Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

acumen posted:

This game is pretty great but holy poo poo can I not decide on a 3-team and what subclasses they should have.

My best guess so far is:

Olberic(main) +hunter
Alfyn +scholar
Tressa +dancer

I've been enjoying thief (the only secondary I have thus far) on Olberic because Steal SP with his stats is a lot of fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Mordiceius posted:

How important are Ophilia's and Primrose's path actions?

I'm thinking switching from Tressa/Cyrus/H'aanit/Primrose to Tressa/Cyrus/H'aanit/Therion

Guiding NPCs around doesn't seem as useful as buying/stealing everything, investigating people, and mauling them with animals.

Some sidequests do require them as the solution.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Folt The Bolt posted:

Also, I just started Cyrus's second tale and oh boy that beginning... :allears: Cyrus is definitely my favorite character of the eight.

I hope you had Ophelia in your party....

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

DLC Inc posted:

this got asked but not answered before/maybe missed it but are subclasses permanent or can you keep assigning them or swapping them out to your characters?

You can swap them out, but the each subclass can only be equipped to one character at a time.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

fadam posted:

So there's no real reason to put your character into Subclasses if you have no interest in their active skills right? Like I could keep a character as whatever until I get ~2k JP, then briefly swap to Dancer and buy three skills to get the MP regen passive, then swap back?

You do get a stats buff from subjobs as well (plus weapon access), so active skills are not the only reason, but yeah, there is no reason to switch classes to grind, which is great.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Andrast posted:

Any class can equip sub-skills as long as you just have it learned. No need to stay as a warrior.

Warrior is the most sensible secondary stat-bonus wise for H'aanit (2nd best physical attack... Hunter giving the best), and has a divine skill that's highly useful for her, too.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Your Computer posted:

If I remember correctly, wasn't Bravely designed with the damage cap in mind? Like, the only way you could break it was with the extremely overpowered streetpass thing right? I can't remember breaking it (no streetpass) and can't remember it ever being a problem.

Sounds like a bigger problem in this game though, potentially.

I just hit the cap with Olberic in his chapter 3 midboss, and it's not like I have a special ultra-clever build or anything... But at that point the passive for overcoming that was no longer a clear waste of a slot.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Harrow posted:

Of interest here is that Ophilia might not make a great physical attacker, but she is very tanky. Giving her Warrior as a subjob could make her a pretty good Paladin-type character. Sure, she won't hit mega-hard with physical attacks, but she can take some serious damage before she's in trouble.

Might also be good synergy there with the cleric passive that let's her be healed above max hp.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Glad to see that in Ch3 Cyrus is still committed to the cause of open access publishing

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
12 path prequel seems plausible?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

That's all of the extra shrines down. My lead character Therion just hit level 41. With the knowledge of the passives and which characters are most useful for tackling these challenges, I imagine they could've all been done at even lower levels. I love that about this game and about the Bravely series, too.

... I really suck at this game, don't I?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

How can they say "no overlap" after 8 endings when 2 of them mention the same person..?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
... Sealticge's Seduction will work on Starseer skills, won't it?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Just finished Ochette's story, 7 more final chapters to do. A bit worried about my levels, since that boss was intense, and I am not at 45 (except for miss axe amputator).

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Got myself wrecked by the boss on Agnea's final chapter.

First fight took two tries --- needed to put some status resist gear to unconscious on Castti. Then lost on second fight for less obvious reasons, and it was too late to continue. Probably could do more with her new skill though, especially since Osvald was around, though usually she is the one doing much of the buffing for me. Having a second warrior would probably help, but I am not sure where to put it.

One dumb mistake I had was that Osvald was secondary-jobbing in pharma, but somehow I forgot to teach him rehabilitate. Also evading in Agnea didn't seem very effective, maybe I should swap for some passives and equipment for defense or HP..

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
I wish I understood how the stats on the different weapons interacted --- the UI seems to show different totals based on what's selected, but what happens for spells, or stuff like learned skills?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

JuniperCake posted:

It's literally Crick's first day on the job, give the poor guy a break.

Though everything about Temenos and his story is great. Besides the obvious Sherlock comparisons, there's a long standing tradition of monk/nun detective novels so it was really neat to see one play out in a JRPG format.

I could have played a whole game of just him and Crick solving mysteries frankly.

It's funny to me how much worse Temenos is at questioning people than Castti (well, OK) and... Osvald?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Uff, done with the eight stories. Had quite some difficulty with final boss of Agnea's (trying to do it second)... putting it off to last helped. Some nice boss variety overall.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Man, the final boss is kicking my rear end and it's just phase one...

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Finally beat the final (story) boss (after taking a week's break after dying at last stage. Mostly just needed to be less stingy with the pomegranate powers, but also some lessons:

1. Fully boosted summon beasts can be hilarious against shields.
2. Fully boosted hire veterans is pretty awesome, too.
3. Sealtige is as good as one expects as long as one invests the BP restore to make it frequent. Going to 9999 HP is pretty helpful for final bosses final phase gimmic.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
One complication is that for endgame you're locked at night until you finish the final boss, so some of your path actions will be unavailable, like say picking up skills for Hikari, so you want to do that first.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
I have a soft spot for Hikari since he is totally a Suikoden protagonist.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Mustard Iceman posted:

e: fixed the problem. best of luck to ya.

side note: Remedy is so drat good with the Dancer's divine skill.

Also the animation at max boost is hilarious.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
This is a weird conversation for me since I have a bad sense of direction, but fortunately the dungeons in OC2 are just small enough that I don't get lost... while in other games I am bound to get disoriented (and making sure the minimap doesn't rotate is like the first thing I check).

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
I feel like the dungeons are noticeably bigger in II than I, but they're never huge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
re: loose ends: some new side quests unlock every time you finish a story.