Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I haven't played warhammer since 2002 and just noticed they're bringing back my pointy alf boys at a time where I finally have the time and disposable income (and just moved near a GW store) to get back into the hobby. I have a bunch of 4th-6th edition models and holy crap have GW improved their models since I was into the hobby. I don't know if anyone ever tried to build the 6th edition pewter Phoenix Guard models but those have to be some of the worst I ever tried to deal with.

It seems like AoS has improved a lot with the new edition though, so I'm definitely interested and I appreciate the fact that this game seems to have a much lower cost of entry than fantasy did.

Upside is the resources for learning how to paint are insanely good now and I've started to use a bunch of old spearmen to practice highlighting, shading, wetblending etc.

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jan 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
oh I know I'll just use my old Teclis model that has sat in a box, primed but unpainted for 15 years

going through all the high elf models I missed I really dig the direction they were going before they nuked fantasy, so interested to see what they're going to do with them.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Clawtopsy posted:

Good, Eltharion owns. Blind Eltharion was such a cool model.

I was really excited to get buy him when I was a kid ages ago and spent way more time painting him up than any of my other models and am still proud of it even though it's pretty bad.

They really nailed the high elf aesthetic, welp I guess I'm going to try AoS now. Time to figure out where to start. It sounds like these models will become available sometime in the early Spring?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Yeah a lot of the old pewter models are rough compared to what you can buy now. I'm trying to put some old swordmasters and high elf heroes on foot together. They're all pretty good models in comparison to some other stuff out there (6th edition phoenix guard I'm looking at you) but it's still a pain in the rear end.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
geez that's good

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Really want to own a beefer of secrets now. I like the weird and wild ways they're taking High Alfs.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Marmaduke! posted:

I hope the new High Elves set is vastly overpriced so as not to drag me back into the hobby

same but I'm probably gonna get it anyway

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Waiting for the Aelves to come out and i'm already confused since I last painted high elves and am going to miss painting scale mail and cone helms 24/7

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
i must be the only one who loves the silly hats

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Mugaaz posted:

Are all the Lumineth models revealed now? If so, feeling kinda let down. I absolutely love the spearmean and horses, 11/10. Perfect. Teclis and the Minotaurs are both cool, but just so incredibly strange. I want to like them more than I actually do. The hammerbros don't do it for me at all, I think a head swap could fix them though. Without the headswap I find them awful. Etherion is another perfect model, 11/10 again. All the other solos I just don't like. They're goofy and boring simultaneously. It just feels incomplete. All I would need to be happy is some type of elven war machine, give me some ballistas. Also, would really like some phoenix guard type heavy infantry. With neither, I'm just not sure anymore. Thought I was gonna jump into AoS with this faction, but hype has diminished.

I feel the same way about pretty much the same models, but I'm happy with the battle cattle and don't mind the hammerelves with the weird hats. The one unit that stuck out as kinda crap are the archers.

The fact that I've come up with two or three different army schemes means I'm probably going to pick them up whenever they actually get released, the spears and horsemans (and eltharion) are just too good.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I'm still new to this, but you can use any of the AoS armies in Warcry? That's pretty cool, since I'm gonna get this dumb elf box and I was somewhat interested in Warcry.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Post endlessly to drive up the bandwidth costs and tell people to stop donating to his patreon account and that might do the trick unless he just shutters the whole thing.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
it's kinda funny that Eltharion, who in almost all editions of the high elf army book battletome was notable because he was a mage (because of a magic item) as well as a high elf prince, can't cast any spells in AoS.

although they seem to be riffing more off eltharion the blind who I thought was more interesting (and a better model) anyway.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Still think about that 4th edition fantasy starter box. 20 spears, 20 archers, and a carboard standee of eltharion and a bolt thrower. Cool.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Mugaaz posted:

I got the Lumineth box and just finished assembling and basing it. I like these models, they look amazing, but the mold likes on these were exceptionally tedious to remove. Also, these long spears on the Wardens are not sturdy, at all. I broke two just filing the mold line on them gently against my finger. Even if you excuse how breakable they are, it doesn't seem physically possible for wardens to be in base-to-base contact with an enemy force due to the projection of the spears. I imagine people are just going to have to place their wardens facing backward to actually use them in combat.

Oh cool it's 6th edition Phoenix Guard all over again.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I've read that the rest of the Lumineth line is supposed to be released in September. So I'm guessing then?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Thanqol posted:

i did not need to spend a billion hours lovingly detailing tiny freehand lightning bolts on these already extremely elaborate models but i did anyway

Those are really awesome. I got my box last week and am still building the models, but they're all really cool. Probably a huge pain to paint, but oh well.

Still trying to come up with a paint scheme, and how to base them, but I love the direction you went with yours.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

MonsterEnvy posted:

Cows are cool.

They are, but also cows are only one section of the army. In theory there should be other troop choices with different elements and non-bovine associations...someday, I guess? Someone mentioned a swordmaster model in one of the new Warcry releases but I haven't found any info about it yet.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Mugaaz posted:

Thank you.

Also, have to laugh at second part of your comment. I love the models, but these are some of the worst models to build and/or paint. I broke spears 8 time while painting. The mold lines are insane, and removing them is difficult due to how flimsy everything is. Spears needed to be shorter and/or thicker. I was smart enough to leave the shields off, but I should have left the spears off too. The models look great, but the amount of trim on them triple the painting time

I don't have much experience building modern GW models, so it was quite a challenge for me. Looking online, I think almost everyone has broken the standard on the dawnrider.

I managed not to break any spears, but several of the tassels broke off my Eltharion's cloak before I even opened the box.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Talas posted:

drat, those are amazing. I said "gently caress it" a few weeks ago and decided to slowly start a Lumineth army and drat, the models are a treat to build and paint. I'll be waiting for the next temples (river, wind, zenith), because I'm still not sold on the cow motif. So just vanaris for the time being... and maybe Teclis.

The good news is that it sounds like a Vanari army (and Teclis) is pretty strong. I like the cows but in terms of trying to collect something I can play I'll probably stick with Vanari for now. I do wish they had at least cooked up another temple to release because man does the range feel pretty limited.

Eltharion is still cool as poo poo though.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I hope it isn't years for another release for them. It doesn't seem like there's a tons of different ways to play the army, but maybe that's just a problem with all AoS factions, I dunno, I'm not familiar enough with the game to know.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
The colour transition on the eels is fantastic.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Mugaaz posted:

Haha, that's great. I started with white trim, but didn't like it. Felt boring, didn't provide any contrast against the pelvic robe area, so I changed it to yellow, which I liked. Guy on FB group told me he liked everything but the yellow trim. Everyone has their preference, eye of the beholder and all that.

The yellow works well but hilariously enough I'm going with white trim. But I'm using a very dark navy blue, so I think the white pops a bit better. As you say, eye of the beholder.

Also that swordmaster model gently caress yeah. Also extremely on board for the owl.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Yeah I wonder if they'll double down on pushing more scenarios and missions to supplement the base rules. Objective play is a lot more interesting than about half the pitched battle games I played in old warhammer.

Also I know there are rules for narrative play already but I could see them fleshing out that system a la Crusade.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
strong rita repulsa vibes

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
The only mechanic I remember chaos having that was lol random in WHFB was one spell that on a 1 the character turns into a chaos spawn. I won a tournament game once thanks to my opponent casting that spell.

I guess chaos spawns in general were kinda silly.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Every release for this game this year has been really great, imo.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I got some cow elves for christmas and I love 'em, even their comically oversized cow hats.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Talas posted:

Awesome, I got a Kharadron Overlords battleforce plus Jakkob Bugmansson, or should I say, Admiral Jakkob Bugmansson XI of the Flying Brewing Co.

Oh nice. The whole Kharadron range is really cool, and I've seen people itt and in the painting thread come up with some great schemes.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Anno posted:

Also in that video: more Lumineth and maybe a reimagined witch hunter?

Looks like possibly two Lumineth heroes that may have got cut from the first release: a mage riding a nimbus, and some kind of mounted hero on a camelid looking mount with some kind of sun symbol.

I know there are plenty of other army ranges that desperately need new releases but the Lumineth army was missing a non-Eltharion generic combat hero so this is nice. Also if the wind mage is from a different temple possibly another magic lore because why not.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Talas posted:

I want those new Lumineths right now! I'm definitely going to paint that cloud yellow :goku:

I wonder if the mounts are camels or maybe chocobos...

I'm kinda hoping for an alpaca/llama just because it'd be cool

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
look at this point ill take any of the above.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
it's a fantasy game, give me my magical llama-riding javelin throwers.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Yeah lizards need a refresh at this point.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

JBP posted:

What's the general opinion on lumineth? I should have my boats finished in March and I am considering a new aos army. Lumineth look cool but a goon opinion on their playstyle is always appreciated.

On top of what MonsterEnvy said, the range is really limited but everything in the books is good, pretty much. Which as far as I understand is rare for an AoS battletome.

Every subfaction (Great Nation) is solid to amazing, there's broadly two ways to build you army: either you go spears/archers/cavalary with Cathaller mages and Teclis, or you build around Hammer Cow Elves, Mountain Cows, Stonemages, and Teclis. Or gently caress it, who needs Teclis? Everything except the big beefy mountains and the stoneguard is a wizard, so you can just overwhelm your opponent with casters.

And there's nothing to stop you from mixing both -- honestly people far more creative at list building than I might figure out some great combination where you bring a Beefer of Secrets with some Spears and just have a blast.

The only unit that stands out is the Light of Eltharion, only because he doesn't really synergize with any of the subfaction abilities or units. He's still a great melee hero on his own and that's probably enough to bring him along in anything but the most competitive lists.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
That is exactly the same list I use for my 1k army! Only difference is I've found 2x5 dawnriders useful for board control (and gives you another wizard. 6 wizards in 1000 points :getin:) but 10 gives you a pretty powerful unit that can throw an absurd number of attacks at a big horde unit.

The nice thing about Teclis is that while he is close to $200 CND, he is also 660 points so if you can absorb the cost, it's a very efficient way to get to 2k points. You also already have enough battleline units for 2k points so you're well on your way.

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jan 12, 2021

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

JBP posted:

Nice! It looks pretty fun and I was thinking that exact thing about Teclis. Just add him and a couple of other units later in the year and it's basically 2k.

All I have to think about now is a colour scheme :toot:

Yeah I'm struggling with a colour scheme. Not because I can't think of one, but I'm stuck between two and am completely indecisive.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

JBP posted:

I'm kind of leaning towards a wood elfy green because I've never done a green army. I'd lock it in if they could ally with Sylvaneth and come up with some stupid lore but I'm also leaning towards Caledor style deep reds and burnished gold.

Green is a nice idea, I haven't seen a lot of other schemes that have gone in that direction.

I'm leaning towards a Navy Blue + bronze with cream or white trim, or a burgundy with silver and pure white trim I guess?

Basically variations on High Elf 6th edition or High Elf 4th edition that I grew up with. You raise a good point, I should look at what colours the various old nations of Ulthuan used, might be some good ideas there.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
They are an army that struggles against most other armies on average, although the balance in AoS isn't so bad that in a non-competitive game you're absolutely going to lose if you play Sylvaneth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001