Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Car Wars also fell into a weird dead period in the 90s right when miniatures games were exploding all over. SJG didn't know what to do with it, made expansions for tanks, hovercraft, and (I think) zeppelins, GURPS Autoduel, and then a weird anime card game.

The obvious thing would have been to jump to miniatures again (rare CW minis actually came out in the 80s), but it never materialized.

There was also some in house drama between editions. You can still find the car X vs car Y starter books, but that's all that was ever produced for the latest edition.

I collected the poo poo out of this stuff as an 80s kid. I remember trading photocopied Autoduel Quarterly magazines and loving the AADA key fob and kill stickers that I'd need for when I was old enough to for-real drive.

There was also a janky PC game, which is probably responsible for SJG not trusting Interplay with the GURPS license for Fallout. Oops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I've never seen the child killer thing before - the story I'd always heard was that he didn't feel that any CRPG could capture the scope and feel of a tabletop RPG and that this would somehow be a shallower experience, seen as selling out, or otherwise be bad for the brand.

Which seems insane by today's expectations, but Fallout 1 / 2 essentially set those expectations for the whole industry.

But when your only experience was Autoduel, maybe you'd be forgiven for low expectations.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Are those elf farmers geting nuked?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Surely if the setting colonized Mars by 1992, they could have also developed the 2016 Kia Sorento earlier.

• Locked thread