Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

I don't think I've posted much since I bought this last week, but holy poo poo is this good. Continued from my demo save and I am maining Cyrus; after finishing his intro I stopped since I knew I would start the full game eventually. I've finished all Ch 1s and I enjoy how many different stories and genres are contained in the game. I thought that I wouldn't enjoy the stories not being connected as much early on, but I'm pleasantly surprised.

For my team, I'm most interested in an antiestablishment crew: Cyrus, Tressa, Therion, Primrose. I like the idea of a bunch of different characters to use, but I think I want to complete Ch 2s for my main crew and pick off the others piecemeal. I don't really want to do other characters I don't care about right now because it will feel like work.

I showed Octopath to my mostly-not-a-gamer partner and she's been really enjoying it. I haven't really explained what jrpgs typically are and she's going into it fairly blind at 12hrs so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
At what point can you start tackling the advanced jobs? And what are the general strats?

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Etrips posted:

At what point can you start tackling the advanced jobs? And what are the general strats?

You can do them as early as 35 if you know the strats. I posted a huge paragraph about Runemaster earlier which is the most difficult one and I don't wanna take up a whole page just for that. Starseer and Sorcerer can be cheesed with using the Dancer divine skill to cast reflect on your entire party. Warlord cheese requires you to have already beaten Runemaster and equip it onto Tressa, use Rune Transfer to cast Sidestep on the whole party.

Also god drat some of these side missions are toughies. I feel like I have all the puzzle pieces for some of them but I just don't know how they fit together. Key example is the one girl who wants to be a singer but can't leave her dad - I found her dad and I found the moneylender, I just don't know how to thread the needle between the three.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Also god drat some of these side missions are toughies. I feel like I have all the puzzle pieces for some of them but I just don't know how they fit together. Key example is the one girl who wants to be a singer but can't leave her dad - I found her dad and I found the moneylender, I just don't know how to thread the needle between the three.

I accidentally solved that one by beating the crap out of the dad iirc :pram:

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Your Computer posted:

I accidentally solved that one by beating the crap out of the dad iirc :pram:

lmao I was like "there's no way that's the solution right? there's no way." At this point I've found and spoken to basically everyone in the game I have access to so those are the only types of solutions left. Though, I still haven't found the third Crest Mercenary, so I suspect there might be some NPCs locked behind the story

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

Etrips posted:

For any physical bosses, Sidestep is king.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Sonce we’re all posting parties and jobs, help me fix any problems I might have goons with a better head for this.

Tressa/thief
Olberic/apothecary
Therion/dancer
Cyrus/cleric

I’m pretty happy with it but I’m sure there’s ways I could swap things around to make them more efficient. I don’t have the advanced jobs yet but those will add whole new wrinkles.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

You can do them as early as 35 if you know the strats. I posted a huge paragraph about Runemaster earlier which is the most difficult one and I don't wanna take up a whole page just for that. Starseer and Sorcerer can be cheesed with using the Dancer divine skill to cast reflect on your entire party. Warlord cheese requires you to have already beaten Runemaster and equip it onto Tressa, use Rune Transfer to cast Sidestep on the whole party.

*As early as the low to mid 20s provided you have the necessary skills, but it'll take awhile and be fraught with danger.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I solved a sidequest once after talking to some guy who threatened me, so I beat the poo poo out of him and go right to a cutscene where a cleric from the next town (that I hadnt been in yet) thanks me for solving their problem

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
Alfyn's chapter 3, with all the talk about dirty, rotten, no-good thieves must be awkward for Therion :v:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
lol apparently Octopath instantly sold out their restock in Japan

22k in 3 hours.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Control Volume posted:

I solved a sidequest once after talking to some guy who threatened me, so I beat the poo poo out of him and go right to a cutscene where a cleric from the next town (that I hadnt been in yet) thanks me for solving their problem

Hah yeah, I ran into the same one last night.

"Talk poo poo get hit!" :fuckoff:
:catholic:: "Hey thanks for the help!"
:confused:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Some Numbers posted:

So what I'm getting from this is that I should not attempt any of the advanced jobs without the Dancer and Cleric Divine Skills?

I beat 3 of them without either (and all 4 without the Cleric divine skill). Those skills help but are not in any way required.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Licarn posted:

Alfyn's chapter 3, with all the talk about dirty, rotten, no-good thieves must be awkward for Therion :v:

Well, Therion is a thief, not a murderer.

Except for the several dozen guards we saw him murder while he was "sneaking" through the Ruvel's mansion, I guess.

And I guess since he didn't say anything like "Man, this usually never happens! I can't believe I've been caught by, and subsequently had to murder, so many guards," you kinda have to assume this is par for the course for him, and any time he robs a mansion he leaves way more dead bodies behind than Miguel ever could.

Huh.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Bussamove posted:

Sonce we’re all posting parties and jobs, help me fix any problems I might have goons with a better head for this.

I think it's a bad mindset to say "okay here is the cement secondary job I am using for each character." Like, if a boss is weak against bows, switching Therion over to Hunter would suddenly become your most effective character since a single Arrow Storm will probably shred all his shield charges. Likewise, right now Olberic is the only one capable of using axes, and Tressa is the only one able to use bows. You might not need axes or bows all the time, but just switch up if you do.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Still in the very early game, and I’m trying to pick up Primrose as party member #5. Do bosses scale with # of party members? If so, drat. In fact, the difficulty spiked quite high once I hit 4 members...is that normal?

Also, what am I supposed to be doing besides getting all the other members? I feel rather underpowered.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Pollyanna posted:

Still in the very early game, and I’m trying to pick up Primrose as party member #5. Do bosses scale with # of party members? If so, drat. In fact, the difficulty spiked quite high once I hit 4 members...is that normal?

Also, what am I supposed to be doing besides getting all the other members? I feel rather underpowered.

The early game (chapter 1s) scale up to four party members since you can go for whichever characters you want in whichever order you want.

Other than getting the rest of the cast, try doing the dungeons (one in each of the 8 areas) and getting the subjobs.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Can I get a strat for Runelord? Just got Starseer so figured it was next and welp he's a big fan of naptime and I'm not

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I think there are only 4 non story dungeons in the starter area

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I think it's a bad mindset to say "okay here is the cement secondary job I am using for each character." Like, if a boss is weak against bows, switching Therion over to Hunter would suddenly become your most effective character since a single Arrow Storm will probably shred all his shield charges. Likewise, right now Olberic is the only one capable of using axes, and Tressa is the only one able to use bows. You might not need axes or bows all the time, but just switch up if you do.

Well yeah, if I know something coming up has a particular weakness I’ll switch it up, this is just my general party setup. Olberic dips into hunter quite a bit and Tressa has been a scholar a lot too.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I don't really have set jobs for my party either, I rotate between two or three for each character, which is slowly growing as I unlock the other four.

Then again I also rotate my party pretty regularly to try to keep everyone leveled. Everyone's hovering around 40 right now besides my main at 51, have 5/8 C3's done and all jobs but Starseer (doing two C3's before each subjob, figure that's a good pace to get them).

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Can I get a strat for Runelord? Just got Starseer so figured it was next and welp he's a big fan of naptime and I'm not

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3860038&userid=117149#post486256587

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

An easy-ish strat that doesn't require divine skills but does require money:

Tressa - Warrior
Olberic - Merchant
Alfyn - I think I had him subbed as a hunter for bow breaks and leghold trap, but I never used leghold trap. :shrug:
And then whomever (my main's Therion and he's subbed warmaster, and def down is real handy for Merchant summons)

Alfyn is a BP battery. Tressa and Olberic can trade off on tanking Runelord via the warrior taunt while both building up their stide-step stacks. Alfyn can empoison when he isn't giving BP to people. When the boss gets guard broken you have Tressa and Olberic drop veteran summons on the boss, which should hit for 25k+ if you lowered their defense first. Your 4th party member can contribute with whatever offense they have available. A hunter also works if you want leghold trap for after the break ends.

The main thing is knowing how much damage you can put out during the 2 turns of break and trying to setup later in the fight when the boss is low enough that a break mode damage rush can finish them, but not too low as to send them in to murder mode before you break them (and to break them asap if they are and you can't handle the damage).

in my case I messed up and they barely survived the break mode, but since Tressa and Olberic both had half a dozen side-step stacks they survived, then one used a pomegranate(L) on the other who finished the boss with a merchant summon.

This works too.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
I just used a large Olive of Life on Ophelia, not expecting that she would come back as a 9,999HP unbreakable wall of cute, shrug off multiple consecutive attacks and turn a lost cause into an easy win.

Just started chapter 3 and Miguel is the first boss I've struggled against since early chapter 1.

avoid doorways fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jul 26, 2018

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?

Licarn posted:

Just started chapter 3 and Miguel is the first boss I've struggled against since early chapter 1.

Yeah, he was a fucker! I ended up accidentally discovering the "leghold trap to give yourself free turns, keep boss broken" strategy by doing that fight.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Was pretty slow going but perfectly safe. Thanks for that :v:!

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I can't believe Tressa's storyline is "What If The Real Treasure Was The Friends We Made Along The Way" except totally straight-faced and unironic

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I can't believe Tressa's storyline is "What If The Real Treasure Was The Friends We Made Along The Way" except totally straight-faced and unironic

We truly are the Octopath Travelers.

*Credits*

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Got all the bonus jobs and can go to the final dungeon but read a post saying that it's ideal to have everyone at level 65 at least for it

That is a poo poo ton of grinding and can't be right, right? :psyduck:

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
"Is supposedly a prodigious merchant"

"gets swindled by literally everyone"

Her story is a relatively painless light-hearted romp but it's definitely not good

edit: ^^^ I had all eight at level 70+ with best in slot items (but no battle tested duplicates because of that lovely rng) and it was pretty hard.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Got all the bonus jobs and can go to the final dungeon but read a post saying that it's ideal to have everyone at level 65 at least for it

From what I have heard? No.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Man, Tressa's story is so good.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I finished Primrose's story. Holy poo poo I wish I brought Alfyn or stocked up on Herbs of Clamor. :argh: I'm so glad I got Runelord before that fight because I think I'd have been so hosed without Runes.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

The final boss requires you to break the game like never before

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I know there hasn't been anything major yet but since people are starting to finish chapter 4's, can I just request that we try to keep spoilers in spoiler tags? :shobon:

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face
Has there been a sprite rip yet?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Someone play this game for me; what party composition should I use?

Also is there a map of the subclass dungeons? I haven’t found any

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Your Computer posted:

I know there hasn't been anything major yet but since people are starting to finish chapter 4's, can I just request that we try to keep spoilers in spoiler tags? :shobon:

I haven't even finished all my Chapter 2s yet, I still have Olberic and H'aanit.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Empress Brosephine posted:

Someone play this game for me; what party composition should I use?

Also is there a map of the subclass dungeons? I haven’t found any

All the shrines are near chapter 2 towns, so if you haven't ventured outside of the first ring, you wouldn't have found them yet.

If you want a map, here you go: http://www.ign.com/wikis/octopath-traveler/Job_Shrine_Locations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Got dang. Tonal whiplash playing Tressa and Primrose chp1 back to back