Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I've had to avoid reading the thread because I don't want spoilers but is there ANY way to stop the loving game pausing when you defocus? Something I can put in the system registry or a mod or etc, it drives me mental and it's making me want to stop playing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Toastymcfly posted:

Looking for a new game after FF16 and that diablo 4 was underwhelming. I’ve been eyeing octo 2 but I’m unsure. Is this a solid pick-up for some casual play? I’m all for turn-based combat, so not worried about that. I did hear that some of the individual stories were a little cringe and drag a bit though. Is this the case?

Edit: also heard that the game can be super unforgiving. Just looking for a fairly chill drop-in/drop-out story driven game. I definitely want to engage in the games mechanics for sure, but I don’t want to HAVE to min/max and pull up spreadsheets to beat bosses.

I didn’t play octopath 1 but I heard the second is fairly stand-alone and a good place to start

For me so far there's definitely too much combat, without the "encounter fewer enemies" thing I feel like I don't get chance to really look around because I'm constantly fighting.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Evil Fluffy posted:

Octopath 1 was a fun game but the improvements from 1 to 2 are just huge. Hopefully we get an Octopath 3 and it manages a similar jump in quality. Also maybe an encounter slider but that comes with its own problems due to how the world's designed (exploration would be risk free even for a fresh start).

And a minimap
God please give me a minimap

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Bugblatter posted:

Yeah, tapping the right shoulder button (On Switch) during exploration brings up a mini-map. I've only used it once or twice in the entire game, because normally figuring out where to go is quite intuitive, but it's there for the handful of times you need it.

It only shows the location of quest goals and shops though, not level layouts. I feel like those would spoil some of the exploration and secret finding, but it might be what the other guy wanted.

It's just a radar, not a minimap.
I can never tell where I'm going, I feel blind all the time. Radar just isn't enough for me. Especially when you're constantly interrupted by random battles and I can't remember where I came from

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

The overland maps don't always line up with where the branching passages are actually located so I did travel up and down some areas for awhile looking for some hidden pathway that was really just 100 feet further up the road.

Yea exactly this, it's super frustrating because of how many random encounters there are. I wouldn't mind otherwise, but I definitely go back on myself loads and just end up having a proper annoying time exploring.
I can't read environments so "it's obvious" it never is for me - like mass effect 2 was torture for me because the quests don't have maps inside them

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I mean just the normal areas, I've not really had any dungeons yet (I've done Chapter 1 of everyone and that's about it)

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I've really tried to like the game but the lack of the mini map - no matter how straightforward things are I will still get lost, and this is on me, but I need a map - the fact that it pauses when I defocus and the bittyness of the story is just too much for me I think.

I'm 17 hours in and I feel like I've read the first chapter (and second for a few) of 8 different books. There's still just too little interaction between the characters for me to enjoy it. I appreciate they've tried better than they did in the first game but yea, I really regret picking it up now.
Honestly I could bring myself through it if it didn't pause when I defocus but because it does I'm just done.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Cattail Prophet posted:

Genuinely do not understand this complaint. You're upset that the game doesn't run when you're... not playing it? The only possible use case for this I can come up with is that you don't want to devote full attention to the cutscenes, but also don't want to just skip them for some reason. And also you can't come up with any multitasking activities that don't involve opening another window on your PC.

I've got two monitors, so I want the game on one and to scroll stuff on the other. I can listen and read at the same time, I don't like having to be locked to it
I know that's stupid, but PLEASE don't pause so I can do that

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I've slogged on, and basically every character is on Chapter 3 now. This is the point though where it's a lot harder and I really need to go out to grind up the people I don't use as much (I have Osvald, Odette and uh...Cassie? at level 31 but most others are low 20s) and I can't be bothered.
Man I wish levelling was faster! I kinda feel like if I beat up some level 30s then it should take someone who is level 19 up to at least 21!

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Bugblatter posted:

I think I did chapter 3 in the 20s. It’s more about gear and tactics.

I mean I've beaten a bunch of the bosses but they're all a lot more effort now.
And when sometimes they'll suddenly kill you when they're very close to death after a 10 minute quite tense fight I can't be arsed doing it again

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Bugblatter posted:

Chapter 3 is about where you start needing to make tactical choices and can no longer just brute force your way past. Levels won’t avoid that need unless you grind way past the recommendation… which just does not seem like a fun way to play.

I mean I thought I was making tactical choices! I just really don't like having to do fights again.
I guess I really am done now, I've uninstalled.

For me the "8 different stories" approach just doesn't work, it's too bitty and I don't feel like I'm missing out on seeing what happens next because I feel like I've read the first 1/4 of 8 different books

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

If they make a three I hope they tie the stories together and really DO stop you carrying on until you recruit all 8 characters.
Also I hope they get rid of the path actions because in this one they mostly felt like pointless busywork. Something feels WRONG to me about recruiting random villagers and definitely about attacking them

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Combo posted:

All of these are awful and reading your responses to this thread you clearly just don't like the game, and that's fine, but it's kind of silly to be talking about taking away a bunch of things that actually make it what it is.

The paths all feel like "I'm in a cutscene and it's suddenly stopped so I can use my character's power on the person in front of me"
I just don't see the point of it.

They could easily make them mean more and do more, but they don't. It feels like pickpocketing in the infinity engine games - it exists but only because someone feels it should not really because it NEEDS to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

I'd say the dungeons are fun to explore and have just enough secrets to make them interesting but don't go in expecting some kind of labyrinthine dungeon crawl.

Trying to imagine this without a map and just thinking of playing Bards Tale back on the Amstrad again
Nightmare flashbacks