of Heortling Mythology has the Sun Disk separate yet a part of Elmal, but in a very clever way. See, Elmal is the little sun of the darkness and the grey age (I. E. the lightfore), and the sun disc is his horse. Which Orlanth loosed from the underworld.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
I still love the way Six Ages portrays Yelmalio from the perspective of the riders.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
On a solar note, here's a list of suns in six ages:

Elmal the Loyal Sun.

Shargash the Demon Sun

The Water Sun (Probably the blue moon.)

Yonesh the Cold Sun

Yatelo the Hungry Sun (Becomes Krasht in Lights Going Out)

The Eggshell Sun (Might be the dome over Dara Happa)

The Golden Men (Might be stars)

Vrimak the Bird Sun

The Ghost Sun

Little Yelm/Yelmalio

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
The "they're actually different" one is the most likely thing to be true in Six Ages. Remember that at the time of the war of many suns, there is another god that's often been called (increasingly so in recent years) the same as Yelmalio as the Imperial Sun: Antirius. This is the god who won the war of many suns in Dara Happa and became the patron of emperors. This later comes up in the second age where you can have a group of Dara Happans show up talking about how the two are the same. Strangely, though, there's actually two variants of this scene: one where they, that is, the Dara Happans call Elmal a younger brother of Antirius/Yelmalio, and another where they claim the two are the same.

On a related note: the only time the name "Yelmalio" appears in the first six ages game is if you select Dara Happans as your ancient enemy, in which case, it says that your worst enemy in the war of many suns (this is before you left the empire and Elmal's name was cursed, note) was "Yelmalio, the Weak Sun."

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

radmonger posted:

If I recall correctly something from the Six Ages development blog correctly, somewhere between King of Dragon Pass and Six ages all the source code succumbed to bit rot of the obscure tools used to create that game. So Six Ages was a clean rewrite.

This would mean that the source code for Ekarna, the Hyaloring god of trade, is not the same as the source code for Issaries, the Heortling one

Or maybe I am getting that wrong, and they did find a way to copy and paste that bit. Close textual analysis might even be able to find out.

Either way, if you play the game, they give you the Silvertongue blessing.

Gods exist in the code as discrete entities. Note that Chalana Arroy, Ernalda, Uralda and Eurmal are both the same as their Rider counterparts. So is Erkana. They're listed in a "standard deities" part of the code as:

quote:

-- Standard deities
deity_Ancestors = 1
deity_CowGoddess = 2 -- Busenari or Uralda
deity_EarthGoddess = 3
deity_Elmal = 4
deity_Healer = 5 -- Erissa or Chalana Arroy
deity_Hunter = 6
deity_Trader = 10
deity_Trickster = 11

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
I'm reading up on the pamaltan materials by greg and... they're actually really good? And extremely different from the dragon pass and greater genertelan perspective we get. Particularly interesting is that they hate sacrifice to gods, but are fine with a person pursuing absolute dedication to one. They also have a very interesting perspective on spirits.

So, pamalta is the big animism continent, right. So you'd expect them to like spirits a lot? Except, no, they hate them. The spirit world is a place of vampiric half-complete beings called spirits. But spirits in the physical world are something different to them, what they call "natural creatures." So spirits with a body are good, without a body are very bad. And their shamans pursue immortality as a goal. See, physical health is a righteous pursuit and you can enhance it by pursuing balance with the natural and the peak of this balance is to integrate as many spirits into your physical body as possible, to give yourself completeness: immortality and wisdom. This is absolutely nothing like how shamans and the like interact with spirits in runequest or heroquest as given or in stuff like six ages, all in the genertelan perspective.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Tias posted:

Thanks!

Am trying to homebrew a Elmal cult writeup while I wait for the actual one, is there somewhere in the prior editions I could find a good one to convert?

http://www.backtobalazar.com/elmal-runequest-cult-write-up/

Someone made an elmal cult writeup for runequest, if that's what you need?

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

DalaranJ posted:

What’s a Lightfore?

It's an extremely bright star that follows a regular path in the sky. It was the thing that lit the world after the regular sun died, but not nearly as well.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
The solution is to make Pendragon Pass. Or remake it rather, since someone already did that but for the spectacularly ancient too-close-to-runequest 2e version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Hey people, there's two cool new Heroquest games going on, both on the same server.

First is The Liberation of Prax! Ride free as the animal nomads and bring back the green age. In our way there is every enemy under the sun, from the Lunars to the fact that we have no idea how to do this. But we must, for the good of all! This is for you people who like smashing chaos, riding really tall llamas and hating horses.

Second is Six Ages in Dara Happa. Yelm is Dead! The Imperial sun falls from the sky and his many children fight to see who the true successor shall be. But finding that out is only the first part. To restore the sun to the sky, you will have to discover and negate the errors that have crept into the empire since his loss. Hatred, Cruelty and Fear are the aspects of Dara Happa everyone outside it sees. But they are the grime that must be cleaned away for the purity of the sun to again shine.

Enter Here if you wish to join as a player or a spectator.