Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I feel like most of the ranges are perfectly fine but I only play little games of Sigmar. I've been playing fish elves with some trees for bulk. Idoneth could use more models, but they're also a brand new faction so I'm ok with the current options because they're all either good or great and the models own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You can get tiny single fishbowl ornaments that are meant to make it look like a city and they are very tiny indeed.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Is there a decent mounted knights way to play AOS? I have some fish elves but I'd like to paint some cavalry and potentially use them in small games. Would go down the path of Vampires if they can do it because I love me some vampires. Could also stomach Chaos.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I've actually got some metal Blood Knights and a Dragon Knight converted to a mounted VC Lord in a box (dragon prince with some mutilated metal vc bling). Maybe I'll dig them out and try to make a list. I've got a Mortarch kit sitting around gathering dust too because I got distracted by turtle battle platform.

The chaos knights look rad but I've already got a few models for vampires and it might work out. Huge bonus if the army is good.

JBP fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Apr 18, 2019

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Asmodai_00 posted:

It isn’t like, auto top 3 at tournaments, but I’ve seen a few different people play it and do well enough. I think some of the lists included Neferata, Vhordrai, 3x5 blood knights and some objective holding fodder like zombies or skeletons

Yeah, by good I mean "isn't bad" more than is super competitive or anything. I don't tend to worry a lot about tournament play or the meta but it sucks playing garbage.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Man a Khorne starter box and a box of chaos knights is a pretty tempting start to a cav force. Not classy like a vampire or order knight, but these models are pretty cool plus I've never played skull edgelords in 25 years of gw slavery.

E: oh yeah and also more skullcrushers and a mounted lord :/

JBP fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Apr 18, 2019

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

I know somebody mentioned it in the thread before, but they really missed an opportunity to go with "HedoKnights"

My daemon is going to be named HedoRick. He's here for the rippin and the tearin.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Plavski posted:

Hedoknights would imply some sort of knightly code though, so it doesn't make sense.

HedoCode: Biggest boner wins.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Dawgstar posted:

This is my gateway into Gloomspite. If I'm super lucky I can find somebody to take the Ents and whatever off my hands.

I probably would if Australia (so not likely). I decided that my cav army will be 1k of eel riders and a turtle. Trees would be nice allies maybe? I've sworn off buying boxes with two armies due to the hassle.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Abilities:

- Vigour and wrath
- It's in my hair, it's in my hair!

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I really like the sylvaneth stuff but like many factions I just think "I wish there was more variety". Hopefully soon.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I've got total army paralysis for aos. I wanted a cav army (weird cav) so I've been thinking about Khorne crusher army or an elite Akhelian Corps army because I like the sea and I have an Akhelian King already. Now I'm looking at Sylvaneth because GW keep advertising the poo poo at me and I'm like "maybe they'll get more models soon and the faction will be fleshed out more".

E: gently caress it I'm just going to get two boxes of eels and a turtle this week, that's an army.

JBP fucked around with this message at 13:44 on May 5, 2019

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Plavski posted:

The stormcast vanguard-pallador cavalry models are incredibly beautiful.

Those poses are super dynamic and expressive.

Those are good models but I don't really like stormcast as a faction. I really like Deepkin on every level so I should just stick with that. An army with palladors and a stardrake would be sweet to look at though.

I hope in the coming years that Idoneth get a seahorse mounted unit of questing knights.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Dawgstar posted:

Squig herd! Although if you want to make that a serious suggestion it looks like Looncurse would be a good place to start.

I thought about it (I like goblins a lot), but I don't really love the idea of painting a heap of tooth balls or potentially a horde. I like the Nautilar backstory and colour palette as well. Also if I want to double turtle my Akhelian Corps one day, I can double turtle them hard :getin:

E: welp I bought six eels and a shark, I don't know if the shark is good but I like it. I'm going to do a hunk of Nautilar that broke off and settled in a ship's graveyard but I don't know if I want it spooky or super colourful. So many hard choices.

JBP fucked around with this message at 05:15 on May 6, 2019

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

That video was extremely funny I liked it.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Looncurse seems ok in Australia. I'm sure they've got enough of them, might be more brexit related poo poo?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Floppychop posted:

I wonder how many of the preorders are people who are just planning on parting it out on Ebay for a profit.

Considering that there are people in the Australian groups advertising 10 x each side or further break downs, I'd say a lot.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

What's a good colour mix for bleached coral. My Idoneth are getting a sad barrier Reef theme :australia:

It's hard to try and get it whiter than bone but not white, I'll try and get some flecks of lots of different colours in there very, very muted.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Wow poo poo

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Two snakes coming together, you say...?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Do you reckon GW gets frustrated that their "starter boxes" just get picked up by people already in the hobby on day one and then chopped down and sold to other people that are already in the hobby? I guess the basic ones are always available but Looncurse going immediately seems to defeat the point of it existing. Or is it just to get people started in another army, idk.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Endman posted:

I know that feeling. I've almost totally lost interest in 40k but AoS is really motivating me. Seems more fun spirited? Somehow? :shrug:

I like that AoS has a big focus on flavour and cute little details for each unit. For instance the Idoneth tides of death rule is extremely fun and nothing like it (to my knowledge) exists in 40k.

AoS feels more like playing an RPG in a world of magic than a straight up wargame sometimes, I really like that aspect of it.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I said come in! posted:

Warhammer: Chaosbane is available now on Steam for users who pre-ordered the deluxe edition.

Can you post if it's poo poo in here, the PS4 thread and the martyr thread I don't want to miss out if it's good.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I said come in! posted:

The 40 minutes i've had a chance to play so far this morning are extremely positive. I'm a diehard fan of action RPGs. Two of my favorite games in the genre are Path of Exile, and Diablo III. Chaosbane leans more heavily towards Diablo III. The combat is smooth, responsive, and at least in the early game upgrades and loot come really fast.

I am in phase one of VinceMcMahonReaction.gif

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The Deleter posted:

The important part of the new Gotrek stuff is that he hates all of the new setting and thinks the fyreslayers are morons, which is good and cool.

lol

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Clawtopsy posted:

Please explain this comment thanks. Where is Felix.

Gotrek is looking for him. He's dead.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I hope they do something with Settra when some of the Stormcast inevitably turn bad.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Der Waffle Mous posted:

"hey that one WFB character you liked who wasn't tapped by another allegiance probably has their own host of stormbois" is one way of getting you to care about stormcasts.

I just want them to recombobulate Settra enough times that he gets extremely mad and escapes yelling Settra rules. I don't care if he's never seen or heard from again. God speed, friend.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

MonsterEnvy posted:

Also he probably does not remember much.

I just want him to vaguely remember that he doesn't serve eventually. That's enough for me.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

For_Great_Justice posted:

They seem to be trying to take one thing and going to 11 with it for themes for armies. Fyreslayers are just Old World Slayers the army. Khadoran are engineers, just every single one.

Sigmarites are all golden armor bodies, Ironjawz are all just orks of varying levels of armor. Beast Claw raiders either ride beasts or command them but had no real basic foot troops.

The new Goblins have goblins, squigs, and varying levels of trolls, a huge vareity visually and thematically in one book. This is a big diff compared to the previous and even adding in old options like the hope is with beast claws and old ogores is a better route, at least to me.

On this note, how does using allies work? Is it worth it like in 40k? I've only had a brief look at the system and I'm not sure how you do it.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Razzled posted:

a friend finally pushed me over the edge to getting some warmans-- i always liked the chaos marauder theme, so slaves to darkness it is.

problem is i don't like 50% of the models in the start collecting! (dont like the chariots, dont like the sorceror)

should i just buy separate units and forgo the "discount" of a starter bundle?

It's going to cost a bit more than a starter, but the Godsworn Warband contains great chaos miniatures.

E: you might not like the gorebeast (I think it's cooler than the regular chariots tbh) but you could just sell it if you don't want it.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I’m thinking about getting into AoS now that it looks decent and the sting of killing Fantasy has worn off but there are actually too many factions to choose from. The nu-greenskins, especially the gobbos, look great, all the spooky spooks look great, all the non-Khorne chaos looks great, Deepkin look great and DoK look great except I can’t imagine painting them...

Since my first love Tomb Kings are gone and there’s as yet no modern version of my other bffs the regular high and dark elves I have no idea what to pick. I might narrow it down to just one Grand Alliance and get a random selection to paint and see what faction I like.

I think you should get some fish elves they're cool.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

:shepicide: but with a harpoon gun

You can get away with making an AOS army pretty cheap compared to whfb. Force size is smaller and 1000pts is a general game size. I like eels so I picked up 6 new from lgs with a shark and an Akhelian King. Then I got another 6 eels cheap on ebay. Bam that's a full army.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

What kind of eel is better to start with?

Yeah they're both good. What else are you using? I'm all eels, sharks and the king.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The Deleter posted:

Both are good, although if you're going full eels, lean it a little towards Morsarr for killing stuff.

I have two flanking 3 man Ishlaen and then a down the middle supporting the king 6 man Morsarr unit.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The Deleter posted:

That sounds perfect. You'll want to boost the numbers/add more as you climb up the points costs, obviously. The pre-GHB 2019 army comp tended to be 1 9 man and 1 6 man Morsarr unit and then a few Ishlaen.

I wish the Namarti stuff was good. :(

Right now with a shark they're 1000 points almost exactly which is good since the club I've started going to has a fair few new armies around that value. I think if I expand from here it's going to be two more sharks and turtle power, then I'll probably bulk up on eels. It's such a fun cav army.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

How bad are namarti? The rez-focused realm of death enclave sounds cool :(

My understanding is that they're fine, eels are just better though. I picked eels because I wanted cav and I liked the fish elf aesthetics/fluff. If you want to make a sweet spooky namarti army give it a go!

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Ristolaz posted:

Those models are epic and they still hold up really well compared to new stuff. I see no reason why they'd get rid of them anytime soon

Yeah there's no real need to change them at all. They're perfect in every way.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I like the Godsworn Hunt models. If they can play Warcry I'll probably get them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/07/14/new-models-revealed-at-the-atcgw-homepage-post-1/

Newest Warband unveiled and they're pretty spiffy and shows us another side of Chaos.

I really like this.