Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

If you've ever wanted a modern take on Destruction Derby or Flatout then Wreckfest is probably for you. It consists of racing events and destruction derbies. It's been in development for probably five years with most of thatt being in early access and it's finally finished.
As racing games go it's a bit bare bones. It only features 24 cars + some gimmicks like a lawnmower and 22 tracks with some having variations. All in all it's not bad but don't expect Forza or GT.
On the other hand what it does have is an insane physics engine. Both parts of the cars and courses will crumple or go flying in spectacular ways. Best of all, if a car gets taken out by a hit to the front there's a good chance the driver will ragdoll out the window and splat you. It's easily one of the most impressive pieces of tech I've seen in a long time.
The gameloop consists of either tournaments in single player or races in multi. Either will give you credits that let you buy new cars and upgrades. Again, pretty bare bones but fine as is. You can customize your cars both mechanically and visually and there is some tuning. This isn't quite an arcade racer but far from any sim. I wish there where more skins to modify but at least the game has Workshop support and there's a ton of stuff there. You can easily make your jalopy look like a classic Nascar or The General Lee.

The point when I realised just how much I dig this was at the start of my first MP race. The host had enabled the use of every vehicle so two guys had picked school busses. Once we started they immediately parked sideways and there was only a tiny glip to pass through. Then they started driving back and forth. Such carnage.
I was laughing my rear end off the whole time at this masterful trolling and somehow never hit them and got fifth.
Needless to say, if you're the type of person who takes your driving games very seriously it might not be for you but everyone will have fun as hell.

Performance is fine on my end. With a 980ti it runs 1080P at 60FPS without a single drop. I'm using a plugged in DS4 and other than having to map all the controls like it's 1998 it works perfectly.

So yeah, this is easily a game I recommend. It's a bit pricey for what you get but you can only blame yourself for not getting it while it was cheaper during early access. It's also coming to PS4 and Bone in November but God knows how those versions will run with all the smashy stuff going on.

I would post some pictures and stuff but all you really need is the chatty launch trailer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbsDiIuI7KQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euthy
Sep 26, 2007

May you and your family live without suffering, but for the rest... Thanks for not breeding VHEMT
Grimey Drawer
Can you pretend to be dead in derby and wait for everyone to trash each other?

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
No because opponents can see a health bar under your name until you're dead.
Also most of the derbies sorta follow the actual rules. It's not about surviving the longest but scoring hits and kills. Obviously there is no restriction on hitting the driver's side.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just started the career last night and after writing it off in EA I must say I loving love it now. I love the career mode which starts you off in a lawnmower deathmatch, and it made me wanna buy a racing wheel as I missed a good "rubbing is racing" game so much.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Rubbing is for losers.

I just got banned from a clean server. When I randomly joined I figured what the hell and tried to play nice. Halfway into the second lap I see a car in front of me flipping into the sky and then someone PIT'd me. After that I didn't give a gently caress and got tossed out right before the finish line.
In any other game I'd be pissed but it was funny as hell that they kept an open server and then expected people to play by the rules in this of all games.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Any of you out there who used to play the original FlatOut games by Wreckfest devs Bugbear Entertainment may be interested in hearing that Wreckfest has the Crash Alley track (renamed Crash Canyon) and you can race on it with 25 cars. :getin:

For those of you who didn't play the original FlatOut games, you should go play the original FlatOut games because they're awesome. Anyway, Crash Alley/Canyon is a big dirt chute with hairpin turns at each end so you have cars going both ways on the straight... without any barriers separating the lanes. The chaos was absolutely glorious even with eight cars, and now there's 25 going around the track.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jun 15, 2018

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I had no idea what you was describing til I fired it up again and looked for Crash Canyon. That utter vile bastard of a track.

It's like you take any Nascar track, but you pinch the straights together. And also there's a bunch of jumps and it's all dirt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTinnduAd_g

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
poo poo, I really need to start playing online I guess.

• Locked thread