Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

They're glass cannons. Hit like a fuckin truck and then die in droves.

Just like they should.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

AnEdgelord posted:

tbh every warhammer mini I see in person is smaller than I thought they would be

I got my first Daemon Prince a few months ago and I was shocked at how teeny tiny it is

That is because we are used to seeing them enlarged on screen. I'm the same way and have to remind myself that 32mm is just a tad over an inch.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

shoplifter posted:

I feel terrible for you guys, my FLGS is a 20% discount on all GW by default

You're lucky. The one local store that gives a discount is on a sliding scale - 10% for over $50, 15% for over $100. I mean, it's cool they do that, but with a 7% tax rate, it isn't enough to make me want to shop there in a regular basis (though I do try to buy something ever time I go.)

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Nebalebadingdong posted:

Is there an update to the game's skirmish mode in the new edition or is there something rumored to come out?

Or is Shadespire considered the Skirmish mode?

Shadespire is NOT skirmish mode.

I do believe that one of the videos said that Skirmish and Path to Glory would be in the big black book.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

TKIY posted:

PTG and Skirmish are in GHB this time I think.

Oh, ok. Either way, I'm happy with it being in one of the main books, rather than a supplement.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Hammerhal Herald has launched.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

S.J. posted:

Skaven should've been destruction. gently caress chaos.

Absolutely. Maybe GW will get smart and move them over when they (hopefully) redo the Skaven book and bring everyone back into the fold.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

muggins posted:

I bought a TableWar case at AdeptiCon and while it was expensive, I love it. I've tried to make my own storage stuff in the past and it usually just leaves me disappointed. If you have the cash I'd go for that. I personally don't buy battlefoam™ stuff anymore

My only concern about these are 1) it's gotta be heavy as gently caress, even empty; 2) sometimes airline travel is not the most gentle, even if you have control of your stuff, so you're really dependent on your magnetizing, since you don't have anything else protecting your models from rattling around that hard case; 3) are the Tablewar cases even carryon sized?; and 4) cost - how many models do you have in there? That's the $130 case, right? A PACK 432 with Magna Rack is the same price (cheaper with a sale) and I'm curious how well it compares.

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jun 26, 2018

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Their website specifically says they're not meant for airline travel.

Tablewar posted:

The Case is designed for the display, storage, and light transport of hobby models and miniatures. This case is small enough to be used as a carry-on on an airplane. This case is not recommended for heavy transport such as, for example, the unprotected checking as baggage within an airplane.
They're not meant to be thrown in the luggage compartment.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Luminaflare posted:

Ooo, pretty.

But then:

What in the ever loving gently caress is that. :stonk:

It's GW making things that aren't traditional fantasy. Everything isn't going to be a winner, but good on them for trying.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

I need so many 32mm bases

Ebay.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

The Deleter posted:

Chaos Dwarves have always looked bad.

:agreed: The FW ones are ok, but the GW ones were always bad.

If anyone is interested, I've got a brand new Maggotkin Battletome for $30 and a new Maggotkin Warscroll cards for $20 shipped in the USA. I take PayPal - email me at portablezombie at gmail.dotcom.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Business Gorillas posted:

I think I found a paint scheme I like, i saw this but I have no idea what paints these are. Any ideas?

Edit: I figure the whispy stuff is that new tech paint and the skin (??) is the new hexflame thing, mostly looking at that dark rear end blue gray color for the hood

That green has a very Hatbox Ghost vibe and I really, really like it...

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Lady head is definitely a good head. I assume it comes with the Soul Wars starter?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

beergod posted:

Man, this is quite the rabbit hole to go down. I have Soul Wars coming in the mail tomorrow and picked up the Dark Imperium starter set after spending some time at the local Games Workshop store.

Does anyone recommend any of the Age of Sigmar novels?

The three mentioned are the go-to novels. Hammerhall and Others is also a good jumping off point. If you go to the BL page and look at the books in the first two lines (from City of Secrets to Silver Shard), you'll be good. Anything prior to that was AoS v1, and, while some of the books are considered ok, you could spend your time reading better things.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Played my first game of AoS a couple days ago. I made a comment that the whole "piling in" concept seems like it would be a big pain in the dick when it comes to tournament play. Some guy not involved in the conversation shouted across the room that if I don't like it, I shouldn't play in tournaments.

Doesn't seem like good game design to have a core part of the game that breaks when the smallest amount of pressure is applied to it :shrug:

Technically, no GW game is good for, or even made for, a tournament environment. So, even though he was being a smartass, he's correct. Just play AoS or 40K for fun - tournaments are the bane of fun gaming anyway.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

I mean that's fine, my first impression of AoS was that the game seems to have a veneer of "if you actually play the rules as written the game breaks immediately", which doesn't seem like decent game design

Edit: see: the goblin dude up top dealing 64 wounds per goblin connecting with a stick

Again, you're equating GW with decent game design! I'm not saying that GW's games aren't fun, but they are certainly not well written, and are ripe for exploitation (as with the goblin example.)

The good thing is that GW is seeing things like the goblin incident and making changes accordingly, so, maybe at some point in the future, AoS will be a solid game (or maybe not.)

(Please note that I am not trying to be a dick.)

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

darnon posted:

The only two I know off the top of my head that stock Warhammer to be wary of are Doc's Discount Game Store and model girls or whatever the account is out of Myrtle Beach. The former can be very slow to ship to the point of needing to file eBay claims to get moving. The latter is less a big deal but they tend to ship sprues bare out of box despite charging shipping fees.

I never had an issue with Doc's when I was using them, and I bought a LOT of stuff.

"Model Girls" is some weird cult (seriously) using a sexxxy name to lure nerds in. I've bought a few things from them in the past and never had an issue, but if you do have a problem and call them on it you get a response like:

quote:

Reply by modelgirl (Aug-07-17 22:58):
LYING CHILD-SEALED BOX=VIOLATED POLICY=NEVER WROTE US=REPORTED TO EBAY+BANNED!
or

quote:

Reply by modelgirl (Apr-27-18 07:29):
TROUBLEMAKING PUNK=BLOCKED+BANNED. FAILED TO CREATE PHONY PROBLEM=REPORTED EBAY!

It's kind of like what Trump would write if he were selling on Ebay.

YMMV.

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jul 11, 2018

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

bonds0097 posted:

Please model a tied off poop bag on the handle of his axe so that he can be a responsible dog owner.

Khorne cares not where the fleshhound poops, but only that you clean it up.

I now imagine that fleshhound pups poop little skull shaped poo pellets.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

AnEdgelord posted:

are murder doggos Khorne's version of Nurglings?

yes I know they are supposed to parallel the beasts of nurgle but thats not what i'm saying

Not really? They're lesser daemons (beasts) kind of on the same level as Beasts of Nurgle, Fiends of Slannesh, and Screamers of Tzeentch. There's no real straight line analogy between them though, other than the fact that they are all beasts and not semi-independent daemons. Nurglings are kind of their own thing.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

darnon posted:

Supposedly newer terrain is getting made in England. Probably in part due to the Chinese plastic industry slipping on manufacturing schedules for just about everyone judging by Kickstarters that have sourced stuff from China.
Makes it harder for the factory to sell out the back door too. :china:

All companies want to have a tight rein on their supply chain and manufacturing process, it's just that most can't afford to do it. GW charges enough of a premium that they can take charge of that portion of their process though.

Black_Nexus posted:

Good god, trying to bring GW up on an antitrust lawsuit.
Though I will agree that GW fixes pricing in the US by limiting discounts retailers can give. It really annoys me to see that not only does the UK pay less, they can get steeper discounts as well. I'm not a fan of that practice, no matter who is doing it (Canon, Sony, Microsoft, etc.)

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I coulda sworn dog-like beasts were already in Khorne's wheelhouse, Dogs of War and all.

They are - the old Juggernauts were bulldog-ish, and a lot of the old models had dog-like heads. The old bloodthirsters (my favorite) all have straight up pupper heads.

I've got the far right head that I transplanted onto the newer metal body. It actually looked pretty good, but I misplaced the whip and put the project on hold. I need to finish that up someday...

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Jul 13, 2018

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I kinda like how limited the factions are. You get just the important thematic stuff so they can release what makes sense, without having to give everyone every kind of thing. Also, the designers are able to create cool new things as a thematic new army rather than give Fyreslayerz a second kind of calvary after struggling to fill the calvary slot the previous year.

Does this mean I would be opposed to Dwarfs getting baby Magmadroth riders in the future? No, of course not. But would I rather have a new army of Light Dimension Elves that have a dragon riding unit instead? You bet.

This. I'd like to do a Stormcast force at some point, but I am kind of paralyzed by the number of unit options they have. I'd rather have a smaller pool to draw from. It also makes it easier to pick up a new, cool army - I'm not being forced to pick up the new, slightly better unit option for my army. I've got what I've got, and I can either bulk up a particular unit, or grab something from another army that catches my eye.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Bombogenesis posted:

At this point there are effectively three separate Stormcast factions(Base Stormcasts, Vanguard and now Sacrosanct), but GW keeps them all lumped together for whatever reason. I enjoy the lore about how they have massive hosts with different chambers and such, but they could probably safely split them into different factions without hurting anything.

It also doesn't help that I'm really just getting into AoS seriously, so there are a lot of things related to rules and organization that are a bit confusing to someone coming from older GW games that had things like hard and fast unit limitations.

The new Warhammer Legends scrolls have been posted. Sadly, nothing for Matched Play (though we knew that.) I really want my TKs to be a thing, even if I can only play them with friends. :(

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
That's sweet looking! I like that you contrasted her with the blue grey of the banshees.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

beergod posted:

If I prime the model with a color I'm going to use for a base, can I skip using the base paint?

Not always - sometimes real primers don't react to things like washes in the same way a base paint will. You'll have to experiment to make sure it's going to work the way you want it to.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
I've got one copy of the AoS Soul Wars 2.0 Core hardcover rulebook left - this is the big, 300+ page one - for $33 shipped in the US. portablezombie at geemail.

EDIT: All sold. I might get a couple more though - contact me if you're interested.

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jul 26, 2018

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

shoplifter posted:

Just wanted to note that Berzerkmonkey shipped the book super quickly and it was protected well. Thanks!

:allears:
Aww, thanks! I consider it a stroke of brilliance to have thought of using that insert to protect the book. (I don't get many, so I have to take them when I can.)

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

MonsterEnvy posted:

You can get the chainrasps cheap on ebay.

I've got 60. I'm thinking I probably won't need more than 40, but I'm not sure... I haven't seen any lists with more than 40, even at 2k. I'm always afraid to get rid of extras, just in case I need them later.

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Aug 4, 2018

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
You could, but AoS is at the point that if you are starting a new army, you should really put them on round bases is you plan on playing them in any sort of environment outside of your close gaming circle.

But yeah - while the lists are going to be different, they are still the same models.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Yeah, Grey Knights are just as brutal. They see usually seconded to an Inquisitor, so he'll issue the orders, but they are good little troopers.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
The whole point of Warhammer and 40K is that it is oppressively grim. Neither are nice places to live and life is a constant struggle just to survive. It's not that GW can't write shiny happy rainbow land, it's that they don't want to. Everything sucks, and there are no good guys (except maybe the lizards.)

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

For_Great_Justice posted:

I play games to play a game not become one with the lore, thats for grogs am greybeards.
Then why are you questioning the lore or "the irony" at all. If you really don't care what people think about it, or how GW writes it, just play the game and disregard all of the story and move on.

If people enjoy something that you don't, let them.

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Sep 4, 2018

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

I think the AoS lore being bad is worth talking about considering the designers of the game actively encourage you to create your own stories in their world

If the lore sucks and has no good guys, how the hell are people supposed to relate to it and forge their narratives?

The lore doesn't suck anymore, and GW is actively making it better. And it isn't that there aren't any "good" guys, it's just that nobody is without a skeleton in their closet (at the very least.) Stormcast, like Space Marines, vary in their level of zeal and connection to normal humans. The Dwarfs (sky and fire) are greedy, but still have a sense of honor. The Idoneth are tragic elves who don't like what they are, but also don't just want to curl up and die. Lizards are pretty much good guys, fighting Chaos in all its forms. Free People are just normies trying to get by.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Saint Drogo posted:

So the latest matched play update article is by Jervis Johnson, I thought he burned his bridges with GW and went to do some other scifi wargame?
Andy Chambers left some time back and did DFC, and Rick Priestly left to go to Warlord and do Gates of Antares. Jervis never left, but I think he was quieter with the previous CEO, though whether that was forced or voluntary, I do not know.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Chance II posted:

I wish I had a better camera/photo setup because I really like how these Orks are turning out but I'm loosing a lot of detail in these pics.

They look good. Just get a backdrop and you'll be all set. Even a sheet or a piece of posterboard will work.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Apollodorus posted:

Hello again, fellow Warhams.

So I was about to get back into both WHFB and WH40k pretty hard back in 2015, including buying a bunch more Empire minis to finally build that army up to 3000-4000pts. Then between Games Workshop nuking the setting, my getting married and buying a house, and being unable to locate the remainder of my painted minis from like 2000-2001 I gave up on it. After a recent visit to my parents' house that coincided with my dad finally cleaning up the place, I have rediscovered (I think) all of my old minis, but I'm really not into the game any more.

While I'd like to hold on to all the ones I've painted because of the tremendous sentimental value, I am hoping to unload the unpainted minis from armies I never used. So I figured I'd ask for advice here:
;
First up: How much can I sell the Island of Blood box set for? It is complete and in mint condition--all I did with it was open it up and read the mini rulebook (January 2011ish) and it hasn't been touched since. I see people on eBay asking around US$175 for sealed boxes and $100-150 for new unsealed; would $125 be "priced to move" or is that too much to ask?

Where are you trying to sell it? Recent sales show that it's going for $170 shipped - subtract 13% for fees and $20 for shipping, and you're looking at $127.90 in your pocket. If you sell for $125, I'd ask for the buyer to pay for shipping and Paypal fees.

You might also want to look at splitting it up if the complete set doesn't sell quickly - most players won't need both Elves and Skaven. You'll get about the same amount of money either way you sell it.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Prices are probably based on length of the book? The Dreadhold is a giant Chaos fortress that cost $1000.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Floppychop posted:

Goblins aren't Stormcast, so it wouldn't surprise me if they don't get new models and it's just a battletome.

They're pushing the mushroom thing, so I'd at least expect new characters. They've got a pretty sparse line though, and it seems like GW is making this a big deal, so I think gobbos will see a couple of new kits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Sab669 posted:

Welp.

I'm selling the Rogue Trader half of the Kill Team Expansion for $60, and buying the Sigmar half of Soul Wars for $40.

So I guess I'm not gonna play Ironjawz, because that deal is too good to pass up.

I think this is the first time in almost a decade of Minis games that I'm playing as the good guys :thunk:

What else will I need to buy? General's Handbook?

GHB 2018, SCE Battletome (if you want the formations) and the rulebook. Malign Sorcery if you plan on doing the spells.