Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Came across this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsjROma4-FQ. It's an amateur but still decent look at what a game of Gaslands actually entails.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hair
Dec 31, 2007

Of course, that can backfire... some men like their bitches crazy.
One thing to keep in mind from the game play videos is that they sometimes get the rules wrong. I can't speak for that video specifically but I don't think I've watched a video yet where there wasn't a mistake or two.

That said, my last game of gaslands we all mistakenly thought only 5 and 6 was a hit with attack dice, whoops!

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I've spent all this week playing a simple version with my 5 year old I've mostly made up on the fly.

You can always use any template, no guns only ramming. All collisions are 1d6 for the person who got hit and 1d6–2 for the activite player.

You pick your template then roll one Shift die. Shift does nothing (can't think of anything good), Slide does slide, Spin the other player gets to spin you up to 90 degrees either direction, ! the active player may choose to spin 180 degrees at the end if the template.

It plays REALLY fast and really just becomes a dice-chuckung math game, which is great for little people. We still mark damage on car cards, and when someone explodes we just toss them in a scrap heap and pick new cars.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Aug 16, 2018

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.
Finally finished my gate sets I got from Module-R (moduler.com.au) after sitting on them for months. Wrapped with how they came out after only 3 hour of work for all 6 gates.

Sorry the photo is poo poo though!

*edit*
Slightly better photo of the set

tehsid fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Aug 18, 2018

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Some new car WIPs.

This guy's a speedster. It actually came with nitros pre-modeled onto the floor and the driver's seat on the right which amused me, so I slapped two big gas tanks in the back and called it a day.

I love this old 50s-esque car. It was an Avengers character car for Hawkeye, but it's got such classy lines. I replaced the headlights with machine guns and the rust texturing was done by carefully rubbing a drop of super glue on the hood and rolling a toothpick coated in water over it to force it to dry quickly. Because of the water, parts of the surface dry far more rapidly than others making that neat crackling flakes effect.

The last one I need to show topless first: Mostly because it's got an adorable little rat with a wrench modeled onto the floorboard:

With the top on, I'm calling this guy Sir Lancelot. The door I cut out with a hacksaw to try to show the mouse, and replaced with screen. The weapon is a harpoon launcher, with a chain made out of a length of jewelry chain. As always, the guns is the shiniest and best-maintained thing on the car!

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
My wife found a whole pile of Jurassic Park branded Matchboxes at Target, bought them all, and told me I couldn't do anything to them except glue the wheels in place.

So now we play Jurassic Park Gaslands and I'm on the lookout for plastic dinosaurs that are to scale with Matchbox cars as obstacles and building Jurassic Park gates as terrain.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I loving love this thread.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

The conversions and community efforts in this thread are amazing, I’m gonna play some gaslands

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

It really is a great game, kept together with an even better community.

Speaking of an awesome community, Hedningen sent me a bunch of 3D printed parts at his expense, on the proviso I spent a little money on SA upgrades or something. I've done that, but I didn't expect the amount of stuff he's sent me at all...

I didn't expect this at all. Its all really good quality too! I'm absolutely wrapped! Now to keep building more cars!

Thanks Hendningen!

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I bought a handful of cars and some acetone from the grocery store today, pumped to get started. I think making teams out of what you happen to see in front of you in the store is a really fun way to do it. I bought a snow plow because it was a big truck that already had a ram built in, which I wouldn't thought to look for if I was just ebaying cars.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Definitely going to have to get into this game as it looks really fun, also I've got some cars that would be perfect for it(including a literal Skeleton Bus that I'll have to post a picture of when I get home)

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

I would like to give SA money for sweet 3d parts. How do I sign up?

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.

djfooboo posted:

I would like to give SA money for sweet 3d parts. How do I sign up?

Send me a PM with what you’re looking for and an address. I’ll send out parts (a lot of tires/wheels as the base, other bits by request) and then you decide how much you’d like to donate to SA.

Currently, Grundma, Huxley, and PoptartsNinja are waiting on parts because my printer needed an insane amount of rebuilding and recalibration. I think I’ve managed to un-gently caress things, but I’m still printing up my backlog to send out. I’m sorry for the wait, folks!

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Been putting together these prototype fence bits for Gaslands from Module-R Terrain. They're going to look rad on the table when I finish the bloody boards.

And I also put together a few containers from Knights of Dice. Need another 4 or 5 before I have "enough" though! Still need to finish painting them/weathing them.

Captain Hair
Dec 31, 2007

Hedningen posted:

Send me a PM with what you’re looking for and an address. I’ll send out parts (a lot of tires/wheels as the base, other bits by request) and then you decide how much you’d like to donate to SA.

Oh would you consider shipping to the UK? I'd need to buy PMs for the forums to message you, I do have a mighty need for more wheels though.

On another note, I finished my Warden team! I've got so many "in progress" models on the go it's nice to have some actually finished.

Attempting to link to imgur without breaking tables and stuff...

Muscle car, sports car and hot rod. All of them are super generic as they came in a pack of 25 cars for £4 from Argos.

And since I have duplicates of the cars, some before and after pictures.

Link to full gallery tried to best describe how I made them and what components were used etc. Basically all of them are made from scratch parts as I don't have any warhammer spares or other suitable fancy parts.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Captain Hair posted:

Oh would you consider shipping to the UK? I'd need to buy PMs for the forums to message you, I do have a mighty need for more wheels though.

I’ve already shipped to Australia, so the UK shouldn’t be an issue. Awesome work on your cars! I absolutely need to post more of my own work, but you all are putting me to shame with your stuff.

My printing issues seem to be mostly fixed (3D printers are weird and frustrating and kinda amazing). I’ll be doing a few longer runs over the course of the week, and next set of shipments will be headed out on September 8th or so, because I on a business trip right now and thus thousands of miles from my workshop.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Hedningen posted:

Currently, Grundma, Huxley, and PoptartsNinja are waiting on parts because my printer needed an insane amount of rebuilding and recalibration. I think I’ve managed to un-gently caress things, but I’m still printing up my backlog to send out. I’m sorry for the wait, folks!

I guess I'm mainly looking for weapons and wheels. I haven't played miniatures games for many moons so my "bits" are non-existent.

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

DOG controls your destiny. Seek out three items of his favor and then seek his shrine.

Heres a wip of a truck Im putting together using parts from a 1 dollar model dinosaur skeleton

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

That's pretty great. Are you planning on making the claws a bit sharper looking or are they meant to be crushing bits?

Captain Hair
Dec 31, 2007

Hedningen posted:

I’ve already shipped to Australia, so the UK shouldn’t be an issue.

Sweet thanks, I'll send you a message later :) I think I'm really after wheels and weapons, but I'll have a look and let you know.

And yeah I agree with making cars out of what you first come across is great fun. I mean my 3 prison cars were only going to be for junk, but I wanted to see what could be done with poorer quality cars.

Plus you get fun surprises using random cars. I've also come across a surprising amount of cars that have solid black windows, only to find a full detailed interior lurking within!

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice
I finished my first Gaslands vehicle, a no-upgrade buggy/car which I have named Shitbird.

I haven't painted a miniature in some 15 years, and I tried too many advanced techniques for someone at my level. It took me way too many hours, but I kept working on it and I'm reasonably happy with the results. I am most proud that I was able to lower the suspension but the wheels still work. I learned a ton and I'm having more fun with toy cars than I ever did with Warhammer.

The miniature road warriors are from Stan Johansen, who is frequently shared on the Gaslands Facebook group. Every other part is scratch built out of plastic card and rod, or, on the front hood, sculpture mesh.

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

DOG controls your destiny. Seek out three items of his favor and then seek his shrine.

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

That's pretty great. Are you planning on making the claws a bit sharper looking or are they meant to be crushing bits?

The plastic seem pretty brittle so while I'd like to make em look sharper Im a little nervous to do it. I think Im gonna try to paint em to look sharper than they really are.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Put an order in for the book

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Managed to wrangle my spouse and almost 5 year old into a game. Didn't get to finish the game because it was time to clear the table for dinner, but we had a bunch of fun.

My ghetto card board imagination terrain wasn't good enough for her though so she's gone nuts and is buying a 4x4 particle board and going to paint it and build terrain for our next game. She's also going to buy and paint her own team. Really the best outcome imo. Going to have to base the bikes. They are really cool models, but far too small to really work with the rules. Also I bought a laser cut wood set of templates and poo poo off etsy and my advice if anyone else does something like that is that the set I bought doesn't have enough ammo tokens if your teams are heavy on ammo. Gear tokens can also be much more easily replaced with dice. And finally you'll want a few extra of the templates for the dropped weapons which this set doesn't come with.

Doorknob Slobber fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Sep 2, 2018

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Got to play for the first time and show this to two friends today. We did the default two cars thing, which turned out quite nutty. It was super close by the end, with the last two cars with two HP each weaving around each other, taking potshots. It was awesome. Also, head on collisions are super duper deadly, holy cow.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Finally finished building my mdf terrain backlog. Only want some junky piles and barrel piles now, and the tiles to make the table 6x4! But then painting. So much painting!

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Well, finally finished up the main parts of my War Rig. Needs a lot more detailing done, but the main bits are at least attached.

Also, my work desk is a nightmare right now.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

I love it. Can't wait to see it painted!

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Worked on this little dude tonight. Calling him Chainz!

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I'm still searching for a good source for armor/rams and stuff like that. Haven't had much luck with ebay.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Doorknob Slobber posted:

I'm still searching for a good source for armor/rams and stuff like that. Haven't had much luck with ebay.

I'm trying my luck and carving armor out of plasticard since it seems like trying to buy it is really expensive, comparatively.

Captain Hair
Dec 31, 2007

Yeah honestly I've just been making my armour and rams from materials such as:

Lolly sticks and matchsticks (soaked can then be bent, or notches taken out and glued for harsher bends)
The plastic/card stick part of q tips.
Cable ties of all sizes
Rows of paperclip metal bars
Corrugated cardboard with the flat sides removed to look like corrugated sheeting
That plastic strap stuff with X patterns on that's usually around new cardboard boxes.
Old small plastic bottles for curved sections, ideal for rams.
Old speaker grills ripped from tvs stereos etc.
Various "kitchen cupboard fixings" like the little plastic caps and covers that blank unused holes or cover screws, of which I always end up with a spare pot full.
Shuttlecocks have nice varying plastic mesh patterns (just don't buy expensive feather ones) and the base of them gives a nice round spikey cage.
Doors and bonnets cut from other cars.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

We've played two death races so far, and it's crazy how long this has taken. The second one was on a quite small table, with 3-3-4 cars amongst the 3 players. No sponsors or driver perks, using votes, only 3 gates set into a V. It took 4 hours, and the last 40 minutes was cars dying and respawning and then suiciding into each other and then respawning again. We had a lot of obstacles but the analysis wasn't taking too too long. There were inspired moments like a car destroying my monster truck which rolled forward and exploded, destroying 3 cars. Still, I thought this was supposed to take 2 hours at most.

Any idea of what we might be doing wrong? What do you guys do for a fast game?

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Magnetic North posted:

We've played two death races so far, and it's crazy how long this has taken. The second one was on a quite small table, with 3-3-4 cars amongst the 3 players. No sponsors or driver perks, using votes, only 3 gates set into a V. It took 4 hours, and the last 40 minutes was cars dying and respawning and then suiciding into each other and then respawning again. We had a lot of obstacles but the analysis wasn't taking too too long. There were inspired moments like a car destroying my monster truck which rolled forward and exploded, destroying 3 cars. Still, I thought this was supposed to take 2 hours at most.

Any idea of what we might be doing wrong? What do you guys do for a fast game?

50 cans, I’m guessing?

Perks and Sponsors, weirdly enough, speed things up once you get the rules. They tend to make you think about your loadouts and go 2-3 vehicles, which can flow faster. It’s also a bit of a tactical thing: for Death Race, I usually run a faster vehicle with a couple of screeners and use that to push the lead while defending my main racer.

There’s also experience. As you use the templates more, you get more used to judging distances and avoid collisions a bit more, especially in a crowded field like you’re describing.

Other things that help: getting the collision rules down pretty cold to cut down on checking resolution, remembering that you roll up to handing in Shift Dice and can choose to roll 0, and generally getting more comfortable with turn order stuff.

I also play with lunatics who can storm through a turn pretty fast, so there’s that.

The Malthusian
Oct 30, 2012

When cutting out (copies of) the movement templates in the back of the book, do you cut to the outside of the thick black outline, or on the inside of the line?

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.
If I remember right, I cut on the outside and they were pretty close to my friends official acrylic templates, only slightly off because of my not great scissor skills. I think the border is so thick so that you can cut it out and still how some black showing.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Hedningen posted:

50 cans, I’m guessing?

Perks and Sponsors, weirdly enough, speed things up once you get the rules. They tend to make you think about your loadouts and go 2-3 vehicles, which can flow faster. It’s also a bit of a tactical thing: for Death Race, I usually run a faster vehicle with a couple of screeners and use that to push the lead while defending my main racer.

We were doing 50 cans. The idea that sponsors/driver perks might speed things up by encouraging fewer vehicles was something I had theorized. I guess we'll use it next time, but we were also thinking of doing a different scenario. Death race seems to be the most popular one, which is why we did it twice after the basic 2 car deathmatch.

Another thing I was wondering was how densely people tend to populate your fields with obstacles. We haven't played with terrain (roads, treacherous, etc) yet because we haven't had a way to easily represent them yet, so there were a lot of barely single-car-width holes to squeak through. Maybe that is making it harder.

Captain Hair
Dec 31, 2007

With our group we started at 75 cans, mostly because one of us had a heavy truck and the other had a war rig. It's worked out ok so far aside from the war rig using its own rules slowed things down quite a bit.

We haven't noticed much difference in playtime and such between 50 cans all the way upto 95 cans, stuff seems to balance out quite well.

The biggest difference in speed has come from us becoming more familiar with the rules, thus taking our turns quicker.

We try and keep gaps between terrain at minimum 1 short straight, typically 1 medium straight, away from each other. That way there's enough space usually for 2 cars to pass through, or 1 large vehicle.

One "rule" we do try to stick to now though is for death races we have the 1st gate 2 long straights and 1 car length directly ahead of the starting line. Otherwise we were just ending up with a bottleneck where everyone crashed into each other. We actually had a death race where only 2 vehicles made it past the 1st gate, everything else either got stuck in collisions or wrecked, so this way everyone gets a fair chance of weapons use. Any closer though and whomever is playing idris gets to nitro off the start and ends up through the gate a bit too early.

Had a good death match last night, though my team got destroyed by opponents good luck. I had a 70 can behemoth of a bus with 16 crew loaded with 40 (!) molotovs, exploding ram, battle hammer and boarding party. Only a fellow player t-boned my bus on the 3rd activation, followed by me smashing him on my turn. Whilst I did an insane amount of damage, he crippled me and then exploded, rolling 3 crits out of 4 dice on his explosion, my bus then exploded and reduced my other vehicle to a single health point so I was out of the game super quickly.

Rust in Pieces, my beloved pirate bus.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Due to work, a paying gig for my printer, and some good ol’ crippling nerd depression, next five packs are ready to send out after some seriously long radio silence/my own weird mental bullshit. For your patience, I’m tossing in some spare bits from assorted makers. Should get to the post on Monday to send everything out.

In other Gaslands news, I’m working on a homebrewed game type. If anyone wants to help playtest, I’d greatly appreciate it. The basic conceit is delivering packages. Best done on a crowded urban board, players drive their cars over hidden tokens to reveal the number. If it hasn’t been found yet, that car gains the token. If it has? Leave it face up. Kind of a number-matching game designed around stupid street racing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoneMonkey
Jul 25, 2008

I am happy for you.

Just found this game. The wife and I have played 4 times in the last five days, it really is awesome. I've edited my first car as well, working on my second.

And one know how to make two cool look flame throwers to poke out of the sidewindows?

• Locked thread