Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
I'd settle for Stormvermin becoming a Battleline unit in the new General's Handbook while waiting on something more complete to come out.

Right now, I'm looking at 100 Clan Rats minimum for Battleline in 2,000 points. I got 2 units of 40 for fighting and another unit of 20 to push the Screaming Bell. I know Skaven is a horde faction but deployment is a pain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

MonsterEnvy posted:

Stormvermin are Verminous battleline.

True but it does not have any artifacts or neat command abilities at the moment. I’ve been using Grand Alliance Chaos since It’s abilities are useful and Crown of Command has been nice at keeping my rats around. It is tempting just to save myself the hassle tho.

S.J. posted:

I just want Skaven to be it's own god damned allegiance already

hell make Skaven it's own grand alliance

Even though I’m enjoying the Great Horned Rat fluff blurbs, they really need their own Grand Alliance. Hopefully soon.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
It is time for a Battle Report!

In one corner, we have the Skaven!

I had just finished my assassin and wanted to try him and 10 man Gutter Runner squad out.

My 1250 point army consisted of;

Skaven Warlord (Squeek! the Crimson) with Halberd and Shield with Cunning Deceiver and Crown of Command
Warlock Engineer
Assassin
The most useless Plague Priest

40 Clanrats with Spears
20 Clanrats with Blades
20 Stormvermin with Halberds and Shields
10 Gutter Runners

Warp Lighting Cannon

In the other corner, the Anvils of Heldenhammer (the real bad guys here)

My friend decided to get into AoS and dragged me into it with the release of 2.0. Being off during the summer is a nice perk of being a teacher, so he has been painting up the army like mad. I was never really sold on Stormcast but seeing them on painted up and on the table really sells them. Love the whole spooky armor thing he decided to go with.

His 1250 point army consisted of;

Lord Celestant on Dracoth with Tempestos Hammer and Soul-thief
Lord Castellant
Lord Relictor
Knight Incantor with Azyrite Halo

10 Liberators with Hammers and Shields
5 Liberators with Swords and Shield and one Grandblade
5 Retributors
3 Prosecutors

Endless Spells: Quicksilver Swords (never casted we are bad at games)

This was our first objective game and it made me really enjoy the game more. We've had been playing the standard, halve the table and just run at each other, games that come with learning. This time we changed it up. In the center of the board, there was a throne worth 1 point. 18inches in each cardinal direction, there was another objective, see the big blue dice from my pictures, that were also worth 1 point. The twist was if you scored the objectives on opposite ends, you got an additional point. Like so;
pre:
4      Throne  2
It really opened the game up for me and made those 10 Gutter Runners much more interesting, as well as my opponent's Prosecutors. I know it sounds silly to say how much different the game plays with objectives but I came away from this game feeling like we had a real match instead of just running armies up and rubbing models together.

Deployment went like this;

I wanted to deploy my Stormvermin to fight his Retributors cause I have vivid memories of them murdering Clanrats by the dozen. Sadly, he had them hanging out in Azyr or something (Ayzr-hole). My Gutter Runners were also off table waiting.

Turn 1: Stormcast go first.

The hammer bros immediately head towards the 20 Clanrat unit screening the Stormvermin. The Retributors appear off to the right as the Prosecutors fly over to take objective 2 quickly. The Sword liberators appear on my back line, apparently to hunt down my leaders who were courageously leading from the rear or go after my Lightning Cannon.

The Hammer Liberators easily make the charge, piling into the Clanrats.

This was something I was hoping to play out as I was trying to see how well Clanrats could screen and the answer was very well as the Stormvermin were able to pile in and get some attacks in with their 2inch range. The melee was a cluster from moment one.

He killed a handful of Clanrats but my Warlord was nearby with the Crown of Command so that I could avoid Battleshock. The Clanrats did nothing but the Stormvermin were able to kill one Liberator in the process.

In what is becoming one of my favorite things about Skaven, My Warlord piled in, stabbed a Liberator for 1 damage, and was able to roll well enough to Scurry away before my opponent could swing back. I just love the image of the Warlord running up, stabbing a guy, only to run away with a Saturday Morning Cartoon laugh.

The Prosecutors threw some spears at my Warlock but nothing hit. No spells landed. The Retributors and Liberators failed their charges and will have wait to get into the mix.

Skaven Turn 1:

Hero Phase: Things started to come together. Cunning Deceiver went off, giving me an extra Command point. I used Gnash-Gnaw their Bones (+1 attack) on my Stormvermin and Inspiring Presence on the 40 man Clanrat unit. My Warlock Engineer tried to fry a Prosecutor but the Knight Incantor automatically dispelled it. The Plague Priest did not cast his Plague this turn (or any turns).

Despite eyeing the Retributors wearily, the 40 Clanrats headed towards the Prosecutors holding the objective with the Warlock Engineer in tow. The Gutter Runners showed up, taking objective 4. They would stay on it for the next turn. I really should of used them a bit more aggressively, even if just to run up and throw ninja stars at folks but oh well, live and learn.

The warlock's engineer's pistol missed as did the Lightning Cannon shooting at the Retributors.

The Spear Clanrats made their charge and actually speared one of the Prosecutors down to earth. They took the objective as well.

The Clanrats with blades continued to do nothing but Stormvermin decided to step up. With the extra attack command ability, they had 30 attacks now. They outnumbered the Liberators, so plus +1 to hit. My warlord was nearby and I scored a 6 with Chaos Grand Alliance's ability to give them another +1 to hit. They now hit on 2s, wound on 3 with -1 Rend. In a flurry of Rat-Steel, every Liberator was killed except one with a wound who decided to take the Battleshock phase to rethink his or her's life choices elsewhere.

Skaven take a quick boost in objectives and feel pretty good about their place.

Turn 2: Stormcast win the roll off.

Hero phase results in the Knight Incantor burning up a Clan Rat from each block, but slowing their movement down as well. All his Stormcast get various defensive buffs.

The Retributors move close to the Spear Rats who begin to smell the musk of fear. The Sword Liberators also close in on the Warlord, Plague Priest, and the Warp Lightning Cannon. The Celestant on Dracolith moved up to charge into the Stormvermin and Bladerats. Every charge goes off and its pretty ugly.

The Skaven Assassin popped out of the Spear Rats and did two wounds and the Clanrats did one more before the Retributors swung. This is the last thing they will do as the Retributors killed about 20ish rats on their way in (thank god I put Inspiring Presence on them or they'd wipe right there). Their ability that makes to-hit rolls of 6 become two instant mortal wounds is strong as hell. My Warlord stabbed a Liberator to death but failed to scurry away. The Liberators deal three wounds to him and 4 wounds to the Warp Lightning Cannon. The Celestant on Dragon-dog took 4 Stormvermin down, but took 4 wounds in the process. Stormvermin just did work all game.

Turn 2: Skaven

Hero Phase sees the Warlock Engineer fail to cast Warp Lightning, taking a wound in the process because never not overcharge Warp Lightning. The Plague Priest failed his plague roll again, and the Warlord pop +1 attacks on the Stormvermin.

I decide to retreat the remaining Blade Clanrats from the center fight since they can still charge thanks to their Standard Bearer. I wish I remembered to move the Gutter Runners but they were giving me extra objective points at the time. Everyone else prepared to fight or die horribly as it were.

The Clanrats actually made the charge onto the Lord Castellant who prompt beat half them to death with his lantern presumably while taking no wounds in the process. The remaining rats in the squad decided now was the time to leave. The Stormvermin with 30 attacks overwhelmed the Celestant (though I would later apologize for cheating as I used their +1 to hit rule as they did out number him but it only applies to units). The Retributors just retributor'ed the Spear rats into the ground and the Assassin too for good measure, though he did nick one for a wound before being launched over the horizon by a hammer swing. The remaining two rats fled and who could blame them.

Not pictured: The 4 Sword Liberators, a Warlord, a Plague Priest, and a handful of scared engineers manning a Warp-Lightning cannon completely doing nothing to each other. Just sorta swinging swords at each other and hoping for the best while doing nothing.

Turn 3: Skaven win the roll-off!

Well, I went from feeling really good about this fight to well not so much. The Hero Phase sees the Engineer doing two wounds to a Retributor with Warp Lightning, removing another model. The Plague Priest did nothing and the Warlord was not close enough for any interesting abilities.

The Gutter Runners come off the objective, going towards the Stormcast Heroes hanging in the center of the board. The Stormvermin move up as well, looking at getting a charge on the Lord Castellant.

The Gutter Runners throw their ninja stars at the Relictor. It has 20 attacks for a 10 man unit! Sure, I did 4 wounds and he saved them all but I've played enough Imperial Guard to see the potential. They charged in as well, getting 20 attacks in the process and finally scoring 3 wounds in the process. The Storm Vermin charged the Castellant and they traded 3 Rats for 3 wounds as well.

The Sword Liberators finished off the Warp Lightning Cannon and Warlord, leaving my useless Plague Priest to continue to be useless.

Turn 3: Stormcast finale

Sadly, we had to call the game moments later. We were playing at this 1 man GW store that just opened and the employee was taking his lunch break. So we called it with the Stormcast likely to take the win. Three Retributors were heading back to the center and would likely charge the Stormvermin to good effect. My plague priest was not about to solo 4 Liberators in the south considering he had failed to actually make a dice roll the entire game, no matter the case. He had a slight lead in objective points as well. So yeah, Victory to Stormcast

Lessons: Stormvermin with a buff or two are scary as hell and using a little 20 Clan Rat to screen them in for pile-in attacks was great. Seriously if the Plague Priest had gotten a Wither on the Liberators on the turn I had my Chaos GA ability and Outnumber abilities trigger on top the Command Ability, I'd be hitting and wounding 30 attacks on 2's.

Warp Lightning Cannons are cool except when you roll 6s as your target number for two turns in a row. The Plague Priest getting Dice RNG'd was also rough.

Retributors are scary and basically require me to drown them in mortal wounds from things like Warp Lightning and god knows what else. Still have yet to deal with them on the battlefield.

Thanks for reading! I've not done a Battle Report in a while and hope you folks enjoyed. Sorry some of the rats are unpainted, its a big army! My friend and I are still learning the game so feedback is welcome!

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Bombogenesis posted:

Battle reports are good poo poo. What're your general thoughts on Skaven so far? We have a dude who works at the FLGS that just started them up but I haven't gotten a chance to see them in action yet.

Thanks for the feedback here and elsewhere on the Battle Report. It was fun to write up if a bit time consuming. They are fun to do especially on a good match.

Skaven are in an ok place at the moment. They have battletomes but they are really restrictive with what they can take from the bigger Skaven roster. Pestiliens is basically throwing plague monks and plague things at your opponent until victory or you run out of easily killable plague monks. Skryre is in the same boat with the battleline units being either Acolytes with grenades (who are 10$ a rat though some really neat conversions do exist) or Stormfiends. Stormfiends seem strong as hell but I imagine filling out your battleline with them is a quick way to run out of opponents. I'm debating asking my group for a House Rule that Clanrats are Battleline for all Skaven factions but that will happen down the road when I want to branch out a bit.

Skaven are really waiting for their own Grand Alliance or some kind of book that lets you play like Skaven in previous editions. Skaven use to mix and match from all the clans equally and were a really diverse faction. That said, Chaos Grand Alliance is not a bad Alliance to pick just to get the variety, if a bit bland. The Artifacts are good but Crown of Command really helps since Skaven are really vulnerable to Battleshock. The Warlord abilities are also nice with Cunning Deceiver occasionally giving extra command points. The Unbridled Aggression is not bad but I need to remember to use it more. I imagine I will find it better in time since I take a lot of Skaven Warlords.

I tend to max out my Warlords in every list since they are all pretty useful and having them around the units is nice for Command Abilities and Aggression to trigger. Engineers in general seem really good thanks to overcharged Warp Lightning sometimes just vaporizing a unit of elite infantry from time to time. They all have a good place but variety seems to be the key.

My biggest issue at the moment is finding a place/strategy for all the Clanrats I have to take. You really want to take them in 40 rat blocks for things like Strength in Numbers to activate and their weapons are crappy enough that you really want a quantity of attacks to go through. That said, they are a bit unwieldy and take good chunk of points away from all the other units I want to take. The 20rat unit screening the Stormvermin gave good results. Seeing how much tactical advantage I got, and could of have gotten more, with the 10 Gutter Runners showing up from the side, I'm working on kit-bashing a Warp Grinder team to let me deploy either a 20 or 40clan rat unit behind lines. I'm worried how they will do off on a flank but I think its a decent idea especially if I can get them to the center where Warlord support will be, or stashing the Assassin there.

I hope to get in a few more games in before I start my first year of teaching where I am sure that all free time will evaporate. I don't claim to be good but I'm happy to throw my thoughts in if your friend has any questions.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
So I think I'm reading this change in the General's handbook right. If so it solves a problem I had with not wanting to paint 3 units of Clanrats for 2,000 point games just to cover the Battleline requirements.

So here is the change;

So I am wondering if this solves the problem for playing Clan Verminus. It lets me take Stormvermin as Batteline units. There are no alliance abilities just yet so I should default to Chaos Grand Alliance. This means I can use the abilities and artifacts while still benefiting from the new Battleline rules. My local discord seems to think it does so I'm good there. I just wanted to see if I was missing something.

I also finished some Standard Bearers cause I think they were fun to paint. I have a few and may use them to flesh out units a bit since they just add a lot of flair to a unit. Also, I could see multiple standards being something an arrogant, rich Warlord would do.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Danimo posted:

Yep. You actually always could do that, they just changed why you can.

Before this FAQ the army allegiance you built your army in mind with didn’t restrict what allegiance you chose to get an ability/trait/artifacts from. So a Verminus army could use Chaos, but so could a Slaves to Darkness or Khorne player who liked Chaos traits better.

This FAQ reverses that by saying that you must use your army’s allegiance stuff unless you don’t have any.

Good stuff. I fully admit that I may have confused myself in trying to figure out how Skaven fit into this system. It is good hear that I can play Verminus and still get access to the GA: Chaos stuff.

Thanks for the clarification!

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Thank god Verminus can still get GA:Chaos because good god do they fall apart when you don't have access to Crown of Command.

"And I lose 10+ more due to Battleshock" is a phrase I've said more than once. Like, I know it Skaven's weakness in the end but it is devastating to effectively double your losses after a good fight.

It makes me wonder if/when Verminus or Skaven Grand Alliance ever happens, what mechanics Skaven will get to deal with morale. The new battletomes all seem to add neat mechanics to the factions so I hope Skaven will get the same. Even something as simple like the Grey Seer's Command ability, effectively a +4 save against Battleshock losses, becoming faction wide would be cool. Skaven seem pretty fun thus far if a bit generic is all.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/02/07/chaos-battletome-skaven-endless-spells/

Skaven spells seem really good to me. Vermintide looks like a great way to deny space as well as score a few mortal wounds same with the Vortex.

Gnawholes may be a bit tricky since an entire unit has to be within 6inches to use them so it might be tricky for big units of Clanrats but my Gutter Runners are going to love them. The added Arcane ability is nice as well.

Bell of Doom is going to be super useful but it will depend on how much it costs. Battleshock has killed more rats than most combat phases.

I'm super excited for this new tome at this point. It seems to be really giving me what I wanted with my Skaven.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

MonsterEnvy posted:

And leadership debuff. The spells downside is that it has a chance of exploding and killing your rats.

Those rats were up to no good anyways and getting rid of them was the Warlord's plan the whole time. A truly useful spell.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Dragonshirt posted:

Each one has two choices.

I'm thinking of doing Ratling Cannons, Windlaunchers, and Shock Gauntlets. My plan is have them run behind a group of Clanrats as a second wave unit, just shooting and generally causing as much havoc as they can. I had planned to use the Grinderfists to pop up behind something but I don't like that now you cannot use the Ratling Cannons because of how you equip them out.

Granted, I've not used them yet or even assembled them as of yet. But I think the idea is sound as a Second Wave unit that exists to cause problems and should be tanky enough that if anyone charges them to shut down the shooting, the Gauntlets and Clubbing Blows should be enough to care of anything short of a dedicated melee unit.

Crazy Ferret fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Feb 25, 2019

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
Is there no Skaven for WarCry?

I figured a handful of rats would probably enjoy showing up to stabs some idiots, steal their stuff, and probably disrespect a Chaos shrine or two. Has there been a specific explanation or are they coming at another time?

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

MonsterEnvy posted:

They are a Chaos faction and Warcry already has six with two more coming. Maybe in the future, but GW wants to use the new Chaos dudes they are making first.

I figured that the answer was the Chaos faction was getting too crowded. Oh well, all things in due time. With luck and time, I hope we get a nice looking Warband out of it as this models have been fantastic.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
I've been having a blast with my Skaven lately. This list is my most common list as its a blend of what I have painted as well as not being the most hardcore list. I don't want to go full-tilt on my friends, as the time I fielded 2 Lightning Cannons that rolled extremely hot felt a bit too much, so I try to balance fun with effectiveness.

Allegiance: Skaventide

Leaders
Grey Seer on Screaming Bell (220)
- General
- Trait: Master of Magic
- Lore of Ruin: Warpgale
Warlock Engineer (100)
- Lore of Warpvolt Galvanism: More-more-more Warp Power!
Clawlord (100)
Deathmaster (100)

Battleline
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Blade
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Spear
30 x Stormvermin (360)
- Halberd

Units
3 x Stormfiends (260)
10 x Gutter Runners (120)

War Machines
Doomwheel (160)
Warp Lightning Cannon (180)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 182

The general idea is the two 40 blocks of clanrats are the front of the army and they do...as much as they can. Stormfiends hang out behind the Clanrats with Rusty Blades as they tend to wound the least, whereas the Spears hold their own well with the Clawlord giving them extra attacks. The Stormvermin try to followup as needed as 30 of them tend to delete anything they get into contact with, though they are weak to getting killed by ranged attacks. Gutterrunners, and the not so subtle assassin attachment, come in from the edge to harass or grab an objective with ease. They prefer to harass but are ok in melee, especially when the Assassin jumps out to say "Hiya!". Doomwheel is just fun to tear rear end around the battlefield, looking for trouble. The Warp Lightning Cannon is either feast of famine as it can deal a ton of wounds or disappoint you, so its very Skaven-y. The Screaming Bell is great at the center of the army as it helps you deal with Battleshock issues and the random effects usually work in your favor.

Seriously, Skaven are a ton of fun if you like horde armies and there is a lot of different ways to play them. Just try them out different builds and see what feels good for you.

Edit: Oh poo poo top page art-snipe:

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Marin Karin posted:

Skaven are one of the more expensive armies, huh? I recently started collecting 40k, but I love Skaven in Total War so much that I'd like to start an army of them eventually. I was thinking the start collecting + clanrats would be the easiest entry point.

I'd rather slowly collect an expensive army I like than settle for a cheaper one I don't care for, so I don't mind their high price.

Skaven is not going to be cheap but its not terrible. The Start Collecting box is pretty good since you can also make a Lightning cannon and Screaming Bell if the Pestilens side does not do much for you. Plague Monks are useful as well and no one will care if you use a few to fill out the backline of a Clan Rat unit.

Another good avenue with Skaven is head to Ebay and search up "Island of Blood Skaven". Its an older box from I think...8th edition? It came with both Skaven and High Elves. It had a ton of Skaven models, especially Clan rats. Ebay in general is a good place to scoop up some basic unit sets.

Skaven are a lot of fun to play and I've been having a blast with mine. Drowning my opponent in a wave of Clan Rats while my Lightning Cannons and Stormvermin stalk up from behind is very cinematic.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Yeah every Underworlds band is basically "haha don't you wish your AoS troops could look like this?"

For real, I bought the skaven warband for no other reason that I wanted a great stormvermin Captain and some decent clan rats squad leaders. Great sculpts.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Zark the Damned posted:

Thank god this isn't from early AOS, you would have had to actually sing the song to get it's effects...

Or actually fart, which in a game store is a bit of an apocalyptic scenario.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

I'm making a Skaven Army as you all know and I'm planning:

80 Clanrats
Skritch Spiteclaw as a Clawlord

Then I was thinking of having some stormfiends and ratling guns and warpfire throwers for the real damage. What should I have for spellcasters? Part of my goal for this 2000 point army is to not necessarily win all the time, I'm not a competitive guy, I just like rats swarming people on the battlefield. lol Anyone got any suggestions?

Echoing the Grey Seer on a Bell, it will really help running a lot of clanrats and stormvermin. The Verminlords are also worth looking at as Screech and the Warpseer are great, and Verminus can be fun if you want to run a big Claw horde. I usually run an Engineer as well just to buff my various contraptions, and Warp Lighting can be handy.

Lately, I've been using a Bell with 1 group of 40 and 1 group of 20 clan rats, along with 30 Stormvermin and its been a blast. You get this neat, thematic core to your army and I still have points to run toys like cannons and a doomwheel. Once I get more painted, I will probably max out all those rat units.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
Clanrats are just there to get in the way, take objectives, and screen for the Stormvermin and other killers. Any kill that the Clanrat unit gets is a bonus victory as I do not expect to survive for very long once they meet the enemy.

I take a unit of 20 clan rats solely to stand in front of my large group of Stormvermin. Their job is get chewed up first and they usually succeed in buying me time for my Stormvermin to charge. It's worked well but this is about the only reason I'd use a unit of 20 clanrats, otherwise like 10 Gutter Runners can go annoy and take objectives better. I even have a silly RP where its "Slypaw's Horde" where the Sergeant is always recruiting new Clanrats to his unit with fresh weapons and armor, and the rats are not smart enough about why he is always coming back with the same weapons and armor and less rats.

Get 2 or 3 big blocks of Clanrats, a good block of Stormvermin, and then spend the rest of your points on leaders and tool of destruction.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
Honestly, I've had some of my favorite games in AOS in the last few years. Its more chaotic and exciting with big swings back and forth in the flow of the battle. The double turn can be a irksome, doubly so when it gives your opponent a chance to dumpster a good part of your army. The casual scene is absolutely a blast.

The competitive scene can be a game-y at times and it has turned me off to that side of the game. They tend to be very cut-throat in my area with armies that just smash. However, I do think its just a side of the game that does not appeal to me anymore. It looks like a good meta if that is your thing though.

I think I'm looking forward to AOS this summer more than any other game right now.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Dreylad posted:

So it sounds like horde army players might not have to worry, if this is correct they're increasing the min size of big units.

As a Skaven player, it was the only thing I was worried about. I think it is just visually fun to have a few swarms of clan rats and stormvermin charging up the board so I'd hate to lose it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Floppychop posted:

Clanrats are already min 20 and max 40 so it shouldn't affect them too much. Stormvermin are currently min 10 and max 40 so they'd have to be tweaked.

Stormvermin are easy as going to 20 to 40 like Clanrats makes sense. If it its something like 20 to 30 to 40, that will make the reinforcement limits more interesting.