Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
I’m so excited for this game after I had a chance to play the demo. The demo is also convincing me to start off as Primrose, but I hope I get the chance to recruit my team of badass ladies traversing the world and being generally badass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

I haven’t even touched the demo and I’m having character paralysis cause I don’t know who I want to start with. I was going to go Primrose, but Teressa is adorable as hell and Alfyn’s unique action sounds cool to get backstories of random NPC’s. I’m spoilt for choice but I’m teetering between Primrose and Teressa and I don’t know what to do.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

Terper posted:

Primrose's story is MATURE, Tressa is a bundle of joy and happiness. Do you want something that'll make you go "ew no don't" or "haha yay :classiclol:"

When you put it that way, as much as I “enjoy” mature stories, sometimes I just want to have fun and lead a cute merchant girl on fantastic adventures.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

Just started with Tressa and she’s absolutely adorable and her mother, Marina, has the best voice/accent. I’ve clearly made the best decision :allears:

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

Ok, I started with Tressa because she’s the cutest merchant and best character in this game. I went Tressa -> Cyrus -> Ophilia and got stopped halfway through Ophilia’s story. I can’t believe I have to wait a month to lla6 it again. The battle system is so good and I love the characters, visuals and music. God, the music is so nice to listen too I could just do so forever.

Also, I managed to piss off the townspeople enough with snooping around with Cyrus at Ophilia’s starting town that I managed to trigger the bad reputation penalty. In essence, no path actions will be allowed with any of the townspeople, even the noble actions. Additionally, it cost 5000 gold/whatever the currency is at the tavern to improve your reputation, which is a heavy ask at this stage of the game. I’m not sure if that’s going to scale as levels and money increase or if it will always stay at 5000. In any case, when I started Ophilia’s story, my reputation improved again, so I didn’t need to pay a fee to let Cyrus continue snooping into people’s lives and finding out about hidden items, discounts at the inn and easier guidance.

I really love the path actions and how they interact with the game. Getting to buy items from townspeople at cheaper prices than at the store or not even present in the store makes you feel like a little merchant trying to find the best deals and I can see some items are made for the thief to steal since they’re expensive and mostly exist to sell to the shops at a modest cost. I love reading about the little stories that each townperson gets when you scrutinise them and I hope there are more instances where you get to solve mysteries with Cyrus. I never got a chance to use the summon ability in battle, but I remember doing so with Primrose in the first trailer and I thought that was a fun & unique mechanic too.

In the end, I’m glad I preordered this game and I’m super eager to play it out fully till the end. Tressa is the best and cutest, Cyrus is awesome and no characters stick out as annoying as hell so far. I’m looking forward to seeing how the story plays out and just how the characters interact with each other down the line. This might end up being one of my top games of the year, though I may be getting ahead of myself. The worst thing about this demo is now I have to wait to play it for a month.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

SpaceDrake posted:

When I try out the demo, I'm probably obligated to do Tressa first, aren't I.

Feel free to start with whomever you want, but if you’re questioning whether you want to play as a cute merchant girl who wants to go on adventures, I’m going to have to seriously question your tastes.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

I was bored and started planning out who I want to give which subclasses to now that we know what skills each class gets, with an unspoken rule of no repeats and no reciprocal subclasses (So nothing like Hunter/Warrior and Warrior/Hunter). It mostly went well with stuff like Scholar Ophilia as an omnicaster and Thief Cyrus so he can steal SP for himself and have bossfight utility, but I ran into a small issue: are there any skills in Merchant that are any good as subclass options? I ended up wanting to double up on Warrior for both Therion and Tressa (TRESSA SMASH), and not sure who to put Apothecary on. Someone sell me on Merchant and who it would be good to slap it on.

I honestly think that if you wanted to go full support Ophilia, you could subclass her as a merchant just for the BP donation ability. It’d also let you get the support ability that lets you have a 25% chance to use items for free, so you could just have a heal/BP donating/item chucking/ buff giving support monster that’s facilitates the rest of the fighters. I wonder if the item support ability from Merchant could also be useful for Alfyn’s concoct ability’s, though I have my doubts about that. You can also subclass Merchant to Cyrus and have him have fire/water/earth/wind attacks and while I didn’t pick them, I’m sure Rest or the one that lets you 100% dodge the next hit would be useful on characters too.

EDIT: I checked the subreddit and someone mentioned something that was really cool. No matter who you start with, if you collect characters clockwise or counterclockwise, the first 4 characters you get will always have unique path actions therefore letting you have access to all of them relatively easily from the beginning of the game. Just thinking about the amount of thought and planning that must’ve gone into this game is really staggering and it just makes me love this game more. :allears:

jimmydalad fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Jun 17, 2018

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

On reflection, one of the things that I didn’t appreciate at the moment until now was the bosses. While not incredibly difficult, you couldn't just rush at them without a strategy and hope to win. Strategic healing, quickly finding their weakness and exploiting their shield levels all felt rewarding and were necessary towards winning. It didn’t feel like I could just grind and HP sponge my way to victory, which is refreshing in a JRPG.

Also, I’m just trying to think of things I’ve overlooked and I believe items were one of them. Maybe it’s because I started with a Tressa, but you get a lot of access to not only restorative items, but quite a few status inflicting and elemental damage items. With her ability to sometimes use items for free, I wonder if you could really go full item slinger and take advantage of the utility that items can provide. Granted, you’d need to grind up money with Tressa and steal items with Therion to sell, but it does open up avenues to pursue.

There’s something about theorycrafting with this game that is really exciting and not knowing a lot about the larger story is really cool as well. I can’t believe how much I’m in love with a game that hasn’t been released yet. It feels like there’s so much potential.

Also I fully admit I’m a member of the cult of Tressa because young merchant girl is the best JRPG protagonist. I will always appreciate the more lighthearted start of her story. Let’s go on adventures!

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

SpaceDrake posted:

I don't think anyone got the joke :smith:

The most convincing argument

Please explain it to me like I’m 5 because I’m a self-admitted bag of rocks for brains.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

The Black Stones posted:

He’s one of the people that brought over Recettear.

Ohhhhhh, I didn’t know that. That’s cool.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

So I may have picked up the two boss themes and the battle theme from the preview soundtrack for my iPhone. I feel like a junkie trying anything get that Octopath high.

In all seriousness, I’ve been tempted to pick up Romancing Saga 2 to help tide me over for Octopath. Is it something worth picking up or should I just skip over? I’m having a JRPG itch that needs to be scratched.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

Folt The Bolt posted:

They are all very cool and adorbs.

Especially if their name is Tressa.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

Eventually we’re going to need these for all the cast :allears:

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

voltcatfish posted:

I still havent played the demo yet but I will probably, play as Tressa

This is a good decision.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Hot drat, that opera house :swoon: The Primrose scene with the carriage looks gorgeous, too. I'm vibrating worse than chibi Tressa for this game to come out.

15 more days..!

Ugh, so close, yet so far...

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

Folt The Bolt posted:

Whelp, after hearing one of the datamined tracks, I am fully convinced that this game is going to utterly own in the music department.

You state this like it wasn't going to.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

Hey there everyone! So I decided to do a totally non-official poll to gauge what everyone's interest were coming into the game and then maybe compare it with a strawpoll sometime after the game has been released. I've made two polls, but feel free to mention any other things you may want to be polled. It's not like it's that hard to make them or anything.

Question One: Which Character Are You Going To Start With? - Link here: https://www.strawpoll.me/16014897

Question Two: Which Character's Story Intrigues/Interests You The Most? - Link here: https://www.strawpoll.me/16014933

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

Hey there everyone! Here are the results of the polls I put up a few days ago.

One pretty clear thing from this is that the Tressa love is strong, scoring the highest in the starting character poll and second in the character story interest poll. Funnily enough, Ophilia scored second highest for starting character but was ranked last for the interest in character story. Maybe she's being picked for more pragmatic reasons or to do the OCTOPATH path. Not a lot of love for Alfyn or Olberic who scored low on both polls, but it seems like Primrose's darker story struck a chord with the majority of people here as she scored the highest in character story interest but that interest was not enough for her to be deemed a popular starting character. Therion seems consistent scoring third in both polls too while H'aanit and Cyrus hover around the middle for both polls.

Overall, it's interesting to see what others intentions are and while there is a lot of members of the cult of Tressa, there's still seems to be an interest in all the stories as no one scored 0 on either poll. I might do a poll after a month or so to see if things have changed over time and comparing the two should be really interesting.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

Hikaki posted:

Anyone else think the environment is kind of sparse? I'm not saying it needs to be labyrinthine, but so far there seems to be very little to do in towns and everywhere else is basically a corridor. I like the art style, music, and characters, but this has me on the fence about picking this up next Friday, especially for a full 60 bucks.

I feel like with regards to towns, the path actions do a lot to give the places life. One of my favourite things about playing the demo was snooping with Cyrus and reading all these stories about the townsfolk. You can infer a lot from things such as what items they’ll sell to Tressa and who would follow Ophilia/Primrose that I feel like it contributes to the world and helps make it feel less barren.

Plus it’s the demo. These are starting areas so having them be simple is probably helpful towards easing the player into the game. We have no idea what the later areas will be like and they may be more complex.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

Your Computer posted:

This is amazing :allears:

Although I felt like it was missing something, I hope you don't mind

This is amazing. Both of you brung so much to this thread :allears:

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

Mordiceius posted:

Who loving cares. The game will be good either way.

:emptyquote: it’s gonna be a good game anyway.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

I’m doing Team OCTOPATH where I interchange my menemvere except for Tressa cause you can never have enough money. Capitalism, ho!

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

Ugh, I want to play Octopath so bad and seeing anyone who gets their game early makes me eternally envious. The battle system looks so cool and I can’t wait to tinker with classes

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

MMF Freeway posted:

Some people are particularly sensitive to grinding which I guess is understandable. But I hear "soul-crushing grind" and then look at a mere 30 hour playtime and its like lol you haven't even begun to grind m8

I know that feeling. As soneone who’s played a lot of JRPG’s I’m able to do 80-100 hour playtime games with lots of grinding. As long as the battle system is fun, which it is, I can forgive the game having a grind. Honestly, I’m so psyched about the battle system.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

Uhhh so may main character is like level 30 and I’ve not done any of the Chapter 2 stories. Like I just keep in wanting to do side quests or explore dungeons and defeat extra bosses that I don’t need to. Plus the subclass system gives room for so much experimentation and I’m jus having so much fun that I don’t necessarily need the plot to continue. When a game has so much that you can put off doing the stories for so long, it has to be doing something right. These side quests are the best. Theracio is a cinnamon bun.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

I think one reason was that I didn’t realise there was a fast travel mechanic until today, so I was walking A LOT and picking up tons of experience that way. Plus I did a bit of grinding for the Merchant Divine skill that lets me make mad cash.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

Bussamove posted:

Better than me, I’ve got a shitload in my inventory I refuse to use because what if someone else needs it more oh god.

This is my curse in any RPG with stat-increasing items.

:same: what makes it harder is the fact that subclasses exist. HOW CAN I BE OPTIMAL WITH MY NUTS!?

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

Andrast posted:

I'm just giving everything to Tressa

This is a strong option

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

I managed to defeat the Runelord boss using Tressa as a dodge tank with Incite and Sidestep. I’m not gonna lie, I managed to survive the boss going crazy mode cause Tressa managed to proc a blind on the boss with the bow she had equipped which left everyone else alive long enough to break and deal the last bit of damage. The boss fight was awesome and I felt like such a badass afterwards.

I dunno how to use Runelord though. What am I supposed to do with it? The element chaser only goes off once even if you basic attack with it multiple times and I’m probably being a putz and missing some hidden OP poo poo but right now I’m just confused by it.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

Wooooo! Just finished the final class boss, the Starseer!

So the team combo I had was Tressa Merchant/Runelord, Cyrus Scholar/Sorcerer, Alfyn Apothecary/Warmaster (though his secondary job was mostly irrelevant), Ophilia Cleric/Hunter. The most important skills for the fight were Reflective Veil and Leghold Trap for Ophilia alongside Saving Grace on Tressa and Ophilia. For comfort/easier time, I had Dother’s Charity and Empoison on Alfyn as well. The main strategy is basically breaking her as quickly as possible with a mixture of Sorcerer Spells, Alfyn Concoctions, Tressa weapons + rune chasers or whatever combo of things you’d like to break with while Ophilia and if able, Alfyn, heal the party, over heal Tressa and Ophilia, cast Leghold Trap on the Starseer and cast a full boost Sheltering Veil on Cyrus. I reached a point where whenever the Starseer casted Shooting Stars, all the hits on Cyrus would be reflected while the other three were able to facetank all the hits. From there, you can just keep on repeatedly breaking her as she spends her first turn immediately after breaking changing her immunities and the second round casting shooting stars. Exploit this to hell as you have 2 turns with each of your characters to break her and then one turn to inflict hell on her/heal your team. It was an intense fight, but I managed to wear her down while getting off a snatch fuelled collect.

Octopath is a loving good game.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

Some Numbers posted:

So what I'm getting from this is that I should not attempt any of the advanced jobs without the Dancer and Cleric Divine Skills?

I managed to do the Runelord without any divine skills, and then from there, with the rest, the only time I used divine skills was the Apothecary Divine skill for the Starseer fight. You just have to find workarounds and exploits for the fights. Once you find out their pattern, you can normally forumlate a strategy.

Hint: concoct is OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

Etrips posted:

At what point can you start tackling the advanced jobs? And what are the general strats?

For any physical bosses, Sidestep is king.