Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Skragrott's master plan being "The Bad Moon makes people crazy, abduct all the crazy people and smack them with my magic stick, group now half-mushroom crazy people together and let them predict the Bad Moon" is pretty rad. And, honestly, in the AoS universal probably not the worst fate for people driven mad by the Bad Moon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
In retrospect, how the gently caress did Sigmar think anything but this would happen?

"Won't this piss off Nagash, the guy you promised all souls to?"
"It's fine, I'll have my army of soul warriors to defend me. What could possibly go wrong?"
*The greatest necromancer that ever was starts shoving multiple souls into super soldiers to absolutely loving body all of existence*
"Well poo poo."

e: Like you have handed him the game-plan to success, maybe your army should have been based on literally anything but necromancy.

Mulva fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Aug 29, 2019

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's not stupid, it's a different setting with a different history. Half these cities aren't in the same realm of existence as the other half, why the gently caress would you expect them to act like 16th century Europeans? Shits different, embrace the hilarity. So your foot general doesn't have a banner. Give him regen, a spell, and a Branchwraith friend summoning infinite Dryads to body block for him, and also generate CP because why not?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

1994 Toyota Celica posted:

is there a leak of the Cities of Sigmar rules anywhere yet?

Just watch the GMG read through, you can literally see every single page of the book.

moths posted:

No, it's dumb AF.

Sigmar was never anything but the patron god of the Empire, and should have been snuffed out of existence alongside it. Khaine and the DE pantheon are evil as gently caress, but technically not Chaos. They... aren't friends.

If you want to have a new setting with a new background then do it. But make it a clean break and stress that it's not a continuation of an incompatible continuity.

No. Also this is the same "It wasn't like this in the old edition" argument. Yeah, but this isn't that. This is the setting where loving Nagash was on team good guy for a bit. Everyone worked together for a really, really long time in this universe before it started to go to poo poo, mostly because they had to. And it's a setting where all the living peoples of the world where in one realm being protected before Sigmar and co went forth and started making new cities. And when they did they made cities of everyone. There are no more dark elves. That poo poo doesn't exist in the Mortal Realms. Khaine isn't followed by dark elves. Khaine is dead, and "followed" by the Daughters of Khaine, who ARE their own thing and not part of the Cities.

Stop pretending that Fantasy matters anymore. It's been half a decade, and they will use what parts of it they still find interesting and poo poo on the rest. And you know that.

Mulva fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Sep 29, 2019

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

1994 Toyota Celica posted:

i dunno, does Ash still game with dudes in Pinochet t-shirts

I mean he pulled those videos when it was pointed out to him and issued a statement saying he wasn't about all that, which is I guess the most you can expect from any person.

moths posted:

Like, if the Old World is nothing but an IP farm, why was there a new AoS branded Gotrek Gurnisson last week?

Because they like him.

Revelation 2-13 posted:

It also doesn't matter if they renamed the evil elves who loves executing and sacrificing people to 'euval aeoleves' who loves sacrificing and executing people. It's still moronic that they're battling alongside, working and living with the proud 'heruic nable knoigts' on griffons. I mean, it's usually easier to overlook aos's garbled nonsense setting, but the mechanics for this book is particularly bad for that.

They aren't any of those things. There are just 'aelves', period. All of them are just that, no dark elves or high elves or any of that poo poo. And there aren't heroic knights on griffons. There are bastards with less pointy ears on griffins. I mean it's literally a garbled nonsense setting, in that all the parts that survived the end of the world are building something new out of the patchwork that came before. And you can absolutely go "Well I don't like it!" but.....it still is what it is. It makes perfect sense, it's internally consistent. You just don't like it. Don't knock it for being something it never tried to be.

Mulva fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Sep 29, 2019

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Smoosh your dolls together.

Make them kiss

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Revelation 2-13 posted:

I mean, I get that the world is constantly ending and they have to fight together, but that’s what allies are for and it’s still just such lazy writing and unimaginative to boot.

As opposed to the height of creativity that was "It's 16th century Europe, but we have the most stock fantasy races possible to boot"?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
I mean if you need cheap dudes it's basically always swords or spears. Swords if you want them to stay alive a bit longer to body block, spears if you want to pile more dice in before they die. Halberds are weird in that basically anything you can use them on you'd probably rather have spears to throw even more dice at it or use a better unit. The best overall option independent of what city you choose or what support options you have is probably spears, simply because you can throw them behind other units doing work if the spears have nothing better to do. Dice for the dice god, spikes for the spike throne.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
His Patreon has already dropped to under half what it was before this poo poo broke, so, yeah. One of two things is absolutely going to happen: He'll spite close it, or he'll sell it.

It's just that, knowing him, odds are on spite.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
You can do some cheeky things here or there, but yeah. Take a Freeguild General, 100 points, so you have 10 destiny to spend. 4 for human, 2 for the save. For weapon, the actual Greatsword is 2 damage instead of D3. You could build the exact weapon off a Mage's Staff base, but that's getting a bit in the weeds. So 2 destiny for the Greatsword, and 2 more to get it's rend to -2. Snag Commander for archetype, and now? We are now at the 10 destiny/100 points for the General, and what we have is nominally more consistent damage and a less powerful command ability. Except we aren't done, because we need to spend 4 destiny for Decapitating Strike and 1 for Inspiring. And to be exact, we need 1 more for Battle Standard Bearer. That's 60 more points for something for something that isn't better [Your command ability doesn't add to wounds at all, but it doesn't require you to have not moved. Your leadership bubble doesn't add to leadership, it shares yours. This is a net gain for 5 leadership units I suppose.].

Conversely though lets look at a Battlemage for 90, so 9 destiny. 4 for human and you are already better off. Better save and leadership. 1 for a Mage's Staff with more attacks than a Wizard's Staff, so you are ahead again. WIZARD is free, grab some generic spell [Raise Dead is cute though]. You are now done making the exact unit, and still have 4 points to spend. Throw 3 at plus one to cast and unbind, and 1 at....lets say wounds? Or Inspiring? You are now better in most ways than the default Battlemage for exactly the same price, depending how you feel about the Battlemage spell you would have taken [And if you are Cities that narrows you down to two anyway].

Does that break the game over it's knee? No. But there's ways to make your own flavor of unit that are actually useful. Or just different. For instance ranged weapons. Why not give that WIZARD a bow? For things like LoN, any shooting is better than no shooting. Sure you lose out on Deathly Invocation, and boy howdy is that not nothing, but you throw out a solid amount of damage in a phase your army is traditionally not very good at. Hell, make a Skeleton Priest with a gun, that's fun. If you want to get silly with it you could spend 220 points on a 5 attack, 2s to hit and wound, -3 rend, 5 damage a shot 18 inch ranged weapon. I don't know why you ever would, but hey. Go for it. It's certainly comparable in damage to a Steam Tank, so it's not like you aren't getting what you paid for. God forbid your army have buffs or relics that make that even more deadly somehow.

Is there anything, at all, that will upend the game in there though? No, not even a little.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Arkhan the Black is the hardest working man in any version of Warhammer.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

The Deleter posted:

Arkhan's got his own deals going on

To be fair Arkhan the Black is his own person, but he's been nothing but dedicated to Nagash for two entire realities at this point. His independence is more of the "Sure would suck if Chaos unmade reality again, how can I get my boss to play well with others long enough to help?" sort rather than desire to be free from Nagash. It's one of the only saving graces Nagash has had, loyalty to Arkhan and Arkhan's loyalty in return. Even his psychotic narcissism recognizes someone he can trust.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
They can afford to drop the price, because anyone that uses Zombies or Skeletons has a lot of spending to do.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
I will always respect GW for having Teclis' master plan forged over the centuries, his ultimate strategy to beat Nagash, end up being this: Have the human side overwhelm him with magical power, then have the elf side beat the poo poo out of him with hammers. There is literally zero chance Nagash or anyone else would have ever guessed that. It was truly the perfect plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Universal traits let me make a big stupid custom Hero for funzies, which is nice. I mean who really cares if someone makes a flying Priest-Wizard? It's not going to break the game, but it's a laugh.