Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

WarpDogs posted:

Literally the only thing I didn't like from the first demo is that it seemed to imply you could only view the 'prologue' chapter of the 1st character you pick - when you recruit the next character it's past that part of their story. I'm a sucker for origin stories, and the two in the demo both seemed really well done so I hope I don't have to essentially start the game 8 times if I want to experience them myself.

Anyway, the game seems super rad and I am so ready for it. I saw on Twitter it's an 80-100 hour game with sidequests which completely changed how I thought this game would unfold. That's completely absurd

No, once you get all the party members there's an option to play their origin. The latest overall trailer literally said you can experience all their origins in one playthrough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Your Computer posted:

Speaking of voices, I think it's very cool & good that they let you listen to the Japanese voices in the demo. It has become more common for games to offer dual audio (also cool & good) but like 99% of demos only feature English voices, presumably for space reasons, so I'm very happy.

Japanese voices aren't in commonly because of licensing issues. It is in many cases very expensive to license out the japanese audio to the point of dubbing being much cheaper to do.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Octopath is named after the 8 party member's first letter of their names

The 1st demo got over a million downloads. Changing the name would be a terrible business move.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

It's the beginning of a 50 hour rpg

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

You can play all 8 origins when the party's assembled, so choosing isn't that important for the full game.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The recent interview with the developers suggest that the reason why there's little to no conversation at the beginning of the game is because you can straight up not recruit characters and still beat the game.

Also bee lining the game takes 50 hours which what the gently caress.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

g0lbez posted:

Is there any indication that they reviewed any of the feedback received from the demo and implemented it in any fashion? I know probably not because of how far along in development it was when the first demo came out but I'm wondering why even bother having a survey like that then.

You mean the first demo? They added a ton of QoL after the initial demo.

Also any feedback they receive from this demo will probably be patched in the future. Xenoblade 2 got a poo poo ton of QoL patches months after release.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

This is specifically what they changed from the initial demo to the current one:
-Running is automatic when you tilt the stick all the way.
-You can run even faster by pressing B while running, but it increases encounter rate
-Fast travel
-Visual changes to make moving in the environment easier
-Radar that points to entrances, exits, and important areas
-Filter settings on the brightness and on the HD-2D
-Reworked the save UI so you're less likely to overwrite a save; also you'll have 10 save slots total (One is auto-save)
-Reworked Text UI
-Added Skip function to cutscenes; replay feature to rewatch scenes
-Made Text faster, added option to adjust speed

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Square is cross promoting Octopath with their mobile game

No, not that mobile game like Record Keeper with actual sprites

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nqoeusgmaI

The 3D game with 3D models

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

You can recruit 0 or 8 characters, you can play all 8 origins in one playthrough.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The game is not SaGa. I dunno what SaGa is, but I'm like 99% sure you'll hate the game with expectations that it will be like a SaGa with the way people talk about it.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Divinity Original Sin 2 had a major overarching plot while also incorporating every possible character's backstory into it.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

minya posted:

It seems certain characters are just objectively more powerful than others, yeah? I started with H'aanit and her beast summon thing was so much stronger than anything Therion or Alfyn could muster.

You're 3 hours into a 50+ hour rpg without access to mid game techniques or even job mixing.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Jason Kotaku's favorte rpg this year is Ni No Kuni 2, take that as your will

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I'd figure Tressa would be a permanent addition since you get passive money just for traveling.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The biggest shock I've read today is that Tressa's VA is Sarah Ryder from Mass Effect.

Good god, that director must've been poo poo.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

fadam posted:

That's good to hear. I guess that Jason Schreier guy was wrong?

The guy called I am Setsuna a masterpiece and the future of retro games is solved

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I'm assuming Theron's SP thief drops off quick, because it's been my main damage dealer since it's a natural two hit and basically is free.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

My Tressa is currently Warrrior cause hitting things is always useful

I might make her a healer or apothecary in the end because I don't want to waste her BP share usage.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

There's a reason why Tressa is the one on the back of the box for job changes

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I got SP saver on Cyrus, welp battles should go smoother.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Finished my second Chapter 2 in Primrose, pretty much steam rolled it since my party is currently:

Tressa Hunter: Class doesn't really matter, she's a BP/buff battery.

Cyrus Merchant: Has SP regen, half SP, pretty much busted at this point

Therion Cleric: Dagger makes him unlimited SP

4th slot is Story Character. Gonna be a long while until I actually decide on this.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The Steal SP/HP skills are so good, basically any boss with a dagger weakness is a cakewalk since it's a free 2 break for no bp.

I'm hoping to eventually switch Therion off my team to get challenge/allure into my party, but is there any super important purple chests in the game? I don't care about cash.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I'm watching a man dying while playing octopath, because he declared to not stop streaming until he beats the game

He said this when he hasn't even started half the chapter 3's yet

edit: according to his archives, he's on hour 25

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I'm at a point where I can just steam roll through level 35 areas, so my 4th slot is just going to be a Merchant BP battery as I cruise through chapter 2.

I might do Runelord after starting chapter 3.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Watching the extremely spoilery run of the endgame, any reviewer that said they beat it in 36 hours is a goddamn liar

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

acumen posted:

The worst part is there is already obvious overlap in just the chapter 4s so they clearly weren't paying attention or just straight up didn't finish them all.

I trust a man that says I am Setsuna is a masterpiece while octopath is a disaster of an experiment

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The endgame is hard enough that any grinding is not overkill

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

404notfound posted:

What's a good job to slap on Therion? Preferably not apothecary, warrior, or dancer since those are the rest of my A team.

Cleric, since his thief moves don't really benefit from boost.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

lol apparently Octopath instantly sold out their restock in Japan

22k in 3 hours.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Got all the bonus jobs and can go to the final dungeon but read a post saying that it's ideal to have everyone at level 65 at least for it

That is a poo poo ton of grinding and can't be right, right? :psyduck:

The final boss requires you to break the game like never before

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I'm not sure how people are reliably doing the Starseer cheese strat, or I have really bad RNG because she almost immediately removes the buffs.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Finally beat my first advanced job. Now how exactly does Transfer rune work. Is it just her own self-buffs, or can I cast reflect on her to party reflect?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Outside of JP Up, Starseer seems meh?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I guess I wasn't impressed at the BP thing because Alfyin can do that right off the bat.

Warmaster went down by far the easiest. Runelord is a dumb class on Tressa. Everyone had +6 counts of sidestep, and Cyrus was dealing more damage off a runelord effect than his own spells.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Poison+Leg trap is a staple in boss fights. Poison especially lets you passively set up big turns without wasting damage.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

panascope posted:

Trying to start Primrose’s chapter 2, but when I enter the town the little prompt that usually pops up to start the quest isn’t firing. Is there any thing specific I need to do? I’ve done a couple other chapter 2s so I’m not sure what’s wrong.

Go to the tavern and Hear a Tale.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The problem with using beasts late game is that's not a runelord powered attack instead

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The elemental runes do a poo poo load of damage, iirc elemental break can trigger rune pursuit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I haven't had much trouble with money since my approach to battle involves Cyrus, Poison, and upkeep on magic. Weapons are for breaking shields.