Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
First phase you can be far more aggressive, you can reliably hit until SSI deflects then you deflect his counterattacks. Stick in his face. Respond to his flashy combo finishers in the appropriate manner. His Ichimonji and Dragon Flash attacks can literally be sidestrafed by walking, no need to step dodge.

Second and third phase, aggression is harder because he will break out of your combo without first deflecting. It’s safest to only attack twice out of neutral, then immediately prepare for his counterattack. This phase is a defensive skill check, being able deflect his opening counterattacks makes the fight more predicable and stops him from chaining into a spear swing. He will also constantly disengage from you with either backjumps (deflect or step dodge forward through his spear swipe) or by naruto running past your left shoulder. Either give chase, or stand your ground, and deflect his jumping spear slam, or step dodge his attack at the last half second to punish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
Gauntlets, Charmless, and Demon Bell. Keep going. Don't stop. Learn how to fight Genichiro and Owl and Isshin completely hitless.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
Don't a ton of action games have stagger meters of some kind? The new action Final Fantasies, God of War, and that's just off my head.

The real innovation that Sekiro made was that the health bar was more of a suggestion rather than the main bar you need to attack. And that perfect blocks also fill the bar you want to target.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
Well I can only make an assessment of AC6 in a few hours when I can actually sit down to play, but the reason you can be relentlessly aggressive in Sekiro is because there is no stamina gauge. The closest bar of your own character you need to manage is your own posture bar, and that's relatively simple if your timing is simply good.

In Souls games you need to manage your stamina bar. Overextending and dumping your entire bar makes you vulnerable. There's nothing as demoralizing as realizing you've dumped your entire stamina bar on a boss right as they are starting up a long attack string, it means you've hosed Up. This forces more reactive and patient play.

In Sekiro you need to decide at a split second if you are going to press L1 or R1 at any moment. Relentless pressing of R1 is actually helpful, because it restricts the AI's freedom of action, enemies have a tell when you need to stop pressing R1 and switch into L1. And part of the skill ceiling is knowing when you can safely fit R1s back in there, resetting the enemy's strings. And even forcing the enemy to block will steadily chip away at their vitality and posture, in the same way that getting hits in on a typical souls boss will eventually lead to them keeling over and dying.

Does AC6 combat have the same considerations? I dunno I'll work it out.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
Well I mashed my way deathless through the tutorial chopper in AC6 first try so I guess that worked.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
Yes it is hesitation and engendering of passivity and cowardice but it's also objectively the smartest thing to do if you are a new player who doesn't know the layouts and the distances between checkpoints and you want to prevent yourself from losing sen and XP from your second death.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
I've just downloaded LoP and I'll start it soon but I'll definitely say that spacing and deadzoning enemy attacks is a huge part of Dark Souls and Bloodborne and ER combat. Hell my prefered way of beating Margit and Mohg, when I see particular attacks, I literally run around them and they can't hit me, and I can charge up a full R2 punish.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
Yeah my preferred strat against Owl uses thrust attacks quite alot. The one attack where he does a single Ichimonji can be sidestepped (the timing is generous in my experience) and punished with a thrust attack.

Any time he does the elbow bash and single single sword slash that knocks you back on both deflects, he is going to follow up with a spray of firecrackers and a flaming sword swipe. You know what the best thing to do here is? After the first two deflects that push you backwards, hold R1 and you will thrust forward, stepping forward as the firecrackers explode harmlessly behind and interrupting Owl before he can do the flaming sword slash.

I'm really good at fighting Owl Dad, I stick on top of him and get into a rhythm and end up flawlessing him even with Charmless Demon Bell.

I have more trouble with Great Shinobi Owl on the other hand, alot of his dirty tricks are meant to break your rhythm. I even should get into the habit of ignoring that stupid lloyd's talisman he throws out, my usual tactic of sidestepping out of the pool often puts me at a bad angle and his followup attacks often dead angle through my deflects and one-shot me (at the difficulty levels I play at).

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
I actually prefer using Bestowal on the first General before the second Seven Spears, I really dislike having allies in Sekiro/LoP because it makes enemy movesets unpredictable. Bestowal blood blades deal chip damage through guards, and the enemy has a hard time deflecting and counterattacking.

Also first phase Isshin has very low posture recovery, meaning you need to deal hardly any chip damage to vitality before you can completely drain his posture with deflects. It’s second and third phase spear Isshin that has high posture recovery, and requires you to deal about a third of their vitality before posture damage sticks.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
FYI there are some stealth upgrades in the skill tree that let you crouch sprint silently, which really helps with clearing areas if you want to comb through them. But at the same time, you can very easily run straight past enemies and by the time they catch up you're so long outta there.

If you're patient, you can pull a few enemies near a miniboss, kill them, and then run away and let the fight reset. To de-aggro minibosses you have to run so far away the health bar disappears from the top of the screen. Also stealth kills are only possible for the first pip of a miniboss, after that the fight is on and you have to commit.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
Since you expect to be losing gold and xp constantly, I recommend spending excess sen on buying extra spirit emblems. Alot of enemies are hard countered by certain prosthetics. But even when not, there are some prosthetics that I find extremely reliable.

The one I use the most is the humble shuriken. Shurikens absolutely shut down animals like dogs or monkeys. And if you have the Chasing Slice skill, you can basically use it as a risk free gap closer, where you throw a shuriken to force the opponent into guarding, and you then immediately get on top of them.

As for the order in which I like to get skills, Mikiri Counter is obviously the first to get. Whirlwind Slash is kind of okay but you're better off just pressing R1.

The Prosthetics tree is quite reliably strong. The first two are very useful, Chasing Slice as said gives you a gap closer, Grappling hook attack gives you free damage against Gyoubou. Don't waste points on Nightjar Slash, there are better gap closers, and this is a game where you don't want to waste time with disengagers. Fang and Blade opens up new moves with loaded spear and axe, but it's not that strong. Projected Force and Living Force are very strong, the former lets you basically use the Purple umbrella to shut down alot of spirit enemies, while the latter makes Flame Vent far more useful against generic enemies.

The entire Ashina Tree is also a high priority, giving both the S tier Ichimonji, and several very powerful passives that increase your posture damage.

Heal on Deathblow is also a good all-rounder to prioritize early. Mid-air deflection and mid-air combat arts is also good because jumping Ichimonjis and jumping Mortal Draws are some of the best moves in the gane.

If you're crutching hard on stealth to clear zones, then Run and Slide/Suppress Presence/Suppress Sound are good to get, and you can always use those to farm more xp by stealth killing zones.

All the Shinobi Medicine passives are reliably strong especially if you are taking hits.

Temple Arts is mostly useless. Prayerful Strikes is garbage. Senpou Leaping Kicks used to be good in 1.0, but it's been nerfed to uselessness now.

Most capstone skills are garbage. Shadowrush is far too expensive for what it can do, and it costs emblems. Living Force is as I mentioned pretty good because it gives your sword a fire buff. Ashina Cross is only useful in that it unlocks Empowered Mortal Draw (that one is actually worth it).

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
If you can beat normal ape then this fight is relatively easy. Sword ape is just easier in general. And the small brown ape is far less aggressive than normal ape. You just need to run around the arena for longer avoiding the gank, and that I find unfun.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
I think enemy damage is simply scaled down against each other. Else you have scenarios where enemy factions fighting completely trivialize encounters, like what happens in Lies of P.

Enemy vs enemy fights also don’t seem to use their defensive code properly. Enemies will interrupt themselves to block your attacks. But this behavior fails against other enemies. So they just get full body hits against other, but deal mere chip damage.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
Pit Owl is easier and more fun than Castle Owl because you can stay on top him for entire minutes without him disengaging with a toolbag of dirty tricks.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022

U-DO Burger posted:

that fight's even more fun when you try to stop him from summoning wolves at all imo. You've gotta keep the pressure on constantly and it feels exhilerating to pull it off

This is why Shuriken is the best prosthetic. It's an interrupt, a gap closer, and it's not a crutch unlike firecrackers.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
BTW there was earlier a discussion about the best way to deal with owl's firecracker toss into flaming slice attack.

I saw alot of people suggest that you dodge behind him. There's an even easier way.

The attack string normally goes: elbow strike, into knockback slash, into firecrackers, into flaming slice. After the knockback, just hold R1 and you will slip past his firecrackers and stab him in the face for 1.5x vitality damage. It's extremely safe and reliable. That firecracker hitbox isn't a physics object, it's just a hitbox that extends in front of Owl, so even if you're backed up against a wall the firecrackers will not crowd against it and catch you in the back.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
You can also do a thrust attack after you dodge his ichimonji.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inDa3Q1ml64

Here's an example of an owl fight with relentless use of thrust attacks.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
You totally can yeah, but I'm far more confident timing the dodge on reaction rather than greeding an extra body hit in. It definitely helps.

You can also reset alot of Owl's attack strings by putting in your own attack, but again I prefer to reaction guard.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Charmless is amazing, it makes so many aspects of the game that are otherwise weirdly redundant (like weapon arts that help you regain posture, for example) actually matter. It's not just masochism mode.

Interestingly, I find that worrying about your own posture is completely redundant on Charmless. Yes you will be on full posture bar as perfect guards also fill up your posture. But so long as you perfect guard, your full posture bar will never break. Replenishing your own posture bar is only ever a factor when your do imperfect guards with Kuro's Charm.

Ichimonji Double remains the best weapon art in the game regardless.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
It is functionally impossible to deflect the entire 9-hit string.

That attack typically goes: 2 attacks, pause, 2 attacks, then a 4 hit flurry, then a finisher.

The first 4 attacks are easy to deflect. You can even fit in a thrust attack during that pause.

The issue is that by the time the 4th attack of the flurry comes out, your deflect window has narrowed so far that you need to be frame perfect.

There are two common ways of dealing with it. The first is to deflect the first 2, then dodge away and space out the remaining 6 attacks, and then deflect the final.

Another way I like to do now is to deflect the first 4, then iframe dodge forward right past his shoulder, which causes the remaining 5 attacks to fail to track you at all. It also lets you get thrust attacks into his back as a punishment.

Elden Lord Godfrey fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Dec 24, 2023

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022

Elden Lord Godfrey posted:

It is functionally impossible to deflect the entire 9-hit string.

That attack typically goes: 2 attacks, pause, 2 attacks, then a 4 hit flurry, then a finisher.

The first 4 attacks are easy to deflect. You can even fit in a thrust attack during that pause.

The issue is that by the time the 4th attack of the flurry comes out, your deflect window has narrowed so far that you need to be frame perfect.

There are two common ways of dealing with it. The first is to deflect the first 2, then dodge away and space out the remaining 6 attacks, and then deflect the final.

Another way I like to do now is to deflect the first 4, then iframe dodge forward right past his shoulder, which causes the remaining 5 attacks to fail to track you at all. It also lets you get thrust attacks into his back as a punishment.

I edited this post to clarify a better way of dealing with this attack.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
It's worth noting that one you've gitten gud enough, there are some attacks out there that are far better punished by dodging, like ranged attacks, or heavy combo finishers that would otherwise knock you back several steps even after a successful deflect. Instead, if you dodge those, you can immediately punish with chip damage to their health bars.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022

voiceless anal fricative posted:

You can and should parry him lots! Just not every attack.

If there's anything I'd criticise about the fight it's that his posture regen is too high. You're unlikely to posture break him before his HP gets below like 10% which is genuinely out of sync with the rest of the game.

Quite a few bosses have very high natural posture regeneration at any level of vitality. Like it's very difficult to posture break Owl if you don't deal at least half their health bar, or Isshin 2. Or Guardian Ape, his posture bar functionally does not exist. So it's not unique to DoH.

And alot of the positioning tricks you can use against DoH are also very handy against other bosses. DoH emphasises positioning and blindspotting more than the rest of the roster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
I hate that loving attack because it means all my posture progress just ticks down into nothing as the entire fight just slams to a close for a half minute.