Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

DancingShade posted:

If this rep system update was a ploy to get people to do different queues I think they've forgotten about red alerts.

I would be very surprised if Red Alerts survive in their current form - as you say the whole purpose of these changes are probably to push people back into queues, and giving people an alternate method defeats that.

I think they will remove the choice box and make the Red Alerts purely Borg or Tholian or Lukari respectively. Maybe they will increase the XP they give as a consolation.

When this has been suggested in various channels before, the reaction has been overwhelmingly positive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

They basically included the images so people would focus on "OMG how hilarious/goofy Kurland looks:D!!!!" rather than the actual content of the blog, which is pretty tepid: for some bizarre reason they waste the first 5 paragraphs on whining from STO's marketing team about how the word 'queue' is too negative and immersion breaking so needs a rebrand.

Nobody is going to stop calling them queues.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

It kinda reminds me of the time the first public service channel imploded - the founders did some initial good groundwork to set up a useful community resource, which attracted interest and users from across the playerbase, not realising that after a while it grew beyond them into a shared community resource, and completely failing to understand the backlash when they try to reassert control.

There is something special about the sheer lack of social awareness on the part of these kind of players. There is literally no possibility these people are going to get what they want - Cryptic don't give a poo poo about player disputes, and most folks will just move onto a new site.

They don't even explain what the problem is, beyond incoherent whining about unspecified bugs.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

More fun and games from the whole STObuilds fiasco:

https://youtu.be/nhuEqW0mfRE

At just after 49 mins or so in, Odenknight (who spends most of the video trying to justify the whole business) makes a comparison between the STObuilds mods and the Civil Rights movement...

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Potential BFF posted:

There's a 50% off everything in the Lobi store sale on today. There's actually nice stuff in the Lobi store so they're really breaking out the big guns on the "please spend money on our game" front.

They seem to be really pushing flash sales even more heavily than normal this month. A promo ship rerun is usually one of their 'big gun' cashgrabs (the mania around the T6 Connie is one of their biggest cashcows), and this lobi discount is bigger than ever before.

I wonder if there is a special reason this time. Are they missing their internal monthly sales targets?

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

More Foundry related fun: TacPaddy/parakema is having a tantrum over negative reviews for his Endeavor grind missions:

https://www.reddit.com/r/sto/comments/ax9pg8/end_of_the_endeavor_grind_foundry_missions/

This is the guy whose public breakdown over 'unauthorised chat' in his Public Service channel (ie: getting angry at someone asking a question if an invite for a fleet ship was allowed, when they should have read the rules and asked only for invites in the special invite code, and muting the channel when people complained) caused it to implode, paving the way for nopps.

Although overshadowed by the Foundry shutdown news, this was absolutely inevitable the moment he published those missions, as whilst he wants to be known as a player who helps the STO playerbase, he is completely unable to deal with members of the public or handle any criticism/different opinions, insisting everyone read the rules in advance and adhere to them, and throwing passive-aggressive, then angry insults at anyone who asks questions/has issues.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

They were planning to bundle a ship upgrade token with it as well, so you could fly a T5U.

They stopped those plans once they realised that once a ship is upgraded, that upgrade applies to the whole account, which would theoretically give you unlimited free ship upgrades on that account.

Also: Doffing is also currently broken - doffs bind to character when used in an assignment or to do an RnD project.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Rare sighting earlier today...

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

They really haven't thought through the impact of the XMPP withdrawal. Its going to significantly reduce the level of activity/chat in major channels like NoP Public Service, RedditChat, etc: many of the most prominent and active long-term players in chat rely on it.

And the claims about gold sellers is such a preposterous lie it beggars belief. Hell, even Redditors are calling Kael out on it...

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

So yesterday's patch was a real clusterfuck, and broke multiple things - bridge invites, marks boxes rewards in battlezones/some queues, Admiralty daily bonuses, etc.

My favourite is PVP though. Entering a public PVP match appears to reset your character to Lvl 1...

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Cyrano4747 posted:

Move Along Home is amazing just to sit there and laugh at. gently caress, the early TNG episodes are great for that too. Like the one where Tasha sits down for a Very Important Conversation with Wesley and he literally asks "What are drugs?" and cocks his head like a confused puppy at the concept of wanting to get high.

Bad Trek can be great in its own way.

That said, the S2 clip show has no excuses. It's just terrible without even being entertainingly terrible because it's a loving clip show.

The excuses usually wheeled out for Shades of Grey, are that 1) they used up all the Season 2 budget for Q-Who and so had to save money on the S2 finale, and 2) were struggling due to the 1988 Writers Guild of America strike.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

So for those who don't know, there's been an ongoing drama for a few years now, between one player - 'Hicks' and more or less anyone who runs across him.

He seems to believe there is conspiracy between PWE/Navi/Cryptic/Kael/the DPS leagues, against him. He also genuinely believes that Cryptic stole the idea for the random TFO system and endeavor systems, and that he is single-handled responsible for keeping STO a success the last few years.

He has an army of sockpuppet accounts that he pretends aren't him (although slips up regularly), and is angry they have been banned on multiple occasions.

He mainly sticks to publicelitestf channel and zone, as both are unmoderated, and regularly picks up mutes from being mass-reported by people. Apparently Navi got tired of his poo poo and banned him, leading him to make these two videos threatening revenge:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xI4dX1BwN9E&t=45s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCOl03a-obI&t=33s

He has also compiled a player 'list of shame' on his website:
https://stoantitrolldivision.wixsite.com/shadowdefencearmada/post/copy-of-international-women-s-day-2-000-march-downtown

I suspect the ban is probably for the best - this kind of behaviour isn't going to end well. He still has multiple accounts ingame though that are raging against this.

Tigey fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Oct 2, 2020

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Yeah I saw that earlier - that WestX is a bit of a wobbly one. He had a public breakdown in NoP Public Service the other day repeatedly screaming to about half a dozen players that the Black Panther film publically promoted the genocide of white children, for not condemning the baddy's plans vehemently enough (beyond y'know, stopping and killing him).

He didn't like it when multiple people pointed out how he only had this problem when it came to black characters, after he defended making Thanos and Hitler(!) sympathetic in other films.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

For the most part it can be AFKed, but there is an annoying bit midway through where it insists that all the transports must leave the map. This isn't a problem if you don't shoot them (they will leave by themselves) but is annoying if a player disables one and then doesn't interact with it (ie: 'recapturing' it), as it will just sit there blocking progress.

It drags things out, as its difficult to spot when this happens, and then a pain to track the relevant transport down, and then a pain to wait for it to slowly trundle off the map.

This isn't a problem if nobody disables any transports at all, so is another case of a perfectly good AFKable queue being ruined by pubbies 'helping'.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

War crimes in STO aren't exactly new. From equipping Scimitars with Thalaron weapons, using banned Son'a Subspace weapons, shooting Voth medics/escape shuttles/city ships full of civilians, using Omega particles to upgrade our weapons, massacring Romulan civilian scientists on the orders of an obvious Undine imposter, to our wiping out whole civilizations like the Tuterians through temporal fuckery, etc.

To say nothing of the hundreds of thousands, if not millions of personnel each captain has killed - never shooting to disable or stun - only kill.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Despite them seemingly being obssessed with bombarding us with mediocre legendary ships and poor value bundles, they are now adding the T6 Luna/Titan to the C-Store, for 3k zen.

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11480803-it%27s-the-titan%21

Given its 'heroic' appearance in Lower Decks, the general assumption was of it being a lockbox or promo pack ship, particularly given that its been a while since they introduced a plain 'vanilla' non-bundled/non-pack c-store ship. Adding it at a price point thats affordable for the average player - is unexpected.

I'm still betting on the Ceritos being a promo ship though.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Lagomorphic posted:

Once the winter event starts you can get a fairly easy 100-200 marks a day raising snow rats and chucking them in ye ol woodchipper

Yup. Once you know how, the PVP race is absurdly easy. It can take a while to master the optimal 'bunny-hopping' technique, but once you do, you will basically always win against anyone else not doing it. In short, it entails:
- continuously jumping to avoid the slipping animation starting and stay at maximum speed
- primarily using the mouse (rather than keys) to steer, and doing so as gently as possible - this avoids the vast majority of slipping/sliding whilst turning, which wastes huge amounts of time for most runners.
- using the above two techniques to take the shortest route possible (ie: taking tight not wide corners, etc), whilst remaining within the race boundary flags
- a few cheap speedbuffs (Command Spec 'Forward March' ability, 'Physical Conditioning' Trait, an any level/rarity [Run] weapon, etc) can help, but are not usually needed.

Once you get the hang of it, you will win by a comfortable margin the overwhelming majority of the time. The rare occasion you don't come first (1 in 30 or so) is either lag, or due to someone else doing it, but with more speedbuffs.

Most players have zero clue how to do this, and every couple of races you will get angry PMs or shoutouts in zone for 'cheating', 'hacking' or 'not doing it properly'. You can increase the chance of this by using your lead to dance on top of the First Place flag whilst the rest catch up to you, and only claiming it at the last possible second (causing chaos as everyone realises and has to frantically change course to take the Second Place flag).

EDIT: this technique also works for the daily shipgrind race (making it quick and easy by avoiding most slipping) - if done optimally you can overtake the two racers in front of you, even with their hefty headstart

Tigey fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Dec 3, 2020

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

I have multiple accounts and claimed two codes. I suspect it does have to do with whether you have claimed one of these packs/giveaways from intel previously.

Neither code worked on my main account, which had claimed multiple similar giveaways before. Both codes did however work on other accounts (including after I tried the codes on my main - so they don't seem to be invalidated if they don't work the first time), with the key difference being those accounts had never claimed any similar giveaways before.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

That Twitter thread will be gone soon. Tacofangs does this regularly - passively-aggressively whine about how mean and horrible the community is on Twitter, and then deletes it after he gets a backlash from attacking the community, rather than the supportive response that he is seeking.

I mean, the community is undoubtedly awful overall, but the devs really do want the best of both worlds when it comes to interacting with them - they want the ego-massaging supportive tweets telling them how great the content they produce is, without having to deal with any negativity from the fans/players about the parts that aren't so great (and whose play experience is spoilt as a result).

Even ThomastheCat, who by all accounts is a pretty good chap overall, made a dumb comment a few months back saying that they basically only sought positive feedback on the new ships they developed - if the designs weren't to your taste your comments weren't welcome, even polite/constructive ones.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

g0del posted:

Anyone have any idea what this is about?
https://twitter.com/ForumSto/status/1396902444253294598
It's a whole thread, and reads like the mental illness that used to be so prevalent in the game, but I have no idea what they're actually complaining about.

That's 100% Hick's posting style, so he's not actually 'dead'. It mentions he has now been banned - permabanned this time I assume, as he's been banned before on multiple occasions.

Despite his posts he never actually 'helped' anyone, he just spent time screaming into the void in the old STF channels (as they were only 'big' unmoderated channels left). He held conversations with himself using his multiple sockpuppet accounts, always talking in the third persion, and spent most of his time incoherently raging against certain players/communities for unspecified hacking/cheating/elitism/stealing dilithium from him/mindcontrol rays.

He claims to have invented Mudds Store and Random TFOs, which Cryptic stole from him, and makes all sorts of claims about being singlehandedly responsible for saving the game and helping thousands of players, whilst his enemies in the DPS community plot against him.

It is absolutely not an act - and whilst it was fun watching him at the start, the longer you watched the more and more genuinely uncomfortable it became. He is deeply unwell and has extreme paranoia issues. If Cryptic gave even the slightest poo poo about basic safeguarding responsibilities he would have been banned years ago, for his own good.

As for Xean, funnily enough he seems a changed man. Came across as genuinely chill and laughed off all the old stuff.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

They have also engaged a Youtube ship artist, EC Henry, to design the T6 Steamrunner, which is supposed to be coming out some time this year

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

greasythepirate posted:

He was, until yesterday, one of the top 2 cryptic defenders. The other one and now reigning champ is this guy, and god do I hate him.
Oh yeah this guy really is an incredibly grating piece of poo poo. I actually thought he was a dev sockpuppet account for a while.

The STO reddit really is a loving cesspit of humanity though. Someone made some post the other day 'just asking questions' about why noted sex pest Vic Mignogna's voice acting was removed. The first page of their post history was a succession of ultracreepy predatory posts in - r/rapefantasies, r/YoungGirlsforOlderMen, etc. I knew it was :reddit:, but jesus christ.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Eimi posted:

Yeah, I don't mind when it's camp fun like this, but it's really terrible when it tries to be 'serious'. Doubly so with just how many are all too happy to 'ironically' support the terrans.

On a similar note, I'm expecting to see a lot of 'ironic' support for the literally Fascist Federation seen in the Picard S2 trailer.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

DancingShade posted:

Documented & reported bugs from alpha and beta testing making their way to the live servers untouched has been a feature for the past decade.

To be fair, most of those kind of bugs only impact things players care about - gameplay stuff or visuals, etc. Cryptic has no real incentive to worry too much about them so its kind of understandable.

This however is something that Cryptic has every incentive to identify and fix before it ever goes live - lockbox keys/promo packs are one of their main income sources. A bug that causes an instant crash upon opening one is extremely damaging. Someone hosed up

Cyrano4747 posted:

did they add a shitload of inventory slots or something? Because my main had a maxed inventory size (I had a few +slot upgrades from give aways I couldn't activate because of it) and now its bigger. Like. . . 4 or 5 rows bigger.

Not gonna complain I was running with a nearly full inventory.

Yes. They basically gave a bunch of extra benefits to Lifetime Subscribers, including char slots, account bank slots and inventory slots. Purely free to play accounts also got a few benefits, including 1 char slot, some dry dock slots and 20 account bank slots (unlocking account bank if you didn't already own it).

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11507373-get-more-from-your-lifetime-subscription%21

Tigey fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Feb 3, 2022

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

I wouldn't treat anything in that blog as a given. The overwhelming majority of it is a sloppy copy paste from the last time they did this event, back in 2019 - that hasn't been editted in any way.

And yes, they always copy paste these and make mistakes, but this is below even their usual low standards. Basically zero quality control was done on this blog.

It describes in detail how the Borg queues have just been revamped - this happened 2-3 years ago, and also describes the whole Event system and UI as 'new'. It also states at length that the reward will be the Cyclic Remodulation Weapons packs - and only toward the end does it say its actually going to be a console.

There aren't even start-end dates.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Haven't tried Iuppiter, but Operation Wolf still works when solo AFKed. It also gives a fair bit more marks on autocompleting (base reward of 60 vs Iuppiter's 31 - before factoring in daily marks boxes and current bonus marks event).

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

https://twitter.com/AmbassadorKael/status/1499080163698503685?s=20&t=gYV3MCpNgutdJJkRoM0J_g

Kael having to manage expectations about his recent hyping up of 'The Biggest News in STO history', which a lot of players have assumed means Patrick Stewart will be doing voiceover work (given all the foreshadowing about wanting someone big to voice the Terran Emperor).

Instead the most likely scenario is that some STO designed ships will appear on Picard, given that some of the ship artists are apparently in the credits.

Assuming its true, they are understandly proud and excited about this - their work being made into official Star Trek canon. But they don't get that its not as big or exciting news to players as it is to them. Honestly, the overwhelming majority of players will be utterly indifferent to it.

You can see a previous example, when some random cosplayer (Becky something) appeared on a TV show in a costume she said was inspired by STO's Iconians (the judges just smiled, clearly having no idea what the heck STO was). Cryptic became massively excited at their work being featured on TV, and tried to convey to players that they should be excited to, but nobody knew who some random cosplayer was, what the show was, or why they should care.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Macha posted:

Oh hey got a question I just thought of! So last time I played, RomPlasma was what everyone was going for. That was THE energy type to get. If I remember right you wanted vulnerability
Locators, Romulan threat dampening consoles from the embassy, and Romulan Plasma beams.

Is this still the case or no? If not, what changed and what is the best flavor beams to be picking up?

Whatever colour you like the look of the most.

No, seriously. Unless you are running elites and chasing bleeding edge dps, it doesn't really matter that much. All energy types are competitive for advanced-level content, and most of the biggest damage boosts you will get will be non-type specific (boff abilities, crit chance/severity, etc). There are a few damage type specific consoles (like DOMINO for Phasers, etc) that help give some dmg types a modest edge, but many of these are expensive/hard to get, so as a casual its nothing for you to worry too much about.

At the higher-end, Plasma is probably a bit weaker than most other types at the moment (except for poor Tetryons), due to the lack of many additional competitive consoles with plasma dmg buffs (Phasers are arguably strongest at the moment due to some good consoles and beam variants). Locators are still best in slot for Tactical consoles, except for some edge cases, but Romulan Embassy consoles were nerfed a while ago and are now junk.

But the key message is, your beams are still good and should get you through most content. See here for a good primer on beam builds that is still relatively up to date: https://www.sto-league.com/beam-ships-in-the-current-century/

EDIT: I see in one of your posts above you mention selling keys to get a fleet ship? Just be aware that you can get 13 (bound to char) fleet ship modules per character, one for each Reputation you level to T6. Keep in mind that's a bit of a grind if you are casual (it takes about 50 days to level a rep to T6), but if you are sticking around its a great way to get a few fleet ships for free.

Tigey fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Aug 9, 2022

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

DancingShade posted:

For maximum return from minimum investment I'd make up versions of all the TV show ships that have identical geometry but the serial number is in yellow or something because of reasons. And the ensign slot is slightly different. Yours for a hundred dollars please.
They're not that far off this at the moment with the myriad of Connie, Galaxy and Miranda 'variants'

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

g0del posted:

They updated command a year ago so for ISE, torp builds have been meta for awhile - last time I checked the DPS record was 2.6m with a Courage-class. But the meta changes based on the TFO - I believe science builds are still top in HSE, and CSV builds were top in ISA, though I think that might recently have been beat by a weird all-thalaron pulse team gaming the system to get truly absurd DPS numbers.

On the Thalaron pulse thing - I don't think it can really be called a meta, as whilst it has been generating some insane runs (11m+ dps as of a few days ago...) its not really reproducable outside of extremely scripted runs, where everything lines up perfectly - its a lot of hit and miss and if one sphere wanders outside of range, the whole run is hosed.

I might be wrong, but as I understand it, it relies on 'overreporting' dps - where it is one of the abilities that lists in the combat log the maximum damage it would have done, rather than the actual damage it did (as most abilities do, as far as I know). In other words, it logs more damage than the enemy actually has HP, and the parsers can't distinguish this.

If my understanding is true, its not really comparing like with like, but folks are currently slapping themselves on the back about getting yuge dps numbers so are letting the parses through.

Tigey fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Aug 12, 2022

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Asimo posted:

Cryptic wants to you buy ships and gamblebox keys with cash money zen, and (to a much lesser extent) wants you to buy dilithium with cash money zen too. There's literally no downside for them and active monetary incentives for them to keep the economy as it currently is even if they had some way to fix it easily. And there's pretty much no way to fix it easily.

I can guarantee that if inflation went in a player-friendly direction instead the exchange would be shut down with some vague excuse as soon as possible.

Absolutely. Kael, Borticus and others have engaged in various conversations about 'new dil sinks', but its pretty obvious its performative, simply to give the impression they are 'thinking hard about it' and 'intend to do something, but want to get it right'.

In reality, Cryptic don't really have any intention of doing anything, and have structured the criteria that they state a dil sink has to meet, in order to dismiss any actual suggestions of new sinks that arise (to be fair, most player suggestions are dumb, self-serving or actively counterproductive, but there have been some decent ideas):

- It must not detract from existing Cryptic income streams.
- It must not be a 'one and done'.
- It must not take dev time and resources to make
- It shouldn't charge players for things that were previously free (unlike the others, they haven't actively said this, but I suspect that based on how things went after reroll tokens were changed, they've learned that players will resist the change and refuse to pay for something previously free).

The second one is the real killer. Players generally want this kind of sink - something they can spend dil on, rather than constantly plowing dil into ongoing mechanics related fees or system grinds. This one principle means that previously effective sink mechanisms (even if they had a temporary impact) like the Vanity Shields/Phoenix, are dismissed as unsuitable sinks going forward.

Basically, these criteria, whilst all sounding reasonable and understandable individually, when taken together basically rule out any actual actions. I'm pretty sure this is by design, to dampen player criticism/complaints by making it seem like they intend to do something, when in reality they are just fine with it.

Tigey fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Aug 14, 2022

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Some are still around. I got challenged by a GARRROSSH HELLSCREAM a few months back.

His expensive perception debuff and sci nuke power build was no match for my dancing and fingergun emotes. He conceded after screaming at me for being a DISHONORABLE PTAK THAT BROUGHT SHAME TO THE KLINGON PEOPLE.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Legit pleased for the ship artists at cryptic, who come across as genuinely good and passionate folks.

Its one thing to have some of your work enter official star trek canon by being simple filler background ships in a big fleet scene...

But to have your work be made into the literal official canon Enterprise-F design? That's genuinely awesome for them (whilst not forgetting it was based on a concept submitted by a fan during a contest - hope the fan gets some credit too)

Tigey fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Oct 8, 2022

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

g0del posted:

You don't even have to do that. SB1 is the laziest queue imaginable. You can start the queue and literally walk away from it and come back to a completed TFO and rewards 12 minutes later.

I guess just don't talk about doing that in chat. I know someone who just picked up a temp game suspension for "AFKing" because he complained in chat that server lag was making his solo-AFK run take longer than it should.

In other words, Cryptic has heard players complaining about bots AFKing and is handling it in the worst possible way - banning players (the ones who talk about it) instead of bots (who never chat because they're bots).

There has indeed been a flurry of bans in response to those videos by Spencer. It appears that most of the SB1 gold farmer bots were snagged, and that this has resulted in a slow but steady creeping downward of the dil/zen exchange over the last month or two.

That said, in the last week (ie: AFTER the SB1 bot farm bans) a few players have also been banned, including some prominent ones that you and other people active in NoPS would recognise...

Not entirely clear why, as they weren't doing DS1 AFK... Working theory is that it is based on them having farmed/refined too much dil over time, that it looked suspicious.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Reddit is in uproar over this. Personally, I'm more or less fine with it:
-It provides a new way of acquiring old event ships as accountwide unlocks. People have been screaming for this for years. The Monkey's Paw has provided!
-I personally own all of the ships in it already, so have absolutely zero reason to buy, thus saving me a bunch of zen!
-This is clearly an experiment by Cryptic to see if they can push the boundaries further and remonetise old event content. I guarantee someone on the staff wrote a big business case proposing this, claiming it would bring in money for zero work/outlay. I don't think it will be that successful in practicer though, not because the business model is flawed, but because the specific ships in this one are way too recent (all from the last few years) and frankly none are that great (Temer Raider is nice, but not essential). In practice, if they repeat this (a big if), the next bundle will correspondingly be more generous, probably including at least one very desirable old event ships as a choice - such as the Bajoran Interceptor or Breen T6 Plesh Tral...
-As they are trying to test the waters and avoid annoying people too much, the bundle only has 3 ships rather than 4 - this means you can get all of them at once, rather than having to buy it twice to get the last one.

Tigey fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Feb 28, 2023

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

It's been on a steady course downward for about 2-3 months now, but it really picked up overnight, due to market speculation.

People who have a bunch of Zen on hand already, have realised that with the dil/zen exchange rate falling, that they have an incentive to sell a bunch of their Zen now, as they can get more dilithium for it than they will be able to in future.

So if they hold onto that dilithium for a few weeks/months, and the price falls even further, they can trade that dilithium back for an even larger amount of Zen. Its extremely low risk too, as with the price still technically capped at 500, even if it goes back up they won't really end up being any worse off.

In other words, the sudden huge drop overnight (around 1.5m zen backlog burnt through in a day) was artificial and a one-off - don't expect it to continue to plummet at this rate.

On the other hand, we are still finding the new normal, so it prices will still take a while to stabilise.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

An in-joke within a fleet community got shared more widely a day or two ago during the downtime, and caused a fair bit of outrage on Twitter/Forums/Reddit.

https://twitter.com/SRSFLEET/status/1644126564659912705

RIP Star Tek Online

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

The Romulan tutorial and early storyline is generally seen as the best of the big three factions.

That said, it is basically 10 years old at this point, and hasn't been majorly updated since then. The Fed tutorial has been constantly updated (is supposedly the biggest 'drop off' phase for new players), and the KDF one was done a couple years ago to jazz it up for the Year of Klingon.

Also, that bug with the Phaser Rifle in the Fed tutorial has been there for YEARS, they have never resolved it - it also can happen outside of Delta Recruit events. In addition to advice everyone else has given (which does sometimes work, but not consistently), you can try:
-Giving up and making a new char. The bug doesn't always happen.
-Logging off for >15mins when you experience the bug. If you log out for a bit, the map refreshes and bug may not strike.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

That's why they namechecked Elon Musk in Disco - he was a visionary who warned them about the woke hive mind virus!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

On a related note, one of the things I've always thought Cryptic should do to add a tiny bit more variety, is for ships that come with a unique console to have a special slot in which you can equip that (and only that) console. Effectively, you get to slot the themed console that comes with the ship for free, without it counting against your overall console limits.

Obviously, some thought would be needed for edge cases like legendary ships that come with multiple consoles (they should probably still only have a single slot, but it allows you to choose to equip any one of the three or so consoles that come with). And I'm sure there are other exceptions.

It wouldn't solve the 'meta uber alles' problem, but it might introduce a bit more variety, as less used non-meta consoles feature more. And you might see more 'on theme' items used.

Of course, they'd probably make it unlocked by a token you buy from the c-store, etc.