Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
What's the best order for the DLC? Should I just play all the main game, then Hearts of Stone, then Blood and Wine? Or should I complete all the DLC before finishing the main game? I'm only level 20 and haven't left Novigrad yet so I have a ways to go before Hearts of Stone is even an option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

MeatwadIsGod posted:

What's the best order for the DLC? Should I just play all the main game, then Hearts of Stone, then Blood and Wine? Or should I complete all the DLC before finishing the main game?

blood and wine definitely feels like a post game type thing, hos you can do whenever are you man enough to gently caress around in oxenfurt doing dlc while everything in ht e main game goes to poo poo

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

MeatwadIsGod posted:

What's the best order for the DLC? Should I just play all the main game, then Hearts of Stone, then Blood and Wine? Or should I complete all the DLC before finishing the main game? I'm only level 20 and haven't left Novigrad yet so I have a ways to go before Hearts of Stone is even an option.

i went main game > hearts of stone > blood and wine and it felt natural. hos and baw felt like self-contained experiences.

warning though, if you're playing on the hardest setting hearts of stone bosses will kick your loving rear end and actually make you learn how to fight using more than quick attack.

drat every time i see this thread i want to start up again but i haven't got another 200 hours laying around

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Now that I actually have some good cards gwent is fun as hell

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

lol the author of the Witcher books is asking for 16 million bucks from cdpr

https://www.cdprojekt.com/en/investors/regulatory-announcements/current-report-no-15-2018/

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

dude thought the games were gonna be poo poo and asked for cash up-front

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I mean it was like 1997 and any chance of making a hit videogame series based on Polish fantasy was absolute zero, so I can't blame him for taking the money. Hell even now it took them 3 games to finally get it right

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Wonder how many books the games sold.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

tao of lmao posted:

Hopefully zero.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I bought and read the whole series after beating 3 lol

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

I bought and read the whole series after beating 3 lol

I kinda want to do this

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

net cafe scandal posted:

Hopefully zero.

Why?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

I kinda want to do this

You should, they're good.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah I don’t usually care for fantasy novels at all but I had a good time with this series. I think I’m going to reread them all before my eventual replay of TW3 to make sure I catch all the references, since basically all the references to past events aside from Roche are actually from the books and not the other games.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

the author of the series is an extremely angry old man who looks exactly like the Bloody Baron.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

there are maybe two pictures of him smiling in all of existence

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

He's just grumpy and needs a nap.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

goferchan posted:

He's just grumpy and needs a nap.

Meh.. perhaps.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Bicyclops posted:

the author of the series is an extremely angry old man who looks exactly like the Bloody Baron.

There’s a cool quote from some interview with him where he says that at the time he started writing the short stories that would eventually become The Witcher, fantasy was a genre for “stupid children who don’t know how to masturbate correctly” and I think about it every time Amazon recommends me The Basilisk Chronicles: Rise of the Oathbreakers of Zel’juan or whatever

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

There’s a cool quote from some interview with him where he says that at the time he started writing the short stories that would eventually become The Witcher, fantasy was a genre for “stupid children who don’t know how to masturbate correctly” and I think about it every time Amazon recommends me The Basilisk Chronicles: Rise of the Oathbreakers of Zel’juan or whatever

lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lmao

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

lmao

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Bicyclops posted:

He's actually a jolly guy that jokes a lot during interviews (all the humor in games comes from the way he wrote the books) but then they're translated into English as if they were official statements recited from a podium.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

lol he is an actual Velen peasant, it owns.

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

maybe he should've had more faith in his polish brethren

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Vinny read the books and enjoyed them fwiw

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

tao of lmao posted:

The games are the only reason the books sell anywhere outside of the slavosphere

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Plutonis posted:

The games are the only reason the books sell anywhere outside of the slavosphere

Yeah I figured as much, and wonder if the dude is considering that in his demand for cash. Like bruv, you’re getting a netflix show out of the deal and are more relevant now than ever. Sorry you made a bad decision 10 years ago, but things could be a lot worse.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

I mean it was like 1997 and any chance of making a hit videogame series based on Polish fantasy was absolute zero, so I can't blame him for taking the money. Hell even now it took them 3 games to finally get it right

even though witcher 2 was kind of lovely i remember it being a phenomenon that broke all sorts of sales records, so he's probably been boiling about this for a long time now lol. but yeah the games are the only reason anyone knows this guy's name

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I'm sure he can still jump in a giant vault filled with zloty and swim in it if he wants, i'm not worried about him.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

In Witcher 1 entire dialogue passages were lifted from in-book Yen and given to in-game Triss. Now somebody has to pay for those crimes, team Yen doesn't forget.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

GraveVideos posted:

(all the humor in games comes from the way he wrote the books)

The Time of Contempt is the only book I can recall laughing out loud at.

“‘Geralt, my respects come from the bottom of my heart...’

Geralt, refraining from telling Dijkstra his respect came from the heart of his bottom, shook the proffered hand.”

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

GraveVideos posted:

In Witcher 1 entire dialogue passages were lifted from in-book Yen and given to in-game Triss. Now somebody has to pay for those crimes, team Yen doesn't forget.

:yeah:

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

I didnt read the books before I played the game but triss seemed annoying to me so I picked yen

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

net cafe scandal posted:

Meh.. perhaps.

Just wanted to check in, hope you're feeling better man.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Neurotic Roleplay posted:

I didnt read the books before I played the game but triss seemed annoying to me so I picked yen

the voice actor in the third game sounds like she's reading the lines off a page for the first time and she had no personality, so i also picked yen.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

goferchan posted:

Just wanted to check in, hope you're feeling better man.

Lets just say tomorrow’s another day.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

triss sux

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
The Witcher main novel series kind of drags for the most part (although I liked the second one, Time of Contempt) but the short story compilations, The Last Wish and The Sword of Destiny, are both definitely worth reading.

As for Sapkawski, his books probably wouldn't have been translated outside of Eastern Europe if not for the games, and he knows that. He's salty...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I never even played the card game in this but I had a dream I was playing it last night. Wtf.

• Locked thread