Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kale
May 14, 2010

I find JRPG's (especially ones with a sort of anime/manga artstyle) are doing this more and more now in the Reiwa era almost to where I'm getting used to it, but not still not quite, where for example in Agnea's story arc climax you aren't fighting some hideous potentially world ending fire breathing monster/demon or a really powerful warrior or something ,but having an RPG mechanic transposed emotional climax battle where you're "fighting" some arrogant opera diva in a music competition yet the way it's translated into battle it's like she could theoretically take out an entire party of seasoned end game actual fighters, wizards and what not by singing songs and apparently casting high level AoE spells. Actually a lot of this franchise from the original 2018 game through the mobile game and now seem to have these like emotional climax chapter bosses where it's unrealistic to assume that that character could put up any sort of serious fight or have any sort of real stamina, but for the purposes of the psychological impression of the focus party character they're like an immovable concept to surmount and even appear as such as these gigantic half screen filling sprites. I remember feeling that with Helgenish for example in the original game or say the playwright and actress bosses I saw footage of in the mobile game. Like some rival actress throwing a narcisstic tantrum is a legit boss fight strictly because the focus character sees them as such. It's kind of funny that this somehow draws the other party members into this concept though and they definitely need their help to get through these as it's still mechanically and difficulty wise a real rear end boss fight

Anyway I guess it just kind of shows the sort of creativity or conceptual reimagining that probably has to happen with a 40ish year old concept that is turn based JRPG's.

dude789 posted:

Lmao this game's writing has the subtlety of a mace thus far. I'm doing Oswald's story and it looks like the guy who sent him to prison was named
"Harvey." This has been my favorite story so far but I've been losing momentum for the same reasons as Octopath 1 where wandering through the overworld sections to meet other party members was extremely tedious.

Yeah this franchise definitely has almost Shakespeare like ultra dramatic embellished storytelling and scene direction. It feels like it's very much meant to invoke the idea of watching a play both visually, and story presentation wise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kale
May 14, 2010

I've recently been checking out some of the Champions of the Continent stories on youtube and it looks like the spirit of the series is still kind of there in them outside of the gacha elements, which I don't have to deal with since I'm not actively playing the game. It definitely has that similar gravitas and dramatic poise of the Switch games with the various Champions of the Continent (basically the chapters main villains and not heroic at all) all being pretty atypical of what you'd expect of JRPG villains (The Master of Power one comes closest to being what you'd typically expect in that it's this corrupt rear end in a top hat mercenary general dude), but for Octopath's more character driven personal stories make perfect sense. There all like microcosms of "the elite" that people love to hate.

Kale fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Sep 18, 2023