Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Turns out there is a fairly active AoS community near me, so I'm considering dipping my toes in. So far the two armies that appeal to me most are the Gloomspite Gitz and Savage Orcs. Couple of questions:

Are there competitive Gloomspite lists that don't involve just globs of squigs and nothing else? I like squigs and definitely want to use them, but I don't want them to be the whole army and a lot of lists I see seem to have basically no actual goblins in them except for like herders and casters.

Also, it sounds like a new version of Warhammer is coming out soon and one of the major changes is that it's going back to square bases? Should I even bother starting right now or should I just wait until the new version arrives? I don't want to spend a bunch of money making an army that I can't use in a few months because the bases are wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

RagnarokAngel posted:

Gitz are also probably one of the more diverse armies in terms of having multiple valid ways to play. And theyre pretty luck based but at least in a way thats fun. If youre the type of person who laughs when their unit destroys themselves due to your hubris and bad dice its a good time

That definitely sounds up my alley, and I was considering savage orcs for the same reason, based on foggy memories of playing a few games of 40k as Orks when I was a kid and having a bunch of wacky poo poo happen.

Another random question, but looking at a few of those lists I noticed that pretty much every Orc list is running those Rogue Idol units, but it looks like the only miniature for that is from Forgeworld and it's not even always in production. Part of the reason I stuck to the hobbyist side and never got into the wargaming was because I enjoy getting into competitive play for tabletop stuff but everything I read about sanctioned events made it sound like they were massively anal about using only GW minis and bits, to the point of 3rd party headswaps on an otherwise standard mini being a no-no. I like converting so that put me off, so I'm curious how they handle people running units that there isn't even an "official" miniature for on the GW store. Are there exceptions for stuff like that and you can just kinda make your own, or do you have to shell out for the Forgeworld one, or what?

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Revelation 2-13 posted:

If you don’t restrict yourself to not only the savage type of ork, but use ‘big waaaagh’ (combo savage and normal orks), orks are actually very diverse and ***competitive*** as well. It’s pretty much nekkid orks, orks riding things and orks with armor though, in terms of models. Rogue Idol is super cool though, but it’s only one thing.

I really do think people over emphasize the competitive aspect though, especially when first getting into it. There are so many aspects of making a ‘tournament competitive’ (for big tournaments) list that doesn’t really matter for 95% of actual games, even if you play in local flgs/club tournaments! (almost) Any faction can play strong and cool lists at a local community level, just by you reading over the books and using warscroll builder to find cool combos etc. but those are very different from ‘winning’, actually competitive, big tournament, lists. Those often does things like ‘make it impossible for the opponent to do anything if x/y/z conditions are in place’, or ‘almost always get first turn and kill 80% of opponents army if they deployed even slightly wrong’. Local meta and your skill with the army and unit choices in that army probably has a much larger impact than wether the faction itself is overall competitive.

What I’m saying is that imo you shouldn’t worry too much about what’s “competitive” right now, but think about which play style you prefer (horde or elite, shooty or stabby, mobile or defensive, complex or simple, etc.) and which faction you think looks and feels cool as gently caress. Tournament winning lists, both which factions and which specific models in that faction are the ‘best’, will change a poo poo ton in the time between you buying the army and it being painted anyway, unless you’re a super speed painter with nothing but time.

Yeah, I'd definitely ease into the competitive side, I was just worried about the converting aspect because I'm pretty competitive and playing in some local tourneys would basically be guaranteed if I enjoy the game at all, but I'd hate to do a bunch of painting / modeling work and then find out I can't actually use any of it because there's a couple bits from non-GW sources or something.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Ok, after poking around in some of those tournament lists posted earlier, I actually changed my mind about not wanting a squig-heavy army and now I kinda want to run an all-squig list lol. Originally wanted a bunch of night goblins just for nostalgia reasons but squigs look too fun.

The other army that caught my eye from those lists was Ogor Mawtribes focused on gluttons, ironguts, and leadbelchers - For some reason I really like the Ogor minis and they look really fun to paint and convert, but I was never particularly drawn to the big beastrider units.

But those two armies kinda look like polar opposites in almost every way so I'd love to hear from you guys on some pros / cons on both of them - especially interested in how fun they are to play and how much of a learning curve there would be a for a new player.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Ok, I've settled on Ogors since I'm a slow as hell painter and I think if I started a horde army I'd never actually finish it. I wanted to work on my skin tones anyway so that's a nice bonus!

Quick questions:

For a basic army outline I'm thinking a Tyrant, a couple Butchers, some Ironguts and Gluttons, a unit of Leadbelchers, and an Ironblaster, which should put me right around 2k. It looks like trying to snag the Ogor half of the Feast of Bones starter set off of eBay would be a good backbone for that army, right? Also, are the sprues in those starter sets the full sprues with all the little bits and stuff from a regular unit boxes, or are they a pared-down version? I like converting a lot and I want as many little random pieces to mess around with as possible.

Is there any good place to read about basic strategy for different armies / breakdowns on the different units, etc.? I played a bit of 40k like 15 years ago but that's basically my only actual tabletop experience so I have no idea where to start beyond just looking to see what people are running in tournament lists.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Speaking of settling on Ogors, has there been any indication that they're going to put out plastic kits of any of the Butchers / Slaughtermaster / Maneaters? I really like the sculpts but the prospect of dealing with finecast on a bunch of extremely thin, fragile, and highly detailed pieces sounds like complete hell.

Also sounds like a couple of their kits are almost constantly out of stock, which is pretty weird, but I paint so slowly that I guess I'll just slap a restock alert on them and work on other stuff until then. Are they just constantly underestimating the demand for them, or is it a sign that they're revamping kits or something?

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

What are the oldest sculpts floating around for units that still see play / appear in the books? It's pretty wild that stuff like Skaven jezzails are still rocking the same sculpts they had when I quit playing like 15 years ago, especially since they seem to be pretty widely used. I'm sure there's some even older stuff than that though.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

How do Nighthaunt sit in terms of competitiveness? Thinking about putting together a small force since by the time I finish painting them it will probably be possible to play games in person again. I'm not looking for like min-max tournament stuff but I also don't want to play an army with bad powercrept rules unless they're at least bad in a really fun way.

Also how the hell do people even transport their armies around for games anymore, looking around at 2k lists it seems like every army has like 3-4 gigantic centerpiece minis that are like 2 feet tall and covered in extremely fragile fiddly bits.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

I've only ever painted minis but I'm trying to dip my toe into playing, and I've got a dumb question:

The warscroll for Orruk Ardboys gives the option to take a Boss, banner, glyph, shields for 2 in every 5 models, and a drummer for 1 in every 5. But aside from the boss, the warscroll doesn't mention any of those options changing their stat profiles or costing points. I don't have the battletome yet so that may just be info that you can't see for free, but mostly I'm just wondering if there's any reason *not* to take as many of those as possible.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

What's the word on Maggotkin nowadays? I've always loved the Nurgle aesthetic ever since I first got into the hobby but I've never really heard anything about them in AoS - seems like everyone either just runs demons or does a Nurgle-themed Slaves army with a bunch of knights / warriors / marauders. But the Blightking minis look insanely fun to convert and paint and I've seen some lists that are basically just a big blob of them + a bunch of named characters, which is right up my alley. Are they actually any good? I know they were garbage-tier for a while but I haven't been keeping up with changes in a long time.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Unfortunately the only shop within reasonable driving distance to me that actually has people playing anything other than 40k is a GW shop. I am also getting more interested in competitive play and eventually that probably means you're gonna be playing lots of GW sanctioned events right? I see local tournaments every once in a while but it definitely seems like its mostly GW or bust on that end. I guess I might end up hating competitive play but I'd rather play it safe for now than risk wanting to do more of it but having to re-buy / paint an entire army.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

What kind of position are Maggotkin in right now? I've been picking up all sorts of fun weathering techniques to use on my 40k army and I really love the grossness of the Blightkings / Pusgoyles. It seems like loading up on Blightkings is a pretty solid strategy, but I'm wondering if they're actually good enough to hang with any of the big boys or if being an older book just hurts them too much. Seems like the damage is kind of anemic and lacking rend options really hurts.

I'm not expecting to sweep tournaments or anything but I am interested in competitive play, so with that in mind, how much pain and sorrow would I be in for?

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Is there any convenient place to see any potential point changes from new FAQs / errata? Trying to do some listbuilding and I want to make sure I'm actually working with the most current point costs on everything since I know those get tweaked periodically.

Can you even get that info for free or is it all part of paid supplements?

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Skails posted:

They probably did come with 25’s. I’m redoing some of my older Vamps and the 32’s are much better.

drat, trying to do freehand on a folded surface like that seems like a nightmare, kudos for pulling it off so well. That skin tone is killer too.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Those skellies kick rear end and their armor is juuuust close enough aesthetically to the new Vampire minis they've teased that I wonder if we'll get a whole kit in this style. Probably fit in pretty well with the Sepulchral Guard sculpts too, those these look like they might be taller?

Edit:

Also sorta related but what is the deal with almost every army's battleline units being the worst / most outdated sculpts in their ranges?

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Feb 5, 2021

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Yeah every Underworlds band is basically "haha don't you wish your AoS troops could look like this?"

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

DoK is gonna be interesting, they are currently kind of blowing up on the competitive scene and if the new book is power-crept a little bit more they're probably gonna be very dominant.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Protagorean posted:

hearing there was new Saurus, but then learning it was just a single Oldblood sculpt for a warband, ruined a whole day for me

Yeah, it's absurd how old almost the entire Seraphon range is, especially considering how popular they are. Makes no sense. And not only are a bunch of their special units old sculpts, they're also finecast only for an extra gently caress you.

People have made some cool Saurus Guard / Warriors out of the Blood Bowl box, at least:

That plus being able to loot the infinitely better dark elf Cold One sculpts helps ease a little of the pain.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

How would you even transport that thing anywhere?

I'm always amazed that people fly to tournaments and stuff and somehow don't come out on the other side with a giant box full of demolished models. Everything is so big and spiky and full of little dangly bits, and there's definitely a trend towards mounting giant pieces on really tiny / thin stands like that bloodthirster. I don't even think those things would fit in most figure cases unless you're rolling around with something that looks like a concert roadie's case.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Floppychop posted:

I appreciate that GW isn't modeling the strings on bows anymore. Plastic can't really be thin enough to look 'real' while retaining integrity.

That being said, I wonder how crazy it would be to add something like fishing line...

This dude uses painted thread and actually drills the bows so that it's not far off from an actual stringed bow lol. Looks pretty good.

https://robhawkinshobby.blogspot.com/2014/12/modeling-tutorial-bow-strings.html

I think fishing line would be more "realistic" at that scale but it would also probably just be invisible except for when it catches the light.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Pretty sure my first AoS army is gonna be either Orks or Ogors. They both play pretty similar in that they want to quickly get in the opponents face for krumpin time, but what are the big differences between the two?

:orks101:

I would say Orruks are probably the more direct / less complex of the two (and also currently the more competitive army), and then your other big consideration is how elite you want your army to be.

Orruks have three factions: Savage Orruks (basically a horde army), Ironjawz (fairly elite, smaller, harder hitting units), and Big Waaagh (in theory a combination of the two but mostly gets run almost entirely as Ironjawz because the faction traits are very good for them).

Don't have enough experience with Ogors to give a strong answer but my impression is that they are an even more elite army, with the Beastclaw lists running probably the smallest number of units of any army other than Sons of Behemat. Currently I'd say the tier list for both armies in terms of competitive play would be:

Big Waaagh
Ironjawz
Mawtribes (mostly Bloodgullet)
Beastclaw
Savage Orruks

But they are both pretty much armies that are all hammer, no anvil, yeah.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Underworlds minis are so drat good but I wish anyone near me actually played it. Unfortunately everyone says the rules suck and that playing at a competitive level means collecting spending a shitload of money on cards from basically every warband that has ever been released, which leads me to wonder who they are making all of this for if it's that unpopular.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Weird, there are literally no events for it here and the few people I've talked to about it said they didn't like it because it felt more like a board game than anything related to AoS.

Most of the complaining was about how much of a pain in the rear end deckbuilding is though, yeah.

Wish I lived somewhere where I could try it out for myself eventually, the small warbands are perfect for me because I paint slow and tend to lose interest by the time I've done like 10 mostly interchangeable versions of the same battleline model, and the sculpts have infinitely more character.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Z the IVth posted:

Just buy and paint the minis. They're amazing and not that expensive considering they're unique sculpts.

Oh yeah I definitely plan on it, would just be cool to play with them too. I guess I could just use them in my army too, but since they decided for some reason to make them actual (universally terrible with like...one exception?) units in AoS too, that might be confusing.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

berzerkmonkey posted:

Tell those people "Well, no poo poo - it is a board game, you chucklefucks. Do you hate Space Hulk because it feels 'more like a board game than anything related to' 40K?"

Dumbasses.

Anyway, WHU is quick and fun - if you can get a starter cheap, or better yet, the B&N exclusive Dreadfane, you'll have a good, fun two-player game that you can pull off the shelf as a nice palate cleanser. Plus it's $50, and if you have a coupon, you can get it for like $40!

As big of a fan of WHU as I am though, I will be the first to admit that the deckbuilding aspect is tiresome, and unless it's your only game, expensive for hundreds of cards that you're never going to end up using. With the price hike, you're looking at over $300 retail for the core and all warbands in a season (never mind probably needing cards from the previous season as well) plus whatever money grab set GW throws out near the end of the current season that you have to grab to remain competitive.

Of course, you don't have to go competitive (though if you want to play in a tourney, you absolutely will) and there are side hustles you can pull to lessen the cost - buy a warband, sell the models and core deck, keep the universal cards, and you'll knock somewhere around 50% of your investment cost. Or your group can strictly play core decks - this can suck because some warbands have really, really lovely core decks. Or you can print cards for local play - there are card databases with the images.

I will say that I'm going to be curious to see how much longer people will stick with the WHU model, especially since we're going to have an entire season rotate out, and almost a full season in before we can even play in person again. And I do wish there was a better option for card purchases - like if they bundled the core decks with the models and the complete universals were a separate deck (though there would be warbands that nobody would buy, so it wouldn't make good business sense to do this.)

Personally, I don't know if I'll stick with it - it's hard to justify when you can't actually play with anyone, and this season hasn't had a warband that really appeals to me yet. I did buy Direchasm and immediately sell off the warbands, so I've at least got the boards and rules from this season. I don't know if I'll keep up with it though. The models always kick rear end, but I've got so many unpainted models that I'll never get to that I really don't need to add to the pile. Maybe I'll feel differently when we can finally get out and game again.

In summation:
WHU: Rules and gameplay - yay! Deckbuilding and potential high cost - boo!

This is a great writeup, thanks! Yeah the deckbuilding aspect sounds brutal, which is a shame because I love the idea of it on paper. Hopefully they hear enough people complaining and just sell some core card packs or something - it feels like shooting their specialty games in the foot and letting them die off instead of doing a few simple things to sustain them is kinda par for the course unfortunately. Very shortsighted imo but what can you do.

I'll probably still pick up and paint a few warbands and maybe I'll end up with something semi-competitive by the end.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

I'm meh on the Lumineth (other than the terrain) but drat they knocked everything else out of the park, it really finally feels like a new "age" of GW sculpts.

Man I can't wait until the ork boyz kit gets a facelift, all their modern stuff looks so good.

Also I love that new Nighthaunt Cruciator even though it looks like it would shatter into a million pieces if you looked at it wrong. Almost every single piece is long and skinny as hell. Even their basic units are spindly, to the point that I've heard of multiple people snapping pieces off while they were painting them.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Hadn't seen the full spread of minis for Cursed City yet, these are awesome and there's way more of them than I expected. Wish I could buy some of them separately just for kitbashing. Really curious how expensive this is gonna be, with everything that's in it I don't see how they possibly sell it for less than $200.

The big cossack-looking skellies are cool as hell and I hope it's a sign of the direction they're going with Soulblight stuff.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Winklebottom posted:

They're ogres so it could be a sign of the direction they're going with ogres instead :v:

I mean I'll take that too tbh, the ogre aesthetic has always been kind of a weird mix of nomadic steppe / islander stuff and I'm definitely down for more furry hats and amazing facial hair.

But the old vamps definitely had some Eastern European design influences too so it could slot in nicely there as well. It seems like Soulblight is basically gonna be the home for regular ol' skellies, as much as I wish Tomb Kings would come back.

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Feb 20, 2021

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Yeah what the hell is the deal with some cavalry units just being outrageously expensive? Like the Varanguard are the same thing, $100 for 3 models.

The same army has 3 larger chariots in a box for $90, and 10 Marauder cavalry for $50.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

berzerkmonkey posted:

Quoth GW: "Because we can!"

I'm not up on the STD, but are Varanguard something you don't really need a lot of? I can guarantee potential sales also drive the pricing - if you only need one of something, be sure that that one thing is going to cost you.

A lot of the StD lists that are actually doing well in tourneys now are running 9-12 of them as leaders, like this one:

https://tabletop.to/hammertime-iii/list/marc-brookes3

Which is nuts lol, you can buy an entire 2k army for most other factions for what just the leader slots in these ones cost.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

peer posted:

I mean yes they're hideously expensive but they're also huge and each is basically the equivalent of a hero character

They are pretty big but not the equivalent of 20 chaos knights big.

But yeah prices are just very inconsistent regardless. Wouldn't really even be an issue if most competitive StD lists didn't want $300-400 worth of them.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

A whole new Vamp line at the quality of the new Underworlds / Cursed City would be amazing but also painful because I definitely can't afford to start another army any time in the foreseeable future.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Is that a cloak made of Skaven? Man the new vampire stuff is ridiculous in the best way.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Have there been any rumors on when the next edition of AoS / new starter set is likely to come along? Need to fill out my fledgling Nighthaunt force in case they're ever good again some day, but I'm not sure how long Soul Wars is likely to be in stock.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

I painted during the old WHFB days but never played - did the game board get smaller in AoS the way it has in 40k? It seems like boards getting smaller + bases getting bigger is going to eventually reach a point where you're gonna be able to consistently make turn 1 charges.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

berzerkmonkey posted:

40K had to shrink the table size because games were taking 6 hours to play.

Oh don't get me wrong I definitely think it was the right move, it's just interesting to me that base sizes are also steadily creeping up - seems like it's not too far off from the classic gunline armies being almost obsolete. Maybe that's a good thing too, but I do like seeing different playstyles.

I have no desire to play 6 hour games, but I do enjoy a more drawn-out fight now and then. I think stuff like Kill Team / Underworlds / Warcry already lends itself to very fast in-and-out games so I also don't want to see things get *too* streamlined to the point where most armies play almost identically except for a few special rules here and there.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

The tier rating stuff is not always a great reflection of reality - like KO and Seraphon are generally considered the "best" armies, but they don't really have a dominant tournament presence the way some other top armies have had - you'll see them in the Top 3/ Top 5 pretty often but I rarely see a tourney where like all 3 of the top spots are taken by them like you used to see with Slaanesh lists, and there are tons of tourneys where they don't show up in the Top 5 at all. They're very good and statistically they're favored to win like sub-60% of their games, but there's still a ton of variety in the meta right now.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

I'm really gonna end up having to start a vamp army just for the cool armored skellies, huh.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Also worth noting that most (all?) of the Underworlds warbands also get stand-alone releases without the cards that are quite a bit cheaper - looks like $25 for the cardless warbands on their own store, so probably $22-ish from eBay / Amazon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Has GW always churned out kits at this same pace or did I just not notice when I was only interested in 40k? Seems like almost every other day there's some new kit being previewed. Not that I'm complaining.