Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
having it sideways is better for cooling airflow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Pennywise the Frown posted:

:smith: That's not very nice of you. I'm just trying to help.

I'll tip you over next

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

don't forget to tip your waiters folks! hahaaa

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
can i get rss feeds for forums? or even individual threads? use feedburner or some poo poo to cache it so your bangwidth doesnt explode

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Mad Wack posted:

can i get rss feeds for forums? or even individual threads? use feedburner or some poo poo to cache it so your bangwidth doesnt explode
Do people use RSS feeds?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Just geezers stuck in 2003 mostly

(And bots I guess)

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

Lowtax posted:

Do people use RSS feeds?

no

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
Hell Gem

Lowtax posted:

I'll tip you over next

Be nice to him he's a dying drunkard.

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

that should make it easy then. Like tipping candy out of a baby, as the saying goes

luchajones
Jan 28, 2018

I have no beard, and I must scream
I wish we could hide threads that we don't have any interest in seeing.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
Hell Gem

luchajones posted:

an anime filter if you will

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

luchajones posted:

I wish I could hide you're poasts

Oh wait I can. Thanks Lowtax!

luchajones
Jan 28, 2018

I have no beard, and I must scream

HoboMan posted:

I wish I could hide you're poasts

Oh wait I can. Thanks Lowtax!

sad

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Lowtax posted:

Yeah, one of the ideas I was playing with was allowing local cloud storage for images, so that way when threads get moved into the archives, the images won't all be broken 30000 years from now. However, that opens up a whole new can of worms regarding database calls, storage space, bandwidth, permissions, etc etc etccc

Could you maybe do a poll to see which features people want most and then once you've got a shortlist see which ones can be implemented without too much hassle/expense? And maybe even do a poll to see which features people wouldn't mind losing (I don't really need the message and rap sheet buttons but I'd hate to lose the option to display all of someone's posts in a thread).

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

the hiding threads is a pretty solid idea though

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Lolie posted:

Could you maybe do a poll to see which features people want most and then once you've got a shortlist see which ones can be implemented without too much hassle/expense? And maybe even do a poll to see which features people wouldn't mind losing (I don't really need the message and rap sheet buttons but I'd hate to lose the option to display all of someone's posts in a thread).

The rap sheet button is extremely useful for finding out if someone is a piece of poo poo with one click of a button.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
Hell Gem

The rap sheet button is extremely useful for finding out if someone is a piece of poo poo with one click of a button.

Be nice to me I just defended you.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Bum the Sad posted:

Be nice to me I just defended you.

Oh yikes. I mean, the rap sheet button is nice to see how popular and rebellious people are.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
Hell Gem

Oh yikes. I mean, the rap sheet button is nice to see how popular and rebellious people are.

Thank you.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Lowtax posted:

Do people use RSS feeds?

Once upon a time somebody had one of the coupons, which makes a lot of sense in that forum.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Lolie posted:

If people would like to suggest features, I have no problem making a poll for them.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

One thing I like from the iOS Awful app is that it hides all the read posts on the page by default. I think that would save you bandwidth as well.

Why load up the 39 posts on a page again if there is only one new post?

Mongolian Queef
May 6, 2004

For context. Like this reply to your post without a quote.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

The app still has to download and parse the whole page. It just changes the way it's presented. It might save some bandwidth on not having to load avatars, though.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Lowtax posted:

Do people use RSS feeds?

i do - it's great

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

IUG posted:

One thing I like from the iOS Awful app is that it hides all the read posts on the page by default. I think that would save you bandwidth as well.

Why load up the 39 posts on a page again if there is only one new post?
No it would not save any bandwidth. Here's how that app works: it loads the entire page, then, client-side, restyles it all. It's just basically acting like a site scraper and then calling jQuery.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Lowtax posted:

If people would like to suggest features, I have no problem making a poll for them.

LOL, ignore the below, it's already a feature. I just had to hover all the buttons to find it under the avatars. For posterity, here was the request:

quote:

OK I'll bite then. How about a "mark unread from here" button on posts, like e-mail clients have.

Right now the "jump to last unread" links outside of threads are the best portal into where you left off in a conversation, but there are currently too many ways to accidentally mess up that bookmark. Such as:

1. You accidentally clicked the "jump to last page" button instead because you fat-fingered the buttons on a phone, which places them close together.

Consequence: All 1,532 unread posts are marked as read and there's no going back -- not even the browser back button -- which shows you the number 1,532 still there, but clicking on it maddeningly puts you at the very end now instead of where it would have redirected before.

2. You were reading some of the forty posts on page, but you got sidetracked before you got to the bottom and had to close it, marking your last unread as being on the *next page*.

3. You were trying to enter a thread where you already made fuckup #2 above. Now by clicking to the most recent unread posts you've now accidentally marked the whole *next* page of forty posts unread too, so that even if you miraculously remember that you've missed posts, clicking back a page to read them still won't put the most recent pointer in the truly correct place.

A "mark unread from here" button would allow the user to manually correct fuckup numbers #1 and #2 above whenever they happen, which in turn prevents #3.

Happy Thread fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jun 19, 2018

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Dumb Lowtax posted:

LOL, ignore the below, it's already a feature. I just had to hover all the buttons to find it under the avatars. For posterity, here was the request:

Where do you do it on browser?

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Snowmankilla posted:

Where do you do it on browser?

It's the glowing yellow paper button at the bottom of the panel left of each post.

I guess this just shows that there's a difference between *seeing* a feature (like whenever I've hovered that button before) and knowing when to use it -- or still not having it be immediately obvious what the use cases for it for. The above are the use cases, but it took me actually doing fuckups #1 through #3 above so many times that I noticed them to realize that I needed the feature.

Until then the button never got my attention because it was too disconnected from whatever specific time-saving use cases it was for.

edit: The buttons's not even yellow, lol, it's white and there's like an optical illusion if you have avatars off and the popsicle sticks get too close and look the same color. Goddamn I suck at things today.

Happy Thread fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jun 19, 2018

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Maybe "fuckup #3" listed above is something that users might find themselves doing a lot but not know there's a fix, I dunno. If one person learns something maybe this wasn't a waste of time. It could get you even if you're otherwise a "power user" who knows and uses the "jump to last unread" shortcut buttons and your bookmarked thread page religiously. The fix is to just be aware that all three of the tiny buttons under avatars are a godsend, not just some of them.

You know what, after thinking about it so much I have a feature request after all.

Feature request: Re-name the button's tooltip to its opposite. Not "Mark all replies as read to this point" but "Mark all replies as unread after this point". Simply doing that will make its use cases more obvious to someone just hovering the buttons. Right now it sounds like it can only switch posts from unread to read, which makes no sense (you only have the button if your browser's already seen the post).

Happy Thread fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jun 19, 2018

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Dumb Lowtax posted:

The buttons's not even yellow, lol, it's white and there's like an optical illusion if you have avatars off and the popsicle sticks get too close and look the same color. Goddamn I suck at things today.

The button's yellow for new posts that you hadn't read before. It'll turn white if you refresh a page and turn yellow again if you set a post above it as last read post.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Dumb Lowtax posted:

It's the glowing yellow paper button at the bottom of the panel left of each post.

Can you screenshot? I don't have that button.

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

We need a way to +1 and thumbs up. Thanks.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Jedit posted:

You might need to enable it in your options, it used to be off by default. It looks like a blank page on a button next to the # and ? buttons.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Jedit posted:

Geemer was right it's yellow now, making me a liar again

Happy Thread fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jun 20, 2018

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Piggy Smalls posted:

We need a way to +1 and thumbs up. Thanks.

Never.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Was going to joke probe him for this but he beat me too it. Coward.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Lowtax posted:

I'll tip you over next

Goon tipping is a popular activity in the Midwest

Useful Distraction
Jan 11, 2006
not a pyramid scheme
Yo Lowtax, as a European who doesn't currently have access to a credit card, how do I funnel money to your butt bank account? Apart from twitch, is there any other online service that you accept, since I take it that paypal is out of the question for you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Useful Distraction posted:

Yo Lowtax, as a European who doesn't currently have access to a credit card, how do I funnel money to your butt bank account? Apart from twitch, is there any other online service that you accept, since I take it that paypal is out of the question for you?

The SA store accepts my euro-commie debit card like normal.

• Locked thread