Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

So I finally went and bit the bullet on buying a Switch + this game, just got through Tressa's introduction, and... Well, I'm wondering what the general, non-spoilery recommended course of action is from here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

I’m back with more questions!

I finally finished doing the Chapter 1 quests for all 8, and... I’ve got no clue if I’m diving in way over my head by trying to start with chapter 2 when most of my crew is still in the low to mid teens. Any particular recommendations?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Would anyone happen to have a quick and dirty map of where all of the shrines are?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Thanks for the help, I managed to go and grab them all last night.

I’ve already found that Dancer/Scholar is a monster at casting. Any other particularly standout combinations I should know about?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

I started off with her, so I’ve got no choice unless I restarted. :v:

Don’t get me wrong, I’m still enjoying this so far (...aside from being forced into taming to advance H’aanit’s plot), but I do not envy whoever’s inevitably going to try replaying this for an LP.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Speaking of, any particularly recommended order and party setups for taking on the bonus bosses? I tried Warmaster with Alchemist Tressa, Warrior Ophelia, Scholar Primrose, and Hunter Therion, with all around 50, and did alright right up until I hit the halfway point and found out that the Dancer divine skill doesn’t let Tressa give dodge to the whole party. And the one guide I found on gamefaqs apparently omits them entirely.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Thanks, looking forward to giving them a spin later on, then.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Holy poo poo, Sorcerer and Starseer were a total joke compared to the other two.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

H’alright, so, I’m just finishing up with all of the sidequests now, and then I’m going to look into finally doing the final dungeon.

All of my characters (except H’aanit) are in their mid-60s to low 70s, and have assloads of JP with most Jobs at least leveled up to unlock the associated divine skill.

1. Any particular recommendations for party compositions beyond “have a Cleric in both groups” and having a Runelord Tressa for Sidestep shenanigans?

2. Ditto for Skills beyond the one that ups the damage cap for all of my offensive party members.

3. Any other things I should do for preparation, like specific beasts I should try to tame with H’aanit?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

ullerrm posted:

Both groups need a cleric, dancer, and apoth. First round heavily benefits from a sorcerer. Save your warmaster, and runelord for second round.

This setup is pretty good if you want specific suggestions:

Part 1:
* Primrose as Cleric
* Olberic as Apothecary
* Therion as Merchant
* Cyrus as Sorceror
Part 2:
* Tressa as Runelord
* Ophilia as Dancer
* Alfyn as Starseer
* Haanit as Warmaster

Skills wise, the tier-4 cleric skill (overheal) is mando for everyone, and surpassing power for runelord and warmaster. If you seriously have JP flowing out of your ears, consider getting the tier-4 runelord and warmaster buffs for everyone — having permanent pdef/mdef buffs that can’t be dispelled is super handy.

Load up everyone with the best armor you can get; you want everyone to have at least 650 mdef.

H’aanit beasts don’t matter; they don’t scale anywhere near what she can put out with personal weapons or skills, esp if she’s getting transfer rune.

Thanks for all of this, really. Gonna spend some time grinding H’aanit today, then on to the final boss rush.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

One more thing: do 10-Star Challenge/Provoke characters actually have anything worth grinding them for? I thought I’d read that some of them can drop duplicate Battle-tested gear, but I wanna know for sure.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Aaaand got it on the second try.

I wound up taking the advice of giving everyone the Runemaster and Warmaster perma-buffs, along with the Saving Grace shenanigans. Also slapped Resist Ailment on my support characters, but... honestly, I don’t know how much that wound up helping in the end.

I was actually kind of surprised at how much easier the second half was compared to the first. I’d been mentally preparing for it to be on par with the first, but I wound up accidentally finishing him off with Runelord’s divine skill trying to break him.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

...And now I’ve seen video proof of someone beating both stages of the final boss in under five minutes.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

There’s also a final boss rush that only unlocks after you beat everyone’s story and do a few side stories.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

The good news is that Therion is the only one who can open purple chests... and whoever your lead character is has to be in your party until their story is complete.

Aside from that, just know that the very final boss is unlocked by completing everyone’s story and a few different side stories (some which are really off the beaten path if you don’t already know where to go).

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Just make sure you tame some decent stuff from the surrounding area when you get to Haanit’s Chapter 2, it’s the one time where you’re practically required to do it, and it’s right around the time Linde’s usefulness drops like a brick.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

The requirements are everyone’s Chapter 4 cleared, and a bunch of seemingly unrelated sidequests (some of which start outside of towns), so you’re probably going to want a guide, yeah.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Granted, as Mega64’s ongoing LP of the game recently showed, that can mean that your first couple of Ch. 2 bosses can take a while to beat down.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

It’s structured so that you’re basically going to want to complete every character’s Chapter 1 before you start the Chapter 2’s, and so on and so forth until you’re at everyone’s Chapter 4. Though there are some chapters that are way off on their recommended levels, like Alfyn’s 3.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Basically every time a plot beat or cutscene happens in a character’s story from Chapter 2 and onwards, you’ll probably get chatter with at least one other character. It’s set up so that you’ll have the opportunity to chat with all seven of the other party members.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

And Battle II. :(

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

If you’ve got all four of the advanced jobs, grind up everyone to unlock the permanent Attack and Defense boost passives. You’re also going to want everyone to have the Cleric passive that lets you overheal, and your final slot for your damage dealers should have the Warrior passive that removes the damage cap (MAYBE minus the Sorcerer, since it’s unlikely that each individual hit is going to hit for 10k without some setup).

You’re also going to want to ensure that both parties have a Cleric and an Apothecary. The Cleric is self-explanatory, and the Apothecary can cast Dohter’s Charity on someone so that they can spam BP-restoring items on the entire party.

Also, the difficulty for the final boss is pretty frontloaded, IMO; if you’ve got a Warmaster in the second part, it’s almost hilariously easy if you make sure that they have a constant flow of BP coming in so they can spam their ultimate.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

So does Sorcerer, though.

I personally stuck Starseer on Alfyn just to give him something to do if you’re all good on health for his turn and you don’t need him to help break an enemy.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Good news: if you have a Warmaster in your second group and feed them BP, the second half is almost comically easy.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

They’re basically designed to require certain combos, yeah. You practically need Runelord Tressa (thanks to Transfer Rune + Sidestep) to take on Warmaster. For Runelord himself, you want Warrior Tressa so she can Taunt and Sidestep.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, this game is pretty good for playing in chunks at a time. Each character’s chapters usually take somewhere in the ballpark of an hour or two to clear, plus there’s some added incentive to go exploring the areas between towns to find Job shrines. The only stumbling block would probably be side stories, because some of them have some fairly obtuse solutions that you’d probably want a guide for.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Clanpot Shake posted:

I just got a Switch along with this game and am about 15 hours in. I have all of the shrines except merchant and am starting to build out my party, but I haven't really been able to find a good class guide that isn't an ad-filled slideshow. My main character is the apothecary who I gave scholar, and I've been using the warrior NPC with dancer because he is absolutely disgusting with the eye-for-an-eye passive. Can you equip any of the passive skills on a character that they've unlocked, regardless of current secondary class?

Does H'annit get any less annoying? I haven't used her at all since getting her because of the stupid way she talks.

How badly am I handicapping myself for leaving some NPCs underleveled? My main is like 27 and H'annit is 9, and a couple of the others are high-teens. It seems like the game divvies up the XP to get lower leveled characters up to par quicker. Olberic has not left my party since I got him because he is such a monster and H'annit has the same path action, so it seems weird to use both of them.

Am I missing something or is Concoct really underwhelming?

Yeah, you don’t need to have the same jobs in order to use the associated passives.

There’s a couple points in H’aanit’s story where you need to do monster taming (since Linde’s damage pretty much drops like a brick by the time you’ve reached people’s Chapter 2’s), but outside of those, you can pretty much completely ignore the taming stuff. She doesn’t ever lose her Ye Olden Faux English, though.

I’d personally suggest rotating your party around fairly often, if only because it’s going to be a pain in the rear end to keep them alive to actually get those buckets of EXP when you take them to catch up.

Concoct is pretty busted for partywide healing, and though the raw damage side of it is always hilariously pitiful, it’s great for getting up to 3 hits of an elemental weakness.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, the soundtrack hit it right out of the ballpark. And I loved the hell out of tinkering with my late game party to create some hilariously busted setups (to the point where I had to start handicapping myself to see all of the tricks of some characters’ final bosses).

There are admittedly some pretty major warts once you reach the postgame, but there’s guides that’ll walk you through what to do once you hit the point where you’ve cleared all of the stories of each character and have no drat clue what you’re supposed to do next.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, each character’s chapters usually clock in at an hour or two, which makes this great for doing in small chunks while still feeling like you’re making major progress.

Just do know that the Chapter 2 bosses are where the training wheels very suddenly come off.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Do you have a Warmaster in your second group? Focus on feeding them BP so they can spam their Divine Skill every turn. Would also recommend Alfyn for second group so you can use the Apothecary DS on somebody in the party, and they can then feed everyone else the max BP item.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Make sure to regularly rotate your party around to make sure none of them fall severely behind, because it can be a pain in the rear end to catch them back up the further you go.

Also, starting with the Chapter 2 for every character, you can unlock little bonus conversations between them and each of the other seven over the main plot beats for that chapter. They don’t reveal anything really major, but some of them are pretty hilarious.

Or reveal just how thirsty each of the travelers are for each other.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, sounds like you ran into a Cait. They’re worth a lot of EXP, but are difficult to hit and tend to run away ASAP.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Most of the job shrines are off the beaten path for the pathways leading to Chapter 2 towns. Definitely worth finding a map online and getting them sooner than later, since they open up a shitload of customization and combinations.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, I kinda wonder if the only reason this didn’t get slapped with an M rating was because it’s all in cute pixel art.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

ShootaBoy posted:

Gonna start out by saying that I don't have a ton of JRPG experience outside of the likes of Pokemon, hell I've only ever played a single Final Fantasy game (X, and I did not enjoy it, even with a strategy guide because it was so weird and dumb). But I actually have a Switch of my own now and I'm finding myself awfully tempted by the idea of a content rich game that I can play in places that aren't the same chair I use for my pc and consoles, and at $30 it feels kind of like this is a now or never point to get it.

How hard is this game overall? I doubt I'll ever do any kind of super secret mega boss or anything, or get really into manipulating the systems and stats, I mostly just want to know if this game is gonna kick my rear end up and down if I'm not doing stuff 100% optimally at all times.

Does it have hidden gotcha's at all, or unclear points of no return? It doesn't seem like from what I've looked at, but I've been fooled by games before, so I'm gonna ask anyway to be safe.

This last one isn't a real question I need answered, but how the hell did they get a game looking like this and fit it into less than 5 gigs??? I have games with half as much content but 4 times the filesize while looking worse!

It starts out pretty easy for every character, though there’s a bit of a difficulty spike once you’ve finished recruiting everyone and start doing the second chapters of their stories. There’s only a few bosses that feel very hard depending on when you encounter them.

The only major gotchas in this are entirely optional content in sidequests. And the true final boss.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, there’s also a recommended order for a couple of them.

Having Runelord Tressa makes the Warmaster (and just about every other boss) much easier, since she can give Sidestep to everyone else in your party. The only hitch is that Runelord is the only one who doesn’t have some way to cheese his fight, though he can take a LOT of damage from Poison if you apply it early on.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

The two big things that suck about H’aanit are that the capture chances for monsters later in the game are abysmal, and despite being her constant companion throughout all of it, Linde’s usefulness plummets like a rock by the time you start doing Chapter 2s. I do hope that those are both things that get addressed in any future installments.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

SKULL.GIF posted:

This evening I wandered into Riverford after finishing Orewell and came across the Warbringer. I got blown the hell out my first time around, buckled down and rejiggered all my equipment and skills and went back in and took Winnehild down to critical health over 30 minutes before finally succumbing to the onslaught of attacks. I almost managed to pull it off with my 50/40/35/35 party. The MVP was the overheal skill, allowing Ophilia to tank an unbelievable amount of damage and then pull a "Heroes Never Die!" to pick my entire party back up multiple times. Unfortunately all my debuffs were actively falling off, and I couldn't get the buffs back up in time and start applying enough damage to finish her off before she blew through all my defenses.

Game is good.

The best advice for Warbringer is to get Runelord first, then slap that on Tressa. Have her use Transfer Rune, then a BP-boosted Sidestep, and you’ll trivialize Warbringer and almost every single other boss in the game from that point onwards.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Manxome Foe posted:

Thanks for that. I just looked up a few guides and I think I see how to break the game:

Runelord Tressa
Sorcerer Therion
Warmaster H'annit
Starseer Ophilia

As for earlier in the game...

Warrior Tressa/Merchant Olberic have the simple but effective Sidestep and Taunt combo against mainly physical enemies.

Thief and Hunter combined can be set up as your party’s debuffer, and H’aanit can become really evasive, which is handy for her Provoke fights.

Cleric and Scholar is well-suited for being able to swap between group healing and area damage, though they can go through MP like crazy early on. Scholar and Dancer is also decent at boosting your own damage, though you’ll probably find better combos by the endgame.

Alfyn’s Concoct is straight up busted at everything except damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Best recommendation I have is put a Warmaster into your second party (I chose H’aanit) and Alfyn, and have him pump the rest of the party’s BP up with Concoct and/or the Apothecary ultimate, so your WM can spam their ultimate every turn. Once you kill the initial three parts, just be aware that once he does his “tell” for his ultimate attack, you’ll want to pour everything into breaking him if you can, since you’ll get full BP if you do it.