Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

looks like they finally got around to evicting my dil alts from old DS9.

Also each one of htem crashes the game to desktop when I try to log in. It tries to auto-beam them to space then hard crashes. Lol cryptic.

(also I had no idea this thread was re-launched - that explains why you were all so quiet).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

the "great" thing

It was a pretty OK wrap up for the story but yeesh I just sat there and surfed the internet on my phone while periodically tabbing to give my auto-firing dude a new target.

It was especially glaring given the high quality of the previous missions. The ferengi mission was genuinely great and fun and the hurq planet mission was pretty cool tool

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

hey - when's that event coming out for the admiralty card? The one involving the end of some youtube show or something that I'd never heard of.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

CommaToes posted:

I've played this game a few times, but never gotten really far in it. Is it a good experience FTP?

I'm considering coming back, but not sure if I want to fed or rom/fed.

It's fun. You can do all the story content FTP no problem.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

How long is it chilling there?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

why'd they auto-ban him?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Coq au Nandos posted:

T6 Reps unlocking ship traits might be interesting, if they went down that route.

No way they’re giving ship traits on something that doesn’t cost zen, either directly or via lockbox keys.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Try to open the second one. Nothing will happen you’ll just have to trash it.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

fakemirage posted:

I hadn't bothered opening the doff reward box until now.

:eyepop: I did not expect that, nor that you can only slot this space specific guy as a ground doff.

He's an account unlock, so you can grab him on your other characters after grinding him out on your Jem.

EDIT:
https://clips.twitch.tv/RoughYawningCrocodileTebowing

Well gently caress time to get back to boff grinding my jimmy jam.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

MikeJF posted:

e Mk13/UR unlock.

What’s this?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

So what's going on with Age of Disco? Is there anything that I absolutely need to jump in now because there's some event limited crew or other BS, or can I keep putting off jumping back in?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Is that absurdly over-powered fed ship overpowered compared to T6 poo poo, or is it a nice leveling ship up through T4?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

FuturePastNow posted:

y (and probably voice acting) that they just threw away.

This is the real shame

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Lol there is nothing of interest on there beyond the disco part 2. The winter event is just assumed at this point.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

What's the exchange sitting at? Cashed out at a brief peak of 280-something, wondering if I should og in to go zen-heavy again.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Is the winter event live? If it is is it too late to get started and get the ship?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Holy gently caress I haven't logged in for maybe six months and holy poo poo things are dead. I've never seen this few people.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

g0del posted:

The ViL expansion last summer was really good, and brought us some of the best missions the game has ever seen. Good thing they decided to abandon it after a month and go all in on the super popular discovery content. It's really paying off for them.

Oh yeah, I played ViL. Loved it, it was easily the best content this game has gotten in an expansion. Maybe the best content period.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Apparently STO wants to help you adopt a tard

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11017413-welcome-to-the-tardigrade-adoption-agency!

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

g0del posted:

Even ww seems quieter this year. I haven't seen anyone skating on the lake just for fun this year, and it's been ridiculously easy to get epohh tags because so few people are running the race for them. Also, that old bug when two people try to start the winter race at the same time and one gets auto-disqualified and has to get the mission again? They seem to have fixed it by making the game so unpopular that you'll never see two people trying to run the race at the same time anymore.

Yeah, I did my run last night at about 8pm EST and it was a loving graveyard. Maybe saw 5 people. That's not great for solidly after work in over half the US.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Coq au Nandos posted:

It doesn’t. There’s a scene in the final where Mirror Gorgeau fucks two of them, from memory.

I still can't believe they went mirror universe so early. It's a fun little thing that works best as a nice diversion from whatever the main plot is where you can do crazy poo poo and show beloved characters do wildly out of character poo poo without consequences. Want to explode a slave driver Odo and see what the effects department comes up with! Go for it! Want Quark to be running some kind of underground railroad because he's a really awesome, caring dude? Sure. Hyper-sexualized (by the standards of prime time) Kira hitting on herself in what can only be described as fan service raised to an art form? Sisko banging Dax? Why not, everyone will go home at the end of the episode and maybe we'll pick up this thread in a season and a half if we need another breather from the Dominion or whatever.

What it isn't is something to hang your main loving plot on. It just makes everything feel dumb because it's the biggest, dumbest deus ex machina ever. "oh, that was EVIL Character_we_are_supposed_to_care_about!" It just sucks the stakes out of everything.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

MREBoy posted:

found via reddit:

:stonkhat: :stonk: :distonk: :stonklol:

Post it was in was from a pub & was titled "is it possible to break 1K damage with any beam weapon?" I wonder how long it took to get that thing to its final mastery unlock. I bet it's people like this that keep Cryptic afloat.

Honesty it doesn’t take that much time. Back after VIL I was doing a single tholian or borg or whatever the ship exp grind was under the old queue system a day and iirc I got two of them unlocked before I got bored and just stopped even logging in to refine dill. I want to say I was getting a ship from zero to max in about two or three weeks at that pace.

It would be hell to just grind but if you did five minutes of pew pew a day it wasn’t any worse than logging in for a holiday event or whatever. Same time commitment and you get an account wide ship at the end of about the same number of days.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Asimo posted:

Yeah the ultimate irony is that it would have probably done great if they just stayed partnered with Netflix in the US rather than trying to do their own drat service. But gotta get all the money for themselves I guess.

I really, really hope this becomes a cautionary tale about how paid streaming exclusives are loving retarded if you don't already have a big service to backstop it. HBO gets away with it because it's H B loving O and even then they had to make a cheaper version for the streamers to cut back on the rampant piracy. Oh, and they had a cable subscription model that more or less paid the bills so that's something too.

I share an office with a giant goddamned trek nerd. We've had way too many conversations about dumb trek poo poo. He watched the first episode on CBS, thought it looked interesting, then never bothered because he didn't want to shell out for a streaming service. He figured he would just buy the seasons as they came out on DVD or iTunes or whatever. I suspect there are a lot of people like that.

A new trek with modern special effects and a modern story pacing (i.e. not bottle episodes) should have done at least OK even if it was all in all kind of mediocre. We can bitch about tards and nu-klingons and JJ Trek grimdark and spock's sister he never talked about ever but is totally important to the family all day long, but at the end of the day people would be watching it if it was on broadcast and/or free streaming with ads.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Cythereal posted:

The Anniversary event giveaway has begun. Right now it's just a uniform hardly anyone will probably ever use, but past anniversary giveaways have included stuff up to z-store ships, so anyone who's interested in the game may want to grab the free goodies.

Where are you seeing it? ALl I saw in the promotions tab was a few dil mining things. Couldn't find it in the uniforms.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

So what's the end goal of doing these personal endeavors? Yes I'm too lazy to dig through the official documentation.

Is it just another bag of semi-worthless poo poo like the regular endeavors?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Does he have tac consoles? Pic isn’t loading on my phone. Not even the spire ones just the regular ones. That stacking buff goes a long way.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Kovalian posted:

Thanks (to everyone that posted)! I've just fixed up most of my officer slots and started the process of upgrading my gear. All but one of my beam weapons are Mk14 now (one even made it to Ultra Rare), which is a start. It occurs to me that I should probably farm Omega molecules, but :effort:

Just to clarify, are you suggesting Beta II or Omega I (for Lt Cdr Tac)?

I've got two: an Automated Defense Turret and a Phaser Relay (Mk12).

Looking at my account, I think I'll have enough Zen to buy a T6 ship soon-ish. Is the Arbiter a good pic, or have things moved on since the OP? I notice the Paladin can be had for 1400 in the pack at the moment, even if it looks kinda ugly.

arbiter's super solid.

Ditch the defense turret and drop on another phaser relay. Get rid of the torps and add more phasers. Circle strafe your enemies to death.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Bootcha posted:

The hell is Lobi stuff?

A pantomime of end stage capitalism presented through a monopolistic ferengi consortium that is depicted in game as about as trustworthy and straight dealing as a bunch of carnival barkers.

The fact that it is legit how they monitize the whales makes it either satire and performance art on a truly masterful level or rule 34 crystallized in its most perfect form.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

It's also worth noting that the enemy scaling is suuuuuper broken in a lot of the old missions. I had a klingon alt that was max level from boffing and admiralty that I decided to go through the campaign with for shits and giggles and it was basically impossible. T6 ship, decent weapons, good enough build, and it was just vaporized in seconds by the bullshit that you're supposed to curb stomp as a lvl 1

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

It's this:

DancingShade posted:

Punters want Enterprises, Defiants and stuff because they liked the old shows. STD is basically a bomb so the purchase demand of STD in-game products is simply going to be that much lower.

Look at how amazingly popular the DS9 expansion was with the players and how much of a wet fart the Disco stuff was. Completely independently of the actual quality of the content, people were just happy to have more stories involving the DS9 locations, DS9 crew, and DS9 voice actors. They also managed to fold it into the tzenkethi poo poo in a way that actually worked, which retroactively made the whole Lukari arc more interesting. Oh, and in doing so they slotted the whole thing into a neat little rare niche of ST lore that wasn't explored to death by a TV show or a movie or a bunch of awful books. It massively filled out the Klingon lore using a few small hooks from basically one episode of DS9 where worf finds a sword. Looked at from a stand point of doing good fan service while also not freaking out the suits at CBS it threaded a needle really cleverly. Oh, and it all involves all the fans' favorite series and favorite setting.

It wasn't a masterpiece, but it was just good old fashioned fun fan service. That's what the community wants at this point and that's not a bad thing. It was refined nostalgia snorted off convention cosplay titties.

Then, right on the heels of what was probably the best direction they'd taken this thing in since basically forever . . . they have to go balls deep on a property that's controversial at best with the kind of trek fans who are into it enough to play an MMO. Worse, it's a story that a lot of people are simply indifferent to since they just aren't watching it due to CBS on deman.
Even ignoring that aspect it's a story that's still being told with characters that we're still getting to know. No one does an embarrassingly dorky "OOOH" when they see the back of Tilly's head and then hear her voice. Major Kira? Odo? Even loving Nog? Yeah, you're going to get that. Not even because the characters and the stories they were in are that much better than disco (they are) but because they're a beloved thing.

I'm sure some CBS exec though this was going to drive engagement with Disco and get people to watch it, but really it's just driving what few people still bother logging into STO away.

So, yeah, that's why they're having trouble moving a bunch of un-iconic new ships from a show that only some people watch and a lot of people, rightly or wrongly, actively despise. Look at how well the Jem Hadar and Cardassian poo poo sold when the DS9 stuff landed. If they were running season 3 of a DS9 arc and offering up some lockbox T6 defiant they probably wouldn't be having these issues.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Coq au Nandos posted:

They are taking a hard turn as of the Disco episode that dropped two weeks ago. They even have hair again.

Lol, really? How did they explain that? Were all the other klingons just shaving?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Cythereal posted:

Yes. The official explanation is that Klingons shave their heads when at war.

Please ignore the plot holes this creates.

I . . . . . what?

:psyduck:

I mean, the obvious explanation would be "those dudes were extremists who were part of this group that shaved their heads because ~honor~ ~warrior~ ~fanatic~ reasons and these other klingons don't because they aren't extremists"

That's, like, some really obvious low hanging retcon fruit there.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Kovalian posted:

Looks like it's not just the DSC pack that's on sale; individual pieces are all 30% off, too.

The Gagarin looks pretty tempting to me, seems fairly evenly matched with an Arbiter. Maybe a little slower to turn, but will this be noticeable in practice? I really hated the Galaxy for being an almost immoveable bucket.

stack some maneuverability consoles.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Hunter Noventa posted:

I assume that means having to buy master keys off the exchange then? Or are these boxes different somehow?

They’re different. It’s an event they run about four or five times a year. You get one box a day and can buy other for dil.

They also hold events maybe three times a year that give a free T6 z store ship. We’re just finishing one now.

If you want a z store ship just grind dil and use that to buy zen. Set up some dil farming alts too. The real way to get dil in this game is via the admiralty system. Getting an alt to 50 to take advantage of that is easy - just make a Jem hadar. There are a handful of useful admiralty ships you can get easy too. One freebee sitting out in space, plus most event ships are account wide unlocks.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Not much now that the dil’hadar exist.

I have a very modest farm and I can reliably get a ship a month if I want to. I haven’t seen anything I wanted since the ViL pack so I’m squatting on a few mil.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

If you want a farm grab your alt cap in jem’hadar. Get them started on admiralty with the random ships they come with. Buy all the shuttles you can for EC. Make the alts the same faction (klink or fed) as your main for now. Keep an eye out for any way to get free ships - you will see promotions occasionally in this thread for example, and there are events etc. Send your alts out to claim the sally ride.

Once you are clicking along start buying zen whenever it’s below 310 or so. Once you have a few hundred if you’re really feeling like you don’t have enough admiralty ships buy some of the cheap poo poo in the z store as long as it’s an account wide unlock.

Before too long you will have enough for a T6 ship at which point your admiralty game starts to snowball.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Cythereal posted:

Also, be sure to run Temporal Ambassador for the cruiser and card it comes with, and Time and Tide for the Pastak card.

Yup. Knew I was forgetting a few.

Also be strategic about finishing out all ten levels of admiralty. You’re going to run the ferengi and klink forever because of the dill but all of them give a card when you hit max lvl.

Oh I think there’s also a card at the end of the ViL story line. Garak’s ride. Forgot the name.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

You don't have to actually keep your ships to keep the admiralty cards. Just make sure you open up the admiralty system at least once after getting a ship, whether that be from free leveling tokens or opening a box. It will generate the admiralty card then, after which you can trash it to make room in your roster for poo poo you actually fly.

edit: to give an idea my main has something like . . . 30? admiralty cards right now and no where near that many slots in the garage.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Cythereal posted:

If you can stand leveling alts, Romulans are the kings of admiralty thanks to getting all their own ships plus all the Fed/Klank ships you pick up in the z-store. Having a bunch of Romulans makes the 6 and 9 pack bundles in the z-store even better values than they already are.

But it also makes cleaning out your garage important. My main has 62 admiralty cards right now. :v: And there are goons with far more.

I agree with you in principle but hoooly poo poo the "set it and forget it" nature of jem hadar really, really makes up for that. Once you have even a modest handful of account unlocks you really don't care about min maxing the packs, at least as far as admiralty cards goes.

Don't get me wrong, I've got rom alts too. Its a cool story line to play through and lots of neat ships to unlock. I just don't see myself ever leveling another one all the way to 52 when I can just roll a Dil'Hadar in like half an hour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

g0del posted:

. Use shuttles as a poor man's skip, throwing them at non-ToD missions that will definitely fail just to get to the ToD missions. Save your high level admiralty cards for the actual tour of duty missions.

This is generally a good idea, but keep an eye on the dill rewards from random non-ToD missions. You can get 500 unrefined frequently, sometimes 1000, and rarely 2000. Early on you're probably still going to want to save your heavy hitting ships for the ToD missions, but once you get a fair number of admiralty cards you can really rake it in with the non-ToDs. Get a couple of heavy hitters on a 2000 mission plus a ship with a critical multiplier and you can get some serious bank.