Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
what if imgur but blockchain on goon computer??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

Lowtax posted:

UPDATE: Right now I'm currently working on coding / implementing the following features:

1) A graphical text editor for posting / replying. You know, the poo poo that has been pretty much standard everywhere since 2005. Something along the lines of this (only with not so many options):

2) Either an integration with imgur, or a custom script that allows multiple image uploads via drag and drop.

These two things might take a while to implement, but I believe they are both necessary things that people will like / use. And don't worry YOSPOS, there will be a toggle on the WYSIWYG editor to see the raw vB code.

Second one would be pretty sweet. Don't know how much of a hit, bandwidth wise, to have better upload image support but I would look forward to it.

TalkLittle
Jun 23, 2004

I'd be wary of depending too much on a free third party host, whether it be Imgur or any other. It results in obvious short term cost savings for SA, but given their ad-centric business model it may well be in their own interest to cut off sites that use too much of their bandwidth.

I'm more in favor of SA self-hosting images, even if it needs to do some trickery to shrink the file sizes or serve only a small/medium thumbnail by default.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Mad Wack posted:

:thunk:
Actually can't we just host the forums in some kind of torrent?

I never knew imgur deleted them after five years. I thought they kept them forever as long as they were looked at in the last year or 18 months or some poo poo

E: I suspect reddit uses more of their r resources than we do

TalkLittle
Jun 23, 2004

SniperWoreConverse posted:

E: I suspect reddit uses more of their r resources than we do

Reddit does things differently because they have their own self-hosted cache for external images being displayed on their site, and to get full Imgur albums they link users to the source. I was going under the assumption we want images displayed inline in posts on SA as they usually are today, rather than showing a link to Imgur.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Mad Wack posted:

idk but I’m gettin hungry for breakfast!

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

TalkLittle posted:

I'm more in favor of SA self-hosting images, even if it needs to do some trickery to shrink the file sizes or serve only a small/medium thumbnail by default.

One of the huge advantages of Xenforo is that you can just cut and paste images into a post. Imgur goes through stages of not working properly with various browsers and is always another potential Waffle Images situation (this is already a problem with embedding tweets and youtubes - they're deleted at the source fairly often).

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Lolie posted:

One of the huge advantages of Xenforo is that you can just cut and paste images into a post. Imgur goes through stages of not working properly with various browsers and is always another potential Waffle Images situation (this is already a problem with embedding tweets and youtubes - they're deleted at the source fairly often).

Unless I'm very much mistaken (and I may be), that's the precise opposite of an advantage. External image hosting is a means to bring forum storage costs down; links eventually breaking is the price. If all those images were part of the post, they'd be stored on the SA forum server.

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

Make a plugin that converts pics to ascii art bingo bongo

Squish
Nov 22, 2007

Unrelenting.
Lipstick Apathy

Dumb Lowtax posted:

That and until recently the links were malfunctioning most of the time, so many people who might have learned to start using them didn't.

OH! I just thought that was my browser being difficult, not that it was any particular error with the forum links. Interesting.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Squish posted:

OH! I just thought that was my browser being difficult, not that it was any particular error with the forum links. Interesting.

It was your browser being difficult. Chrome hosed it up, not the forums.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
@Lowtax

re: Pie

Have you ever had a treacle tart?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Teikanmi posted:

@Lowtax

re: Pie

Have you ever had a treacle tart?

That's a weird question, but I'll meet it with a question for you - have you ever tried parkin?

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Geemer posted:

Some goon once made this neat GreaseMonkey script that created a searchbox at the top of the smilies page and then searched in the name, code and description of the smilie showing a dropdown with the title and also the picture.

cool but not enough imo (because the silly descriptions are pretty unhelpful), it also needs keywords and/or grouping by similar smilies. but what the heck, it's a start and I'll take it

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Lowtax posted:

UPDATE: Right now I'm currently working on coding / implementing the following features:

1) A graphical text editor for posting / replying. You know, the poo poo that has been pretty much standard everywhere since 2005. Something along the lines of this (only with not so many options):

2) Either an integration with imgur, or a custom script that allows multiple image uploads via drag and drop.

These two things might take a while to implement, but I believe they are both necessary things that people will like / use. And don't worry YOSPOS, there will be a toggle on the WYSIWYG editor to see the raw vB code.

yes please to both

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Jedit posted:

That's a weird question, but I'll meet it with a question for you - have you ever tried parkin?

No but after a google, I'm intrigued

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Squish
Nov 22, 2007

Unrelenting.
Lipstick Apathy

Geemer posted:

It was your browser being difficult. Chrome hosed it up, not the forums.

But I use Firefox ... so nerrrrr :mmmhmm:

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Squish posted:

But I use Firefox ... so nerrrrr :mmmhmm:
I used to use Firefox as well, until it began updating every single hour of every single day and opening up hundreds of tabs to let me know both firefox and all my extensions were updated to the latest version.

Squish
Nov 22, 2007

Unrelenting.
Lipstick Apathy

Lowtax posted:

I used to use Firefox as well, until it began updating every single hour of every single day and opening up hundreds of tabs to let me know both firefox and all my extensions were updated to the latest version.

Ready to download Firefox version 76,192,125.76?
I'm in limbo having to stay with ESR so that my old plugins work. I too like things The Way They Are.

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.

Lowtax posted:

Turn off auto updates my dude and do it on your own time.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

humpthewind posted:

Turn off auto updates my dude and do it on your own time.
Uh no, if there are security updates then I want them patched in ASAP, I just wish that Firefox and all their extensions would just shut the hell up about them every time.

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

Dumb Lowtax posted:

This cannot happen in the "nest posts as deep as you want" model, where quoted-quotee edges are all represented explicitly. But as we have seen a lot of other bad things are possible in the reddit model, such as conversations that die because threads have no consistent leading edge where new posts can be found, and also pedophiles love it for some reason.

pedos love it because of all the child comments
:mmmhmm:

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

also did you remove the share button? I don't see it. I really like that little addon

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

HoboMan posted:

also did you remove the share button? I don't see it. I really like that little addon
It's still there, I just removed the dumb separate email icon because it didn't work.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Teikanmi posted:

No but after a google, I'm intrigued

Hang on, did you find the loaf style or the biscuit style? It has to be basically a gingerbread loaf but made with treacle instead of ginger.

(Apologies for the minor derail, but I'm from Lancashire so this is a matter of life and death.)

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Lolie posted:

Usually, the funnier the tweet or video, the faster it gets deleted.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Lolie posted:

Yeah, one of the ideas I was playing with was allowing local cloud storage for images, so that way when threads get moved into the archives, the images won't all be broken 30000 years from now. However, that opens up a whole new can of worms regarding database calls, storage space, bandwidth, permissions, etc etc etccc

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Lowtax posted:

Yeah, one of the ideas I was playing with was allowing local cloud storage for images, so that way when threads get moved into the archives, the images won't all be broken 30000 years from now. However, that opens up a whole new can of worms regarding database calls, storage space, bandwidth, permissions, etc etc etccc

Yea that seems like it's not worth the massive headaches.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Yea that seems like it's not worth the massive headaches.
It's probably not, but at the same time I really hate how there are so many goldmined threads full of broken images. I wish there was some easy, cheap, and reliable way to ensure that doesn't keep happening.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Lowtax posted:

It's probably not, but at the same time I really hate how there are so many goldmined threads full of broken images. I wish there was some easy, cheap, and reliable way to ensure that doesn't keep happening.

platters are only getting cheaper!*

*maintenance costs are not

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Lowtax posted:

my man

have you heard of Vivaldi

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Third World Reggin posted:

my man

have you heard of Vivaldi
Yeah I love the Four Seasons

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Lowtax posted:

Yeah I love the Four Seasons

:rimshot:

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer
I have three kids, if you honestly don't expect dad jokes from me, I do not know what to tell you.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Lowtax posted:

I have three kids, if you honestly don't expect dad jokes from me, I do not know what to tell you.

You misunderstand. I am both a purveyor and lover of the dad joke.

had I been bemused I'd have :downsrim:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Lowtax posted:

I have an 8 year old computer I just replaced that has two, yes two, 2 terabyte hard drives!

I'll do all of your image hosting.

edit: wait, my new computer currently only has a 500GB SSD. So I'm gonna need at least one of those.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I have an 8 year old computer I just replaced that has two, yes two, 2 terabyte hard drives!

I'll do all of your image hosting.

edit: wait, my new computer currently only has a 500GB SSD. So I'm gonna need at least one of those.
I'll tip your computer over and laugh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
:smith: That's not very nice of you. I'm just trying to help.

• Locked thread