Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
:cheerdoge: :cheerdoge:

This thread is a week-long high score competition for Tapper, the first game to enter the Imp Zone Arcade
Post a screenshot of a score and I'll edit it into the second post Leaderboard, keep posting scores and after one week - on June 27th the official Imp Zone Arcade Tapper Leaderboard is compiled.

1st Place gets the Imptender Award, the choice of the next game to enter the Imp Zone Arcade, and their username forever enshrined next to Tapper in the Imp Zone Arcade

2nd - 4th Place receive the Impaholic Award, & permanent bragging rights...a true Tapper

There's an in-browser version on Archive.Org
https://archive.org/details/arcade_tapper

and here's a guide 2 playing the game in MAME

Mame Guide posted:

1) Download Mameui ( http://www.mameui.info ) & extract it

2) Download Tapper ROM (Specifically Budweiser Tapper not Rootbeer) [can't link...illegal]

3) Put the Tapper Rom in the "ROM" folder of extracted MAMEUI, (do NOT extract the Tapper rom)

4) Start up MAMEUI & click -File - Audit All Games or just press "F5" (should see percentage at the bottom as it searches for roms)

5) Once complete Tapper should show up in the "Available" section under "T410 test suite" or if you search "Tapper" in the top-right search bar

6) Double Click it and you're all done! Press "Tab" to open up MAME settings within the game if you need to remap controls or anything

Default Controls: 5 and 6 Insert Coins, 1 starts the game, Arrow Keys move and Control does everything else.

This is the MAME guide I used, has instructions for joystick stuff too: https://fantasyanime.com/emuhelp/mame
& This is a MAME guide for performance issues
http://wiki.mamedev.org/index.php/FAQ:Performance

Get tappin!

Hat Thoughts fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Jun 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

1) b_mitch: 37,000,023 (No longer IZ verified)

1) Xbox Ambassador: 90,035 (No longer IZ verified)

1) Wormskull: 84,392 (No longer IZ verified)

1) Hat Thoughts: 66,175

2) mysterious loyall X: 60,575

3) elf help book: 53,500

4) mycophobia: 51,975

5) Kongming: 45,925

6) skull wall: 40,425

7) In training: 39,750

Hat Thoughts fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jun 28, 2018

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
And here's my first score, very beatable

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Lol

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT BEING THE BIGGEST CRYBABY ON THE FORUMS

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

Will make my attempt tonight

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

Wearing my helmet to play tapper

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Xbox Ambassador posted:

Wearing my helmet to play tapper

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002
MODS??? MODS????????

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

HolePisser1982 posted:

MODS??? MODS????????

Lol

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
:twisty:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Tapper ftw.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

Mods... please make this my avatar lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Let's all get doge avatars for the summer.

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Doge + Xbox

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

Lol

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

are there any mod sanctioned online versions i can play instead of downloading a bunch of emulators onto my computer at work?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

trying to jack off posted:

are there any mod sanctioned online versions i can play instead of downloading a bunch of emulators onto my computer at work?
I haven't tried this but it should work: https://archive.org/details/arcade_tapper

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Got 31k but I'm gonna try to get it higher before submitting my score.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
it still kind of blows my mind that archive.org has so many emulated games. it's legitimately awesome.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
When I was younger I used to play Midway Arcade Treasures all the time & with my dad a lot too, Tapper was one of my favorites on there (along with Joust, Rampart, 720, and Marble Madness) playing it now for the first time in forever it's really impressive how it nails that arcade design of a very strong/simple loop that reveals more nuance the more you play...great stuff.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Do you guys play for tips or do you try to just clear levels as fast as possible.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

i usually just try to pass time as fast as possible until its time to clock out

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

In Training posted:

Do you guys play for tips or do you try to just clear levels as fast as possible.

I'll definitely run after tips but generally I try to empty rows because I always get wrecked trying 2 catch empty glasses

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

60575 is my best score so far its cool that this game saves the score table in mame, a lot of games wont. BUT it doesn't show it except when you game over and only if you got a top 10 score oops

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

I haven't tried this but it should work: https://archive.org/details/arcade_tapper

no matter what i try this gets stuck on the loading machine screen and its pissing me off

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Done.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
IZ Arcade Bonus Material: Tapper's US Patent: " VIDEO GAME IN WHICH A HOST IMAGE REPELS RAVENOUS IMAGES BY SERVING FILLED VESSELS"

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Anyone against me extending this for another week?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

imho OP, while I genuinely do appreciate the effort of running a competition, I think an Imp Zone Arcade thread would work better as just a compilation of all the Imp high scores for these classic games, without a time limit. Like a forum wide high score screen that people can post their scores to whenever

• Locked thread