Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
How are the Skaven lately? Have they gotten a lot of Love?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
There's a FLGS in town that's got a Skavenfriend who is gonna teach me how to play AoS

I've never played, any survival tips? Should I bring a water? How long is a game of AoS usually? I'm gonna assume it's at least 90 minutes. Maybe longer for a tutorial?

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Where's a good spot to read up on some army-specific tactics? Goonhammer is my go-to but they don't have a section in the army I'm looking for and I dunno who else does quality, up-to-date unit analysis and stuff. 1d4chan is gone I guess, and honestly I don't think they really knew what they were talking about most of the time anyway, so it seems like pretty slim pickings out there.

1d4chan is back.

It's not great for anything but humorous hyperbole.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
What is the Great Horned Rat's endgame?

Khorne wants the coolest toughest guys to kill people and look cool doing it

Tzeentch loves game of thrones, especially seasons 5+

Slaanesh is for obessives and coomers.

Nurgle just likes people dying and becoming something new.

All of these people aggressively seek out followers.

The Great Horned Rat happily feeds any mortal interested in his worship to his people. Why?

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

GIRL BRAINS posted:

The great horned rat has numerous goals which are reflected by its numerous personalities. This is mostly reflected by the great clans having contradictory end games- for example, pestilins want to create a plague so virulent it wipes put all life in the mortal realms, skaven included. Which doesn't really jive with the rest of the clans.

But imagine being the one rat left over :allears:

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
Thanks for all the responses. Personally I think Skaven should be an Order faction. They want to build and be prosperous. [i]Change my mind.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Deified Data posted:

Tbh the grand alliance scheme is creaking under the weight of the narrative ambition of AOS. It worked fine in the beginning but the value of putting factions like DoK under the same umbrella as Cities of Sigmar or Skaven in the same faction as Hedonites is starting to make less and less sense as the world gets fleshed out.

Can probably break the "Grand Alliances" in the next edition/lore update.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

RagnarokAngel posted:

Like 40k its usually best to pick an army you like because thatll help keep you invested. In general Josh Reynolds is a high quality author for AoS stuff and was a huge influence in making it what it is now.

and then I google this dude's name and he quit the company, argh

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
Age of Sigmar announcements tomorrow.

Anyone got a bingo sheet ready?

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Whee??

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Miles O'Brian posted:

My goblins will continue to hide in their caves and not pick up the phone to any deities except the bad moon

And Nighthaunt will continue to be the coolest Death faction

Whats the deal with Nighthaunt? I haven't read the lore and HeyWhoah's video just said they were "ironic punishment ghost swarms"

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drIXhhOt3hg

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

DLC Inc posted:

I started with a lot of 40k stuff last year but between the ennui of painting certain units over and over (and needing so goddamn many for armies) + the brainmelting ruleset of complexity and relatively sameness of shootman actions, I've been slowly backdooring into Sigmar with my Underworlds warbands and Cursed City box. The last month or so of ridiculous models revealed for Sigmar---Vampires especially--have been pushing me to do some research later on for possibly making a full army. It doesn't hurt that all of my gf's friends pretty much play Sigmar more than 40k and vastly prefer it. Sigmar armies generally look like they're a bit smaller and unique than the 40k ones, is that true?

Depends. Skaven armies can get pretty big but can also be small. I think GSG have big armies too

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

a pale ghost posted:

I'm not really into the nurgle skaven, would some clan rats be a good start?

I found it to be a good start, since they're very small and somewhat detailed.

This is the first clan rat I ever painted:

Here's a few more:

and the completed force:

Then I said "i dont like this color scheme" and decided to make hosed up neon hell-rats.

Those 40 rats actually encompass the entirety of my painted minis, but I'm picking up Spiteclaw's Swarm:

Which is, for the most part, a tiny little army on its own, which can be used in AoS. It's a cheaper buy (clanrats are 50 bucks and SCS is like 20$ less. You get fewer models but they're more detailed, a bit bigger I think and are basically an entire faction for Warham underworlds).

TheDiceMustRoll fucked around with this message at 04:12 on May 6, 2021

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

a pale ghost posted:

I bought ten skaven clan rats on ebay. I'll see if they're fun to build and paint. I REALLY like the giant rats with the mini gun hands.

Building isn't my favorite part, mostly since you just glue to the base and choose a weapon and a shield. The Stormfiends are much crazier.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Tulip posted:

Extremely good.

Thank you, I've written extensive terrible fanfiction about my subclan of Skyre. Their leader is a lady Skaven and you'd be forgiven for hoping that means she's nicer but no no no no no. She is a Skaven and a big big fan of pulling that ladder up.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
so, I only have 40 skaven and I haven't read the rules yet - I held off buying the book because this thread was rumoring AoS3 really hard and its quite expensive where I live.

I know the general gist of the game from watching battle reports online;
Hero, spells, etc
move
shoot each other with arrows and guns and poo poo
charge into battle
stab each other
shock? test morale?

what's this about double turns. Does that literally just mean you take two turns? Why is that bad? As far as I've seen during the shooting and stabbing phases the other person gets attacks too

edit: also what are the conditions for getting a second turn

TheDiceMustRoll fucked around with this message at 23:19 on May 8, 2021

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
falling in love with those stupid, sexy Slaves to Darkness. How many duders do you need for an army? Is the Start Collecting box alright?

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

^burtle posted:

I remember one of the leaks implying that the Sigmar 3 box was going to be comparable to Indomitus so here is hoping they learned something.

I hope it's a Skaven/Stormcast box. That would be nice. And while I'm being delusional, maybe they could update some of the older models, like the Ratling Gun teams?

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

moths posted:

Indominus benefited from both sides being kickass models at an incredible bargain - these stormcasts look rad but its popularity is going to be weighted heavily on the mystery faction.

tbh most people I know love the SE. They're picking up traction here, although bizarrely where I live is nighthaunt country with nine different frequent flyers all having a 2000 point nighthaunt army. No skaven. Couple Kharadon Overlords...

Speaking of Which, I know this is video games, but there's been a flurry of news. The animations for this game look pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2vPqgYBwyE

TheDiceMustRoll fucked around with this message at 05:32 on May 12, 2021

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Still kicking myself for skipping that when they put it back out for Christmas a few years ago, the rat side was perfect for making a table top version of Vermintide.

? like 5 models vs a couple hundred skavenslaves and the specials?

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
I'm making a Skaven Army as you all know and I'm planning:

80 Clanrats
Skritch Spiteclaw as a Clawlord

Then I was thinking of having some stormfiends and ratling guns and warpfire throwers for the real damage. What should I have for spellcasters? Part of my goal for this 2000 point army is to not necessarily win all the time, I'm not a competitive guy, I just like rats swarming people on the battlefield. lol Anyone got any suggestions?

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Crazy Ferret posted:

Echoing the Grey Seer on a Bell, it will really help running a lot of clanrats and stormvermin. The Verminlords are also worth looking at as Screech and the Warpseer are great, and Verminus can be fun if you want to run a big Claw horde. I usually run an Engineer as well just to buff my various contraptions, and Warp Lighting can be handy.

Lately, I've been using a Bell with 1 group of 40 and 1 group of 20 clan rats, along with 30 Stormvermin and its been a blast. You get this neat, thematic core to your army and I still have points to run toys like cannons and a doomwheel. Once I get more painted, I will probably max out all those rat units.

as long as I can unleash unholy hell on enemy units with ratling guns and have big boys to smash people around...:)

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Deified Data posted:

Speaking of Stormfiends I just finished mine! I love the little fetus Jaeger pilot in the back

They are very good and like to be buffed by engineers, so don't forget about arch-warlocks or Bombardiers if you want an alternative spell caster (still recommend at least one grey seer though)
Did you Skyish purple the brain rat on this fiend?

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Deciding to go all in-in on swarming the everloving gently caress out of my enemies with an insane amount of units nonstop. What should I add to the list?

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Crazy Ferret posted:

Clanrats are just there to get in the way, take objectives, and screen for the Stormvermin and other killers. Any kill that the Clanrat unit gets is a bonus victory as I do not expect to survive for very long once they meet the enemy.

I take a unit of 20 clan rats solely to stand in front of my large group of Stormvermin. Their job is get chewed up first and they usually succeed in buying me time for my Stormvermin to charge. It's worked well but this is about the only reason I'd use a unit of 20 clanrats, otherwise like 10 Gutter Runners can go annoy and take objectives better. I even have a silly RP where its "Slypaw's Horde" where the Sergeant is always recruiting new Clanrats to his unit with fresh weapons and armor, and the rats are not smart enough about why he is always coming back with the same weapons and armor and less rats.

Get 2 or 3 big blocks of Clanrats, a good block of Stormvermin, and then spend the rest of your points on leaders and tool of destruction.

I have 60 CR already. I'm thinking of just buying one more 20-pack and then having 2 big blocks of 80 CR.

quote:

Arch-Warlock (160)
Clawlord (100)
Verminlord Warbringer (280)
Grey Seer on Screaming Bell (240)- General
40 x Clanrats (200)- Rusty Spear- 1 x Standard Bearers- 1 x Standard Bell Ringers
40 x Clanrats (200)- Rusty Spear- 1 x Standard Bearers- 1 x Standard Bell Ringers
3 x Stormfiends (260)- 1 x Warpfire Projectors- 1 x Ratling Cannons- 1 x Doomflayer Gauntlets
20 x Stormvermin (200)- Halberd & Shield
1 x Ratling Gun (60)
1 x Ratling Gun (60)
1 x Warp Lightning Cannon (180)
Vermintide (40)

So that's two massive blocks of clanrats to harass people with and swarm and annoy them with.. 20x stormfiends to go for objectives and harm people. Stormfiends for mobility and killing, double ratling guns for a very painful shooting phase, a warp lighting cannon because I plan to overcharge it and risk exploding every single turn, and Vermintide because it seems like a really nasty spell.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

moths posted:

My current theory is that some disgruntled employee snuck something wildly racist, slanderous, or legally actionable into Cursed City.

Basically the dicks on the Little Mermaid poster but Warhammer.

Probably explains why the !Saltzpyre mini's warscroll just says "Roundtree is a pedophile" for his attacks

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Imagined posted:

Man, I was really sympathetic a year ago to the whole thing about COVID kinking up the supply chain, but 15 months later it really feels like the businesses of the world could and should have sorted that stuff out by now. Or at least been able to accurately predict how much it would affect a given product, or something.

uh oh, someone's coming to the realization that the western world's prosperity has always been in a delicate balance! i sure hope he doesnt find out what we do to get the raw resources, probably have a Shadow Over Innsmouth transformation.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
In other news, I've been reading Skavenslayer and its amazing how incompetent the skaven are in the old lore compared to now

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Froghammer posted:

Skaven are also incompetent in the current timeline

The Codex certainly doesn't make them look nearly as incompetent and stupid as they are in that book, I just finished a chapter where a pack of Gutter-Runners tried to kill one of the main characters and literally this happened:

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Froghammer posted:

The Great Horned Rat's ascension to god of entropy and contradiction means their dumb plans randomly work more often in AoS

isn't he just everything? He has four aspects, one of which is technology good, one of which is warrior swarm good, one of which is plagues good and the last one is being sneaky good. Although I don't recall if that's actually how it works or if the skaven just think that. I really liked the addition(?) of Verminlords as turbo-skaven demonic princes who basically stir poo poo all day for fun.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
Gotrek and Felix #2 is just a weird and radical whiplash from the first one, which was very dark "chaos and death and pain" stories with many miserable endings. It feels like I walked out of a showing of Berserk and into a showing of the Dark Crystal. They're both Dark Fantasy, but, you know.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

????

Edit: Alleged contents:

>Drycha's Spitegrove
Drycha
10x Spite Reventant

>Exquisite Pursuit
Contorted Epitome
3x Fiends
5x Seekers

>Rattacha's Doom-Coven
Bombadier
3x Stormfiends
Warplighting Cannon

>Butcher's Herd
Shaman
6x Minotaurs
Ghorgon

TheDiceMustRoll fucked around with this message at 10:20 on May 24, 2021

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Revelation 2-13 posted:

Or d3 mortal wounds for each six-up, on a number of dice equal to the charge roll (like ogres) potentially 36, average 2, haha.

Anyway, poo poo those are some interesting boxes to me. I kinda both want the doom-coven and the herd. 9 stormfiends and three lightning cannons seems fine. Also, who doesn’t want to play with three cygors.

what
its one unit of stormfiends and one lighting cannon with a warplock bombadier. It says 5 models on the box

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Strange Poon posted:

I'm back with another boxed set question.

I'm definitely going to try and pick up the new box set, is scalping a big enough problem that I'll have to worry about this?

I can pick up the current AoS starter with no problems right now. There will certainly be a big push at the beginning, sure. Is it a dealbreaker if you can't get it day one?

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
if a piece is missing off a sprue, is there a way to get that piece sent to you or is this a "heh, too bad kid" situation?

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Der Waffle Mous posted:

my understanding is a lot of the time it ends up with a "enjoy your second kit" situation.

D: it was one of the Delaque guys :(

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Lasting Damage posted:

the new box set is called Dominion and was directly compared to Indomitus by Warhammer Community, which means it will be a limited run, possibly followed by a Made-to-Order period for people that missed the boat on the first round.

quote:

For fans of the Mortal Realms, this is quite simply the best boxed set ever. If you looked on enviously last year as Warhammer 40,000 players cracked open their copies of Indomitus, this boxed set is like that. Dominion, however, has fewer boltguns and undying robots, and more lightning warriors and… well, you’ll have to join us to see.

It basically just says "yeh its gonne be fookin' awesome"

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Furism posted:

I haven't played it myself yet (my unplayed video game stash is even larger than my unpainted mini stash) but I've watched a few friends play. It seems nice, and more like a "Path to Glory" type of campaign which I think works fine for this. No doubt they'll release DLC for extra factions (the absence of Destruction is ridiculous).

But on the topic of video games, I wonder why they never released a proper digital version of any Warhammer (AoS or 40K). I mean the actual war game, where you'd play by the same rules. They could even have a freemium model where if you play for free you only get like basic Stormcast units, and if you spend a little money you get more units or factions. Basically milk the video gamers like they milk the hobby. I don't think it would prevent people from playing the war game, in fact it could bring more people in. And it'd be a great way to try new lists and strategies etc. I realize you can sort of do this with Tabletop Simulator but it looks fiddly and not of very good quality.

I mean they did Blood Bowl in the past, why not do AoS?

the sheet amount of assets required would be insane, still, including a code with every model so entering it gives you the model in the game for free...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
Where...is Skaven