Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

Meatpimp, get INPA and check codes and shadow codes with that, it also has some very useful diagnostic tools for checking rough idle. Also check so that all the air intake hoses are good and non leaky. Does this engine have DISA? Check the flap and gaskets if it does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

INPA was pretty easy to get working, if I remember correctly the key is to install the different packages in the correct order and also configuring the ODB adapter COM port properly.

I think the best forum for the alphabet soup software is BMWcoders.

Cached Money fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jul 4, 2018

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

BloodBag posted:

I can't say I've ever heard of a MK3 Focus having this problem, and they're all direct injected. What about the Isuzu Axiom? Or a bunch of KIAs with that GDI stuff. It seems to me it's more of a German car issue, as VAG cars are well known for coking up, and apparently so are BMWs. Does Porsche or Mercedes to this too?

I know toyota takes care of it by having a second set of intake injectors.

I know I'm replying to a 3 month old post, but the Mitsubishi 2.4 GDI engines (4G64) are notorious for this and the second hand value of cars with that engine here reflects that.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

Seminal Flu posted:

Purely coincidental, the light is just a thermostat fault, it would have kept on pulling, I ran out of road. But yeah, they trigger on so many stupid things. Thankfully, the only times I've seen the "half engine" light were when things were legitimately disconnected (bypass valve blew off, pressure hose blew off, etc.)

Edit: In doing some looking, I think I have a better than even chance of it being just fine with the removal of the front driveshaft, like IOC said. I'm assuming the noise is from the transfer case or the front diff, and removing the driveshaft takes that load off. Bonus would be burnouts. Negative would be traction, since it loses traction driving all 4 wheels.

Re: thermostat fault. Have you checked the wiring to the thermostat to see if it's all connected right? I learned through my friends car that BMWs (and probably lots of other cars) have electronically controlled thermostats that can be opened electronically to speed up engine warmup for better fuel economy and poo poo. We just replaced his because it was toast and probably never was replaced ever since the car rolled out of the dealership in '04.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

LloydDobler posted:

Yeah, Volvo's been riveting speakers since the 80's. At least now they put in plastic adapters like that where you can fit an aftermarket speaker in there and it's the right size and bolt pattern. A while back they would have odd bolt patterns and odd sizes, and it was a mess of home-made adapters and covers to get anything aftermarket in there.

On my friends pos Seat we just used windshield goop to glue in replacement speakers because either the speakers we took out of a Mitsubishi Galant had non standard bolt patterns or the Seat did. Worked great honestly, but lol if you ever would have to replace those speakers again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

meatpimp posted:

"Screw the next guy" can sometimes be a viable option.

It was a beater anyways so no one would probably ever have to replace those speakers before it ended up in the scrap yard (which it did, not long after my friend sold it).