Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
A friend of mine lured me into playing AoS. He offered me a box of Orruk Brutes, knowing I like painting stuffs (not just minis, usually scale models). Now I bought the two "Start Collecting" boxes and I have a little army of my own.

But I seem to lack some (or any) kind of ranged attack options. I saw that there are some Ork archers but I don't like the idea. I'd like to go the "gently caress subtlety" route for my army and I'm looking for big dudes hurling big rocks. More artillery than archery, in other words.

Do I have any options for this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Oh yeah I don't mind mixing other Destruction units, don't have to stick to Ironjawz/Orruks.

Welp I guess I'll just charge. The Shaman is not too bad but I found that it's hard to actually cast the spells, I seem to keep missing the dice checks.

Edit: Would the Rockgut Troggoths? I see that they have a 12" ranged attack where they pick up rocks.

Furism fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Apr 2, 2019

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Dawgstar posted:

Being an Ironjawz player, we just kinda do without. Since we're deceptively speedy often there's not a lot of time for the other guy to shoot at my guys.

Can you share your go-to tactic, if there's any? Like I said, all I have for units are the two "Start Collecting" boxes, an extra box of Brutes and a Mega-Boss. My friend plays Stormcasts so that's the only army I'm facing for now.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Thanks for the tips guys! Geez I got a lot of painting to do.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Is there somewhere a simplified ruleset I could use with a 5 years old? He somewhat gets all the different phases of combat but can't always remember all the Command abilities etc..

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
What would be the best novel to start reading about AoS' fluff? Something not cringe-worthy :)

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Thanks for the book recommendation guys. I just bought Soul Wars on Kindle based on your recommendations. I'm really more into novels that explain the lore specific to AoS. I've read enough Forgotten Realms books to have my fills of mediocre heroic & fantasy so I'll skip the books that are too generic.

Except for Orruks. Is there any book where Orruks play a somewhat major role?

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Complete newbie here. I'm slowly building an Ironjawz army because a friend exploited my figurine-painting hobby and lured me into playing with them. So I have a couple units of Brutes, Ardboyz, Gore-Gruntas, a Megaboss on foot, a War Chanter and a Shaman (and also some Trolls, forgot their name, to throw rocks at people). Because I just got a free Amazon voucher I just bought a Megaboss on Maw-Crusha. I didn't know that but the box gives you the option to make the rider Gordrak or a Megaboss. Which one would be smarter to build? I reckon Gordrak would have nicer abilities but is this worth the extra points?

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

koreban posted:

IIRC the difference is 1 axe or poleaxe vs. 2 axes. If you only have one, build it as Gordrakk, and if you want to just run it as a boss on a swoledrake, it's an easy proxy.

Ok thanks!

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Speaking of Orruks, I had the idea to get a unit of Rockgut Troggoths for my army. I felt the Orruks didn't really have much in the way of artillery and these guys seemed perfect : fairly mobile, can throw rocks for D3 damage, and can't still gently caress units up in melee because of the 3 to hit and wounds. Or would I be better off using more Orruks?

E:

Chiwie posted:

Just dropping off the weekly AoS content dump from goonhammer.

Age of Sigmar Review: Orruk Warclans

Awesome!

Furism fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Oct 20, 2019

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Is there a place where I could learn about the basic Orruk tactics? I'm playing a friend tomorrow (he plays Stormcast) and I don't really know what I'm going to do except rush my Brutes into his face. I realize this is Orruk 101, I'm looking for 102-110.

I'm just above total newb when it comes to AoS.

E: My Gore-Grunta unit isn't available (I haven't finished the 3rd model because I was distracted by other models I wanted to paint) so I have two units of Brutes, a Megaboss, a Shaman, a Warpriest, 10 or 15 Ard Boyz and Ironskull's Boyz.

Furism fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Dec 13, 2019

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
So I played first AoS game last weekend! Only a thousand points because I didn't have enough models to reach 2000. I was playing my Orruks against my friend who was playing Stormcast. I was got completely annihilated. We both agreed that it was mostly bad luck on the dice rolls, while he kept rolling 5's and 6's left and right. I did make a crucial tactical mistake though. I sent my Megaboss against his general (a guy one one of these Griffon thing, not sure of the name) because, well, I figured an Orruk would go for the Big'Uns, and sent a unit of Brutes against his Liberators.

Clearly that was a mistake because the Megaboss would have made quick work of the Liberators and gained attacks and wounds in the process, while the Brutes would have got a bonus against the general (because he has 4+ wounds).

Other than that it was really fun to teleport Ard'Boyz behind the enemy lines with Hand of Gork just to gently caress with them.

I think I like this game :)

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Must all the models in the same unit have the same weapon (except maybe for the unit leader) ? Or can half of my Ard'Boyz have a 2 handed weapon and the other half 2x1 handed?

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
I have that old "Grumlok & Gazbag" special edition figurine, back from Warhammer Online got released, that I need to paint. Which got me wondering, what unit would that convert to in AoS? The book with the conversion table doesn't list him specifically. Is he just a Megaboss? That'd be disappointing since he's got a Shaman on his shoulder.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

RagnarokAngel posted:

Yeah since he was a limited release model just proxy him as whatever you want. I think you could argue a megaboss or a weirdnob shaman would be equally appropriate.

Thanks. It's a little bit disappointing that GW didn't make a Warscroll for him (or any limited release models they publish, it seems) though :(

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
How well balanced is Path to Glory? A friend said it's not as good as Pitched Battle profiles when it comes to balance.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

TKIY posted:

Not even close to balanced, but they never really attempted to balance it.

It's just designed to help you build up an army by buying and painting one unit at a time.

Thanks, that was my understanding. Girlfriend is sort of getting into the hobby, she asked if she could paint the "storm guys" so I got her the Stormcast Paint set. If she gets into it and want more models we might start playing Path to Glory. I already have the Shadespire dudes too for her to paint.

Am I correct in assuming that the rules might heavily favor my army, the Ironjawz? Since there are so little different unit types I feel like I could get the synergies going more easily than a player with an army (like the Stormcast) with a much larger unit pool?

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
I'm reaching the end of the Realmgates War book series. Is there a follow up to Fury of Gork? I thoroughly enjoyed that one I admit. But I can't find any story after that one that follows Gordrakk, or Zephareclas's search for Gorkamorka on behalf of Sigmar.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
They revealed new Orruk models for Beastgrave. They haven't published the AoS Warscroll yet but it looks like they are a 3-models Brute unit?

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Has anyone picked up this month's White Dwarf? I'm looking for the new Orruk Battalion names in English because my copy is in French.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Psyber Spine posted:

You've got Dakkbad's brawl on pg 24 and Da Bossfist and Moggorz's Rekrootin' Krew on pg 25.

Thanks!

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Dawgstar posted:

Thinking about this as my new Big Waaagh! list.

How dare you not make the Megaboss the General.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Dawgstar posted:

The Maw-Krusha's too scary. People freak when they see it in my experience and I don't want to lose that extra D6 to my Waaagh score so soon.

I was joking of course. But more seriously though, won't you be missing out on Brutish Cunning? It seems to be that Big Waagh armies tend to take at least one because you lose Mighty Destroyers ability.

It's a genuine question as a player very new to both AoS and Orruks.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
poo poo. I was planning on painting my Maw-Crusha next but now I'm wondering why not just have more 'Ard Boyz or Pigs? Forgot which Battalion it is but one gives Mighty Destroyers for free to the leader of that Battalion, doesn't it? Maybe make two of these if that fits in 2000 points?

Or maybe I'm overthinking this and two double moves isn't that important. I just love the idea of getting in the face of the enemy asap.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Saint Drogo posted:

the Gloomspite one I think is to tempt people into a squig/troll based army, more appealing (&accessible) than goblin hordes but rn way more expensive.

I sometimes take the Rockgut Troggoth as allies in my Orruk army and they are the loving poo poo. They negate wounds on 5+, can regen D3 wounds on 4+, throw rocks for free and hit like trucks. They are a ton of fun to paint and the box set (not sure about the Start Collecting) comes with no less than 9 heads and each model has two different weapon options.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

CODChimera posted:

My Tempest of Souls and paint set arrived, putting together it now. Is it normal for some of the shoulder guards to have a gap? Kinda wish I did have glue. and green stuff. oh and spraypaint and

Super fun though.

For little gaps you could use Mr Surfacer 500. It works like a charm is might be easier to work with than Green Stuff.

This beautiful green man below had a bad gap where the two halves of the skull connect and now you can't see it at all:

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
I just bought the Stormcast half of the Soul War starter box for 40€ and I'm very happy about this.

I don't have the Battletome but, well, PDF :filez:

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
I'm looking for something very specific that I don't think I can find. I'm looking for the semantic field of Age of Sigmar. I'm looking for the top, say, 100 nouns and adjectives used in that universe. Does anybody know where I can find this, or am I going to write a web crawler and parse some wiki website?

It's for a project.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Pardon my probably stupid question but why isn't the Avatar of Destruction something related to Gorkamorka? (besides a dude who chipped his tooth)

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

They are a very "honest" army in that they don't really have a lot of tricks and rules to remember (not to say you can't do some really sneaky / clever stuff with them once you know the army well)

Orruks Rule #1: ABC. Always Be Chargin'.

I've played only like 5 Warhammer games (I started just before the pandemic ; games against my 6 years old don't count), so I'm a big noob, but I've always had a lot of fun. I had a big "Sauron" moment once where a Megaboss took out like 6 full health Stormcasts (the very tanky ones, forgot the unit's name) on a lucky roll. Sure he got gibbed a minute later by the SCE archers, but who cares, it was glorious and Gorkamorka must have been very pleased.

I find it very fun to play with Orruks because it doesn't matter if you win or lose, if you "play like an Orruk" you're just going to have fun.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Talas posted:

Agreed, they haven't done a very good job at advertising. One of the people doing a Let's Play of this actually called it a rogue-like game and I can see it definitely:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrRpEh0FGcA

Yeah apparently once one of your unit dies it's gone for the whole campaign. You earn a few after missions but once they're gone, they're gone. Which adds a strategic layer I think and that's pretty good.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Devorum posted:

It's absolutely a Roguelike XCOM-like.

Units stay dead if they die, and if your main character dies you have to start the campaign over keeping some of what you earned, but with a completely different map layout and mission-flow.

I'm having a lot of fun with it. My only real complaint is you can only have one campaign going at a time.

I haven't played it myself yet (my unplayed video game stash is even larger than my unpainted mini stash) but I've watched a few friends play. It seems nice, and more like a "Path to Glory" type of campaign which I think works fine for this. No doubt they'll release DLC for extra factions (the absence of Destruction is ridiculous).

But on the topic of video games, I wonder why they never released a proper digital version of any Warhammer (AoS or 40K). I mean the actual war game, where you'd play by the same rules. They could even have a freemium model where if you play for free you only get like basic Stormcast units, and if you spend a little money you get more units or factions. Basically milk the video gamers like they milk the hobby. I don't think it would prevent people from playing the war game, in fact it could bring more people in. And it'd be a great way to try new lists and strategies etc. I realize you can sort of do this with Tabletop Simulator but it looks fiddly and not of very good quality.

I mean they did Blood Bowl in the past, why not do AoS?

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Tulip posted:

I've done a fair amount of this, and it's honestly pretty good.

Oh yeah I have no doubt it's playable, it's not just AAA level I'd want personally. But it sure does fill the "let's try army lists" I mentionned.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
I'm on the fence with the Krulboyz. I don't know that we needed another Orruk faction, I think I would have preferred just an extra clan specialized in "Hit and Run Tactics." And their new, leaner body type is not really working for me - I really like the look of the Ironjawz. People say they are cartoony but isn't everything cartoony in hero scale minis? The Krulboyz really should be called the Uruk-boyz or the Orruk-hai.

But giving them ranged units is really good, that was really missing for Orks. Since they can be in a Big Waagh I think I'll just pick a few of the Bolt Boyz. The Shaman looks neat too.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
It's like how people sometimes spell rouge instead of rogue :shrug:

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
I got my Kragnos box today. It's heavy.

You get like 4 different options for his face, which is pretty nice.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
The Broken Realms: Kragnos campaign is nice but it seems complicated to actually play. I have no idea if that's how it usually works with GW. But for the campaign you need a Sylvaneth Army (including Alarielle), Stormcasts, Cities of Sigmar, Slaneesh, Orruks, Sons of Behemat, Gloomspite, and probably more. Do people usually play these campaigns in clubs/shops?

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

I have to buy a Wardokk for my Ironjawz now I guess. I always preferred the Big Waagh! anyway but it still feels wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Wow, that's some lovely packaging. No foam or paper or anything. But congrats on all the paints! :allears: