Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Is Warcry discussed in this thread? The game seemed pretty hyped on release as a quick and good skirmish game. Initial box seemed to be very samey, at least from the reviews at the time, has GW actually supported the game since?
I am not a fan of AoS, I miss bricks of troops that made Fantasy so different from 40k, but this game looks like it had promise and pretty cheap to get into

Did the normal GW thing of expansions breaking everything happen or is it still balanced?

Thank you

I also have Warcry questions. I have heard from a couple people that it is a very good/interesting game. Is anything known about using AoS factions in Warcry? I dig the classic 'chaos warrior' look, which they've just released new models for, over any of the cultist type warbands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

You can buy card packs that let you play AoS factions in Warcry. Slaves to Darkness just went up for pre order today.

That's a good start! Is there a Warcry rulebook that can be bought separately? Do you need to buy the starter set? Are there any game-specific accessories you need? I know they have special dice for example. Thanks for the help.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Deified Data posted:

Painted up some of the new Chaos Knights

These look metal as gently caress, great job!

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Some friends have got into AoS and convinced me to join in, so I've been assembling a Slaves to Darkness start collecting box this weekend.

I can't remember when I was last so impressed with models. These Chaos Warriors and Knights are push-fit mono-pose models but insanely complex and detailed. Utterly amazing sculpts. I would be super happy if they follow these up with fully multipart kits with extra options. I'd love to have the same quality designs with more spare heads, swords/axes for the knights and halberds for the warriors, that sort of thing.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

a pale ghost posted:

I really dig chaos warriors, are they any good?

I hope so, I've just got some! Really hoping they make full on posable kits approaching the same standard as the start collecting box monopose knights and warriors. Some new marauders wouldn't go amiss either.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

falling in love with those stupid, sexy Slaves to Darkness. How many duders do you need for an army? Is the Start Collecting box alright?

I know f-all about the game, tried my first game last night, both my opponent and I were the worse for drink and we probably got a lot of stuff wrong. But I did get into it by buying that SC box, and it's fantastic. The models are astounding. I had to add a Chaos Lord, Chaos Sorcerer Lord and some Minotaurs/Doombull to get to 1000 points, so I guess the box is only about 500 points? Everything seemed pretty legit in the game though, all the chaos warriors/knights seemed very tough.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
I had my second game of AOS last night! 1500 pts this time, my Slaves to Darkness (these guys need a better name & acronym) vs his Khorne Daemons. We played a game with objectives in a cross shape, and I won handily. This was partly due to how the units crashed together/luck, partly due to the excellence of my command ability to bring on small units of Marauder Horsemen from the board edges, when used to claim objectives, but also due to a double turn from the bottom of the second to top of the third Round.

Highlights:
- I ran my Mutalith Vortex Beast forward to an objective, only for 6 bloodletters on juggernauts (bloodcrushers?) to charge forward and wipe it out in one round, they didn't even need to use his command ability to fight twice. Thought it would be tougher!
- Buffed up my Chaos Knights with command ability and a spell and counter-charged the juggernauts, seizing the objective for the end of the Round. They did eventually get worn down once his hero joined in; lances are much better on the charge but the unit isn't so punchy the rest of the time.
- Rather than support them, my Chaos Lord on Krakadrak chewed through 10 Bloodletters, then charged and killed Skulltaker, then started in on the next 10 Bloodletters, regenerating his only wounds taken as he went. Despite me forgetting throughout he could re-roll to wound from his general's ability.
- On the other flank, my 20 Marauders charged Round 1 at his Flesh Hounds, Karanak, and got wiped out over 2 rounds by those and more Bloodletters - just as planned! That allowed my Chaos Lord, Doombull and Minotaurs to charge in and wreck face.

Thoughts on AOS in general:

Positioning seems super important and I'm not sure we are using the complexities of pile-in moves that well. If you can't come within 3" of enemies during movement, it is super easy to block off sectors of the board. We find it rare to get more than 1 rank fighting in combat as well.

Double Turns are dumb as gently caress. There's just no reason not to stick to alternating turns like every other IGOUGO wargame.

Charging en masse is dangerous and not nearly as favourable to the aggressor as 40k. If you charge scary enemies, your opponent will definitely get his lick in first with some of them.

There aren't many Command Points around? Seems like I can do 1 thing a round which isn't usually that engaging. Apparently some armies can generate a ton more? My mate described playing against Stormcast Eternals who were swimming in them, but I don't know if he's exaggerating or that other player was pulling the wool.

So I am very happy with my army but I am looking forward to a new edition to learn with, some things seem a bit weird to me.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

RagnarokAngel posted:

Due to melee combat being a bigger part of the game (because of generally less shooting) the melee phase takes a much larger role. Some stuff to look out for:
1.good choke points can be vital, as it can keep your opponent from piling in too much. Just be careful you dont do the same to yourself.
2.On a 32 mm base thats usually going to be one rank. 28 mm you can usually get 2 ranks in.
3. You don't need to go base to base and that's important. Its tempting to shove all your stuff in but as long as you're within 1" you dont need to move in and sometimes its advantageous to leave yourself some room to maneuver, like if you need to swing around a model. Don't make base to base contact until you feel comfortable standing your ground.
I'm not going to justify it, because theres a lot of reasons to hate it. However since you play S2D, remember Archaon has a power to really gently caress with the flow of things.
Yeah, the not neccesarily going first when you charge adds a layer of strategy when its not wise to charge. Its a part I like.
I'd say he's exxagerating. There are armies that can generate a lot of CP, but stormcast aren't one of em. Many armies have powers and relics to generate bonus cp, but you're rarely holding onto more than a handful each turn. Gloomspite Gitz can generate them in large numbers thoufg. Its fine, they tend to be more game changing than 40ks stratagems so while it might seem to be fewer they go a lot further.

Dont forget you can get a bonus cp for using a battalion and also buy one for 50 points. I consider that a steal and try and do it on most of my lists. CP is supposedly getting an overhaul in the new edition, we'll see soon enough.

Thank you for all the advice - very interesting!

Ref base sizes, is there some kind of resource for what should have what size base? Some discussion was had last night on whether my marauder proxies (a load of Warcry models) were gaining any advantage from many being on smaller bases - that's probably right, and also their varying base sizes in the unit are annoying me, so I might change them.

Ref Archaon, that is good to know, but TBH I don't love him as a special character, I find the model insanely busy and over-the-top, and in any game I just don't love taking a huge dominant centrepiece model which my whole army revolves around.

One more question about how the AOS rules work - my friend was adamant that unlike in 40k, weapon damage 'rolls over' onto multiple models. So if I strike a unit of 1W models with a D3 weapon, and they fail the save, it kills 3 models. Can that be right? Seems bizarre to me.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Thank you all for the answers on damage and base sizes.

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Marauders are on the smallest base size already so no worries there.

Surprisingly small bases! Which is just what you want for a horde unit I guess.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Explicitly not

Dear god, really?

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
I have bought a box of Underworlds Chaos Warrior type models, 'Khagra's Ravagers' to use as extra Slaves to Darkness models. Are the Exalted Champion heroes any good? They seem like their only purpose is to fight in melee, with a slight bonus against enemy heroes/monsters, but they don't seem to do reliable damage. OTOH more heroes do extend your aura for other chaos-marked units.

Also, is their any consensus around the best Chaos Mark for StD? I started out looking at Undivided, but the aura effect seems mediocre except for the general's version. Tzeentch looks better for most heroes' effect, but the general bonus seems lackluster!

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Geisladisk posted:

Exalted Champions are pretty meh, their only use is be a cheap warm body to project a mark aura. I personally use Khagra as a chaos lord, the model is too good not to.
Depends entirely on what you want to do! Khorne and Nurgle are both very powerful and extremely useful, Slaneesh a little less so, and Tzeentch is a bit poo poo.

Tzeentch is specifically a bit poo poo because rerolling 1s to save is awful when every list you make will contain at least one Sorcerer Lord handing out blanket rerolls to saves with a free ability to units that really need it, because the Tzeentch specific Warshrine buff is extremely situational and usually not worthwhile, and because Disciples of Tzeentch doesn't have much in the way of synergy to ally in that targets the Tzeentch keyword.

Unless you are doing a super themed monogod army your choice of battalions and allies will usually dictate your mark more than the actual effects of the mark. I usually go Nurgle when I want to use the Plaguetouched Warband battalion or use the Warshrine buff on a Nurgle unit to give it +1 save. I often go Khorne because the Khorne Demon Prince's command ability is super powerful, and because Blades of Khorne has a ton of cheap heroes that project extremely good buffs that target the Khorne keyword. Maggotkin has a few heroes that do the same for the Nurgle keyword.
This wasn't because of the mark itself, it was because of the command ability on the Demon Prince, which made every hit roll of 6 made against one of your units bounce back a mortal wound, which was nonsense. It was FAQd to bounce back D3s after all hits were resolved if any rolled 6 to hit, which is bad.

Thank you for the rundown! Very interesting to put these things in the wider perspective of what's good in the game. I lack any reference for that off 2 games against the same army (khornate daemons).

I will probably stick with Chaos Undivided for the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Danimo posted:

a unit of 15 Chaos Warriors would just be 1 Reinforced unit, allowing you to take 3 more reinforced units (in a 2k game). You reinforced the warriors twice, because they are battleline, but they are still just one unit.

Nah, it explicitly says reinforcing twice (so 15 models, not just 10) counts the same as reinforcing two units once each.