Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

On my way to my LGS's final hurrah for this edition of AoS.

It's a 1000pt FFA. I'm bringing clan Skryre flamethrower dot list.

Arch Warlock
Warlock Engineer
3x Stormfiends (warpfire on all)
3x Stormfiends (warpfire on all)
Warpfire thrower weapon team
Warpfire thrower weapon team

It should be interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

That scythe is wicked cool. Nighthaunts wins the cool factor on the signature spells.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I hope Nagash's battletome is a good sign as a precedent for a skaven battletome.

A general skaven alliance, then alliances for each clan.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Really glad they're giving stormcasts the equivalent of chapter tactics when many factions still haven't gotten battletomes or even an allegiance.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

I think a Skaven book is coming soon.

That's a funny way of spelling Stormcast.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

So I got the new Sacrosanct Stormcast, but I hate the heads.

Anyone know a good source of knight-looking heads? I've tried searching for historicals, thinking it's the best option. But all I've found is Mirliton Miniatures and they're old school in the fact that they only have drawings of the helms instead of pictures.

I'd like something that doesn't break the bank, as I have ~50 of the bastards to re-helm.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

There's some other woops as far as Soul Wars too. Namely with coming with not enough or too much of certain things for unit sizes. I think everything but the heroes and ballista are that way for the Stormcast.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

/\ I agree, that's why I finally got some. I like the warrior-monk-crusader vibe. /\

GreenMarine posted:

I wish they wouldn't split pauldrons down the middle.

No kidding. I just assembled two boxes worth of them and I'm close to losing my mind.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

So with the app update I lost access to the Clan Skryre Battalion I had previously purchased. Pretty friggin annoyed that something I spent money on is inaccessible.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

GreenMarine posted:

This weirdness continues with there being 3 evocators in the new box, but the unit size is 5 and the new evocators box comes with 5. So is there any way outside of a partial box to get those 3 up to a unit?

Every Stormcast unit in the Soul Wars box except for heroes and the ballista has the wrong number of models for the min unit size. It's kind of frustrating.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Yeah "decent enough".

It looks stellar.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Shame that for the Sequitors the sword beats out the mace for damage output, especially considering the ease of getting wound rerolls. The mace looks way cooler.

Which means I'm sticking with the mace because rule-of-cool

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Sheet of printer paper and 2 light sources, diffused with paper if needed.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

I am hyped for new goblins

Goblins aren't Stormcast, so it wouldn't surprise me if they don't get new models and it's just a battletome.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Ripperdactyls are obscenely expensive to buy as a kit.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

As someone that hasn't even touched a DoK model it seems Morathi is way too many points for what she does.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

So I have a bunch of Sancrosanct Stormcast to paint and I'm debating on a scheme.

One I've kind of thought about is "Stonecast". I was thinking of making all the non-hero units painted like stone statues with blue glow coming from their eyes and/or weapons. Heroes would probably be painted with either black or steel colored armor.

Main reason I'm thinking about this is that I want to get it painted but have so much on my painting backlog I'd like something quick.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I'm nervous about the new gobbos.

Because they'll probably look awesome and I'll spend too much money.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I'm still waiting for the teased Goblin sky pirates.

Also some much needed love for my Clan Skryre.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Squigs will make me lose a ton of money. I was already debating on doing a gimmicky all-squig army.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

These things look so unbalanced, but hilarious. I might have to get a set just because they're dice squigs.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

"Loonboss on Mangler Squigs"

gently caress me, I'm going to spend way too much money.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

This looks awesome, and doesn't help my indecision.

I have a ton of sacrosanct stormcast and have been debating between a "stonecast" scheme (for ease and speed of painting) or black armor/red robes because it looks friggin sweet.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

iirc Sylvaneth got their tome before General's Handbook.

Their rules feel a bit aged too. Stuff like their terrain is a brick of 3 of the Citadel Wood terrain pieces.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I finally have an excuse to paint my Thanquol and Boneripper.

I run a pure Skryre force and got the model on impulse before realizing I couldn't use him and keep the Skryre allegiance (pre GH18). Then after GH18 my list was too tight to slam a 400 pt monstrosity into.

I know my Gautfyre Skorch battalion is probably going to go away, but I'm okay with that. It basically breaks the game.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I just realized something that makes me nervous.

Warlock Engineers, Mortar teams, and Warpfire teams aren't in the GW store, which means the chances of them making it in the Skaven Battletome is pretty slim. Then the rest of the weapon teams are ancient metal or finecast sculpts, same as the acolytes. There's precedent for GW axing those old sculpts when a codex/battletome drops.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I'd love plastic Acolytes. I run a pure Skryre Skaven and I have some Acolytes I kitbashed from Mantic rats because gently caress paying $10 /model for low points chaff.

Now that a GW store has opened locally I can't run my Skaven list in the store because of the whole no 3rd party miniatures rule.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Warscrolls for Skaven and FeC are updated on the app.

Looks like Skryre got kneecapped, Clanrats and Stormvermin are more tarpits, and plague monks are the damage dealers. Other stuff just got shuffled it seems. Though Verminlords got buffed quite a bit though.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

For_Great_Justice posted:

They could just make a Bret realm an have it be a thing, nothing is holding them back.

Except that we'll probably never get another non-chaos human model line that isn't Sigmarines again.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

So after playing a few games with the new Skaven Battletome this weekend I feel like I can give a better opinion on it (from a Clan Skryre position).

+The +1 damage Warpstone spark ability is bonkers with stuff like Ratling Guns or Jezzails
+Gnawholes help overcome some of the range nerfs and keeps your opponent on their toes since you can basically teleport at will
+Spell lores are good. More Warp Power is fantastic, Chain lightning is good to throw on a Warlock Engineer, Warp lightning shield is pretty bad. 2 out of 3 is pretty good.
+Doomwheels are now drat good, especially if you have a Vial of the Fulminator (double move)

-Range nerfs everywhere. Lots of stuff is now 12" or 13" instead of the 18" it was before (probably because gnawholes are a thing now)
-Overcharging was always a risk/reward thing, but now it feels more risky then it's worth.
-Warpfire is pretty much worthless now
-Poison wind mortars are impossible to take in a Skaven Allegiance army. This is because Skaven stuff now works off the "Skaventide" keyword instead of the old "Skaven" keyword. Its old form has even been removed from the app entirely.
-List building is now completely buggered and is worse than it was before.

The balance changes I'm really neither here-nor-there about. The penduluum swings and I mostly chose Clan Skryre because I like the aesthetic of crazy tech rats. In fact I like it better now because I can include Doomwheels and other stuff that's not warpfire and not feel like I'm gimping myself.

The listbuilding changes are annoying as hell. You can only get a Clan's units as a battleline if your whole force is that Clan and the leader is Masterclan or that Clan. It goes against the old way you could do things with the allies system and the fluff that they have in this battletome. Skaven Clans are supposed to buy and sell weapons to other clans but now the only way to include them is to take 3x units of Clanrats or Stormvermin. Grey Seers are also supposed to be sneaky Varys/Littlefinger types that don't lead armies but instead make others think they're in power, but the only way to include them is to have them lead the army. It's just kind of frustrating.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Dragonshirt posted:

How should I kit out my Stormfiends from the CE box?

I've been doing ratling guns, wind launchers, and doomflayer gauntlets and have had good luck so far. Big thing for doomflayers is they hit on 2+ after charging and are rend -2.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well it no longer deletes characters. It now does a mortal wounds for each model in the target unit on a 4+

I think the Thrower can upboost it for rolling twice for each model in target unit.

It's one dice for each model in the unit within 8" of the warpfire thrower.

It's crazy bad now. It's way too hard to get enough models within 8" to make a meaningful attack.

Ratling guns can throw out more wounds at 12" (especially if you use the +1 damage warpstone spark ability) and if you're within 8" a Doomflayer can throw out 2D6 attacks hitting on 2+ and wounding on 3+ instead of hoping for a substantial amount of enemy models within 8".

Remember, that if you're moving the warpfire thrower you can't get within 3" of an enemy model before shooting, and it will not survive a round of combat with anything if you want point-blank shots. It's only 3 wounds with a 6+ save.

I feel like giving it something like "Roll 6 dice, each roll of 4+ is a mortal wound, overcharge for 12 dice" or something would have been a better choice.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Goblin Green bases

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Most of the faction scenery can kind of make sense why it's showing up on a battlefield. The Khorne one pops up from the ground because of Blood God voodoo, Herdstone gets hauled by big beasts, Gnawholes are from Skaven tunneling up, etc...

What's the forge's thing, Dwarves just haul it around in case they get into a fight?

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Lord_Hambrose posted:

This is a pretty key thing to why AoS is so good. You can't just plug every hole in your army, but there are generous allies rules that can help if you want to try. Fyreslayers do have a disappointing number of troops choices but it is better than watering down the fluff.

Unless you play Stormcast, then you have something for every role.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I'd honestly be surprised if we get a "normal human" Order faction.

Though new Free Peoples with sigmar iconography and whatnot would be baller.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Der Shovel posted:

So here's a question. I bought a Start Collecting Clan Pestilens box today, because I already have a ton of Skaven and wanted a Screaming Bell and that was the only way to get one. But it's cool, I love Clan Pestilens and more Plague Monks is always fun.

I was looking up the rules for the Warp Lightning Cannon, and either I'm too tired to be comprehending anything or they seem kinda counter-intuitive.

So. First I'm rolling for the power of the attack, and intuitively you'd expect that higher = better than because that's how it works EVERYWHERE: the more powerful an attack, the better. But then I roll 6 more dice and score a Mortal Wound for every roll that is equal to or higher than the power, which means I'd want the power of the attack to be as low as possible so beating or equaling it becomes as easy as possible.

I mean, from a gameplay perspective that is clear enough, but logically it seems rear end-backwards to me.

Warp lightning cannon is hilarious now with the overcharge. Someone's getting hurt badly, it's either going to be the target or the cannon itself.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Clawtopsy posted:

Do endless spells see much use? It seems odd to pay points for something your opponent can steal from you (Which is my understanding)

The ones that can't get hijacked, or if they do don't hurt you (most faction specific ones) do.

Which brings my annoyance with the endless prayers/invocations. The opponent doesn't have an option to unbind them either on "cast" or in subsequent phases and has no option to control the predatory variants. They're just strictly better than the spells.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I wonder how many of the preorders are people who are just planning on parting it out on Ebay for a profit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Maybe they'll do another print run due to demand?