Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

Mister Herr Pimp,

I could use some advice/insight here.

I’ve been offere my godfather’s (‘08) e61 535xi for free. It hasn’t been driven regularly since September of 2017, and even since then, maybe 200 miles. I believe it has around 140k. Apparently there’s an intermittent issue with the transmission where it will sometimes feel like a tire has a flat spot (?). I have a feeling it’ll be either something simple and inexpensive, or, uh, the polar opposite.

Oh yeah, and it’s in CT, and I live 200 miles away in the figerlakes, in NY. BUT, I do have a superduty ford (that I just did the drive in today), and a flatbed rental from uHaul is something like $120.

The vin is Cx01489 if you have any insights about what this car is wearing.

I don’t have much more than a few grand to put towards this- we just bought a house, the kid’s childcare is about to explode in cost- and any work would most likely be on jack stands in my driveway (I do have lift access 25 miles away if things get really weird and it’s worth calling in a favor). But I’m thinking, at the very least, it’s a free N54.

I’m pretty sure i’m going to get the ball rolling on this (even parted, out, I can’t imagine how I couldn’t cover the $120 it’ll cost me to get it to my house).

So tell me, is this a good, bad idea, or THE BEST bad idea?

E: I haven’t had a vested interest in learning the BMW alphabet soup lingo, so it’s mostly just flown over my head, wi5h that in mind, I’m thinking it’s probably easier just to ask- how much money have you spent just on code readers or reading software or..? I have a feeling that’s going to be a big part of sorting the transmission issue.

glyph fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Mar 17, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

meatpimp posted:

you go get that car.

:patriot: yes, SIR.

Enjoy the aloha state, some days I wonder why I ever left.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

BloodBag posted:

Willing to bet that's a driveshaft issue. Arent the AWD systems from the 5/X5 notorious for making GBS threads the u joints out?

Would that be intermittent and/or toss a code?

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

meatpimp posted:

I've got $6500 in the car. I'll be listing it for either $7800 or $8200, depending on how I feel at the time. I should be able to get $7k pretty easily. Goon price a little less. It is a 3-owner, service documented car with no repaints, looks really good and is fast as balls. I think it'll sell.

Unless you sell to a goon or someone who makes you an offer you can’t refuse, would you mind hanging on to whatever spares/diagnostic stuff for [selling to] me? I have a feeling I have some work to do.

I’m tentatively picking up the e61 on the weekend before tax day.

glyph fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Mar 30, 2019

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

All this hawaiian food talk has be searching for locations of L&L here on the mainland. There's one near Fort Drum in the nutty lake effect snow totals part of NY? WTF? Obv, not the ideal loco moco, but WAY better than nothing. (UH Manoa, 2001-2003, whattup)

meatpimp posted:

You still on for this weekend? I need to laugh at someone else's E61 pain (other than the new owner of mine).

It's been kicked back a few weekends because of things largely out of my control- coordinating schedules with an oft-out of town family member, Easter, the better 7/8 is moving her practice at the end of the month, I have to move out of my bicycle fixin' garage by the end of the same month, I haven't even checked if uHaul has a trailer available...

However, I've made my commitment to taking this off his hands and we're both 100% in. It'll be here in upstate NY by mother's day come hell or high water.

Oh, and as an aside, that manual sedan on Copart (I watched the auction close) went for $2400.

glyph fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Apr 12, 2019

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

Mr. Pimp, I owe you a giant long post, but now isn't the time. I have done absolutely nothing with the parts you sent me, however, the free61 is finally legal and I'm dailying it for the time being to learn its ways.

For those playing at home, the driveline shudder was a cracked right inner CV boot and bone rear end dry joint, which I only saw when I removed the undertray to delete the front drive shaft (i still drove it for two weeks w/o the drive shaft, no codes nor lights :iiam:.) $65 from rockauto [for now] for an axle, and Bob is your mother's brother. Wasn't even that hard to install.

I keep aiming for the M5 swaybar install, but chickening out... I need to get some impact torx- when I took the LCA off the ball joint I learned those nylock nuts they use don’t gently caress around.

glyph fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Sep 16, 2019

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

meatpimp posted:

2018 Lightning R-84 carbon fiber recumbent. This is a weirdo bike that I paid $890 for only because glyph was cheering me on.

2015 Trek Domane Project One.

:hfive:

Dude, I know I know these numbers but it's awesome to see them all in one place.

Being the devil on your shoulder for those auctions closing was one of the more fun internet experiences I've had.

If you ever need help spending money again, how buddy, I got you.

poo poo. We didn't even know the domane had a power meter until you sent that pic from your car.

I'll take my commission via cash or money order. Or rolled coins, dealer's choice. :v:

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

meatpimp posted:

I come out good on the back side of this and I got you. :wink:

Still low key bummed “we” missed the c40, but probably better to not have to temptation in this time of belt tightening to buy it off of you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

Hey, Meatpimp.

Is it your [milestone] birthday yet?

Happy Birthday.