Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I sure hope that Sylvaneth got some buffs. Anyone seen their page yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Has the new Sancrosanct Chamber entries from the GUN been posted?

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I would make the Sequitors whole with an ETB kit, and then wait for the rest. Glaivewraith Stalkers are good because it's groups of 4 and the ETB box contains 4.

The Castigators I would pass on.

It seems that the Grimghast kit is going to be a "builds two units" kit. I am thinking Grimghast Reapers + Bladegeist Revenants. Mathhammer wise... you want them Grimghasts.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

shoplifter posted:

My loving wallet

Paging Corrode! Paging Corrode!

My loving wallet.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I am glad I didn't go all in on Nighthaunt. Their mortal wound output appears to be getting seriously reduced.

Ima just keep painting the poo poo I have, and wait for other people to figure out the new meta.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Why do you say this? Did new rules come out?

It appears they are changing Frightful Touch to only cause mortal wounds on unmodified 6s, as opposed to the 6+ it was.

This change significantly affects the prior meta of Spirit Hosts and Keldrek.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Booyah- posted:

Magore's Fiends. These were gorgeous models to paint, I thought I didn't like bloodwarriors but now I do.

They came out right as I finished painting 40 Blood Warriors... haven't got around to Magore's Fiends yet.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I have been seduced by the Chaos War Mammoth. If they re release, I might buy 3.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Black_Nexus posted:

Don't chase the forgeworld rabbit, you will only get hosed when they nerf it into the ground like everything forgeworld

I have been looking for something to use as War Shrines. I am thinking of using them or Slaughterbrutes.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Badablack posted:

Anyone have an idea of how many of these citadel Woods kits I would need to get to account for all the forests I’d be sprouting?

Four seems like a good amount.

1 Sylvaneth Wyldwood consists of 1-3 Citadel Woods. You could realistically put out one before the game, 2 your first turn, and one more every turn of the game.

You probably will hit a point where you can't put any more on the table.

I have 5.

Edit:

I originally had 2 counts-as woods templates, that were the same footprint. Then, I got 5 HORRIBLY painted ones for free.

Also, now reflects Danimo's sage wisdom.

dexefiend fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jul 8, 2018

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

The Moon Monster posted:

Vallejo paints MSRP is $3.29/17ml for game/model color (which seems like the standardish price point for most hobby paints) and Citadel is $4.25/12ml so it's more like 80% more. Of course if you only ever use less than 12ml of a paint, which I imagine is often the case, then the difference in volume doesn't really matter so that'd be around a 30% difference.

... and when you lose 50% of a $7.50 loving bottle of watered down green paint ... it loving sucks. gently caress Citadel's horrible loving bottle designs.

I only buy Citadel to copy someone else's approach. I would much prefer all Vallejo w/ Army Painter washes.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Ahhhhh! A wild Richyp has been spotted!

I am making good progress on my Trees. Only 39 models to go!

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I think that's an error, i see -1 in mine.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I can't find the rule... can you guys help?

What's the deal with Nurgle Feculent Turdpiles loving over my Sylvaneth?

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I will mathhammer him in later this morning.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Please let there not be an awesome Beasts of Chaos box focusing on Bestigors, Gors, Chaos Hounds, and 2x Ghorgons.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

dexefiend posted:

I painted/ dipped 65 Bloodreavers this weekend. Here is my Khorne Bloodbound as of now.

I might actually finish this loving army.

8 Khorgoraths, 20 Wrathmongers, 20 Skullreapers, and some characters are still left to go.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Have any of you folks who actually play the game theoryhammered up a Beasts of Chaos list?

I am trying to balance out how much I want to spend to paint a shitload of beastman.

Edit:

Change paths a bit.

If I buy 4x Start Collecting Beasts of Chaos, would you recommend 40 Ungors or Ungor Raiders? Would that be a worth while start? It doesn't look like i can order Bestigors outside the Start Collecting box.

dexefiend fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Nov 6, 2018

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
There are only black rims.

Unless you are doing a Goblin Green retro army.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Bestigor mathhammer insanely well. I am now trying to understand Gors vs Ungor, with/without Mystic Shield.

I think Ungor with Spears/Shields is the best choice, but I am really trying to find a use for Gors.

Edit: I don't think there is a clear winner. Ungors have more bodies for holding objectives. However, you get a hell of a lot more damage output from the Gors.

(Ignore how I actually got these numbers, because there is a lot of judgment baked in.)

Effective Wounds:
Gors with Gor Blades: 38 for 210
Gors with Shields: 47 for 210pts
Ungors with Shields: 50 for 200pts

Number of Combat Phases to Breakeven:
Gors with Gor Blades: 1.8
Gors with Shields: 2.1
Ungor with Blades: 2.6
Ungor with Spears: 3.9

Another useful result: if spears let you engage 50%+ more guys, spears are better!

Secondary math hammering:
Ungor Raiders with rerolling ones and twos:
Base: 33.3% hit
Reroll 1s: 38.9% [1/3 × 7/6]
Reroll 1s and 2s: 44.4% [1/3 × 8/6]
Desolating Beastherd Base: 50% [1/6 × 1 + 1/6 × 2]
Desolating Beastherd Reroll 1s: 58.3% [1/2 × 7/6]
Desolating Beastherd Reroll 1s and 2s: 66.7% [1/2 × 8/6]

Desolating Beastherd represents a 50% damage buff for them. This make sense as it, in effect, is a 100% effectiveness buff for 50% of their effective attacks.

dexefiend fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Nov 16, 2018

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Meryen posted:

I’m looking at starting AoS after not being in the hobby for a long time. I am torn between Blades of Khorne and Daughters of Khaine. I like all the synergy stuff that Khorne can do but am worried that the actual modeling part might get tedious since it’s all red and skin.

I really like the DoK line and will probably get some stuff just to paint, but I’m not sure how “good” they actually are.

I guess I’m looking for advice from people who have actually played the game!

Do you paint?

Both armies are going to involve painting a lot of fleshtones. Blades of Khorne will probably have around the same number of models as a DoK army, perhaps 10% to 20% more. Both armies will involve a lot of aggressive frontline infantry.

Blades of Khorne will probably be easier to paint. DoK will give you more variety.

Mass painting techniques like dipping will work better on male models. Not being sexist here. Male models usually have darker shading than female models. If you paint female skin the same as male skin, it will read more masculine.

I would read up on painting female skin before embarking on a DoK army.

Play what you like to play and want to paint.

New GW seems genuinely interested in maintaining a balanced game now. So, if you buy a $400 army because its going to give you a lot of wins ... it might not be the best decision.

It sucks to be stuck with last year's power army that you don't even like the models for.

Personal notes:
I bought Blades of Khorne because I wanted to paint bloody Khorne/meth fueled cannibals, and the models look awesome.

I bought Sylvaneth because they have neat mechanics, and rad models that are surprisingly easy to paint.

I bought Beastmen (over the past two weeks) to paint an army of crazed murder beasts. [Beastmen also were the army i wanted to play in 1997, but no 17 year old could afford them.] I think they are going to be easy to paint, and I like their mechanics.

I am all about painting and the possibility of playing. When i was a kid I loved making Shadowrun characters, even though I didn't have anyone to play the game with.

What kind of gamer are you? What parts of the hobby are important to you?

Final disclaimer: I have yet to play a single game of Age of Sigmar, even though I have 255 painted models.

dexefiend fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Nov 19, 2018

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Thanks for that.

I am 100% about knowing how you are going to approach painting before ordering the army!

... and my wallet thanks you for not showing me that six months ago.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Danimo posted:

You get the full strength unit.

Gavriel is good but is just the darling of internet lists since he lets you get into combat first and immediately.

This is why I love Ungor Raiders so much! Feel free to eat them, bro!

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I am already stashing money in my Cayman accounts to fund this purchase.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
They raised the prices like 25% for the convenience of it.

Really helping us out!

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Get out of my loving basement, bro.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
You can make coral by dropping superglue into water.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

TKIY posted:

More work on my giant flayer FEC army. Airbrushes and washes are cheating.

Tell us more!

Edit: I already read your posts in this thread. I want more posts! Give us posts!

dexefiend fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Apr 18, 2019

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

TKIY posted:

Touchups done, last steps are varnish, foliage and blood.

Your post just sold 2 Start Collecting Boxes + 9 Crypt Flayers. :v: :retrogames:

Is there a referral link I should have clicked?

Edit: 2000 point army for $245 dollars.

dexefiend fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Apr 20, 2019

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Chronomantic Cogs is pretty amazing. The Aethervoid Pendulum is a decent death laser. Both of these fit into what was said above.

They can't be used against you as much.

The Pendulum can move around, but can't turn. This makes it less dangerous for the original caster.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
It seems to me, they use these boxes to clear stock, and generate buzz.

Once they cleared the stock and generated the buzz, why would they make more?

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I simply bought the Cogs of ebay for $19.79.

dexefiend fucked around with this message at 18:11 on May 15, 2019

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
What he sees: "My lovingly painted White Lions!"

What you see: models painted with 2mm thick primer and done in Testor's Enamels.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

TKIY posted:

Played a game with my FEC against Idoneth. This list was almost unfair:

2 x Archregents
2 x Crypt Infernal Courtiers
3 x 6 Crypt Flayers
Deadwatch Battalion
All three FEC endless spells
2 x extra command points

Your list was simply empowered by the quality of the paint jobs.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Cooked Auto posted:

Also explains why its been so quiet on the painting tutorial video front on the YT channel.

I need them to release a bunch of videos just for me, using Contrast paints.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Mengel Minis is a rad dude

Ima copy the gently caress out of these.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Tomb Kings are rad and always have been rad.

It would be dumb for them to leave free money on the table. Make Necrosphinxes. Get money.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Yeast posted:

I painted some fantasy for the first time in years

Those are some sexy mammeh-jammehs.

I went autumn theme on most of my guys, but my spooky ones are going to be winter bark + ghostly green like Drycha there in the middle.

dexefiend fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Sep 16, 2019

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

The Deleter posted:

I wonder if a future version of AoS will use a similar synonym for all units. Writing "within 3 inches of an enemy unit" over and over on warscrolls has got to be tiring - replacing it with "engaged" or something similar would save a bit on wordcount.

Brings back memories of explaining the difference between is engaged and engaging for models with different melee ranges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I think I have passed the desire to have Boneboyz, ... however , those Varanguard look pretty sweet.