Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
On a whim I ordered the Gloomspite Battletome. No clue how they play at the moment, but I adore the models and would love building a little force of them if nothing else. Recommendations for initial purchases? Does anyone have their Path to Glory table?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Awesome, thanks.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Yeah I noticed that lol, I was asking in the discord earlier about my options with a Path to Glory campaign coming up - it's either wait it out and miss games or go all in with a warband that has no bodies...so basically all trolls or all squigs. Both sound fun but I'm not sure which approach to take.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Crosspostin from the discord, whoever gets to it first. If a Loonboss on Mangler Squig has the Fight Another Day trait that lets them move after they do their weapon attacks, does that mean just the Loonboss can attack or can you attack with him, the crew, and the squigs and then move? If you can't do the latter, can you decide the order of your attacks and just save the Boss's attacks for last?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
For my gobbos, I'm thinking a very pale green for their flesh - maybe rakarth, pallid wych flesh, and some light green wash. I want their robes in red. Maybe purple for squigs. I'm gonna have to buy so much paint this weekend.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Speaking of Gitz I banged these guys out over a couple snow days off work. Love these models.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
FEC lore is so cool. It's a clever idea to give a faction of mindless killing machines character by saying actually they are not mindless, but delusional would-be heroes, poets, and kings.

Like here is my dripping carcass gobbler. He is a loving father of 7 children. He worries his youngest is not living to his full potential. He enjoys fox hunts. His skin is sloughing off.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

GreenMarine posted:

Is Clan Pestilins still a separate army?

I don't believe so, no.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Shared these guys in the discord last night but figured I'd do some cross postin

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Took my Gloomspite Gitz for their first couple battles today for Path to Glory (and my first AoS games in...a year?) and I was pleased with their performance despite a little hiccup.

Game one was The Vendetta and my opponent first selected his unit of 6 Kroxigor as his "rival" unit, before changing his mind at some point which was not clear to me to his Skink Shaman, which was all well and good but for me focusing down his Kroxigor the whole game and assuming I'd won when I killed them, only to get the news. My general (Loonboss on Mangler Squig who was my rival unit) was down to 2 wounds and probably a turn away from going down so I conceded. I was tempted to make a thing of it at first but really wanted to keep the game friendly so I accepted that I just missed him telling me he changed his mind (though I don't think I did!)...I rolled a new follower which was the result I wanted anyway so nothing was lost accept my pride lol, whatever.

Game two was the same opponent, this time in a simple kill points with objectives game, impossible to get anything confused. I give him turn one and he teleports his Troglodon right at my Manglers with no support and is unceremoniously eaten. He lines the rest of his army up on the objectives which makes for easy charges for me. This fight goes pretty quickly in my favor without any drama, getting me more Boingrots for followers.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
There is nothing beardy hams love more than a "x is actually y lol" memes

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I'm the loose cash

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Anyone have experience with the Beasts of Chaos book?

I've loved the faction ever since I tried them in Total War and was wondering how they played/what kind of synergies and weaknesses they had. Seems at a glance to focus on flooding the table with fast moving chaff that can advance and charge? My only point of trepidation is that none of the units except for maybe the Bray-shaman seem to stand out much. Is this just a case of the army being more than the sum of its parts, or are you relying purely on numbers and mobility to win?

I'd love painting these guys regardless but would like to know it's worthwhile before I start pegging away at 40 Ungors lol

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Instead of giving in to my itch to start a new army I think I'm just gonna camp on my Seraphon and plug away at a few needful additions until they get their glorious 2.0 rework (which is hopefully forthcoming), maybe paint up a few heroes I'm missing so I can just plug and play when the book drops.

Wonder what kind of free obligatory terrain piece they'll get. Spawning pools seem like an obvious one but they're already efficient enough at spitting out Skinks and Warriors through summoning.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Seraphon 2.0 with persistent spells and a terrain piece

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Can't handle Garagehammer - one guy is okay and sounds good, but the other one without exception seems to always be fidgeting over his lovely mic and acting distracted, like he's only half paying attention and replies with a lot of grunts and mumbles.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Going to start painting seraphon tonight. Someone mentioned they're probably getting a new book soon, which I don't know (how do releases work with sigmar? Are they "in line"?)
Seems like a good time to get into them.

They're a very safe bet for being next in line after Sylvaneth, but if not they won't be far behind.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Hihohe posted:

For real though, Id want a sort of sub army for Chaos cultist that were all beast men. Theyd be like the catachan version of imperial guard. Minotaurs are Ogryn, Ungors are your conscripts, imagine a beastman Leman Russ tank.

That's my dream army right there.

I don't play Vermintude but I loved that trailer for the Beasties. They don't get featured in stuff nearly enough. They're menacing as hell when portrayed correctly.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I'm in love with this thing

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
People new to AoS from 40k balk at the double turn, but there are also very good reasons to turn down the double turn if you don't feel you can properly capitalize on it to deny your opponent getting a double turn after you. It's not always as simple as "wow I get to go twice and therefore I've won!". In fact that's rarely the case in my experience.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Doorknob Slobber posted:

why do skeleton need codpiece

They are not skeletons but guys made out of bones and souls, presumably they have bone dicks

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Picked up the Godsworn Warband box last week after the year-end release schedule leaked and figured it was probably about to become harder to find. I've been wanting to start an army of rowdy chaos boys and girls for a while but didn't feel like wading through the stink of early AoS releases (or the half-hearted allegiance stuff from GHB), so the stars kind of aligned on this - I was expecting a reveal of a Slaves tome soon but not within a couple days of getting my models.

Anyone more familiar with the army have some educated guesses about what they'll get/lose? I've heard some people postulate that Warriors might lose great weapons/halberds since they're not on the sprue, which would save me the time of having to track down all those upgrade sprues.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Considering I just bought the army box I'm very glad they'll look good together with the old models. I still have every intention of painting mine up.

Looks like the chaos knights box is getting bumped down to 5, for what I assume will be more money. Can't say the old sculpt isn't a bargain lol

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
So is the new lizard lord a refresh of Chaos Lord on Daemonic Mount or is he his own thing? Didn't catch that in the reveal.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Getting my Chaos Warriors around

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Cinara posted:

Guessing the new Knights will be a ton more expensive than the old kit, those old ones are far too cheap for how much plastic they have these days.
I expect them to be around the same price for half the models (old kit had 10 knights versus new kit's 5), so yeah that'll be a big price increase.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Boing posted:

I'm surprised and disappointed the Warcry cultists aren't good. Those are gorgeous models and I thought they'd want to push them, especially since they can get people into Warcry as well. The idea of Marauders being phased out by weird mishmash mixes of those cults is appealing, it's a shame that regular Marauders are just better.

The Chaos Warriors are just what I wanted my Saurus Warriors to be though. I might just get a bunch of Chaos Warriors

Yeah that's a bummer - I haven't looked at their new warscrolls yet (have they changed?) but I'm honestly shocked they didn't do more with them, considering the unit-strength repackage they're getting. I can still see them being useful for Ravagers bringing them in off the board edge for free but I can't think of any reason to include them in my lists. Also, how on earth are things like the cypher lords not getting chaos marks?

I'm still optimistic about the book though. Nurgle is looking strong as hell and I think my planned list of cavalry-heavy Slaanesh is gonna work well. If there's one thing I hope this book avoids its making the army just a supplement to other Chaos armies, and from what I've seen it appears to stand on its own.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

TKIY posted:

I promise I'll stop spamming now, but I appreciate the interest in the stuff I'm designing, and I want feedback.

Goons get 10% off forever: https://www.etsy.com/ca/shop/SigmariteBoutique?coupon=GOON10

Looking good! May I make a suggestion? Do you plan on ever making Mark of Chaos tokens? I could see an increased need of them with the StD battletome dropping soon.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
That's just what I'm looking for! Looks great.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

TKIY posted:

Okay, I'll get it up on the site once I've done a batch of test prints.

edit: Placeholder is up - https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/761043285/chaos-mark-trackers?ref=shop_home_active_1

Brilliant, I ordered 5 of each :)

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
my god

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Put a wrap on some Chaos Knights

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Gorgeous content. How did you accomplish that alpha legion metal?

Thanks! It's just Decoart metallic teal and ironbreaker.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

TKIY posted:

Okay, I'll get it up on the site once I've done a batch of test prints.

edit: Placeholder is up - https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/761043285/chaos-mark-trackers?ref=shop_home_active_1

Look what came in! Perfect.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Wrapped up the lizard lord for my Slaves to Darkness.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
A sampling of my Gloomspite Squig Herd

And the Slaves to Darkness I'm working on now

I haven't got a huge amount of AoS done in 2019 but they shared time with my Tyranids and Black Legion for 40k

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I don't play Everchosen or Nurgle so none of the StD nerfs hit me and my Slaanesh Ravagers, except for no single model exalted charioteers but that already felt like I was getting away with something and not at all intended, nor was it a huge boon anyway.

I don't know, I feel people's pain over the Nurgle DP nerf but when something is so good it becomes an auto-take I'd rather not have it around. I still don't think Archaon is worth his points but I didn't think he was pre-nerf either. This is all easy for me to say as someone who never planned to build my army in these directions but I feel like by and large StD continues to play just as it did, sans the obviously broken stuff.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Saurus need new plastics worse than Chaos Warriors and Knights did

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Can I just say how nice it is to see a new model range and be like "I won't be buying that"? Like, the new elves look great! Teclis is cool! I can't wait to see how people paint and field them. But I am 100% confident they are not my thing. The vanilla elf aesthetic just doesn't inspire me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
How do Ogres play btw? Is there book more of a "several armies in one book" deal or can you mix and match stuff like normal Ogres and Beastclaw and still get synergy?

I'm interested in them but not if they force really narrow list building