Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
I'm digging out my old chaos warriors army because I was invited to try some smaller-scale stuff.

Now I have to ask, did the Sorceror Lord on a disc get squatted out of the game?

also empire greatcannons.

edit: oh god high elf spears

Der Waffle Mous fucked around with this message at 13:52 on May 1, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Mostly meant for matched play, sorry.

Like I get a lot of the stuff still has rules in the old compendiums but don't have things like points.

The Disc Lord jumps out as a really weird one because it was in the grand alliance book, then the faq mentioned the warscroll being replaced by a nonexistent entry in disciples of tzeentch.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Oh, sweet, thanks!

Also, yeah, the allegiance system is waaaaay more complicated than it seems at first glance.

Having your old armies split into 3-5 separate factions doesn't necessarily play well with the matched play ally caps if you want to play with any special allegiance abilities (grand alliances aside).

But then you have stuff like the city alliances which do a half decent job of bundling a lot of those together with other thematically appropriate factions while getting bespoke special rules.

And that's the easier to grasp part.

Looking at the chaos god factions and I *think* the way I'm reading it is you can make a perfectly legal <nouns> of <god> army with all the special rules and stuff without using any of the warscrolls in the book because of how keywords work? oh fuuuuu-

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

well, I guess tzeentch is my summer army project.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

berzerkmonkey posted:

Why have people been saying tabletop standard doesn't mean anything? Three colors has always been the de facto rule.

makes me think of the story someone on here told of one guy at a tournament that required that put all his minis in a line and did a single brushstroke across all of them in three colors as the TO watched.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

The burning chariot kit is already giving me choice paralysis.

Flamer chariot and foot herald or vice versa?

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

I'm pretty much starting from a core of what was a Warriors of Chaos army in 6-8th and branching into daemons via the start collecting box (and the blue/brimstone horrors box).

I have a decent amount of wizards but my read is I shouldn't really be counting on summoning outside of pink->blue->brimstone horror shenanigans?

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

"hey that one WFB character you liked who wasn't tapped by another allegiance probably has their own host of stormbois" is one way of getting you to care about stormcasts.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Had my first game, against someone else who was playing their second game.

My Tzeentch bois against their Khorne bois. I managed to come out ahead in the end.

Thoughts: Tzeentch summoning is really wonky, at least compared to the Khorne summoning. Chaff units require 10 points, and those come with a subsidy if I'm running Pink Horrors. My units can get about 3 points per turn, maybe 4 if I roll really well with the Herald, so maybe I can bring in something by turn 4 if none of my wizards die. Khorne meanwhile requires two units to die (in this case mostly my opponent's) and there's a new unit a bloodletters on the board and will work as long as he has a character.

The Fatemaster's 2+ save vs non-flying units didn't seem like much coming from 40k but then it kinda dawns on you that you're very rarely going to see save -2 or better save modifiers, compared to 40k where most special weapons are -3 or better.

Chaos Warriors are still pretty fun to use. Realizing after the fact that that taking taking two hand-weapons on one squad didn't mean I was actually getting two hand weapon profiles to use, but the rerolling 1's bonus.

Daemon shooting is no joke and, uh, burning chariots can really chew through a skull cannon.

System thoughts: Still not sold on the turn order determined via roll-off. My opponent liked the idea of going twice in a row leading to momentum shifts (like it did in our game) but also very cognizant of the fact that its as likely to just let a player who's dominating keep dominating.

Surprised at how much I didn't miss 40k's going first on a charge rule. Having to make hard choices of who to make attacks is actually kinda neat.

Shooting into (and out of?) combat is another of those things I'm not sure about. It didn't make any huge differences in the game, so it might just be me being groggy about it.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

The chance of a double activation being a bonus to going second is not an angle I thought of. huh.

Edit: also what is up with Kairic Acolytes? What you get in the kit really doesnt jive with the battlescroll, the main example being you can't not give a lot of models shields.

Der Waffle Mous fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Jun 17, 2019

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

I kinda get the impression that AoS doesn't have the 1st turn alpha strike problem 40k has, or at least not to the same extent.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Speaking of, how do people deal with Seraphon?

LGS started a Sigmar scene and there's at least two seraphon players who really seem to like the strategy of flooding the board with skinks from turn 1.

edit: also anyone with some thoughts on my Acolyte problem.

Der Waffle Mous fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jun 17, 2019

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

someone sold me the sigmarine half of the Soul Wars set.

the unit sizes are... weird.

Like the Sequitors only coming in a unit of 8 is one thing, but getting 5 models of the unit that comes in 3s, and 3 models of the unit that comes in 5s is something else.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Tempest of Souls really seems like the "buy this to make your poo poo matched play legal" option.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Spent a lot of the week trying to figure out how to deal with an endless skink summoning seraphon army and I guess the secret turns out to be sniping the astrology bearer with bolt of tzeentch in the first turn.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

gw give me back my great cannons and mortars, plz

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

y'know I kinda getting used to the expectation that GW was only doing bespoke individual character models going forward and I'm actually kinda surprised the Evocators box gives the express option of building one as a Knight-Incantor.

still makes the 5-model matched play unit kinda weird.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

slaanesh didn't get any new mortal models so tzeentch mortals get to be fabulous.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

What is up with Malign Sorcery's weird box with the carrying handle and big ziplock bag?

I don't think I've ever seen any other GW products come like this.

edit: I was not expecting some of these to be this big.

Der Waffle Mous fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jul 18, 2019

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

oh gently caress yes

I picked a good time to get back in with my collection of old WFB models.

Der Waffle Mous fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Jul 20, 2019

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Clawtopsy posted:

Is a Chaos Knight heavy army viable?

depends on what you mean by knight-heavy.

Chaos Knights proper are battleline in Slaves to Darkness armies, so you can go pure cav in that case.

They're available as a regular unit in Everchosen, who have their own expensive Chaos Knight+ models that are battleline.

Since you can mark them, they can be taken in any of the big four armies as non-battleline unit, which comes with its own considerations. (IE: Khorne has better units for the same job, Tzeentch rules don't particularly benefit them, while Slaanesh seems to have been written with using StD units in mind).

in all cases they're considered a little overcosted for what they do but are pretty solid otherwise.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

having one of those moments where I'm trying to decide between weapon loadouts and I my usual method of just magnetizing the option doesn't quite work because the two units have very different base sizes.

in the meantime, though, birbs.

edit: whoever designed the aetherwing models can go to hell.

Der Waffle Mous fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jul 26, 2019

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

I love those lovely little kremzeeks.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Don't really know nurgle, but khorne likes fighting MSU so you seem okay at a glance.

maybe the witherstave to cut down on his stuff that procs on a to hit of 6.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

I had a mini-tournament on the weekend.

One was the same battleplan as the above, but I was playing Seraphon so it didn't actually stop anything other than getting my KoS sniped by chameleon skinks on turn instead of 1.

Second was the Relocation orb which, as indicated, has a single objective jump randomly around the board every turn, plus grants bonus points for being the *second* player to hold the objective so maybe you don't want that double turn.

I'm enjoying the AoS mission design.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

keeping in mind also that handgunners got two stand-and-shoot abilities. one from the unit musician and then another from the detachment rules.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Phoenix Guard making it but not Lions is one of those real "but for the grace of god" things since I'm pretty sure both kits came out in the same release.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Just kinda noting, because I remember this being one of the older complaints about AOS, that they seem to have gotten rid of some units having a bespoke shield that grants a bonus to armor saves and just baking it into the profile.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

I have a whole lot of really old, mostly unpainted high elves that I'm probably going to make leafy green.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

I fukken love WFRP because it was about low(ish) stakes small stories, but the WFB setting on a large scale was always hamstrung by GW's insistence on the status quo being "the end times are just about to happen."

and the the end times happened.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Hallowheart looks entertaining due to the stormkeeps rule you can toss in a Lord Arcanum on the big mount with the whitefire tome and have them be king poo poo of magifuck mountain.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Gloomspite's kinda the exception since I think that's one of the only books that has its spell lore limited to WIZARD HERO units only. They can still cast endless spells and spells of the realms, though.

Otherwise I can think of SCE Evocators, who are fully fledged wizards but only have the one spell on their warscroll, plus a choice of spell from their own mini-lore.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

I've yet to figure out how to crack Idoneth.

Granted last time I played I thought I might've been able to finally get them on their back foot but then I rolled 3's for about four charges in a row, plus a reroll.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

LazyAngel posted:

Probably far from optimal, but might be funny to play.

tbh this is the main draw of Cities for me.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

The Deleter posted:

As an Idoneth player, all of the Idoneth's real power is either in the Allegiance abilities or the eels. The eels are just Good on their own, which is why they're taken as battleline. Thralls hit hard but fold like paper (as per elves) and Reavers are terrible. This basically means playing around Forgotten Nightmares (forced to shoot the closest Idoneth unit) and knowing what Tide effects are happening. In particular, prepare for early charges, and make sure to deny as much of High Tide as possible by falling back out of combat and lighting them up with ranged.

Breathe a sigh of relief if you see Reavers, Allopexes or a turtle. They're the bad units.

Yeah its dealing with the eels that's been a problem of mine. Mind, the LGS starting us off with 1k/1250pt games might be skewing things a bit in ways I wouldn't necessarily be seeing in bigger games.

The one game I won was an absolute squeaker as SCE due to my opponent making a mistake and letting me turtle around the main objective in cover with 2+ save Sequitors and even then I finished the game with like 2 evocators, a sequitor and a character on the board.

The last one with Slaanesh was downright demoralizing because I had my entire (remaining) army ready to do a 4-5 inch charges into his eels on turn 2 and then rolled nothing but 3's.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

ordered one of the big bird phoenixes and I've got weird feelings about them including square bases in the (white, direct order) box.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

JBP posted:

I've got 1000pts of Idoneth Deepkin finally getting paint on them. Just wondering what's a good way to expand to 2k. I have nothing but eels, eel king and some sharks.

I'll definitely get a turtle because it's cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AckvdGbk4w

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Cities of Sigmar turned from a thing where I had an excuse to bring out my old collection to a thing where now I need a celestial hurricanum a black dragon 3 hydras and about 150 25mm round bases.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

I had two matches today as Hallowheart and oh boy am I a big believer now in Hallowheart.

I think my battle wizard general had a kill tally today of like 50+ models through clever use of the Umbral Spellportal and Elemental Cyclone.

Also: Phoenix Guard are *incredibly* good for holding a line and took like five casualties from like ~50 wounds after someone tried a ripperdactyl sucker punch.

Der Waffle Mous fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Oct 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Just 2 basic battle wizards today, no battalion, but also that's because my LGS is only running 1250pt games and I needed to try out my frostheart phoenix. 20 phoenix guard retinue , 2x 10 handgunners, Portal, lifeswarm, purple sun, shackles.

Hysh general with the whitefire tome, and an Aqshy adjundant. Never actually used their warscroll spells though.

The general had a retinue of Phoenix Guard to take wounds. It worked well with arcane channeling (or at least as per my reading of the rules), too but I feel like the interaction between the retinue rolls and their FnP might need to be clarified.

Like straight up going to say that my actual showing wasn't great; a minor victory (tie broken by my kills) and a loss because I just did not have remotely the board control needed to deal with two summoning heavy armies.

But uh. FIrst game. Beasts of Chaos had a a battalion and thus the first turn plus ambush. General barely survived an attempt by an ambushing beastlord due to the retinue rules and was immediately mobbed to death by phoenix guard. Tried to channel with the adjundant and rolled a 6 so he just went poof. Regardless being beastmen they were right up in my face turn 1 and the 30-gor unit suddenly became a 12 or so gor unit who were then wiped by the PGs. Frostheart dunked on a Cygor and a pair of bestigor units.

Later in the game there was another attempt at my general using devolve (and I forgot Hallowheart's ability to ignore in a 5+). Managed to move him to the point where he was just within 3 inches of my phoenix guard and ended up in a situation where a unit of 37ish ungors trying to walk the line of being close enough to attack my wizard without being within 3 of the PG. Did a single wound which was passed to the retinue. Elemental Cyclone time again on my turn with a good 22? mortal wounds done on the unit. PG then caught up and wiped them.

Tied on objectives, kills gave me the minor since I killed everything but his two shamans and the rest of the stuff he had on the board was summons vs. a 100pt unit of handgunners and the adjundant I managed to yeet into the afterlife.

Second game, seraphon, likewise he had the first turn due to a battalion. Teleported a 30 skink unit plus an astrolith bearer to the primary objective, and had some rule where he could drop 6 ripperdactyls and a frog 3 inches from my line. As said, PG got focus fired and took like 5 casualties total.

This is where hallowheart magic bullshit really came into play. Channeled with the general, rolled 3 wounds, 2 suffered, 1 on the PG. Casting rolls were high enough his slann couldn't do poo poo about it. Umbral Spellportal opened up behind the skink blob. all but like two models were in range of the Cyclone and it was immediately cut down to about 12ish skinks. Other wizard brought up the lifeswarm and brought back the 5 PG. Dactyls died, more skinks died. Frostheart made a run at the astrolith bearer but he lived and got teleported out next turn.

Being Seraphon, opponent brought in 3 units of 10 skinks and piled them on the new primary objective. Roaming wildfire on the center unit, and then did the extra MWs to both the other skink units and killed the astrolith bearer. I try charging but the skinks keep doing the skinky thing of retreating on their activation. Kinda lost this one because it was just an endless parade of skink summons piling on objectives vs. my slowly dwindling units. My frostheart could've ended it if he hadn't failed two very short charges in a row on his slann.

That was a wierd one because I basically killed his army almost twice over and never actually lost a unit. I just could not compete with the board control.

But yeah, hallowheart magic is good. Next time I'll probably drop the skull and shackles for more bodies.