Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I won't lie, the idea of running a Warlock Engineer and nine Stormfiends at 1k points is pretty tempting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

I am glad that Daughters of Khaine have Generals so sexy they make it harder to shoot a giant wheeled shrine with a huge statue on top.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

LordAba posted:

I'm pretty sure that this isn't a rule, unless I'm reading the scroll wrong. Is it an item / allegiance ability? I just bought the book today, so haven't looked over them. I would totally take a -1 to hit though!

It is one of the Command Traits.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

S.J. posted:

I was thinking the Celestant Prime was explicitly reincarnated Karl Franz?

I think he is explicitly not.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

For_Great_Justice posted:

Horned Rat as a true god is still dumb.

I don't know, he is in basically the same situation Sigmar is in. I do like like that the other Chaos Gods basically ignore him.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Hashut is the only God really worth worshipping, hth

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Solemn Sloth posted:

Hashut when?!?!

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Hell yeah, getting ready to endlessly toil for Hashut. I have a bunch of old big hat chaos Dwarfs, but I have been wanting some of the ForgeWorld ones. This is as good a reason as any to start a second AoS army.

:homebrew:

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Shout out the the Chaos Dwarf Fortress in the Death Dimension. I am really surprised how much I am liking the lore now they are bothering to actually have a setting.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Black_Nexus posted:

He is tiny now

At least he is still cool. :unsmith:

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Seldom Posts posted:

Mantic makes a line of abysssal dwarfs if anyone wants to proxy and save enormous amounts of money.

http://www.manticgames.com/mantic-shop/kings-of-war/abyssal-dwarfs.html

But they look like trash though?

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Seldom Posts posted:

No, they look fine.

:thunk:

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

beergod posted:

Man, this is quite the rabbit hole to go down. I have Soul Wars coming in the mail tomorrow and picked up the Dark Imperium starter set after spending some time at the local Games Workshop store.

Does anyone recommend any of the Age of Sigmar novels?

Plague Garden is the book that sold me on Age of Sigmar, but anything by Josh Reynolds is a good idea.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

I kinda like how limited the factions are. You get just the important thematic stuff so they can release what makes sense, without having to give everyone every kind of thing. Also, the designers are able to create cool new things as a thematic new army rather than give Fyreslayerz a second kind of calvary after struggling to fill the calvary slot the previous year.

Does this mean I would be opposed to Dwarfs getting baby Magmadroth riders in the future? No, of course not. But would I rather have a new army of Light Dimension Elves that have a dragon riding unit instead? You bet.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

The Deleter posted:

So the question of what optional rules are being used in tournaments is solved. I guess. GW recommends using the Realm of Battle and Malign Sorcery rules in tournaments, but leaves how these are generated to tournament organizers. Which is some nice buck-passing, but at least they give reasons as to WHY they should be used.

I like the idea of the organizers rolling randomly and announcing right before the round starts. I wonder if in practice it will end up more like Infinity where they list the missions in the rules pack for the event so people know what 5 realms and missions are happening before they submit lists.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Guess people will just have to learn the rules if they are in a competitive tournament. :shrug:

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

So excited my favorite army gets the first book of another edition! It worked so well in 8th. :smithicide:

Seriously though, so excited to get my Beastmen back out after not playing them for years. The fact that I will be able to have both Minotaurs and Dragon Ogres both without being limited by the allies rules is nice.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

This is the third book.

OH, I forgot all about the Starter Box factions. Still, excited for an Era where my big monsters are not 100+ points more than a Dark Elf monster and worse in every way.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

I am a big fan of the lore in AoS 2.0. Just presenting the planes as huge places that get weirder the farther out you go while also giving examples of things that exist there is the best part about the new edition. Copying 40ks freedom to do whatever because the scope of the world is so huge, while also giving you concrete places to care about if you don't want to craft your own original stuff is great.

I also like that it is fighting back against Evil. My Chaos army controls some region of Ghur where I am up to no good while my buddy who plays Stormcast is the force sent to liberate the region and banish my army back to Chaos Dimension. Nice and simple, and if I want I can give my characters Ghur items to increase the flavor.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Age of Sigmar armies are pretty limited in scope by design (except Stormcast) so I think the idea is that for bigger games you are going to take allies to cover deficiencies in your force. I think you can see this trend for sure in 40k now where all the new armies are going to be a limited number of units like Custodies that you can play as a solo force as you like but make more sense as part of a larger coalition.

I expect while Orks in 40k are getting some beautiful new models there won't be anything really new. If the speed freaks stuff is more than just a renaming of existing units with some mechanical tweaking I would be surprised.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

I really like the big stuff feeling powerful. I am building Chaos Dwarfs now, and holy cow Bull Centaurs are amazing now. I can see why I can't use my old models for them.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

For_Great_Justice posted:

Ungors are always volunteers even if they don't want to be.

Should have been born with horns, hth

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

richyp posted:

I'm in a similar boat with Blood Bowl, of which I've taken one look at the rules last night, before our first game tomorrow and thought gently caress it, i'll concentrate on moving, passing and blocking then look at the other stuff in the next games etc..

All you need is Block, Dodge, and a healthy distrust of passing and you are ready to go.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Cainer posted:

Don't listen to this pig, pass as often as you can, preferably with an enemy model between thrower and catcher. What are the odd's they'll intercept? It's like a million to one, you should go nuts.

Nothing harvests a bigger crop of MAD than having an Orc team pull an unlikely passing play as their black orcs tear through your team.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

The Deleter posted:

Nobody plays 9th Age.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

TKIY posted:

Also picking up the SCE half of Soul Wars to start an army.

Where to go from there though, especially with a fairly competitive group of player? I understand Evocators are sick filth so more of them, maybe 2 more Ballistas and the Ordinator?

Just be like me and load up on Decimators and just chop those hordes up.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

I love that I am probably going to buy the Thunderstrike Brotherhood box, even though I bought the original AoS starter. Most of what I used it mostly for was making rad statues to use as terrain, who knew the game would eventually evolve to not be dogshit.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

TKIY posted:

Welcome to the good GW game.

Sorry, I already play Blood Bowl :colbert:

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Making those Disgustingly Resilient rolls feels good though. I love the Plague Spewer so much in practice, just jam up a lane and dare someone to charge you.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

At the end of the day Skeletons are Skeletons so you can easily run Tomb Kings as normal Death Rattle stuff with no effort.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Flesh Eater Courts just got a new book, and all the model support it got was one new character model. I definitely think Free Guilds will get the same treatment, which is probably fine.

Old Empire models rule.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

I don't know if it is really a running joke, because they are extremely culturally similar to Bretonians.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Plavski posted:

Nice, they're beautiful models and the box is fantastic value. If you're interested in Gutrot, he's the main antagonist in Josh Reynold's Plague Garden too.

Everyone should read Plague Garden. Single handedly made me go from thinking Stormcast were stupid to liking them.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Mikey Purp posted:

I'm almost done with Sacrosanct, which was the first AoS book I've tried (I've read a bunch of Black Library stuff but all of it was HH or 40k) and the stories are kind of hit or miss as you might expect. The stormcast stuff is firmly meh but the vampire stories and the witch hunter stories have been dope.

Anyway, Sacrosanct is billed as a good entry point to the lore, and it is in the sense that all of the stories are set in different parts of the realms, but I was hoping to get a little more of the creation story and what the backstory is with Sigmar and Nagash apparently being bros a long time ago. Any recommendations for what I should read next to scrat that itch?

I just started reading Spear of Shadows and it has been really good so far. Has a nice POV character who is a regular human which is nice, so you get a feel for how crazy some of the stuff you are presented with is.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

I am really looking forward to Warcry, but I was surprised how easy it is to get an army to 1k points (a good level for play). One start collecting is a huge chunk of getting there in most cases.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

seigfox posted:

2000 points of Ironjawz painting begins with these ladz.

I've got a long, blindingly pink road ahead of me.

:perfect:

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

gilljoy posted:

I do like the idea of playing the fyreslayers but the list does seem very limited in options

This is a pretty key thing to why AoS is so good. You can't just plug every hole in your army, but there are generous allies rules that can help if you want to try. Fyreslayers do have a disappointing number of troops choices but it is better than watering down the fluff.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Mugaaz posted:

IDK man, if there isn't enough ideas to give them some troop choice, then maybe it isn't compelling enough to be an army imo. I don't know many people interested in painting the exact same thing and nothing else over and over. Wait a minute, that's everyone who plays Marines. Maybe I'm wrong

Yeah, that is pretty likely.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

The Stormcast range is pretty substantial, for sure. I am interested to see how substantial the next new army is going to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

The Deleter posted:

I have just spent the better part of an hour loving around with my storage trying to find a solution that doesn't result in snapped off banners, wings or weapons, and have been gluing snapped off banners, weapons and wings. They all look like poo poo now. I spent so much loving time and effort on these loving things and all they do is break. I hate it.

Magnetic bases my dude.