Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

The Warcry Tome of Champions includes campaigns and missions for a bunch of factions that don't have Warcry rules - Like Seraphon, Fyreslayers, Ogres, and so on.

Are these factions that have incoming rules and they just jumped the gun on giving them content in the TOC, or am I missing something here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Cool. Do we have any eta? Also, what factions are being added?

I have friends with old, old, old 5-6th edition armies that I want to rope into Warcry, and "you can use your old models" is a hell of a sales pitch.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Is a Start Collecting: Slaves to Darkness box supposed to have warscrolls for the models in it? Because mine sure didn't.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Assembling the chaos lord on crackalack from the start collecting box has broken me.

I have beheld the forbidden black geometries of the crackalack. I have wrestled with the gray plastic of the damned for an age and more. I am doomed to wander the world, a withered, gibbering husk, irredeemably altered by assembling what man was not meant to assemble.

Geisladisk fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Feb 20, 2020

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

I picked up the Stormcast Vanguard box for Warcry and wondered if any goons with some Warcry experience could comment on the notion they're overpowered.

They are definitely a A-tier faction, but I don't think they are particularly overpowered.

They have good ranged game while being simultaneously decent at melee and tanky as hell, but they are very expensive. The main thing that sets them apart from other Stormcast factions (and other low-model count factions) is that they have access to super cheap, super fast, flying birds that allow them to play objectives really well, which is usually the weakness of low model count factions.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Yeah, the chaos cult warbands are dogshit compared to the AOS peeps. Splintered Fang and Iron Golems seem particularly dire.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

What is the most common points limit to play AOS at?

I've picked up the Start Collecting STDs box (1x Lord on Crackalack, 10x Warriors with shields, 5x Knights), mostly to make a Warcry Warband. I also have a Splintered Fang warband, and a Chaos Giant. What would a logical next addition be, if I wanted to expand this into a small army?

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

CODChimera posted:

My Tempest of Souls and paint set arrived, putting together it now. Is it normal for some of the shoulder guards to have a gap? Kinda wish I did have glue. and green stuff. oh and spraypaint and

Super fun though.

Yeah those snap fit stormcasts have a seam down the middle of the shoulderpads. Particularly problematic on the unit leaders which have a fancy lion head scuplted into the pad.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

hey guys look at me, I'm a stormcast hurr my god sucks and I'm a twat

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

The company culture he describes at GW is unbelievably unhealthy and toxic. Glad they cleaned house and brought in new people. It really shows in the quality of the products, too. Five years ago GW games were a punchline to me, now I play three of them.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh hey I actually finished a unit.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Cow elves are dope as hell but now I can't help but feel like not making them sheep elves was a missed opportunity.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Hey what should I get next for my STDs? My plaguetime lockdown goal is to have a 2000 point force by the time society returns back to normal. I have a lord on crackalack, 26 chaos warriors, 5 chaos knights, daemon prince, sorcerer, slaughterbrute, and chaos giant.

I feel like the trivially obivous answer is "marauders" but I'm really not in the mood to paint a dudehorde, those warriors were enough for a while.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Just remember that anything you paint will look better than gray plastic, and it is extremely difficult to paint an army that doesn't look good so long as the color scheme is coherent and everything in the army is painted. Everyone's first minis aren't great, but everyone can paint good minis, even if a lot of us won't ever paint great minis. :)

Speaking of not great minis, I finally finished these dumb loving assholes.

Those new chaos knight minis look wonderful, but they are an unholy pain in the rear end to assemble. I don't think even one of those guys fits together perfectly. It feels like the models were designed in Blender and they then used some unholy algorithm to split them into parts, and that algorithm's only goal is to fit as much unto the sprue as possible. They just have the weirdest part division.

That also makes it impossible to paint them in subassemblies. Usually with knight-type-dudes you'd want to paint the horse and the rider separately, and the shield separately. Nope. The shield, the arm holding it, the reins, and half the horse's head are all one piece (???). The rider's legs are the same piece as the horse.

Oh, and the rider and saddle are covered in details that you can only paint by awkwardly moving your brush around the shield and the reins.

I've never hated painting models that look this good before.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Arcteryx Anarchist posted:

ah is that what all that “easy to build” versions of models that are popping up are? Just set up in a way that reduces pose and maybe weapons/other bit options but less parts overall/easier joins?

Yeah but being one fixed pose also lets them individually sculpt and pose each model which gives them way more character.

Just compare the chaos warriors in Start Collecting STDs and the multipart chaos warrior regiment box.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Arcteryx Anarchist posted:

Owns

idkw but those infantry blocks always looked mean to me; like they were some tall dark barbarians here to calmly march up to you and wreck you completely

Which they did

Yeah, I have a soft spot for the old chaos warriors. As you said, they look like they are marching in lockstep. They look implacable and unstoppable.

The new ones are so loving good though. They are just dripping character. The only downside ís there are only 10 of them so you will always end up supplementing them with the oldies.

Each model has an alternative bare-headed head; My favorite guy is the model with the flayed human skin cape, complete with screaming face; His head is covered in ritualistic scarring and he has a poo poo eating grin.

He's a bit much, even for the other chaos warriors. Noone hangs out with him outside work. :stonk:

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

I have a lot of STDs now

Geisladisk posted:

Finished my lord on crackalack, which means I've finished the entire Start Collecting STDs box, which I definitely did not expect - and then some.

I've almost got a respectable Chaos force done. Almost. Thanks, global pandemic.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Geisladisk posted:

hey guys look at me, I'm a stormcast hurr my god sucks and I'm a twat

Now with paint.

This guy started out as just a goofy joke but now I really like the idea of a chaos warrior taking a dead sigmar's helmet and wearing it to mock them.

Of course for all I know their armor might explode into fart lightning when they die, but this guy had some tricks up his sleeve.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Arven posted:

I want a new AoS faction that is normal humans, or close to it. The new Kislev is the design aesthetic I like, but it's not being designed for AoS.

I feel like the closest thing to average joes in the AOS universe (multiverse?) is Cities of Sigmar dudes, the Warcry cult guys, and chaos marauders. I just have a hard time fitting just some guy living in Generic High Medieval Land who's life is basically okay into it.

The setting is so balls-to-the-wall over the top metal and insane that moustache-men in frilly shirts living in militarized fortress-cities ruled by a totalitarian god-king and his transhuman gold enforcers, and post-apocalyptic Mad Max people in snake deathcults are the closest thing to normal in it.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Professor Shark posted:

I would like to make an award for our D&D group that was unfortunately cut short. This would be for high school students who showed the greatest dedication to both the group and their characters. Is there a good Warhammer Dragon model that you guys could suggest that I could use? This thing would be completely painted gold (with shading and highlights) and be mounted on a stained wood stand, hopefully with a small plaque for each year.

https://www.reapermini.com/miniatures/dragon

As others have said, Warhammer has kind of moved away from basic dragons. But Reaper has an absolute assload of classic dragon miniatures available, plus they are way cheaper than warhammer!

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

I have a question about the Slaves to Darkness Ravagers command ability, and I guess summoning abilities in general:

quote:

Rally the Tribes

You can use this command abillity at the end of your movement phase. If you do so, pick the model that is currently your general. The same model cannot be picked more than once per battle. That model rallies 1 unit of 10 Chaos Marauders ... That unit is added to your army.

So... because who the generals of a Ravagers army can switch every turn, and I can have up to 6 heroes, does this mean that in order to play a Ravagers army I need to have up to 60 Marauders on hand, in addition to all the ones I presumably have in my army already? :confuoot:

Or is there a limitation somewhere on summoned units that I am not aware of?

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

Why yes I used the Warcry Stormcast Vanguard set to start a Stormcast army thank you for asking.

I got tricked into doing AOS by Warcry too - Inch by inch, I didn't even notice I was collecting a chaos army before I was halfway there.

Hey this Warcry game is cool, let's pick up a box of Splintered Fang.
Oh boy, these Splintered Fang guys kind of suck on the table. I want some Chaos Warriors. Oh, I can either buy a box of 16 almost-monopose old warriors or pay slightly more for the Start Collecting box and get 10 awesome and varied warriors? And a guy on a lizard and some knights but I don't care about those.
Oh wow, sometimes monsters appear in your games but I have no monsters. Cool, I can 3d print a chaos giant.
Monsters & Mercenaries just game out, I really want a sorcerer, oh, and that fat nurgle guy is cool.
...Wait, I have almost 1000 points of AOS chaos? gently caress it, I might as well grab another box of chaos warriors.

Fast forward a couple of months and I'm playing a 2000 point game tomorrow.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Question about Battalions: If a battalion requires X many "units" of a certain type, do heroes that meet the criteria count? Specifically: A Plaguetouched Warband requires 7 Nurgle "units". Do heroes with the mark of nurgle count towards that?

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

The ability that lets you cast two spells with a strength of 12 is Teclis' command ability, right? I dunno, comboing a 660 point guy's command ability and a 70 point endless spell to cause an average of 3ish damage to each unit he can see is good but is it really that broken?

Admittedly I have played a grand total of one (1) game of AOS so my sense of the game's power level is nonexistant, but still.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Not so much "flying real close to the copyright sun" as "fired straight into the heart of the copyright sun on a rocketship".

A lot of his models are either meticulous copies of Total Warhammer models, or the Total Warhammer models themselves modified to be compatible with 3d printing. His Chaos Giant, for instance.

Not that I'm complaining. I save every one of his models to my computer because it's only a matter of time before he is removed from thingiverse.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Horrors of Tzeentch rules question. Their special rule reads:

quote:

Split and Split Again: Should a Horror
meet its end at the hands of the enemy, it is capable of splitting itself into lesser daemons and renewing its assault twice over.
When you allocate wounds or mortal
wounds to this unit, you must allocate
them to a Pink Horror model if it is possible
to do so.
Each time an Iridescent Horror or Pink
Horror model from a friendly unit with
this ability is slain, you can add 2 Blue
Horror models to that unit after removing
the slain model. Each time a Blue Horror
model from a friendly unit with this ability
is slain, you can add 1 Brimstone Horrors
model to that unit after removing the
slain model.
Set up the additional models one at a
time within 1" of the position that the
slain model had occupied. The additional
models can only be set up within 3" of an
enemy unit if the position that the slain
model had occupied or any other models
from the slain model’s unit are within 3"
of that enemy unit. If you cannot set up
the additional models in this way, they are
removed from play (they do not count as
being slain).

Since each Pink turns into two Blues, and you have to allocate wounds to Pinks before you start killing any Blues, doesn't this mean that if I have a unit of 10 Pinks I have to have 20 Blue models on hand to properly run the unit?

The rules mean that each Blue is basically invulnerable until every Pink is dead.

If my understanding is correct, this is pretty frustrating because a box of 10 Pinks is 40$, and box of 10 Blues and 10 Brimstones is 40$. So to properly run a unit of 10 Pinks you'd need to drop 120$.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Is it not viable at all to pick Chaos or Destruction or whatever as your allegiance? I love the idea of playing just a grab bag of whatever I want.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Rule question: If I summon a unit, can I take free optional upgrades such as champions, musicians, etc?

Specifically: The Gaunt Summoner can summon 10 Pink Horrors. Are these all vanilla Pink Horrors, or can I make one of them a standard bearer, one of them a musician, and one of them a champion as indicated by the warscroll?

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Der Waffle Mous posted:

aos team play rules are the stupid content that I absolutely crave

The "It's X-Wing But Flying AOS Monsters" ruleset in the 2020 book is a strong contender too.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

gently caress me for spending 120$ on a box of pink horrors and two of blue horrors for my gaunt summoner I guess.

Totally a correct change though. 10 pink horrors are 200 points, a gaunt summoner is 260, so with the horrors you basically get the summoner for 60 points.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Most AOS factions seem to have a couple of models that are just huge, and waving fragile spindly bits all over the place. Models like Archaon and Nagash are prime examples, but also less-gigantic-but-still-big models like my chaos warshrine.

I've been collecting a STD army during the pandemic, and it looks like I might actually soon start being able to take it to my FLGS to play games.

How on earth do you travel with models like this to a game? There's no way to fit Archaon into any kind of gaming case. The motherfucker barely even fits on my shelf.

Have any of you come up with any clever solutions? Because right now the only thing I can think of is to just tuck him into my child's booster seat and put the seatbelt on him like a extremely spiky little baby.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Last night, I played a friendly game. 1500 pts, me with Slaves to Darkness, my opponent with Legion of Grief.

We both brought lists with lots of wizards. He had two necromancers, I had a Gaunt Summoner, Sorcerer Lord, and I brought three endless spells - Darkfire Demonrift, Eightfold Doom-Sigil, and Spellportal.

On turn 1, thanks to getting a +3 on my Cabalist ritual thing, I get all three spells comfortably off. I put the spellportal in front of his army. Then the Gaunt Summoner puts the Daemonrift through it, as well as the Doom Sigil in the middle of the field.

Now, the Demonrift does d3 mortal wounds to everything it travels through, +1 for each Wizard and Endless Spell within 12". Thanks to having two necromancers, a Spellportal, and Doomsigil within 12", it absolutely tore through his army - Killing 5 Bladegeists, one Necromancer outright, 7 Grimgast Repaers, and taking 5 wounds off Kurdoss Valentian.

My Gaunt Summoner, no doubt cackling maniacally at the destruction he has wrought, only gets a second to gloat. On the second round, my opponent chooses to go second - And can thus move the Demonrift. Right back through the spellportal, and into the Gaunt Summoner and my Sorcerer Lord. Again, due to the huge number of wizards and spells near it, it blows both of them up in one go.

I just love the image of this evil sorcerer opening a portal, throwing a dangerous and uncontrollable spell through it, before having it bounce right back and eat him.

AOS is cool.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

You can also use Nurgle and Slaaneesh models together, by playing the Chaos grand alliance, or by allying them into each other's factions. There is also a faction that lets you take all chaos demons in one faction, the Legion of Chaos Ascendant.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Dang, those third party Kroxigors are pretty. Awesome job.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Is there anything worthwhile worth allying into Slaves to Darkness from the other Chaos factions? Here is what I'm considering, I'm wondering if I've missed something.

Khorne
Bloodsecrator passively adds 1 to the attacks of Khorne-marked units within 16"
Aspiring Deathbringer's command ability adds 1 to the attacks of Khorne-marked units within 12".
Getting +2 attacks on a unit, and then adding Chaos Warshrine to make them reroll hits and wounds seems pretty mad.
Exalted Deathbringer makes Khorne units within 18" not take Battleshock - Situationally nice for Marauders, I guess?

Nurgle
Harbinger of Decay's command ability gives 5+ shrug on Nurgle units within 7".

I flicked through Tzeentch and Slaneesh as well, but didn't really see anything that called out to me.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

I started painting a Slaves to Darkness Warcry warband in january. Then Covid happened and instead of being one of the many things I can do for fun, mini painting became the only thing.

Unfortunately I've only managed to squeeze in a couple of games with them during lulls in Covid, but this too shall pass.

Special thanks to Splintered fang for being so poo poo at Warcry that they made me pick up a STD starter. That escalated quickly.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

I just realized that "osseous" means "made of bone", so a "Ossiarch" is a bone-ruler.

So the name of the Ossiarch Bonereapers is Boneruler Bonereaper. They're the boneguys. What do they want? Your bones. Where do they live? In the bonecities. What is their equipment made of? Bones. What ammo does their artillery fire? Bones.

Boney bone bones boner boney bone. A fractal made of bones. The closer you look, the more bones you see. Bones.

bones

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Sideboarding needs to become a thing. Bring a 2500 point list to the tournament, pick 1750 for the game after inspecting your opponent's list.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

dingo with a joint posted:

Looking at their cards, they seem a bit... dry.

Would you say they are.. bone-dry? :rimshot:

That is just the OBR playstyle. They're a slow moving brick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

One of the more amusing chapters of GW's copyright saga is when they sued someone making third party bits for their models. It was all original designs, no straight up copying, but still clearly stuff that imitaded their design and fit with their models.

GW sent a C&D, which GW expected to make them stop, being a small company with limited resources. To their surprise, the company contested in court.

In a rare moment of sense, the copyright court ruled in their favour, ruling that making things that were clearly based on GW's general design but did not directly copy anything, and did not include any of GW's trademark iconography, was fine.

This immediately caused an explosion in companies making offbrand proxies for GW models and bits for GW models. Whoops.