Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

I just got 2 and I don’t remember being this lost in 1 but my memory is pretty fuzzy. Am I supposed to just beeline for chapter 2 of my starting character? Or go and pick up all the other characters first?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

SKULL.GIF posted:

You'll probably want to at least pick up 3 more people for a full team before doing any chapters 2. Once you have a full team you can just play the game in whatever order you like.

Thanks! Like I said my memory is shot so I don’t remember if 1 had breadcrumbs leading you to more party members but 2 seems to be “well I mean they’re here if you want.”

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Harrow posted:

What I did was run around the world grabbing all 8 characters, then just explored and did chapters as I felt like, shuffling around my party as I went.

This is what I’m gonna do. Gotta be honest the cleric is a dork I do not like his intro chapter. I started thief this time. In the first game I went dancer.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Harrow posted:

Excuse me but Temenos "Sherlock Holmes But Somehow Even Gayer" Mistral kicks rear end :colbert:

Maybe he'll grow on me idk. He's better than Cyrus was I'll say that.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Switching to Japanese voices because Partitio’s accent is not something I can put up with for the whole game.

I’ve got 7 of 8 party members and I’m having a lot of fun just running around meeting them, even if “Oh cool you’re on an adventure too? Let’s hang out!” Is falling kind of flat for me. I hope I can add second jobs because I always loved having a dancer mage in the first game.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

I’m glad I didn’t give in to impatience and played through everyone’s chapter 1. Felt like I would’ve missed a lot if I’d skipped it.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

I’m partway through my second chapter 2 after getting all the party members and I’m so goddamn hooked. I’ve been wandering some danger level 20 areas to try and get my party up a bit so I can steal more poo poo. Game owns, can’t wait to start hitting dungeons and stuff.

The first chapter 2 I did was Throné’s and there wasn’t any combat so I’m kind of hoping that changes later in the game.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Harrow posted:

Yeah generally yeah the chapters' structures vary a lot, sometimes there's no combat, sometimes there's no dungeon but there is a boss, sometimes there's a dungeon and no boss, etc.

That’s so cool. I really feel (could be wrong of course) that they really added a lot more depth and mechanics to the sequel.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Lmao I almost hosed myself over. I had a dude that caused a Bewildering whatever with me and didn’t realize how many Agnea moves count as dances until I ran face first into a boss :v:

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Speaking of Ochette, were Beastlings in the first game, or is this like, a new world?

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Oops I did that thing where I was trying to level up some underleveled party members before their chapter 2 and found a couple too many Caits and now Throné is level 30 before I’ve finished all the chapter 2 stories.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Right, I keep forgetting that. Well having a high level Throné does mean I can steal everything not nailed down.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Harrow posted:

(This is assuming you don't want to just have her nuke everything, of course.)

I don’t have the gear for her to nuke everything but being able to steal almost anything is great.

And honestly I’m playing this for the characters and the stories and the music. If I overpower the combat, that’s not the end of the world for me.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

I don't like the Inventor subclass cause it makes my lil' dudes look dumb as hell :colbert:

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

I haven't done any Googling Bing'ing so I don't actually know where the places to go to get the unlocked secondary jobs, so it's been really fun to explore and find the guilds by accident. I don't have dancer yet but I did stumble onto scholar so my Throné has that so I could ditch Osvald.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Does like no one have Wind damage except Dancer? This sucks so bad :smith:

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

I don’t know if I should be sticking with a core party and rotating out the current story character, or trying to keep everyone leveled up.

I am in love with this game. It’s more Octopath which is all I wanted. I played the first on Xbox and had held out hoping the sequel would come to it too, but I somehow doubt it. And having played a bunch I’m actually happy with the switch version and being able to play anywhere not just in front of my tv.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

MuadDib Atreides posted:

Xbox is junk OP. All game support has vaporized and Microsoft is tacitly no longer supporting the platform and will soon be openly “moving away from the gaming sector”

:chloe:

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Harrow posted:

I just rotated the party around the whole time and it worked out well. You’ll eventually want everyone leveled up so it’s helpful to give everyone some time with the party.

Okay thanks! It is fun to hear the lil’ combat quips gassing each other up when breaks happen.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Okay I have grown to love Agnea being an absolute naive ditz.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

I’m on chapter 3 of Castti’s story and poo poo’s real hosed up :smith:

Edit: Malaya what the the fuckkkkkkkkkk this is so sad

Chasiubao fucked around with this message at 05:51 on May 1, 2023

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

I struggle with debuffing and buffing because I'm always consumed with "gotta do damage". Not sure how to shift my stupid brain.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Good lord how much HP does a Chubby Cait have?

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

GloomMouse posted:

80 hp iirc, soulstones, a step ahead, and leghold trap are your friends

That’s a lot of soulstones, friend!

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

I really like how you can succeed with absolutely random character mixes. I like being able to steal everything not nailed down so Throné and Agnea are staples in my party and I just mix up their secondary classes to whatever the other two randos don’t cover.

Warrior Agnea is so dumb I love her.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

FireWorksWell posted:

It's really cute, too. But I guess saying that is redundant considering who we're talking about.

I really love the detail of the way her ears move during cutscenes :3:

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

I am really loving this game and already hoping they’ll make another one. In a way I’m glad Redfall was a flop so I didn’t have to say no to people asking me to play it, so I can focus on Octopath :unsmith:

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Assuming that 2 has the same hidden super hard boss as 1: do I need to have the whole gang leveled and equipped? In 1 I ran around with a core group and kept the other four leveled just enough for their stories. So that last part was a total brick wall and I never went back to finish it.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Harrow posted:

There's also a separate superboss that is much harder but optional.

There was a superboss in 1 that had like "beat all the bosses in shadow form" or whatever and then the final boss you needed to bring the whole gang and that's where I hit the wall. Is that kinda how 2's works as well?

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Final chapter: IS EVERYONE GOING TO BETRAY ME :kingsley:

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

I got unpleasantly surprised by the epilogue? additional story? boss when they booted my crew for the other four. The other four who had nothing equipped at all. I was so annoyed I turned my Switch off and I haven't gone back to it since. I probably will eventually but that sucked so bad.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

I DID IT :toot: Man the foreign assassins are some hot bullshit huh :v:

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

I can’t decide who my Conjurer should be. I had it on Agnea for that last boss, so she could sling the magic buffs and cast her wind bullshit, but I’m not sure if that was the best job on her. I’ve tried Sorcerer on her but it doesn’t feel like a great fit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

I'm extremely excited to play this game again from scratch when it comes out on Xbox because I am a dumb idiot with goldfish memory :unsmith: I think I'll start with Castii instead of Throne though. I never paid much attention to all the neat Apothecary stuff in 1 or 2, so it'll be fun to focus on that.