Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
The cross-party side chapters have been real nice so far. Just done Part 1 of Throne and Temenos' treasure hunt and Partito and Oswald going shopping for telescope parts. They do a decent little job of filling in the gaps and giving some better inference these eight randos are actually spending time together.

Mega64 posted:

Yeah but his blade isn't unbending.

Olberic was my main hitter in Octopath 1, and goddamn was it satisfying to hear him declare "MY BLADE IS UNBENDING :byodood:" after you'd lined up stacked buffs and Broken a boss ready to lay down pain while the second-chapter boss theme went hard as gently caress. :rock:.

The Black Stones posted:

Ophilia < Temenos
Cyrus < Osvald
Tressa < Partitio
Olberic < Hikari
Primrose > Agnea
Alfyn < Castti
Therion < Throne
H'aanit < Ochette

Done

Mostly agree, though I kinda liked H'aanit better of the two just for the old-timey speak giving her some gravitas and something unique to set her apart from the others, compared to "Cute Anime Catgirl" that is Ochette.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Libluini posted:

Ochette howling points her to being a wolf, I think.

Also no-one can convince me Ochette isn't a traveling chef in disguise. :colbert:

I was mainly thinking of the general character archetype, but yeah you're right there I think.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Apr 2, 2023

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

A Sometimes Food posted:

Casti's "No mercy, ONLY PAIN" is a good replacement though.

Her EX Skill of grinding an axe along the ground while chasing down her target and cleaving a motherfucker is real good.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Make sure Throne's in your party when you do Ochette's Chapter 2, or at least the Catatacta path. She failed at her greatest heist despite using all her thieving skills; Trying to touch that fluffy tail. :allears:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

FireWorksWell posted:

You can see any banter you missed from a chapter through your journal, just highlight the character you wanna use and there will be a button prompt at the bottom.

Oooh, cheers!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Up to fighting Father in Throne's Chapter 3 and I sure as gently caress wasn't expecting that last-second pivot in Father's backstory :suspense:.

Is there any advice for dealing with the last stretch of the fight when he boots the poo poo out of himself and starts slashing everyone to death?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Harrow posted:

That's what I assumed, but it's weird that the voice lines sometimes seem in line with the (incorrect) description, which is what threw me off.

For what it's worth, I assumed the same thing about it eating the target's buffs.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Harrow posted:

Osvald looks badass in Cleric and Thief too IMO. I love his Thief cape especially (and Thief lets him double-boost fire which isn't quite as good as Armsmaster but still pretty good).

Hunter lets him double-boost both ice and lightning but then he has to wear the Hunter outfit and that might be a bonus or not depending on if you like this:

Meanwhile I have Agnea as an Inventor because she looks adorable in that outfit

I have Osvald as an Inventor just for broader weakness range, and also because the outfit suits him to a tee.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Completed Chapter 4 of Osvald's story and Harvey is clearly going for Gold in the Biggest Piece of poo poo Olympics. I hope that fucker gets what's coming to him. :toughguy:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Harrow posted:

(No spoilers beyond chapter 4) Osvald's story pivoted from The Fugitive to Fullmetal Alchemist so fast I barely noticed it happening

With the whole "Bodies burned beyond recognition" thing on top of the hunt for the "Source", I fully assumed this was gonna go Fullmetal Alchemist in some respect, but even so holy poo poo was that dark. I really liked the thematic ending of the bossfight with the heal spell right before she cracked and shattered completely :ohdear:. Also the subtle misdirect where only 3/4 of the capsules break, and the last one looks almost human-child-sized so you spend that entire beat wondering if it's Elena in that last tank.

Only instead Elena been mind-altered to forget Osvald and just twist the knife :stonk:. I hope we get to burn Harvey in turn for what he's done.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Harrow posted:

Temenos chapter 3 (Stormhail): you motherfuckers

Also it says something about the quality of the writing that the villains in Temenos's story are exactly who it looked like they'd be from the start and yet it's still compelling

I'm just doing that one now myself. It's also great how Temenos just drops the smug attitude because those bastards killed his friend and he is not happy about it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

saladscooper posted:

Anyone know of good places to farm soulstones midgame? I'm slowly but surely working my way through. I have 6 penultimate chapters to go before I start on the final ones. I have access to the final Winterlands town and all my chars are at least level 30 if that helps

You can buy Medium Soulstones at the Black Market at night in the Brightlands.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

Man the sheer amount of sprites, quality of the spritework, and number of unique voicelines in this game is something else, just an absolutely insane dedication to detail.

Any fun details people have noticed? One of my favorites so far is that everyone has a unique Bewildering grace animation- Hikari does a little kung-fu pose, Oswald just does an uncomfortable white guy shuffle, and Partitio does a MJ hat tilt. Also if you use stimulate with any of the dudes they rip their shirt off lol

I really love the boss fight in Osvald's chapter 4 for his full-BP line changing to ":byodood: FORGIVE ME, RITA!!"

I totally need to try casting Dancer skills more often just to see what they all do though, I didn't know they go that hard with the animations :allears:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mega64 posted:

To specify, you need to do any of the three for his C3, but there's one specific one you need to do for his C4.

Certainly doesn't hurt to do all of them, though.

The one in Sai's the easiest to do, and can be done then and there the moment you get to it. The others require a fair bit of effort to complete and are mid/late-game things.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Does the EXP Augment accessory affect party-earned XP for everyone like the skills, or is it just for the person equipping it?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Harrow posted:

This is basically what I did and I had a great time, though I didn’t put any special story priority on my main (also Hikari). I just did the chapters in the order that felt right while shuffling around party members regularly.

I don’t really like the “do four stories then the other four” approach for myself, I much prefer to use all eight and shuffle them around. It did result in Hikari becoming really overleveled but I just had him play support as an Apothecary, Cleric, Merchant, or Dancer as needed so he wouldn’t solo every boss until the late game when I started to need his damage.

I just cycle two of them and keep Osvald in the other non-main spot as a Scholar/Cleric. Keeps him highly-leveled for bullying through stuff with spell damage, and keeps the others alive if they're a little underleveled.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Well I beat Throne's chapter.

I was mildly spoiled on Claude existing but not the full context and, uh, yeah that sure was a whole scheme of his I guess? :confused:

Disguise is obscene though, goddamn :stonklol:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Harrow posted:

Yeah generally yeah the chapters' structures vary a lot, sometimes there's no combat, sometimes there's no dungeon but there is a boss, sometimes there's a dungeon and no boss, etc.

I really appreciated Castii's Chapter 4 not having a boss. It would've just gotten in the way of the flow of an excellent story as she winds her way up the mountain slowly recalling the purple rain.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Chasiubao posted:

Does like no one have Wind damage except Dancer? This sucks so bad :smith:

From what I can tell there's also no group-wind spell either.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Finished Partitio's last chapter.

I love that, even if very briefly, you do actually have the 80 Billion Leaves to Purchase the Steam Engine rights with :allears:

Also I swear there's a level design bug with Roque's factory, as the enemy pool's clearly the lower-level one from his factory in Clockbank rather than updated for the Level 45 range.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Agnea's last chapter was a lot of fun :allears:.

Dearly loved how the boss "battle" was revealed to just be a VERY enthusiastic performance onstage, and I liked there was no outward connection to Shadow, just Agnea's happy journey to stardom :unsmith:.

My only critique is if you're gonna make the theatre a dungeon, even a brief one, iy should've had more of those random thugs hunting for Agnea as the enemy pool rather than generic monsters. Make it feel like you're still dodging those goons right up to the stage.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Go duel the Elderly Soldier in Timberain next to the castle for a fantastic Bow skill. Bring some sleeping or Nightmare bottles, because he is an old soldier for a reason :gibs:.

Then go duel the Judge outaide the courtroom for a Staff skill.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Did Hikari's final chapter last, and I'm glad I did. The whole thing really does feel like the best climax to end on out of the eight. Especially with how it ends with a gauntlet of boss battles. And feel's loving great to murder your way through them when you're inevitably overlevelled by then.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Goddamn the last boss can throw down.

I resorted to a lot of Hire Beastlings to get the defense down, and Hire Foreign Assassins to lay on the damage and heals.

That and Armsmaster Hikari for pure damage once the defenses were down.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Harrow posted:

I loved the ending of that quest with Pala talking to Mikka and being like "haha wouldn't it be funny if you were my wife... unless..."

If you go looking in Timberain castle, one of the princesses there is stated to only have eyes for her childhood friend who works as a castle gardener and won't give any sutor so much as the time of day.

Said castle gardener is female, and her own analysis says she cares for her childhood friend. :allears:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Chasiubao posted:

Assuming that 2 has the same hidden super hard boss as 1: do I need to have the whole gang leveled and equipped? In 1 I ran around with a core group and kept the other four leveled just enough for their stories. So that last part was a total brick wall and I never went back to finish it.

Ypu need all eight decently-levelled (55-ish+) to finish the main story.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
On a general note, if you want to make Hired Help even more broken by endgame, go to Merry Hills. Go back outside town, up and around to the left and down the ladder.

Change to Night and start a fight with the person there.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Libluini posted:

yeah, that's not entirely correct

Yes, I did notice all eight being affected, but in that phase reviving is locked, so mass revives are straight out

If I could revive someone, the fight would go over a lot easier

It's like similar bosses you've fought before; Break the boss and you regain whatever abilities they're blocking til they're back up. If you have trouble breaking weaknesses, Hire Beastlings and stack up the BP on it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kaddish posted:

Speaking of, are there any 'must have' abilities I should get? There are so many and limited slots. It sort of sucks for experimentation.

Two in Timberrain. Go challenge the old guard looking for a duel near the castle, and the judge on the courtroom steps.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

roomtone posted:

I need to find some more secondary jobs. All the ones I've found so far just double up on jobs I already have in my party.

I think I want to stick to the first four people I got - Throne, Osvald, Temenos and Agnea, and do their stories as a group, and then do the latter four as a second group. Assuming they all hold my interest - I take it you need to complete them all to get the ending/main baddie whatever it is.

I did Ochette's chapter 1 and it was fine but I'm glad I didn't start there cos it was kind of bland.

The "best" way for me (subjectively, etc) was to lock in two as your main pair and cycle the other six. That way you've got a pair who're capable of beating whatever's giving the other two trouble while they're leveling up. I used Throne and Osvald.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ApplesandOranges posted:

Merchant works just as well if you need a universal shield break. Not that Provoke Beasts is bad it's just that it's not the most unique selling point for her.

Merchant can do obscene damage too if you find the extra hired help option...

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

exquisite tea posted:

While we're discussing wishlist features for Octo 3, I wonder if in the next game they could make it so you didn't have to complete every character's story to see the end, but there were a lot more crossed paths and interstitial chapters along the way to encourage repeat playthroughs. I like it when the gang finally gets to interact with one another but I got almost 30 hours in before those quests started popping up. I feel like most players are probably going to stick with the first 4-5 characters they meet anyway so having more individualized pathways would make every new game feel more unique.

The problem is a question of permutations. You have to account for players going off in any order and any party, so your options are either a LOT of interstitial dialogue for all the possibilities, generic dialogue for "if character present" or nothing. Sticking the cross-character dialogue and side-chapters in the latter parts of the game is safe, because you're far more likely to have the full set of characters.

What they really need to do is lock in a requirement for having the full eight characters before progressing, as it drastically cuts down the permutations needed. Moreso if they'd just let you retain the full eight at once (ie; You could definitively say all X characters needed for a conversation are present because they've cleared all eight prologues).

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Polderjoch posted:

Wouldn't an easy solution for more Crossed Paths be just, making them on the main chapter path of characters? Like say a Cyrus/H'aanit Crossed Path functioning as Cyrus' Chapter 3 and H'aanit's Chapter 2, so you'd need to have done their Chapter 2/Chapter 1, to unlock their Chapter 4/3?

It's less about a "gimmick" of Crossed Paths (Though to be clear I thought those were great and thoroughly enjoyed them) and more you could feed the other characters into the main Paths outright. The individual main chapters by design ALL have to completely relegate the other seven into dialogue vignettes because there is no method to know you will absolutely have, (for a random example), Temenos in your party, or even unlocked, during Osvald's third chapter.

If you locked everything down till all eight prologues are done, you can actually use those characters inter-threading into eachother's Paths because you can definitively say "Yes, the character(s) I need for this part are unlocked/available".

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ApplesandOranges posted:

Eh, some people just want to completely focus on a party of 4 and then do the other half, and that's a valid way to play. Part of the Octopath thing is that you can do whatever you want in what order.

I understand that and get where you're coming from, the problem is from a writing perspective it, ironically, severely limits what you can realistically achieve for your game about eight people going on adventures together instead of diversifying. If you could definitively state that the player has found all eight early on, it makes the game's writing options much more open because you can write and design scenarios with absolutely certainty of having the characters you want involved be present rather than relegate it to travel banter and hope the player brought the right people to hear it (which is :rolldice: at best).

And, yes, you can view missed banter later, but it's a bandaid solution for a problem that could be fixed better.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

fridge corn posted:

I didn't notice the characters names spelled OCTOPATH until somebody mentioned it here, long after I finished the game haha

Do you one better for Octopath 2; So do the antagonist's names

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

roomtone posted:

Although the idea that Harvey wanted Osvald to escape seems ridiculous at the moment. If he wanted that, why do any of this in the first place?

Because he's a petty piece of poo poo who wanted Osvald to suffer, and then twist the knife with his daughter.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Hikari can get a better analyze skill that reveals two weaknesses anyway, there is zero reason to make him a Scholar.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Scholar actually works great on Throne due to her double-turn latent, and she already has Darkness magic. Use the Divine Skill to buff spells and immediately thrown amped up magic around when you need it most.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bongo Bill posted:

If you don't have access to Arcanist yet, he does well in Cleric, which gives him access to another element and SP recovery, but at the cost of not getting any more weapons. Dancer has some interesting synergy, with Teach and the dancer divine skill giving him a lot of flexibility for support. And everyone does well in Merchant.

Cleric is a strong choice for Osvald, because the Cleric Light and healing spells all benefit from Alephan's Wisdom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Agnea's final boss fight also actually isn't one. It's just a very elaborate stage show between two world-class dancers and their backup teams providing fancy special effects with swordplay and magic displays.