Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Doing some of the chapter 2s and man Tressa just feels like dead weight half the time with her default skillset. Donating BP is at least kinda cool though.

Also I'm extremely down for Dancer Olberic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yeah I put Scholar on Primrose because of her SP regen passive. Decent synergy, but maybe I'll give her Thief instead.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The problem with starting with Olberic is that H'aanit feels just kinda poor. Her Summon is kinda troublesome to keep up with already, and she's decidedly less durable compared to Olberic or even Alfyn. Most of her skills aren't super good, so I've mostly just been using her as an Apothecary.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
H'aanit also has the issue where her Path skill is useless most of the time, and she has to directly compete with Olberic who is probably all around better at almost anything involving fighting.

So yeah I can see how people'd get soured off using her, especially considering the language in her chapters can be divisive.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Most of the path actions are fairly similar to each other but it's kinda silly how much better Challenge is compared to Provoke.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I wonder how badly you can make a 'worst subjob' party. I think so far I've got:

Olberic: Scholar
H'annit: Cleric
Ophilia: Thief
Cyrus: Hunter
Primrose: Apothecary
Alfyn: Dancer
Therion: Merchant
Tressa: Warrior

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Your Computer posted:

Warrior H'aanit is great for dealing damage, but she isn't very tanky (doesn't she have some of the worst phys. def in the game?)

Primrose has the worst, but H'aanit ties with Therion for second worst. She does tie with Olberic/Primrose for worst Elem. Def. though.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Is Bewildering Dance the only way to buff the whole party actually? I do like using it every once in a while to try to fish for the EXP/JP bonuses (especially since Olberic flexes when he dances).

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yeah the only reason I think I'd trot H'aanit around is for her big healing monsters.

If she actually had a decent SP pool to offset Arrowstorm's SP cost that'd be something, but her only real advantage over Olberic is more Eva and slightly more Acc/Crit.

Unlike Olberic she doesn't even get weapon skills for both her weapon types. Hunter is truly a bad job saved by one skill and some decent stats.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Octopath seems so simple but it's got so many nice quality bits to the battle system, like status effects always being useful and Steal not being garbage.

If they just made incidental dialogue easier to trigger, made Provoke not trash and made the Allure/Guide quests easier (oh right, your presumed dead sister is in this one town I never checked for 10 hours), I'd be really happier.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
If H'aanit had at least one axe skill (replacing something crappy like Thunderbird) at least she'd have something. As is she's kinda reliant on subbing Apothecary or Warrior for a good damage skill.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
With H'aanit I think the best role I found for her was as an all around (de)buffer, using Leghold Trap with either Thief debuffs or Dancer buffs. Fairly inexpensive, which is good considering her low SP pool.

Kinda wastes her good ATK unless she's using the Thief attacks, but eh.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Kin posted:

Is there a decent map out there that lists areas by level? Everything I've found so far by just running around jumps from 20 to 45.

It's generally grouped by quest area. The 2nd-3rd quest towns are around level 20-35. Goes up to 45 when you get close to 4th quest towns.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Halfway through the chapter 3s. Olberic is in his low 40s and everyone else is early to mid 30s, with H'aant bringing up the rear at 29. I'm sure they'll catch up due to exp scaling, but the chapter 4s might be a rough start. I've barely done any extra exploring though, so that should at least bump a few people to speed (especially Therion since there seems to be purple chests everywhere so I might as well bring him).

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I feel like my boss strategy lately has been 'everyone else is there to break/debuff the boss and buff Olberic so he can 3-shot them with Thunder's Brand'.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Bombadilillo posted:

I'd guess. It's a base 1000 jp. Base * 100 + base *.5
*.5 for the normal jp skill boost

Never tried bewildering on a boss, assuming I would screw myself. But hell if they are red and dancers sitting with nothing to do I'll take a shot next time.

Man I'd probably do it when the boss is white since you really don't want to trigger 'heal boss to full'.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

redreader posted:

I just finished the first circuit of L1 cities and got everyone. Should I do another circuit and do all of the side places that I didn't do, or just go straight to the second ring of cities and chapter 2's? I just got to one of the cities in the second ring. Also I heard about bosses taking 20-50 minutes and it seems to me from what I've played so far, that if a boss takes that long you might be underlevelled. Am I hilariously wrong?

You can easily start the second ring if you like, the first ring is probably pretty unnecessary.

I don't think bosses should take over half an hour, tops.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Olberic, H'aanit, Ophelia and Cyrus are generally pretty skewed towards physical/magical attacking. You can make them work with the opposing end of the spectrum, since gear makes up a lot of the difference, but they'll never be as good as the opposite end. The other four are a bit more balanced, but Tressa is probably the only true happy medium; Primrose leans towards magic, Therion and Alfyn lean towards physical.

Still, do what you like. If a Scholar Olberic is your jam, you can make it work.

Every characters has their base stats, and jobs add a certain percentage bonus on top. For example, Hunter adds +10% Physical Attack.

That said, the primary stats each character favour:

Ophelia: Elemental Attack, Physical Defense and Elemental Defense. Ophelia is a great mage and healer, but she's also surprisingly sturdy on the physical front, so she opt to take a job like Warrior for more defensive raw stats at the expense of never really making use of that subjob's skills.

Cyrus: Elemental Attack, Elemental Defense. Cyrus is the most glass cannon of all the characters, having excellent magical prowess but little else. He favours a subjob that can make him better at his job, whether it be enhancing his raw stats or giving him SP-saving passives. He can dip into healing decently, but you might find him better suited to just blasting.

Tressa: HP, Physical Attack, Elemental Attack. Tressa can do just about anything well, as she's not really lopsided in her growth and mostly handicapped as an attacker by her main job's lack of options. Do whatever you want with her.

Olberic: HP, Physical Attack, Physical Defense. As you might expect, Olberic is the physical dude. He doesn't do so well with anything remotely magical, but that's not really his concern. He can make for a very bulky support if you care though.

Primrose: Elemental Attack, Speed, Evasion. Primrose is very fragile (only just above Cyrus), mostly relying on her Speed and Evasion to avoid getting hit. She does better slinging magic than daggers, but she can still make a physical build work if you really want to. She's the worst at raw healing, though.

Alfyn: HP, Physical Attack, Elemental Defense. Alfyn is extremely bulky thanks to his high HP and having good Elemental Defense to heal, and can make a physical job work thanks to his raw stats. Either enhance his support options or just go full bruiser.

Therion: Speed, Physical Attack, Evasion. The physical counterpart to Primrose. Therion appreciates going physical more because of his comparitively lower SP, but innate access to Steal SP alleviates a lot of those concerns.

H'aanit: Physical Attack, Accuracy, Crit. Compared to Olberic, H'aanit can't take nearly as much punishment, but she crits more and is more accurate (they have the same Speed, actually). You generally either want to make her full physical or just make her a support due to Hunter's access to Leghold Trap.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Cyrus has the worst story personally. I personally found Therion's kinda boring myself, but maybe that's just because it's really predictable.

Mind, I haven't finished the chapter 4s yet.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Licarn posted:

I spent 20 minutes trying to catch a 10 star Revnant, only to find it has 2 summons and its attack just buffs a random party member for 2 turns.

Can't you already see what the summon does when you attempt Capture? You should have realized whether or not it was worth it when you first tried to Capture it.

Mordiceius posted:

Also, for the top tier best H'aanit summon (Dreadwolf), it hits for like 7k about 5 times in a row on all enemies. Which is nice and all, but you can only summon it once.

The idea has great potential but it's the one path action that I think got really fumbled.

The only other path action I have a real problem with is Therion's. Because there is literally no way to get purple chests other than him. Everyone else's path action is somewhat able to be replicated.

Eh, to be fair Therion isn't the only one with a unique mechanic; Olberic can Boost his Guards, Alfyn can Concoct, H'aanit can Capture, etc. His Path Action is actually Steal, and that has its counterpart in Tressa.

Primrose/Ophilia are the only ones without a unique adventuring mechanic. It's just that Therion's is the most immediately useful since the purple chests just taunt you otherwise.

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Aug 12, 2018

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Olberic being able to Boost his Guard would also help a role as a tank.

I don't actually know how effective his Boosted Guard is though.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I just want them to have chest keys so I don't have to drag Therion around all the time.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Finally finished my first (and main's) Chapter 4 (Olberic). 'twas decent enough. Sorcerer Cyrus kinda broke the boss hard, but Olberic was doing fairly high damage anyhow.

Also got a 100x EXP Bewildering Dance on the way so Olberic/Primrose/Tressa/Cyrus now solidly outlevel everyone else.

Guess I should just grab Runelord/Warmaster and start plugging away at the other seven Chapter 4s.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

There's a Reddit thread that lists the reputation restoration cost for each town. Most are a few thousand, but some are very high. Grandport is a special case--it's 100k to restore reputation, but since it's a Therion chapter town there's an NPC you can Scrutinize to improve your steal rates.

Grandport is a Tressa town actually.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Trasson posted:

I just cycled in the three lowest leveled characters for each chapter. You can't get analysis paralysis that way and it encourages you to see how all the different abilities mix with each other. If some characters are a bit low level for stuff it's no big deal since they catch up quickly and thoughtful play is worth about twenty levels for the story chapters.

The problem was I wanted to see all the banter.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Darnit, I was gonna grab the Olberic avatar. Guess I'll have to find something else.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Assuming applying the rune itself, I think it just extends the duration.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
After playing this game on and off, finally sat down to finish my last two Chapter 4s so I can move onto Smash with no regrets.

Solid game. No intention of doing the final boss stuff, so will probably just watch it online.

And my dumb personal rankings:

Overall story: Ophilia > Olberic > Cyrus > Primrose > Alfyn > Tressa > Therion > H'aanit

Overall character: Olberic > Primrose > Tressa > Cyrus > Alfyn > Ophilia > H'aanit > Therion

My memory isn't super clear on all of them though considering a big time gap between playing.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Iretep posted:

is there some logic to using nuts? since im going to use all of the characters i assume i should use the nuts on characters that need the stats but apparently everyone just advices people to put them on whoever you like or something.

Eh not really, since you're only ever locked into one character at a time you can just use your three favourites and power them up while carrying whoever's chapter it is.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Honestly, everyone is good. Cyrus is overshadowed by the more minmaxed spellslingers and H'aanit is kinda meh when Olberic exists, but everyone is very good.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Combo posted:

I started with Osvald, got Temenos and Throne, and then went across continent and picked up Hikari. Kinda wish I had started with him first, he's awesome. Love his story so far, his abilities, etc. He doesn't feel super useless/weak like Olberic did early on.

Olberic was actually really good.

Honestly nobody in OT1 was useless, though I used H'aanit the least.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Combo posted:

Keeping in mind that I had been playing through OT1 but was only just finishing up the chapter 2s and Olberic was the last person I picked up, I just haven't been a big fan of him yet. I haven't leveled him to catch up with everyone else yet, he's like 16 or 17 while my main squad is around 30-35.

Yeah the order you get characters is going to influence it somewhat, I started with Olberic and H'aanit was my last pickup. Some are still more universally useful like Alfyn, though.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Saxophone posted:

I have a steam deck now so it looks like there’s no reason not to get this for PC.

That said, I’m prooooobably gonna wait for sole reviews. I did enjoy the first one, but fell off every time right around the late chapter 2s/early chapter 3s as there didn’t feel like much story to keep me there.

Reviews have been coming in and they seem to be going pretty well. Like 8-10 or 80-100 (depending on your scale). There's only been one 70 score that I've seen so far.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Regalingualius posted:

…Except for FFX-2, and the XIII trilogy :v:

Everyone always forgets FFXII: Revenant Wings.

Also TAY.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Picked up the game yesterday and started with Partitio, then got Agnes, then winded down to get the rest of the West continent. Would have liked to get Oswald early but he's literally at the end of my route, so oh well.

Though it is funny starting with two pretty chill stories and then going onto Hikari's. No regrets though, Partitio is great.

I like a lot of the little things like the gang calling each other by name when they break an enemy or they're in low health. Gives them a lot more character.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Oswald's Chapter 1 boss is definitely one of the trickier ones, I had to reset and pick up more items to handle it. Ochette's was also surprisingly tough and took some resets because the boss does quite a bit of damage.

Partitio's was the most comfortable which was nice since that was my first. Rest pretty much made it super safe.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Cleared out all the Chapter 1s, and did a couple Chapter 2s. I do like the cast, though I'm not sold on a few of them yet but it's still really early days.

I think I like half this cast better than OT1's, but OT1 still has some good people in there. It's probably even between them right now.

Regardless, Partitio is the best. Also I find it cute that (Partitio Chapter 2 banter spoilers) he and Oswald just casually complimenting each other's muscles.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Was there a way to keep a character's default outfit in battle even with a subjob? I mean most of them are fine (I'm partial to Dancer Partitio myself), but would be nice to keep some characters in them.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Thinking about it, Hikari might be the 'worst' character to start off with? Oswald and Partitio have utility based QoL via innate Analyze/money gathering that's always handy to have around. Oswald, Agnea, Temenos, Throne and Castti have level-based job actions so them being overleveled isn't a bad thing. Ochette is just kind of a beast and you can just passively keep your monsters updated. Ochette and Temenos mean you always have some way of hitting weakness, although Temenos requires his Latent to be available. Temenos and Throne are nice just for night-based passives to always be available.

Both of Hikari's actions are 'honest', and while having him be strong is good for Challenge, Ochette can also do the same. He's still a strong character so it's not bad to have him be powerful so he can just cut enemies down to size. Partitio's actions are also both honest so he's probably second worst, but always having access to Merchant means you'll build up resources without really noticing, and once he almost masters Merchant you always have a source of full Donate BP at the start of a fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Are there notable things to steal with Throne, or is it 80% consumables and stuff.