Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

So my friend is talking me into getting into this God drat stupid game

Are night goblins any good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Black_Nexus posted:

Wait like 6 months and there will likely be a totally new night gob book

I probably have a whole goblin army from when this was a better game my dude

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Does anyone know anything about this ghost army coming out? I realized painting 120 gobbos is why I stopped painting my dwarves in the first place

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Idk if someone answered but is there an ETA on the spoopy ghost book? I'm going down to the GW to try a demo game and I like the idea of spookin people

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

So what the heck does an AoS army even look like?

Gonna be making my first purchase to test out paint schemes on Saturday and idk what I should get (playing spoopy ghosts)

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

I think I found a paint scheme I like, i saw this but I have no idea what paints these are. Any ideas?

Edit: I figure the whispy stuff is that new tech paint and the skin (??) is the new hexflame thing, mostly looking at that dark rear end blue gray color for the hood

Business Gorillas fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jul 5, 2018

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Played my first game of AoS a couple days ago. I made a comment that the whole "piling in" concept seems like it would be a big pain in the dick when it comes to tournament play. Some guy not involved in the conversation shouted across the room that if I don't like it, I shouldn't play in tournaments.

Doesn't seem like good game design to have a core part of the game that breaks when the smallest amount of pressure is applied to it :shrug:

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

berzerkmonkey posted:

Technically, no GW game is good for, or even made for, a tournament environment. So, even though he was being a smartass, he's correct. Just play AoS or 40K for fun - tournaments are the bane of fun gaming anyway.

I mean that's fine, my first impression of AoS was that the game seems to have a veneer of "if you actually play the rules as written the game breaks immediately", which doesn't seem like decent game design

Edit: see: the goblin dude up top dealing 64 wounds per goblin connecting with a stick

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

berzerkmonkey posted:

Again, you're equating GW with decent game design! I'm not saying that GW's games aren't fun, but they are certainly not well written, and are ripe for exploitation (as with the goblin example.)

The good thing is that GW is seeing things like the goblin incident and making changes accordingly, so, maybe at some point in the future, AoS will be a solid game (or maybe not.)

(Please note that I am not trying to be a dick.)

I think it's pretty reasonable to expect decent game design considering the amount of buy in GW expects for its game.

Edit: like yeah the game is quick and can be "fun" (even though fun is totally subjective), but it's still a bad game

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

MonsterEnvy posted:

I would not call it a bad game anymore.

And whats your issue with piling in. It's pretty simple.

my original problem with it was that someone could make your life hell if they actually made you follow the rules (ie. measure out every model's 3 inch move)

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yeah but they can only go towards the closest model. (And around them.) Most of the time it's just going to be moving their back line units closer. Unless your opponent is a dick.

Cause remember you can pile in UP to 3 Inchs no need to do the whole thing.

See: all of my posts itt regarding this subject

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Black_Nexus posted:

Good god, trying to bring GW up on an antitrust lawsuit.

He is so very hosed.

Also isn't almost all of GW's plastics produced in Nottingham, I know the terrain isn't, because it has made in china written on it.

Last time GW went to court they found out they couldn't trademark space marines and have been renaming all of their poo poo ever since.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

So I ditched the spookies after seeing the base infantry are $4 per model and I picked up the beastclaw whatevers instead because fat mongols own

Is there any sort of strategy with them beyond "get the charge"?

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

The Deleter posted:

Not really. Stonehorns are more durable than Thundertusks in general, so if you want beatsticks stick with them. Don't forget to get a Butcher or two - there's no wizards in Beastclaws natively and Butchers have an insane spell that can poo poo mortal wounds onto a single unit. You'll also want them for access to endless spells.

i lose the access to beastclaw artifacts and the allegiance abilities if i get a butcher, correct?

edit: i also lose the ability for all of my stuff to be battleline if i'm looking at this warscroll builder correctly

Business Gorillas fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Aug 5, 2018

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

i'm the good guys in the setting that *checks notes* genocides everyone

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

MonsterEnvy posted:

Appearntly the other Stormcasts (who tend to be more heroic.) think they are assholes.

i'm the good guys in the setting that *checks notes* lets my buddies genocide everyone, but i think they're dicks

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

I think the AoS lore being bad is worth talking about considering the designers of the game actively encourage you to create your own stories in their world

If the lore sucks and has no good guys, how the hell are people supposed to relate to it and forge their narratives?

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Wizard posted:

Speaking of old factions did they ever explain why they took the Tomb Kings out behind the shed? I know they still have rules but I recently got back in and last time i was playing they were still a full faction

After they got told to gently caress off wrt trademarking "man in space armor", I imagine they figured that trying to trademark Ancient Egypt was a little too ambitious

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

What's the general read on the flesh eaters? Are they a good army?

Currently play beastclaw and I'm looking for something that can actually compete in the objective game. Was thinking about playing ghoul patrol since summoning + buffing gribblies + ambush shenanigans is what I wanna get out of my army

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Yeah my 1500pt list was something like

Ghoul king on zombie Dragon
Crypt ghast
20 ghouls
20 ghouls
10 ghouls
6 crypt horrors
Ghoul patrol

Use the majestic horror thing to poo poo out a pair of varghulfs and go from there

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

The Deleter posted:

The Lord-Castellant's warding lantern adds 1 to the save rolls of any unit he puts it on, and causes rolls that total 7 or more to heal a wound. It's really, really easy to combine this with the Staunch Defender command trait and Azyrite Halo and get 2+ rerolling saves that heal on 5s and deal mortal wounds on sixes. You stick that on a blob of Sequitors and you get a murderous brick wall that can only be removed with heavy amounts of rend or mortal wound cascades like Curse of Years or Foot of Gork. You then proceed to lose friends and alienate people.

The Lord-Relictor is just a real good prayer toolkit even at 100 points. Divine Light combos with his damage spell to screw with enemy accuracy, Bless Weapons makes any weapon generate an extra hit on a 6 which is good for large units of Sequitors, and Translocation can let you set up a unit again and gain the benefit of Shock and Awe. It's not as obviously good as the Castellant, but very very useful.

lol

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Badablack posted:

It’s about time all the other races got in on the gender equality. Even Stormcast took their sweet time at it, meanwhile you can assemble the undead models in whatever gender you like.

Currently writing my anti-SJW manifesto after measuring skeleton pelvis ratios if anyone wants to sign on

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

quick q: how does flesh eater healing work with ghoul patrol?

if i add 6 models to a 10-man unit, can i use the crypt ghast/varghulf ability to heal back those additional 6, or can i only heal ghouls if the unit goes below 10 models?

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

The Deleter posted:

Go make a thread for your bad game then.

Didn't you make this thread because you got tired of people making fun of AOS in the original one?

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Quick question regarding Flesh Eaters:

So when I cast Unholy Vitality and get it off, do I effectively have 3 saves on a unit? (armor + deathless + vitality), or does it just make the deathless save better?

i've been playing the latter but reading online it looks like the former is true. if the former is true, could someone link something about it explaining it? that seems a little bananas

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Looking forward to rping as a fighter bloodbound axemaster (tm) with my party oathsworn triumvirate (tm)

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I’m not really sure secret sabotage tracks, all the silly rules in the data sheets was stuff they’d have their Rogue Traders walking around asking people to do at the ‘for fun’ side events at Games Day and other events for both Fantasy and 40K. I think it was just a bad attempt at bringing that level of engagement to friendly games.

Reminder that IIRC Wulfrik had a rule to insult your opponent until they got visibly upset for rerolls

Edit: basically everything between the release of the end times to AOS 2 was a loving disaster and should be completely forgotten

Business Gorillas fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Jan 30, 2019

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Plavski posted:

Free Guild are supported and get new and improved rules in the Generals Handbook each year. They just aren't producing new models for them right now, but there could be loads in the future - we don't know. GW have a wide range of products - constantly adding new ones too - and so every faction can't get the miniature love it deserves. They keep on top of the rules though, and even made Bretonnia part of AoS again by canonically confirming they are have become flesh eater courts now. So a free guild army is viable, but holding out for new sculpts might leave you holding out for longer than you'd like. But absolutely nothing is stopping you from buying free guild and a pack of round bases and having at it.

just want to point out that this isn't really a consolation to the people that actually have bretonnian models

edit: also very minor nitpick but the whole FEC = Brets thing is dumb as hell because its all tongue and cheek with "oooo they're actually part of a looost civilization!!!", but lorewise it's been tens of thousands of years or whatever

the whole "deranged remnants of a lost civilization" is a cool idea, but doesn't many any sense in the realmgate lore or whatever they're trying to push with AOS

PS: i black out whenever i think about the end times but i'm pretty sure the brets got wiped out before the warhammer world exploded, so good luck having a forgotten civilization of people that canonically stopped existing before sigmar woke up from his coma floating through space, i guess

Business Gorillas fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Feb 24, 2019

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Wizard posted:

Are there any good Age of Sigmar battle reports channels?

there's one of them that does custom voices for his all troll army. i forget which one that is but i'd stay far away from that one

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Cooked Auto posted:

You jest but one of the more recent AoS books introduces a Stormcast named Settrus.

:cripes:

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

TKIY posted:

Plastic battle Barbie drama is loving ridiculous. What is it with nerds and high school level slap fights. It's plastic loving soldiers, Jesus.

that isn't what this sounds like at all, sounds like a buncha friends found a store that works for them, op

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

The Deleter posted:

The double turn is important but not as deciding as you think. Yeah, it's good to have that uninterrupted stretch of fighting, but you also need to consider certain abilities, your positioning, whether there's predatory Endless Spells around, and all sorts. The average joe playing Ironjawz will love a double turn. Someone fighting an Idoneth player might concede that first turn if the Idoneth player is on High Tide and will fight first anyway, so why not let them make a positioning mistake with those eels instead? Someone with a Purple Sun on the field will go second every time to make sure they can do donuts over the opposing army and get the mortal wounds in.

A smarter person will chime in with why it's not such a big deal at this point better than I can. I'm definitely going to try a Meeting Engagement as soon as I get the chance.

tbh this is a pretty good post in defense of the double turn, considering it says "it isn't a snap decision, you need to make complex tactical decisions". most posts in defense of the double turn just say this and don't actually explain what the tactical decisions are, but you've at least given an explanation of "hope your opponent who double turned you fucks up positioning and doesn't blow a big enough hole in your army that said fuckup doesn't matter".

it'd be one thing if there was a sizable disadvantage to taking a double turn, but the only downside is... you might get double turned yourself (which won't matter if you eat enough of your opponent's forces in your first double turn, i might add). don't forget that since you went first that round, you get to break ties on the roll!

Business Gorillas fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jun 19, 2019

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Desiden posted:

I'm guessing the +20 points to the terrorgeist ghoul king is not going to stop the grousing in my club about that unit. The +40 to the archregent might soothe some butthurt, though 480 for 2 is still pretty good.

Tbf the archregent being 200 points meant that if you took the 20 ghoul summon, you'd have him for free

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

food court bailiff posted:

Has anyone grabbed the Corvids for Warcry yet? If so, how do they play? And can anyone snap a pic of the paint guide (or link one online) for it? Thanks.

According to my friend who's v into warcry a lot of their mechanics involve being 3" off the ground but the terrain in the box is something like 2.75". Expect a faq!

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

can't think of any army based around skeleton cavalry and skeleton ranged units, specifically catapults

looking forward to this new faction i've never seen before

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

so reading the snippets of the lore, these are a cold, ruthlessly efficient undead force... except they all have personalities... and they're all made out of multiple souls

the lore is as schizophrenic as the models

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

RagnarokAngel posted:

The community guys likely aren't the same ones writing the lore.

when i die make sure my soul controls the hand of the dummy thicc skeleton man that gets to pet the skeleton bird

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Solemn Sloth posted:

Is there a good contrast paint for really pale flesh (thinking war boys in Mad Max style)?

I don't do contrast but for my pale flesh I do a bass of rakarth flesh and drybrush pallyd wych flesh or w/e on top.

Having spots of the rakarth show through gives it a really dirty and bottled look

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

JBP posted:

WFB is a boring fantasy world enriched by many years of compounding lore, faction development and humour. AoS will be the same. It's already come a long, long way from launch.

Not sure "just wait 20 years lol" is a good rebuttal to people saying your setting sucks, especially since what you're defending is a direct replacement of a world with 20 years of lore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Whenever people say something like "why are they still mad about squatting, the game is better now :smug:" im just gonna go back to the panic that went through this thread when we found out that square base Warhammer was coming back