Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Sweet, beige leather interior on navy blue is far from the worst combo on big BMWs.

Are those Thule Aerobars and were they included?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Seminal Flu posted:

Yeah, they were held on with strap feet, also Thule, I guess they're good? (Edit: I just looked them up, retails for $400 for the bars and feet... not bad. Maybe I'll get $200 out of them and be into the car for $3800.)

They're pretty good but a bit expensive... nice if you buy into the system with the t-slots and all that, for bike racks etc.

Don't forget that they're modular so the bars can be used with different feet etc.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
IMHO you need to get yourself Carly for BMW and a dongle and get some more BMW-specific info out of that car.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Yeah, my E87 (shorter wheelbase, I realize, but still) you can jack up one jacking point and the car will basically lift that side. I'm not proud but I have done a wheel change that way.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I think it allows them to manufacture to looser tolerances and then just compensate in software, but yeah, means recoding. It is my understanding that one doesn't have to replace all of them at once, but it could be.

Ayup.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
If is anything like the N43 it’s the oil filter housing which also has an oil/coolant heat exchanger because BMW.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Investigating further, it doesn't seem like you have the heat exchanger:

Still a way over-engineered design though.

Speaking of N54s, turns out you can get it in a 3-series touring with a manual. In Karmesinrot.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
When I bought my E87LCI it had only ever been dealer serviced. Cue a bolt missing from the cowling and two from the center underbody tray. Also, they sold the PO a liter of Castrol as a spare (so just a normal 1L plastic bottle of Castrol oil) for the same price as the charged for the oil for the oil changes: ~$40/liter.

Like Oglaf says, it’s a good thing rich people have lots of money, they wouldn’t make it in the real world.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I wonder if the DSC stuff could be coded to be permanently off - the start/stop in mine certainly can.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Not an emptyquote.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I’m guessing this is the insignia, is there a similar drivetrain offering in Europe?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

BloodBag posted:

electric parking brakes.

My mate had his seize on his Passat CC and they were something dumb like $900 per side.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Wow, that's quite the score...

Do you buy chains by the dozen with that thing?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
How about some neodiddlium magnets?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
My ghetto rear end just wanted to place an order with supermagnete.de and then use them to hold the headliner in place, and never do anything about it again...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Please start a thread on it, I want to see. I built a deck by myself a couple of years ago, and that also took for loving ever.

And amen to the sucks-to-be-working-single-handedly. I used to moonlight for a dude who renovated his entire house, and it was blatantly obvious that being two people is way more than twice as efficient as being one.