Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011

Akalabeth: World of Doom was one of the first CRPG games, created as a side project in 1979 by Lord British himself, Richard Garriott. Then just finishing up high-school, the owner of the ComputerLand he worked at convinced him to package and sell ziplocked copies with art drawn by his mother.

He sold around a dozen copies before one ended up in the hands of California Pacific Computer Company, who immediately flew Garriott and his parents out west to make him a publishing offer of $5 per copy. According to Garriott, they sold 30,000, earning him a cool $150,000 in 1980 dollars.

A lot has been written about Akalabeth's origins and inspirations, notably Garriott's local tabletop Dungeon and Dragons game with his friends, early proto RPGs on PLATO and PDP computers, and the newer Apple II 3D Maze Games. Garriott's Akalabeth was the first to combine the two into a game with a top-down overworld and 3D dungeons filled with monsters.

It's primitive. Real primitive. In plot, in story, in presentation, but for what it does, in a lot of ways it was the first to do so. In playing it we'll see a lot of what evolved into Garriott's later Ultima series, and eventually Akalabeth was retconned into being part of the series directly.

We'll be playing the Apple II version of Akalabeth. The controls are... interesting.

Return for up, forward-slash for down? It made sense with the Apple II keyboard, which lacked up and down arrows.

But on a modern keyboard - or even something like the Apple IIe or IIgs, which had up and down arrows - it's slightly more confusing. That's the first of the big three challenges we're going to face in the game. The second? Food. Yeah, it's one of those games. You need food. Every step you take in the overworld, every ten steps in the underworld, you'll eat 1 food. Run out of food, you die. It's such an important resource that there are enemies who specifically exist to steal half your food, so we'll need to carry a lot with us at all times.

The third major foe that stands before us and victory is mapping. There's no automap, the dungeon graphics aren't sophisticated to be really distinctive, and trap doors abound. While the dungeons aren't big - 9x9 grids - it's really easy to get lost as a result.

So yeah. We need to map.

But on to setup. First thing we need, before we even think about our character, is our lucky number.

What's it do? A lot. This is our random seed for the game, and it'll determine our overworld, dungeon layouts, and even how well our magic works. See, everything resets when you enter a dungeon, including the combat RNG... which means if you cast a spell, the outcome is predictable based on how many rolls the RNG for your "lucky number" has made during that delve.

The real question is, as a mature and responsible adult, do we want to go with the sex number or the drug number? Why not both?

We're also going to choose to play on difficulty 10 (out of 10), because that gives us a slightly different victory screen when we beat the game.

Our second RNG roll gives us a decent statblock.

What do they mean?

After that, we need to decide on which class to play.

Fighters can use any weapons. They can use magical amulets, but the spell cast when they do is entirely random. This makes playing a fighter significantly more difficult.

Mages can't use rapiers or bows, which doesn't sound too bad until you consider that the only other weapons in the games are axes and shields. However, the ability to choose which spell you cast when using an amulet can't be underestimated.

BAD?? is an... interesting spell. Casting it does one of three things - cuts half of your hp, turns you into a toad (reducing all your stats to 3), or turning you into a lizard man (massive stat bonuses). Remember that Lucky Number RNG thing? If you know how many rolls it takes to get a Lizard Man result from the BAD?? spell, you can jump down in a dungeon, burn through X rolls attacking the air, then using the amulet to get the stat boost.

This is (arguably) the best way to play the game, gradually turning yourself into an all powerful lizard god. Semi-all-powerful. Running out of food is easy, no matter how high your stats are. It's not impossible to beat the game without BAD??ing it up, it's just much more of a slog.

Let's go fighter. That way we can make our reptillian apotheosis a little more gradual.

The last thing we need to do is buy our initial equipment.

Our stat roll gave us 20 gold to play with. 1 gold buys 10 food, but remember... the instant we run out of food, we die. It's a countdown that we can buy back up, but never completely negate. So we're going to buy a rapier, a bow and arrow, and spend the rest on food. I'll point out now that this is all the gear the game has to offer - while you can find stuff in chests, there's nothing you can't just buy here.

And that's it. We're set up, ready to play, ready to start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011
Call to Action

I was a child when Prince Mondain slew his father Wolfgang, when he began to walk the land, spreading evil and death. He opened one of his damned pits in our back forty, destroying half our crops, the fell beasts that issued forth destroying the other half. I remember the last of the clean rains, and the first of the blood rains. I became a man in hiding, learning the way of the axe and shadow the way my fathers took to plow and scythe. I knew fear the way they knew prosperity.

When the Champion of the White Light arose to challenge the darkness, I was not initially impressed. He differed from the others that had raised arms only in his foreign origins. Some said he came from another world entirely, but by that time I'd seen so many come and go that it scarcely even seemed to matter. Even after rumors of his continued victories came to the refugee camps, I remained behind as more and more flocked to his banner.

I wish I could say that I was one of his disciples. That I was one of the first. That I'd had more faith. But I was one of the last, present for only that last battle on those blood-soaked plains, there the day that British finally defeated Mondain. I saw him, his sword of light, his steed of red steel, and heard the shriek of the dark lord as he fled.

Akalabeth's Age of Darkness has ended. The Age of Revival has begun.

There is yet work to be done. British - now Lord British, granted half the kingdom out of the people's gratitude - has put forth the call for would-be heroes to serve at his behest. While Mondain has fled, the darkness he spread remains a stain upon Akalabeth. Dungeons lie like festering sores throughout the land. Those who prove their worth in cleansing them will earn themselves a knighthood.

So now I seek his castle, though I've never set foot there myself. Not like I remember how to farm.

That's right, our task is not to defeat the evil overlord, but to mop up after his defeat. Here we are in Akalabeth!

Each screen is a 3 x 3 grid. We're the + in the middle. The five squares shape around us is a town. Directly above us, that X is a dungeon. Down and right, those lines represent impassible mountain.

Not pictured: Lord British's castle, which is a box with an X in it. It's... somewhere... in this 20x20 grid, and our first goal is to find it before we run out of food and starve to death.

Here's how far we got with the 90 food we bought:

I'm using a web-based grid-mapping program for this. I'll use the same when mapping out the dungeons. It's not easy to keep track of where you are given that the play screen is so abstract, so we need to keep focused when mapping to avoid getting lost. Especially when many screens offer no landmarks whatsoever:

We have not, yet, found our castle, and die a horrible starvation death, alone and unmourned. Fortunately, using the same random seed lets us jump back to the same map with the same stats and the same everything, so we can continue to search. It's important to mention here that there are no fights or other encounters on the world map. All our action is underground.

Finally, we find the castle, off in a forgotten corner of the kingdom.

For days I wandered the blood-soaked landscape that used to be a kingdom, past burning villages, corpse-strewn plains, seeing no one but the carrion birds feasting on the leavings of those last savage battles. Though in my mind I know that the danger has passed, that Mondain has been driven from this world, my heart feels the utter stillness with nothing but apprehension. Can Akalabeth recover from the devestation wrought here? Do we even deserve to?

Finally, after nearly a month of desolate searching, I spot it in the distance, the castle of our savior, Lord British. Aside from the guards at the gate who pay me no heed, the interior of the castle is nearly as sparse and empty as the lands it rules over. My feet echo through empty corridors as I find my way to the center of the keep, the throne room of the monarch himself.

I find it hard to gaze upon him and avert my eyes, but his voice booms enough to fill the place, almost louder than I can bear after the silence of my journey.

We need a name. Feel free to offer suggestions.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
One washup running a scam to another. Play as Chris Roberts

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
I second Chris Roberts.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
IIRC, you can just plop down into a dungeon and grind some gold to buy more food before visiting Lord British, so starting gold is no that much of an issue.

eukara
Aug 5, 2014

Do you believe in life after bomb?

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

I second Chris Roberts.

^^^

PenguinSalsa
Nov 10, 2009

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Hmm. Close.

Randy Pitchfork

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011
I liked my lips. "Chris Roberts."

"Dost thou wish for grand adventure?"

Grand adventure. The war with darkness had ravaged the land, lain it in waste, left us, the people of Akalabeth broken and starving, and our new liege Lord British wanted to know if I wished for grand adventure. There was something there in the pomposity of his tone that reminded me of myself, some kinship we shared, some connection between the two of us.

What more could I say? "Yes."

"Good!" He sounded amused. "Thou shalt try to become a knight!"

"A gremlin, your Lordship?" I asked.

"Yes!"

"Which gremlin?"

"Oh," he made a casual gesture. "Really any gremlin will do. The dungeons are filthy with them, down around level six."

So, here we have our first quest, and the basic structure of the game. Lord British tells us to go kill a creature, we head to the dungeons and do so. These creatures aren't special in any way, bosses or mid-bosses, just the typical creatures found on their given level.

Important to note: Every dungeon and town is otherwise identical. Once we've found the castle, there's no real reason to travel too far from it. All we need are the castle, a dungeon, and a town in close proximity to each other. And fortunately just a few squares up from us is a town, and a few squares up from that, the dungeon.

Gremlins, by the way, are awful. They attack not only your hp, but your food, stealing half your supplies with each hit. A great first monster to target.

Gremlins. I'd heard of the fell beasts, mischevious troublemakers all too fond of spoiling a travelers supplies. The nearest dungeon wasn't too far from the castle, but I could easily starve to death if I miscalculated my supplies.

I broke north without delay, passing through one of the small nameless towns that litter this land, and using the coin British had given me to buy just a bit more food.

Two things about Lord British increasing each of our attributes by one. First, it's a fairly isignificant increase. Second, it includes our Gold. So yeah, spending that on food on the way to the dungeon.

I found one of the dungeons only days north of Lord British's castle. He had, I'd learned, other prospective knights out, each delving into their own dank pits, bringing back bounties on whatever creatures our master felt warranted such destruction. It didn't matter what dungeon we descended into. British did not care. So neither would I.

Here it is, our dungeon. And to our right?

Note that our command listing has dropped the idea of cardinal directions for a simpler "forward, left right". Along with the general saminess and lack of details, this makes it very easy to get lost. We're going to have to map... carefully. Making this more difficult is the presence of secret doors - normal looking walls you can just walk right through - and invisible pits that'll drop you down to the next level.

Level 1

The first floor of the dungeon was as quiet and desolate as the lands above had been, my own footsteps and the sputtering of my torch my only companions. I crept the halls with a growing sense of anticipation, clutching the bow that I'd never fired, the rapier that I'd never unsheathed at my side. Where were the foul beasts said to infest these halls? Watching me? Mocking me? Or did they wait further within?

Normally the first level of the dungeon is home to two different sorts of enemies: Skeletons and thieves. Well, as I mapped out the level, I didn't find any of either. For whatever reason, the RNG had blessed me with an entire empty level to tromp around in.

Well, not entirely empty.

Another crate of loot left unattended. Well. Chris Roberts isn't one to leave money on the table. If the fell beasts that haunted these halls couldn't secure their possessions, it wasn't my responsibility to be their financial watchdog. Besides, if I didn't take it, some other adventurer would be along to relieve them of their goods, perhaps even Lord British himself!

As you can see on the map, there are four chests on the level, each containing a few gold, some with weapons. Collecting them all netted me 10 gold, a rapier, axe, magical amulet, and a food. If there was a way to sell the extra weapons I would, but really they're best as backups in case the ones I'm using get stolen. The amulet has its own use.

With no enemies to encounter we can't even grind effectively, so our initial delves are going to be down to the second floor, something that'll be a bit trickier for us.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
How much food should you be bringing with you? With the gremlins and other creatures being able to steal half of it I figure you'd want to carry over 100 at least.

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011
Gremlins are down on the 6th level, so yeah, by the time we work our way down we're going to want to have a ton of food. Most likely we're going to have to make a few trips to explore and map it all out... and to be honest there's not a lot we need to spend our gold on other than food.

So I'll probably pop out, head to the nearest town, spend the gold we've found on food, and come back before heading down to 2.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
Something worth noting is that since the gremlins steal half your food, every theft you want you character to be able to take and keep exploring doubles the amount of food needed.

Anyway, if you want to make the game as easy as possible, get a high starting wisdom. That stat is of highest priority. Gold and hit-points are of low priority, you can remedy a low start of those stats easily enough. The rest can be considered medium priority. I didn't abuse the amulet though, so maybe things change if you do. Still, as long as you get a very good starting wisdom, you can beat this game easily enough even without amulets.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
I poked around at the PC version of this and never really got anywhere. It will be interesting to see it be properly broken.

Is this "no enemies on level 1" status permanent, or will encounters be restocked/redetermined when you leave and return?

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011
Levels "reset" each time you visit, back to their random-seed ordained factory settings. That includes monsters, chests, and general layout.

I wasn't going to break the game too hard initially, but now that we've decided that I'm playing Chris Roberts I'm going to take advantage of everything I possibly can in the most opportunistic way possible.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
My mind leaps at even the concept of a pre 80's computer game, even if its only by one year.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The game had a very limited release in 1979, but it wasn't officially published until 1980.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Tombot posted:

My mind leaps at even the concept of a pre 80's computer game, even if its only by one year.

There were RPGs on mainframe computers all the way back to like 1974. So much of that era of computer RPGs is lost that trying to piece it together now is like archaeology.

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011
One of the objects I'd found in the chests scattered around was a curious looking amulet, obviously magical in origin. I'd heard of these things, spoken of in whispers, strange devices said to unlock the mysteries of the universe to those trained in their use. A wizard with the proper education could use them to fire off bolts of deadly energy, could reshape the world, could make themselves anew.

I was not thusly trained, and in my handling of the artifact accidentally sent off a blast of magic that tore a chunk out of the wall in front of me. Such a weapon! I held the amulet again, focused, and this time it created a trapdoor in the floor with a ladder leading downward. What was different in my first handling and my second, I could not say.

The Magical Amulet item is the interface through which magic is used. Were we playing a wizard instead of a fighter, we would have the choice between four different spells when using an amulet - Ladder Up, Ladder Down, Kill, and BAD??. As a fighter, though, the spell cast is random.

BADD?? further has one of three magical effects - turning us into a toad (reducing all our stats to 3), cutting our hp in half, or turning us into a lizard man with a massive stat boost. This last is obviously the best result, and at our difficulty level of 10, the key to getting anywhere in the game when the first level is empty of easily dispatched skeletons and theives.

So we have a 25% chance of casting the right spell, then a 33% chance of it having the desired effect. And each use might instead cut our hp in half, reduce our stats to 3, or just break our amulet. What would Chris Roberts do?

Cheat. Okay, no, it's not cheating. It's perfectly allowed by the rules of the game. See, the RNG is pretty primitive, so each time we drop down into the dungeon all the rolls are the same for our random seed. This means that the 10th random number is always going to be the same, so that pull on the magic amulet will always give the same result. Different actions use different numbers of random rolls, so we can "burn through" our list of RNG results one at a time by making simple attacks against the empty air, then testing the next result with our amulet.

Tedious? Yeah. But that's 1979 cRPG design for you. Think of this as another layer of mapping. It's not cheating, though, it's simply taking advantage of our understanding of the system, as befits our brave warrior Chris Roberts.

So. We exit. Buy some food at the town to our south, return, and A)ttack with our M)agic Amulet...

poo poo. Worst possible result. All our stats (save hp and gold) have been reduced to 3. No big deal, when we get our Lizard result it'll more than make up for it. It's probably easier just to save-scum, but you have your choice. So we jump out of the dungeon, jump back down to reset the RNG, make an attack against the empty air to increment the RNG and... cast ladder down.

Up, down, two attacks, cast: Ladder up.

I felt a change come over me, as if my skin was tightening, my muscles bulging, my eyes growing more suited to the darkness. I might have imagined it, but my teeth felt sharper as well, when flicked with my tongue. The amulet had changed me, this time, and I felt filled with potent energy. Was this the true power of the amulet?

Many tries later, we hit Lizard Man, and our stats jump way the hell up.

We now know that if we jump into the dungeon and attack the empty air 19 times, then use our amulet, we get a massive permanent stat boost. We could use this to boost ourselves into the hundreds or even thousands fairly easily, but for now we're going to boost ourselves just enough to handle whatever the game throws at us.

Enough flailing away at the air in front of us. It's time to delve some dungeon.

Level 2

You'll notice on the map above the tiny lower central room whose door seems to be embedded in the wall? It's a secret door. Looks just like a regular wall, only way to find it is to walk through it. And the only reason I suspected that it was there was because of the empty space on the map. I'll also note, here, that doors are often one-way, in that they look like doors from one direction, but normal halls from the other side. This makes it even easier to get lost, and a bit trickier to map.

Scarcely had my foot touched the floor when I felt something massive and furry collide with my leg. There was a scrabbling and a scratching that tore through my clothes, and I brought the hilt of my rapier down on the head of what I at first assumed to be a large dog. The creature squealed and ran, and almost as if by reflex I brought my bow to the fore and finished it off with a single arrow.

Though it lay still, I approached cautiously and saw it to be a rodent of unusual size, grown fat and strong feeding on the evil down here. Even more unusual, the creature had several gold coins. How had it come by them? What did it use them for? How had it been carrying them before now?

Mysteries abound.

We jump on down to level 2, and we're confronted with our first monster: a giant rat.

A slight noise drew my attention, and I found myself face to face with the most generic of foes: the dreaded orc.

We go to town with our rapier, but even with our boosted stats we miss maybe half the time, and it takes a few shots to kill the creature. While we're fighting it, we get the message that we're also being attacked by an orc. Turning to our right:

He's about as tough, and there's a second one behind him. Those are the two types of creatures native to level 2, Orcs and Giant Rats. And there's a few clustered by the entrance, so every time we come on down we'll face those three monsters right away.

We commence with the mapping, and soon enough run into this guy:

Every turn he's close enough, the Thief will steal either a food from us or one of our other items. Fortunately it's just the one food, and he's pretty easy to kill. But let this be our warning; each level two new monsters will be introduced, but we can still run into weaker creatures.

After we've had the chance to wander around and map out the level, we head back up to the surface to resupply, and when we do, get the reward for all those monsters we've killed.

While Akalabeth is heavily inspired by Dungeons and Dragons, there's no levels or experience points; you just get hp when you leave, depending on what you killed, and for us that was a giant rat, two orcs, and two thieves. This is also the only way we can heal ourselves, so hp are an ever dwindling pool that can only be recovered by loving off back to the surface, or using our magical amulet to boost all our stats.

We've got the gold for another 520 food and not much else to spend it on, so let's see if we can't get a good map of levels 3 and 4 in one go before we tackle the gremlins and the first bounty for Lord British.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

thanks for playing this and discussing the history around it, i don't have anything to add but i'm enjoying learning

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011
Level 3

The next floor is as quiet as the first, deafeningly so compared to the fury and blood of the floor between them. I wonder again at the silence, at the stillness, if I had just happened to choose a particularly deserted dungeon to clear out - or were they all like this with Mondain's death? Was the Age of Darkness truly at an end?

Surprisingly we find ourselves in another empty level. A few chests scattered around, that's it. No enemies. I don't really remember the game well enough to know if this is a common occurrence, or some quirk of the random seed we're using.

I worry, momentarily, that I will find no gremlins in the lower levels to satisfy the demands of Lord British, but push that fear out of my mind. Such a development would make this entire endeavor entirely meaningless, and surely the Champion of White Light would not set me on such a task?

Level 4

No need to worry about an empty level 4, because as soon as we get off the ladder we run into our first skeleton.

Skeletons are level 1 enemies but this is the first we've run into, and it's surprisingly difficult to kill, running off after we get a few solid hits. Enemies get stronger as we descend, not only more dangerous types, but each individual monster gets a big boost.

Given the struggle to kill just the one weakest monster in the game... seeing as we skipped a whole level of ramped up difficulty, we're not really ready to face a whole level of tough monsters. So we're going to take the trip back up and out to get our hp reward for all the killin', buy some more food, and amulet our way to lizard power.

We make our way through the winding corridors of level 3, and through the monster-filled halls of level 2. It's a little obnoxious how well the Thieves are able to kite us, ducking in to steal something and then running away again - one of them stole our bow, so we have nothing to shoot them with once they disengage. Improving our stats will enable us to one-hit them.

We emerge on the world map and are rewarded with 195 hp for our troubles.

Back to town, we buy 5 bows just to forestall having them all stolen from us, and have enough gold left over for quite a bit of food. Back to the dungeon, flail around a bit, then whip out our magic amulet.

That's 710 hp and 1975.9 food, but our stats have improved dramatically. The monsters' difficulty curve ramps up so quickly, and without our lizard trick there's no way to improve our base stats without completing quests... I can only imagine the tedium of trying to get down to level 6 to kill a gremlin with stats in their 20s at most.

Back to Level 4

Our improved stats let us breeze through level 2's enemies, one-shotting everything we come across. We find orcs, skeletons, and thieves on level 4, and we're able to two shot them. No new enemies, though, which is odd. Lots of oddness with our random seed. Normally we'll find Vipers down here.

Note, too, that we're seeing longer corridors here, unbroken by doors obscuring our vision.

This is the full length of the level, giving us an idea of scope. It remains dreadfully easy to get lost.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
I reinstalled the PC version of this from GOG on a whim and discovered that the RNG isn't actually consistent in that version.

You do get a fixed RNG seed from your lucky number at the very beginning, but if you die and restart from the same lucky number without restarting the entire program, you get different stats and a different world map.

Even within the same game, the dungeon seems to have a different layout on different visits, which renders mapping useless except to the extent that it lets you plot your path back to the surface if you are a fighter and thus cannot spam Ladder-Up spells.

It also ships with what appears to be the source code (in BASIC!) for the game. However, it seems to be a slightly nonstandard dialect somewhere between the two ones I remember for DOS.

I wonder if their BASIC compiler didn't properly reseed the RNG after the first time the program asked to, or if the source code was modified before publication.

Damanation
Apr 16, 2018

Congratulations!

I appreciate the RNG manipulation. It seems like something Steve the Avatar would do.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
I beat the game without using the Magic Amulet. It took some grinding, but not that much IIRC, definitely nothing compared to what you see in say Diablo like games. You dive down to the lowest gremlin free level where you can still fight enemies somewhat comfortable. Then you grind HP there. Once you have enough HP, go down to the relevant level, kill the quest objective and then get out ASAP.

I wonder how much the starting stats really matter now. Considering how much it takes to one-shot enemies, I wonder if having 20 instead of 10 in a stat makes a significant difference.

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

Crystalgate posted:

I beat the game without using the Magic Amulet. It took some grinding, but not that much IIRC, definitely nothing compared to what you see in say Diablo like games. You dive down to the lowest gremlin free level where you can still fight enemies somewhat comfortable. Then you grind HP there. Once you have enough HP, go down to the relevant level, kill the quest objective and then get out ASAP.

I wonder how much the starting stats really matter now. Considering how much it takes to one-shot enemies, I wonder if having 20 instead of 10 in a stat makes a significant difference.

If HP is all you can grind, the intended way to solve the game can't really have been anything other than "get your HP so high you can tank a ton of hits and wear down what you need to kill". The Lizardman is clearly intended to just be a bonus you can luck into by chance, and comes across as a very strange design choice.

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011

ManxomeBromide posted:

I reinstalled the PC version of this from GOG on a whim and discovered that the RNG isn't actually consistent in that version.

You do get a fixed RNG seed from your lucky number at the very beginning, but if you die and restart from the same lucky number without restarting the entire program, you get different stats and a different world map.

Even within the same game, the dungeon seems to have a different layout on different visits, which renders mapping useless except to the extent that it lets you plot your path back to the surface if you are a fighter and thus cannot spam Ladder-Up spells.

It also ships with what appears to be the source code (in BASIC!) for the game. However, it seems to be a slightly nonstandard dialect somewhere between the two ones I remember for DOS.

I wonder if their BASIC compiler didn't properly reseed the RNG after the first time the program asked to, or if the source code was modified before publication.

Yeah, I believe the original was written in Applesoft BASIC, with the DOS port coming in the late 90s? Either way, I'm glad I'm playing the Apple II version. Without mapping playing as a fighter would be a bit too much tedium for me.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

just posting so you know there's still at least one human in the world who would read your effort and appreciate it. please carry on with whatever makes you happy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

oystertoadfish posted:

just posting so you know there's still at least one human in the world who would read your effort and appreciate it. please carry on with whatever makes you happy

Was reading and enjoying, got lost in the press when it fell off the front page. I'm interested in seeing where this goes if you come back.

• Locked thread