Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

For everyone looking to customize Hot Wheels/Matchbox cars, this youtube channel is pretty much the authority on the subject.

https://www.youtube.com/user/baremetalHW

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Silhouette posted:

For everyone looking to customize Hot Wheels/Matchbox cars, this youtube channel is pretty much the authority on the subject.

https://www.youtube.com/user/baremetalHW

I like his idea of using those kids water tattoos for art details, but wouldn't that poo poo wear off really fast?

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Doorknob Slobber posted:

I like his idea of using those kids water tattoos for art details, but wouldn't that poo poo wear off really fast?

You could probably just varnish over it like any other decal.

How Disgusting
Feb 21, 2018

PoptartsNinja posted:

2) Acetone melts Hot Wheels tires, don't put anything plastic in it unless you want to see that thing melted (anyone know where I can find replacement tires?)

The Hasegawa 155mm long tom kit comes with 10 wheels and it's cheap as dirt. The gun itself can be used if you've got a large pickup or flatbed truck. Other kits like jeeps or trucks are usable too but you can just as well build and convert the entire thing.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

cenotaph posted:

You could probably just varnish over it like any other decal.

Yeah, a coat of Future/Pledge floor polish will protect it just like paint.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.

Doorknob Slobber posted:

these are really cool, I just went to the thrift shop and bought a bunch of cars so I can get started. Where did you get all the bits that you added? What are some good resources for learning to repaint the cars?

Sorry for the late reply. I saw it a while back and intended to answer when I got home, but apparently life go to busy!

Thanks!

First off, pull the cars apart if you can be hosed. If not, get at em with sandpaper.

For bits, I raided some old Warhammer 40k Ork bits I had, they're ideal, but as of my first car I'm no longer putting weapons on my models as I think it spoils it a little when I have a MG on my car but really its a rocket launcher in the game. Maybe one day I'll do it all with magnets, but today is not that day!

For painting cars;

Drill the bottom studs out of the car. Take the steel body off and remove the windows or anything plastic and drop the body into Dettol or something to remove the paint. There are loads of tutorials out the for stripping paint from metal miniatures.

Super Glue any bits on you want.

Use a good can of undercoat on the body. Colour doesn't matter much but make sure that poo poo bonds to steel really well. And let it dry 24 hours. People will say you don't need to let it wait that long, and they're mostly right, except for the one time when you stick brush to model and your base coat starts coming off!

Do one colour first. Base colour the whole body. Then pick out SOME details (don't spend ages on it!) and then make some really watered down dark/medium brown and a stark, rusty orange and apply the brown in areas where dirt would collect, then the orange on bits of exposed steel or a few trimmings around the car. Then use something like Agrax Earthshade from Games Workshop or Strong Tone from Army Painter.

Before you glue it back together, make sure you glue the wheels in place on the plastic body! Then put it all back together and do any touch ups you need.
If you want, drop it on a base and you're done! I use clear bases because it doesn't obscure the play area, but YMMV!

Have fun!

Mouzer
May 9, 2006
Feed the fish!

This has been a good page, with useful information.

Thanks all!

Also, if anyone has a 3d printer, Thingiverse has some nice files of things to print. Got my teams weapons all printed up and ready to go.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

tehsid posted:

For bits, I raided some old Warhammer 40k Ork bits I had, they're ideal, but as of my first car I'm no longer putting weapons on my models as I think it spoils it a little when I have a MG on my car but really its a rocket launcher in the game.

I've discovered this this doesn't bother me much. But what does is, the established timeline of the game is Mars blowing up the Earth in like, 1992 or something. And after doing a few cars, it came to actually bother me having consumer cars from after this era as options.

Like, the world is in ruins and we dance for our Martian masters. Any vehicle manufacturing is going to be strictly utilitarian. So work/service vehicles, sure. But I gave up playing with any modern-era vehicles and try to keep my cars, trucks, and sports cars mostly dated to the 80s and before.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Surely if the setting colonized Mars by 1992, they could have also developed the 2016 Kia Sorento earlier.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
With all the resources devoted to colonizing Mars, they may not have even had the resources left to develop the 1986 Subraru Brat (which I would love to find matchbox of).

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.
Even Mars recognizes the importance of mankind’s greatest achievement: the 1996 Buick Le Sabre.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
I am glad I am not the only person who wants painfully mundane cars, like a Camry or a Jetta.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Magnetic North posted:

I am glad I am not the only person who wants painfully mundane cars, like a Camry or a Jetta.

Found this bad boy in a small bag of cars at Value Village

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

So far I'm rocking a '72 Ford Falcon, some random 30's hot rod, and a fleet of classic Mini Coopers.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

I know we’re talking less crazy vehicles, but I think I have my 3D printer dialed in.

Tires print pretty fast, and I’m not too worried about quality because they’re not a high-focus point.

comrade corcus
Apr 23, 2013
Those tires are awesome, makes me dream of a 3d printer

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Yeah that looks badass. Those tires make a big difference.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Glad people like it!

Tires come from this Thingiverse file. If any goons want a few sets and don’t mind rough quality, pm me an address and I’ll send an assortment. Tires are loving bullshit to find easily and cheaply for how simple this is. If anyone knows a good 3D modeler or has other tire models available, let me know.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

So how are people storing and transporting their poo poo? I have a couple basic plastic boxes for my unaltered cars and my weapon bits. For the completed stuff, I was looking at tackle boxes, and there are some great cheap ones on Amazon, but they didn't offer the vertical space I needed for some of the silly poo poo I'd done. I ended up going with one of these. I got two, actually, one for my card games. The dividers from that one I threw into my gaslands case. The height is good, the dividers let me store cars in exactly the right amount of space for each car. This model even has a zippered pocket in the lid for tokens and templates. I can keep 8 cars in there, plus dashboards, tokens and templates, and basic papercraft terrain/gates. It pushes the limits of my 'don't spend money on this game' ethos, but I figured I could splurge a little.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

https://www.amazon.com/Hot-Wheels-Spinner-Car-Case/dp/B0026646KG

or

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077F4CV3...22-5d0e7f4bb9cf

If you use neither of these, you're doing it wrong

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

How Disgusting posted:

The Hasegawa 155mm long tom kit comes with 10 wheels and it's cheap as dirt. The gun itself can be used if you've got a large pickup or flatbed truck. Other kits like jeeps or trucks are usable too but you can just as well build and convert the entire thing.

I tried this. The wheels are the right diameter but sadly they're far too thin. I can probably get one car out of this by doubling or tripling-up on the tires though!

Hedningen posted:

Glad people like it!

Tires come from this Thingiverse file. If any goons want a few sets and don’t mind rough quality, pm me an address and I’ll send an assortment. Tires are loving bullshit to find easily and cheaply for how simple this is. If anyone knows a good 3D modeler or has other tire models available, let me know.

I might take you up on this, those look really good.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

PoptartsNinja posted:

I might take you up on this, those look really good.

Lemme know and I can send an assortment. Can’t guarantee LOL AMAXING WUALITY L@@K, but they’re literally cheap as gently caress to make, give good-ish detail for the printing times, and add to the look if you put in a little work. Besides, you run a great play-by-post, so I’d love to feel like I’m contributing a bit there.

I think the goon assortment is gonna be a bunch of wheels, plus whatever random parts I feel like throwing in. Honestly, with how much some dudes are charging for wheels ($5 for a set of 4?), I feel honor-bound to make sure people have options.

Speaking of:

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
As far as taking these cars apart, I see there are drills and soldering irons. I don't own either of those, so it'd be an investment in either case. Do you guys prefer one over the other?

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat
played our first game tonight. my slime bus rear ended a buggy, then flipped becoming a massive roadblock. after it recovered it spun to sideswipe another vehicle then pinballed away into a friendly buggy before wiping out again.

the car it sideswept came around with its arc gun to shoot my buggy, the shot bounced to the bus then back to the firer, which then exploded causing the buggy to explode. the bus wiped out again from all the blasts and spun such that it passed the first gate. cue molotovs.

game owns

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Hedningen posted:

Lemme know and I can send an assortment. Can’t guarantee LOL AMAXING WUALITY L@@K, but they’re literally cheap as gently caress to make, give good-ish detail for the printing times, and add to the look if you put in a little work. Besides, you run a great play-by-post, so I’d love to feel like I’m contributing a bit there.

I think the goon assortment is gonna be a bunch of wheels, plus whatever random parts I feel like throwing in. Honestly, with how much some dudes are charging for wheels ($5 for a set of 4?), I feel honor-bound to make sure people have options.

Speaking of:

Tell me how much you want for a pack of stuff that doens't include weapons, and how much to ship it over here to Melbourne, Australia, and I would gladly send you cash money. I need bits like this but the stuff I can find is stupid expensive for what it is. Plus I'll always support goons first.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

tehsid posted:

Tell me how much you want for a pack of stuff that doens't include weapons, and how much to ship it over here to Melbourne, Australia, and I would gladly send you cash money. I need bits like this but the stuff I can find is stupid expensive for what it is. Plus I'll always support goons first.

I’ll check postage rates and let you know. I’m guessing engines, armor, and wheels are good? I’m doing a run of engine blocks today (takes longest to print due to overhangs/size for quality) then switching over to wheels tonight, so should have some prepped soon enough. My wheel assortments have grown by finding a few different models and resizing them to fit Gaslands a little better - right now, I think a runthrough of all the tires gives about 56 tires in total, and takes about seven hours.

And yeah, it’s always stupid expensive. I figure it’s because the genre is pretty niche, so there’s a big difference between supply and demand as far as sculptors/casters/printers go.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Hedningen posted:

I’ll check postage rates and let you know. I’m guessing engines, armor, and wheels are good? I’m doing a run of engine blocks today (takes longest to print due to overhangs/size for quality) then switching over to wheels tonight, so should have some prepped soon enough. My wheel assortments have grown by finding a few different models and resizing them to fit Gaslands a little better - right now, I think a runthrough of all the tires gives about 56 tires in total, and takes about seven hours.

And yeah, it’s always stupid expensive. I figure it’s because the genre is pretty niche, so there’s a big difference between supply and demand as far as sculptors/casters/printers go.

That would be ace mate! Thank you! And yeah, engines, armor and wheels are perfect! But whatever you think looks cool is good!

I found a guy in Australia who does dice and all the accessories at a good price/quality. But anything more is nearly impossible over here without paying crazy money.

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice
I have been taking detours from my commute to hit gas stations and drug stores for cars. I talked a couple friends into trying the game, and we all agreed that we would only use cars we can find in person. I'm really glad we did, because it's been a lot of fun scavenging toys aisles to army build. I've got half a dozen assorted vehicles disassembled and stripped to work on this weekend, and it's the most I've looked forward to a hobbyist activity in a long time. The biggest mod parts hurdle is tires (hi, hedningen! Will PM you this weekend!), everything else we've found at hobby stores and by cutting up old childhood action figures.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Okay, so I’ve figured out how I’m gonna do tires for people.

Because these forums are big part of what got me into gaming seriously again and Señor Lowtax’s Robo-spine is a grim reminder of the fleeting nature of human life, the deal is Support the Forums with Automotive Death. Here’s how it works.

• Let me know what you need (armor, engines, weapons, random bits) via PM. I assume everyone who would ask wants tires, because they’re stupid expensive otherwise. Based on printer time and how soon you’re looking to do this, I’ll do some print runs and get parts made. If you have specifics, either send me a Thingiverse link, an STL, or look at what Hayland Terrain has and tell me what you might want.
  • I’ll print that poo poo up. The base is always gonna be about 80 tires in a few sizes and styles, along with whatever else you request/I feel like throwing in because I’m still learning printing and it’s fun to print larger runs for my own customization enjoyment.
  • I mail that to you.
  • When you get your stuff, donate to the forums. Whether it’s buying somebody random an avatar or whatever, I don’t care. Just help keep this place open so people can do this.
  • Let me know what you think, and I’ll keep tweaking prints so that people have fun.

Because I’m just using stuff others have designed (admittedly rescaled) and not designing the files myself, I feel that’s pretty fair. Also, support your community and post pictures.

Hell, could even arrange something like the Great Chapter Challenge, where people get a random car assigned and can then model it for fabulous* prizes.

Current tire styles available. Top to bottom: Taurox (Set of 24), Victoria (Set of 8), Victoria 2 (Set of 8), Large Tire (Set of 8), and Small Tire (Set of 8). Sets are per printing, and the Victorias print together, so it’s 8 of one style and 8 of the other. Victorias are double-sided, and the rest have a single flat face.

Hedningen fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jul 21, 2018

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
can someone explain to me how dropped weapons work like I'm an idiot?

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice
Hedningen, if you could, bikes might be a good item to include. They and War Rigs seem the hardest to find scale models for, and bikes are small enough that they should be inexpensive. I've seen some good printed 20mm bikes on the Gasland Facebook group, so I'll see if I can dig up a link tomorrow to share.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Doorknob Slobber posted:

can someone explain to me how dropped weapons work like I'm an idiot?

Pretty simple:
  • Declare you are deploying a dropped weapon in your shooting phase.
  • Place the appropriate template (large or small burst) touching the appropriate arc. If rear-mounted, touching the back. If side-mounted, touching either side. If front-mounted, you’ve read the rules wrong.
  • The template is not considered to be touching the vehicle that dropped it unless it moves to overlap it. Template remains in play until otherwise noted.
  • Any vehicle that touches the dropped template, or whose maneuver template or final position after a Wipeout or other involuntary movement, is affected by it. Resolve the attack during the collision window in the appropriate phase.

Important notes: when a vehicle drops a template, it’s not affected by it unless it gets moved onto it. Caltrops and mines are removed after a vehicle touches it, oil, smoke, and glue droppers remain even if someone drives through them.

You also only resolve the effect during a collision window: treat it like an obstruction that gets placed.

Side-mounted dropped weapons are hilarious, FYI.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Is there anywhere people recommend for picking up just a big pile of bits to turn into weapons for relatively cheap?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Is there anywhere people recommend for picking up just a big pile of bits to turn into weapons for relatively cheap?

I went into the gaslands buy/sell/trade on facebook and picked up some guns, there is a couple people in there with 3d printers selling poo poo.

I haven't really found any satisfying armor or rams though. For my first batch of cars I just did a bunch of plasticard armor bits cut out covering the windows.

Doorknob Slobber fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jul 22, 2018

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Hedningen posted:

Because these forums are big part of what got me into gaming seriously again and Señor Lowtax’s Robo-spine is a grim reminder of the fleeting nature of human life, the deal is Support the Forums with Automotive Death. Here’s how it works.

• Let me know what you need (armor, engines, weapons, random bits) via PM. I assume everyone who would ask wants tires, because they’re stupid expensive otherwise. Based on printer time and how soon you’re looking to do this, I’ll do some print runs and get parts made. If you have specifics, either send me a Thingiverse link, an STL, or look at what Hayland Terrain has and tell me what you might want.
  • I’ll print that poo poo up. The base is always gonna be about 80 tires in a few sizes and styles, along with whatever else you request/I feel like throwing in because I’m still learning printing and it’s fun to print larger runs for my own customization enjoyment.
  • I mail that to you.
  • When you get your stuff, donate to the forums. Whether it’s buying somebody random an avatar or whatever, I don’t care. Just help keep this place open so people can do this.
  • Let me know what you think, and I’ll keep tweaking prints so that people have fun.

Because I’m just using stuff others have designed (admittedly rescaled) and not designing the files myself, I feel that’s pretty fair. Also, support your community and post pictures.

Hell, could even arrange something like the Great Chapter Challenge, where people get a random car assigned and can then model it for fabulous* prizes.

Current tire styles available. Top to bottom: Taurox (Set of 24), Victoria (Set of 8), Victoria 2 (Set of 8), Large Tire (Set of 8), and Small Tire (Set of 8). Sets are per printing, and the Victorias print together, so it’s 8 of one style and 8 of the other. Victorias are double-sided, and the rest have a single flat face.

You're a god among men. I've shot you a PM.

I love how cheap this game is to get into, but HATE the fact its so cheap so I buy more cars. Gahh.
Hows everybodys "To do" list looking?
So far, mines restrained. Some of these will be used for parts, too.

tehsid fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Jul 23, 2018

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I spray painted a primer on the gray/black ones need to hit up the red and green one with that and then paint them. We have one of the same car, the red baja truck thing. Mine has a turret on top and I glued a bigger spare on the back.

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice
Playing around with cars is fun.

Regretfully, I did not have much luck finding 3D schematics for bikes. There is one free on Thingiverse thats very sci-fi and just a little too large, or Heroforge has excellent bike options, but you have to play $10 and it's still too large.

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

DOG controls your destiny. Seek out three items of his favor and then seek his shrine.

Hedningen posted:

• I mail that to you.

Thanks for doing this, its really cool

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I slapped a 125mm cannon onto a pickup truck and ... eight dice is a lot of dice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Vlaada Chvatil posted:

Playing around with cars is fun.

Regretfully, I did not have much luck finding 3D schematics for bikes. There is one free on Thingiverse thats very sci-fi and just a little too large, or Heroforge has excellent bike options, but you have to play $10 and it's still too large.

Yeah, it’s difficult to find good models.

Anyway, I jumped the gun and printed four bikers from here after resizing them. They’re kind of in scale? Had to do a bit of resizing in Cura to make them fit and then realized that layer height of .04375 is pretty good for detail, if a bit long on printing times.

Will post pictures tonight of what’s sitting around and getting mailed out soon.

• Locked thread