Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Dope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Geisladisk posted:

Cow elves are dope as hell but now I can't help but feel like not making them sheep elves was a missed opportunity.

People think sheep isn't a warrior theme but in Six Ages the sheep worshippers fly and poo poo lightning

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

JBP posted:

I'm super down for computer aos that isn't like total war.

Yeah, main thing that kept me from even trying out WHTW is that I played about 5000 hours of the first 4 total wars and never got un-burnt out.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

When even was the last decent RTS made?

RTS has a fairly high level of variation (note that Europa Universalis is, technically, an RTS). I'd say Wargame: Red Dragon was the last one I really liked, and that would be a fairly good rudimentary format for AOS, partially because there's no base building. Steel Division 2, by the same people, was 2019, but I don't think it's as well regarded.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

RagnarokAngel posted:

https://www.goonhammer.com/start-competing-fyreslayers-tactics/

(Image credit: TheChirurgeon)

I wrote a Start Competing article for Fire Dorfs

Extremely rad

Quick note - you didn't include a lodge summary for Lofnir.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I really like the Lumineth models but I also 100% hated High Elves in WHFB, so I'm probably just outside the target demo.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/06/15/lumineth-realm-lords-whats-in-the-army-setgw-homepage-post-2/

Lumineth box preview. Apparently they're multipose from the getgo instead of later like with the Sisters.

Dude's gonna hit his own helmet with his hammers lmao

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Geisladisk posted:

I just realized that "osseous" means "made of bone", so a "Ossiarch" is a bone-ruler.

So the name of the Ossiarch Bonereapers is Boneruler Bonereaper. They're the boneguys. What do they want? Your bones. Where do they live? In the bonecities. What is their equipment made of? Bones. What ammo does their artillery fire? Bones.

Boney bone bones boner boney bone. A fractal made of bones. The closer you look, the more bones you see. Bones.

bones

Hold on I gotta check your Bone BIN (Bone Identification Number)

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Ristolaz posted:

Why not have completely interwoven turns like many boardgames do? You move a unit, I move a unit, and so forth until everyone's done. Same for shooting and every other phase. Is there a reason this wouldn't work?

I"m p sure that GW themselves have done this, just never for the two main games. AFAIK it's just a dumb tradition at this point.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

My expectation is that we're not going to see alternating activation or delayed damage resolution in mainline WH because it's perceived as a significant increase in complexity and learning difficulty over "each player has a turn, when a model dies you take it off the table." Having played a fair number of games with those mechanics, it's not really that significant of an increase in beginner complexity and honestly something of a decrease in the complexity at the intermediate level, since reactive, immediate decision making gets rewarded more than in 'block turns' which can make turns feel like running a clock when you get a little bit better but not quite great.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Talas posted:

Reading about how the Skaven were and after watching some old Fantasy battles on YouTube, now I'm glad I didn't play WHFB at all.

I spent more time playing Skaven in WHFB than the rest of my GW related experience combined, and you are wiser than I ever was.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I really like the armor on that vampire. The gigantic matte panes of armor is just very...scifi feeling. Otherwordly.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Eldritch BiLast posted:

Does anyone think that GW is going to move away from the "Start Collecting" series with AOS like they're doing with 40k? The combat patrol boxes they are introducing there give you an army in a box to play with straight away, so could something there possibly come along for AOS? Asking more so for the ease of getting people into playing.

Actual AOS talk, I'm having a hard time of coming up with a color scheme for my Lumineth. Don't want to do any standard colors, but drawing a blank on anything else.

https://www.goonhammer.com/how-to-paint-everything-other-eldar-craftworlds/

Ctrl F for "Horras" to see some real inspiration. I'd love to see those colors on Lumineth.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Floppychop posted:

I refuse to acknowledge sky durrrden as dwarves.

Outside of the leftovers tossed into cities of sigmar, AoS doesn't have any real dwarves.

What's wrong with the Fyreslayers?

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Then I said "i dont like this color scheme" and decided to make hosed up neon hell-rats.

Extremely good.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

RagnarokAngel posted:

Great question, honestly its probably just built into the game as a legacy mechanic its such a huge ask to change. There are advantages and disadvantages to both (namely that alternating activations are very skewed against whoever has fewer units).

There's probably a number of ways this can be carved up but I'm not sure what the ''best' solution is. In principle alternating activations having more activations is mitigated pretty heavily by the player who has fewer activations having more impactful ones and thus has more of their impact front-loaded, but this only really pans out if the rules about points and unit sizes are tuned well. Having some sort of orders budget like Saga may make it less of a problem as well (Saga is not alternating activations to be clear, I just think their activation mechanic is cool).

Infinity has an interesting solution that (that may not work for AOS) - when it is the other player's turn, your units can "react" to the opposing units, mostly by making dodges or with basically overwatch shooting. At a minimum it means that you're never really just twiddling your thumbs because it's not your turn.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

The present-tense 40k balance is currently dire, goonhammer has done some dives on it but the tl;dr is that Drukhari lists that use Dark Technomancers have an 83% win rate in tournament games (source: https://www.goonhammer.com/may-40k-meta-review-addendum-odds-and-ends/)

But that's only part of competitive play. An arguably more important question is playerbase - a lot of what makes a game competitive is the competition itself, and without a large enough playerbase that competition levels stratify and a meta emerges, it's really not much going. I can definitely think of quite a few games that had great competitive scenes years ago and remain really well balanced and whatnot, but are now ghost towns and really just visited for nostalgia or curiosity.

I should probably do a little research on what my local scene is like as The Plague starts to recede.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Revelation 2-13 posted:

Current 40k is probably the most balanced of any warhammer fantasy/aos/40k edition since the 80s. Yeah, drukhari are currently way strong, but since they address those things via FAQs and/or points change in 40k quite regularly and often quickly (extremely unlike aos), it probably won't last long. Currently AOS balance is like a hot mess. Some of it has to do with the introduction of insane shooting for a bunch of factions, but more broadly I think it's because it's really hard to balance the game in general, with the way they've set up abilities, damage/point calculations and so on - and perhaps especially how they only rarely seem to be cognizant of how good some of the combos they create are (see: when a flesh-eater courts dragon could solo an entire army for example). I hope they try and do better for 3rd. A healthy competitive environment isn't good on it's own, but as a supplement to regular games, it does add a bunch of good things imo.

So I mean, I feel like this is a quibble but as an enthusiastic spectator, at a bare minimum, this current situation seems quite a bit worse than it was for example before Codex Drukhari was released. This is still much better than uh everything before 8th edition and several periods of 8e like those two months where Iron Hands killed everyone, but it's also in very time-local terms not good. I can imagine it springing back fairly quickly with a couple of strong point hikes because the underlying game of 9e is just better than previous editions, but I also expected those hikwa weeks ago.

I do think that GW, in general, has a deep, core balancing problem: they are really really stuck on point costing things without any systematicity. As long as that is at their core, they're groping in darkness toward a coherent balance, and will frequently wander further off.

While I disagree in that I think that a healthy competitive environment is good in and of itself for no deeper end, because hey that's entertainment, but I further do agree that a healthy competitive environment can have really great spin-off effects for the casual environment, because if nothing else a healthy competitive environment is the crucible that tests a game's fairness. Because even in casual play, people do care about fairness and having some real degree of interactivity, plus even casual pickup basketball fans get joy out of seeing what the top end of the game is like.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Furism posted:

. I realize you can sort of do this with Tabletop Simulator but it looks fiddly and not of very good quality.

I've done a fair amount of this, and it's honestly pretty good.

Fiddling wise, not bad at all. TTS is very literal about being a table top simulation, so you pick up models and throw dice and so on with the main reason for being worse than IRL being that you can only use one hand (group select makes up a lot of the difference). Physics is different but not in entirely bad ways: it's much easier to avoid accidentally knocking over terrain. Printing army lists into games is a bit of a trick but not strictly necessary.

Assets wise, AOS lags badly behind 40k and Infinity and really a lot of games. Last I looked a lot of the assets are "paper doll" rather than true 3d models. So that's genuine weakness.

For terrain you're at the mercy of the modders as well but there's an embarrassing amount of options.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I like these heroic & monstrous abilities. I think they're neat :) .

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Deified Data posted:

Painted up some good guys for once. Scheme came together alright, now to think of a name for their Stormhost

great work on the faces and that flaming sword bit!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Yeah eels are really good.

It's a pretty odd thing about GW and feels even more exaggerated in AOS - some factions have really really shallow benches (Idoneth and Fyreslayers stand out to me because they were the first two factions that caught my eye), while a couple factions have incredibly dense benches like Skaven. Most other tabletop wargames I've looked at have at least broad parity between the major factions on unit selection, so it feels pretty striking in AOS and I'm not sure what the best way to proceed is (I assume there's no plan in GW because...GW).