Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Does buying a cash shop ship or ship bundle unlock it for all eligible alts, both current and future?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

The suggested captain skills build on the wesley wiki is for the old system. Is there an updated version floating around someplace? Also, is this guide a good reference for bridge officer skills to work towards?

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Is there any reason not to use assault weapons for ground combat? From the tooltip, it seems like they do tons more damage.

Heh, the mouseover for the Survivalist build is "You are not a tank".

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

nm

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Drozana Station Fire Safety Adventures?

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

That's a pretty good post-avatar combo.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Caught an episode of TNG while I was traveling for work this week and got the itch to play again. However, my hard drive died between the last time I played and now, taking my notes on what I was doing with my character with it. So, questions:

1. Is the Presidio build on the goon wiki still viable or has it since been nerfed/power-crept into oblivion? I'm only level 25, but like having an end goal to aim for. I think I was going for a Scimitar/Khopesh last time. Are they terrible now?

2. Same question about our wiki, but for the PC leveling skills and away team composition.

3. I vaguely remember I was trying to train a given R&D skill to 5 before starting another, but can't figure out why I would have wanted to do so; the only breakpoint the non-goon wiki mentions is at 15. Is there a useful craftable thing you get at 5?

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Watching Picard brought me back to this game, but my spacebar macro isn't working anymore. Did something change?

Here's what I was using, as suggested by our (former) wiki:
code:
Space "GenSendMessage HUD_Root Firephaserstorps $$ +Power_Exec Distribute_Shields $$ +TrayExecByTray 9 0 $$ +TrayExecByTray 9 1 $$ +TrayExecByTray 9 2 $$ +TrayExecByTray 9 3 $$ +TrayExecByTray 9 4 $$ +TrayExecByTray 9 5 $$ +TrayExecByTray 9 6 $$ +TrayExecByTray 9 7 $$ +TrayExecByTray 9 8 $$ +TrayExecByTray 9 9"

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

DancingShade posted:

RIP ultimate STO tanking guide.

In case anyone here never saw it, imagine "get hosed" in extra large sparkling font.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Do boff trait bonuses apply for all the boffs you have in your roster (max of 50 if you buy tons of slots) or just the ones slotted to use active abilities?

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

What patrols should I be doing as a klingrom for ship mastery? Terms like "post-Disco" don't help much, because I have no idea what was added when.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Cyrano4747 posted:

Are there any must have lobi ships as far as skills, consoles, etc go?

Our wiki had an article on starship traits that said Supremacy was one of four "must haves" for both cannon and beam boats. It comes from a lobi ship.

So, assuming it hasn't been powercrept into obsolescence since the article was written, go for that?

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

The lockboxes can only be obtained with Phoenix tokens. They will still require keys.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Godspeed and may the force be with you.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Lorak posted:

You know, I thought it was interesting to see someone making Ahsoka Tano in STO, but then that bio existed.

I wonder how many angry tells you could get by making Rey Skywalker in-game.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

MREBoy posted:

Whats a good Tac or Eng T6 for a KDF Klingon Tac captain that is currently L20 ? Might as well take advantage of the fact low level chars can use T6s now.

Do you like cloaking? Maybe try the M'Chla? It's got a tac commander slot for omega 3 and the other four slots are universal. Put another tac in one of the ltc slots to chain fire at will 3. That leaves you with one each of ensign, lt, and ltc slots to chain aux2bat or eps and use whichever slot is leftover for science.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Working for me. Maybe you're in an alternate dimension?

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

I don't suppose anyone's run into a guide for making W40k orks in the character creator? Google didn't turn up anything.

e: Meh, think I'm giving up on it. Just too many body differences that STO really can't account for, like tusks and the head & shoulders being at about the same height.

Hello Sailor fucked around with this message at 03:12 on May 25, 2020

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Statutory Ape posted:

how do i determine what makes a good t6 ship? are the dominion ones good?

also do people congregate anywhere these days

What I look for most in a ship is good bridge officer slots. Not many ships can seat a tac boff commander & LTC.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Cythereal posted:

(and do higher dps than their scimitars)

I fly a khopesh, I'll have you know

I also just realized about a week ago that the 360° turrets in my rear slots are cannons and not beam weapons; I use the 250° beam arrays in my front slots, because I'm garbage at keeping things in the 180° frontal arc, but can generally manage to not have the enemies directly behind me. So, I've been using mixed weapons this whole drat time.

Looking at the wiki, I can apparently only slot two omni-arrays, one has to be a from a set and the other not. I guess I can cram a torp launcher into my third rear slot to actually use the khopesh's starship trait. I'm a spacepoor, so it's not like I'll be picking up any other starship traits anytime soon.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Statutory Ape posted:

Is there a resource for macro making? Ive been keeping my abilities up manually by basically putting them 1-6 and just mashing that region of the keyboard bc i determined that what they actually buff is largely irrelevant

The wesley wiki (RIP) had a guide for a spacebar macro that I'll recreate here.

1. Make .txt file in notepad, name it spacebarmacro.
2. Copy this text to the file:
code:
Space "GenSendMessage HUD_Root Firephaserstorps$$+power_exec Distribute_Shields$$+TrayExecByTray 9 0$$+TrayExecByTray 9 1$$+TrayExecByTray 9 2$$+TrayExecByTray 9 3$$+TrayExecByTray 9 4$$+TrayExecByTray 9 5$$+TrayExecByTray 9 6$$+TrayExecByTray 9 7$$+TrayExecByTray 9 8$$+TrayExecByTray 9 9"
3. Put the file in folder [path]\Star Trek Online\Live\
4. Login, be in space, and type:
code:
/ui_load_file spacebarmacro.txt
5. Put whatever abilities you want to faceroll into your 10th action bar. If you want to get fancy, they generally activate from right to left, even though the order in the macro is left to right.
6. Mash spacebar in combat. In addition to using the 10th bar abiliities, this will also set all your guns and torps to auto-fire and try to keep your shields balanced.

e: Also, the obligatory wesley tanking guide:

Hello Sailor fucked around with this message at 13:29 on May 28, 2020

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Do old episodes scale up a lot when you hit max level? I just got to 65, went back to an old episode I've been repeating every so often because it gives a free beam array, and absolutely got my rear end handed to me.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Asimo posted:

:laffo: some people are still *so mad* about this.

Why? I mean, he's not great, but he can placehold just fine until I can afford/find a tac with good space traits to replace him. I already found a nice Gorn to be my away team melee boff; watching him lunge feet first at people is a hoot.

e: Also, my ship has seats for 5 space boffs, because I spent zen on a T6 ship instead of boffs. What does this handy guide propose I do?

Hello Sailor fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jun 15, 2020

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Soviet Commubot posted:

It's because they want their BOFFs to be all :females: for their fantasy harem.

Don't they know that harems need eunuchs as guards? Appoint TK as head of security.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

In the event TFOs (the Kobayashi(sp) Maru thing), I occasionally see a player ship shoot blue lightning all over the place and just wreck enemy ships. What ability is that?

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Lagomorphic posted:

Could also be the tier 5 Nukara rep power.

Judging by the screenshot on the wiki, I think this is it.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

How do you set "run" as the default ground movement speed? It's like that on my main (unless I use autorun, which defaults to walk for some reason), but I just made my first alt and can't figure out how I did it on my main.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Seems pretty good. Flanking is a 50% damage boost and you get to auto-flank for 10 out of every 30 seconds, plus it buffs your crit damage during that 10 seconds. So, a ballpark net 20% increase to your damage.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Well, the gear in question was a kit module, so it affects ground combat and therefore only the (tac) captain's damage, not the rest of the away team's. So, good if your captain is a primary source of damage. My ground playstyle is to run around like a buffoon and occasionally remember to toss a grenade while the rest of my team scythes through the enemy like a hot knife through butter, making the module less useful to me.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

this must be what they meant by Year of the Klingon

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Do I need to completely fill the 2800 point meta-event progress bar to get the 1000 lobi/200 + ship reward? I read something about only needing to complete 2 of the 4 events and skipped the first two (I'm weird and dislike MMO events). Doing just enough to complete the current event only gave me 700 points toward the meta-event, but I did notice that I got another 50 by earning the dilithium post-completion reward. However since the event ends in a few days, I won't have anywhere near 1400 points.

FuturePastNow posted:

https://sto.gamepedia.com/Vorgon_Tetryon_Discharge_Prism

There's also this space dildo from the mission Vorgon Conclusions.

My first thought was of the aliens from the Hitchhiker's series, the Vogons.

Who like to shout "resistance is useless", now that I think about it.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

new Robert Palmer video lookin good

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

DancingShade posted:

The expansion that on launch took the game from "jem hadar or galor is best ship because of layout/stats" to "this new lockbox ship literally makes you invulnerable so you can't die".

Which ship is this? I love things that let me godmode through my general ineptitude.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Cyrano4747 posted:

So. . . what the gently caress's up with tetryon? I've been able to google around and find out what oddball rep or mission gear has good set bonuses or just solid bonuses period for the other damage types, but I swear there's gently caress all out there for tetryon. Like. . . . one lobi set I've found. Is it just the orphan damage type?

I think so. I asked a few pages back about the name of a space ability I'd seen other players using (Refracting Tetryon Cascade), then tried to design a space wizard build around it, but tetryon's just got nothing.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Nipponophile posted:

The only reps I have any time into are New Romulus and Task Force Omega, at 5 and 4 respectively. What other reputations are worth a poo poo, and is there a handy guide to optimizing your daily mark gains?

Discovery T5 rep has a really nice console

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

more money than zens

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

... Does he think the Venn diagram circles of "bug is funny" and "bug should be fixed" don't overlap?

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Well, do you mean bugs which are funny or bugs that you want fixed? It can't be both.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Is there a good KDF C-store ship for space wizarding? Turns out klankroms don't count for the "fly whatever" unlock and I would like to try wizarding as a horrible spacepoor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Cythereal posted:

The gorn multi-mission science vessels, especially the tactical one. Same seats and stats as the Fed and Rom versions, and the tac one is probably the best you'll find outside of lockboxes and no longer available promo boats.

It's worth seeing if there's still an orb weaver on the exchange, too. Tier 5, but still pretty decent.

The Lukari N'kaam is also a good budget option on the exchange.

Ooh. Not sure if it's the tac one (ahgamas surveillance?), but one of the gorn ships is 5 boffs, zero ensigns and that's always a big plus for me