Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

This thread is for posting times you have been lied to or tricked by someone to do something in a game, or maybe you did it to someone else and want to share.

When I was very young, like 4-5 years old, my brother would watch me play Mario or Mega Man or whatever, and egg me on to jump into pits claiming that "there's a warp zone there" or that there was some kind of secret. I would always eventually relent and jump to my death. This happened on a regular basis.

When I was in the 4th or 5th grade one of my friends had this SNES Double Dragon game that was like a Street Fighter knock off and swore up and down that you could use a special move one of the characters had and it would knock the female fighter's top off. We spent an entire afternoon trying to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

When I was around 10 I went to the video store to rent a game and I really wanted Sonic 3. Luckily they had it that day but another kid saw me grab it and he must have really wanted it because he started telling me things about the game to try to dissuade me. He said when Sonic got hit by an enemy, he would start bleeding and just keep bleeding everywhere for the rest of the game. Needless to say this made me want to rent it even more

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

the second game you mentioned is Double Dragon V op

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

i think everyone knew a kid that claimed if you gave enough money to the strippers in duke 3d youd have sex with them, and hell, i believed him

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

trying to jack off posted:

i think everyone knew a kid that claimed if you gave enough money to the strippers in duke 3d youd have sex with them, and hell, i believed him

My parents refused to buy me that game even though I played DOOM and DOOM II simply because the box said it had nudity in it. I remember on the school bus the kid I was sitting next to said he had it and there's a part where you walk in on this couple having sex and the guy gets mad and comes after you while still having an erection.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Kongming posted:

My parents refused to buy me that game even though I played DOOM and DOOM II simply because the box said it had nudity in it. I remember on the school bus the kid I was sitting next to said he had it and there's a part where you walk in on this couple having sex and the guy gets mad and comes after you while still having an erection.

that kid grew up to work on duke nukem forever

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I got scammed in Tibia when I was 10 by someone who claimed that he knew an item duplication cheat and made me press a command that logged me out while he took the item I dropped on the floor

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

trying to jack off posted:

that kid grew up to work on duke nukem forever

lmao

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

in jk2/jka I had a message bound to a button that would say 'Type /disco in the console for a rainbow lightsaber!" in a bunch of different colors, very official looking, and I'd always see 2-3 people drop out of the server

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

the reason i believed the duke nukem kid was because a week earlier he had told me about iddqd and idkfa, i stopped trusting him a month after when i asked if he knew any more cheats and he said i had to do something dumb like climb over the tall fence to the bike shed or something before he told me and then he just made up a bunch of fake ones. gently caress you kane you little liar

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002
where were you when you got tricked by “press alt+f4 to ____”

counter-strike 1.1, and i was so pissed he got to see me disconnect

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

extremebuff posted:

in jk2/jka I had a message bound to a button that would say 'Type /disco in the console for a rainbow lightsaber!" in a bunch of different colors, very official looking, and I'd always see 2-3 people drop out of the server

Lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

HolePisser1982 posted:

Probably Q3A tbh.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

HolePisser1982 posted:

I said it as a joke on overwatch 2 years ago and somehow two people fell for it

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

HolePisser1982 posted:

diablo 2 for sure

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i remember people running the alt+f4 scam in D2 constantly in trade games, but i never fell for it since i'd had my mind poisoned by years of Internet communities with the exact same gag

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

sector_corrector posted:

i remember people running the alt+f4 scam in D2 constantly in trade games, but i never fell for it since i'd had my mind poisoned by years of Internet communities with the exact same gag

the first time it happened to me was the first time i learned some people just wanted to watch the world burn

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
In EVE I scammed people by just promising to vouch them into Goons since at the time Goons were pretty powerful. We'd take their in-game money or items they needed to be shipped. There was an IRC channel for coordinating scams etc amongst Goons too.

Oh and in my first time playing Dark Souls I believed the "try jumping" messages and died a lot as a result.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

extremebuff posted:

the first time it happened to me was the first time i learned some people just wanted to watch the world burn

there was another one where people would claim that they'd unlocked a duping trick, but it took two people to do. the general idea was that both players had to place and drop items in the trade window really really fast and doing so would create a copy of both items. so they would get you dropping something you really wanted a second copy of, and then close the trade window on you, causing you to just drop the item you'd had in hand on the ground.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

sector_corrector posted:

there was another one where people would claim that they'd unlocked a duping trick, but it took two people to do. the general idea was that both players had to place and drop items in the trade window really really fast and doing so would create a copy of both items. so they would get you dropping something you really wanted a second copy of, and then close the trade window on you, causing you to just drop the item you'd had in hand on the ground.

lmao i did this to a guy and he messaged me for months that he was totally gonna load up his main character who was level 8000 and own me

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

When In Training was playing BotW he got to the Gerudo Desert and was wondering what the best way to resist the heat was, so I told him to use a Korok Leaf to fan himself and he believed me for a second.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Kongming posted:

When In Training was playing BotW he got to the Gerudo Desert and was wondering what the best way to resist the heat was, so I told him to use a Korok Leaf to fan himself and he believed me for a second.

hahaha

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i did that scam a few times in runescape where you'd offer free armor trimming

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

The Mario Maker fire pack.

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002
It's like a different type of gamer lie but whatever, i treasure this: in fifth grade we had to do history project where you and another kid were to make up a historical civilization, and my partner was the braindead kid in the class. But a day or two after it was assigned he gave me like five pages of bizarre but detailed lore, so I rolled with it and did a bunch of maps and portraits around what he wrote. I found out months later everything he gave me was copied from the Shaq Fu game manual

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

HolePisser1982 posted:

It's like a different type of gamer lie but whatever, i treasure this: in fifth grade we had to do history project where you and another kid were to make up a historical civilization, and my partner was the braindead kid in the class. But a day or two after it was assigned he gave me like five pages of bizarre but detailed lore, so I rolled with it and did a bunch of maps and portraits around what he wrote. I found out months later everything he gave me was copied from the Shaq Fu game manual

lmao

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

A friend and I took shifts playing Grand Theft Auto San Andreas every single day for a week looking for Bigfoot. We stopped when the game froze and the ps2 started vibrating loudly and was hot to the touch

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

HolePisser1982 posted:

Lmfao

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT BEING THE BIGGEST CRYBABY ON THE FORUMS

HolePisser1982 posted:

Oh my god

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002
I'm so lucky to have had that happen to me, it;s like being hit by lightning lol

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

HolePisser1982 posted:

lmfao

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

HolePisser1982 posted:

lmao

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

GorfZaplen posted:

The Mario Maker fire pack.

this one hit hard

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

HolePisser1982 posted:

holy poo poo, that owns.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
a similar story, but on the other side, is that there was a fiction writing contest in elementary school, and the person who won just copied the story of Myst and changed around some of the names and ideas. it made me really, really mad, but i didn't tell anyone.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
The craziest poo poo was I was watching my brother play Castlevania 4 on the snes and I was being a dick and wanted to play so right before the fight with Dracula I told him to jump in the pit and there's a hidden staircase and he does it and there's a loving hidden staircase! I couldn't believe I was seeing that poo poo. There were no other hidden staircases in the game.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

The craziest poo poo was I was watching my brother play Castlevania 4 on the snes and I was being a dick and wanted to play so right before the fight with Dracula I told him to jump in the pit and there's a hidden staircase and he does it and there's a loving hidden staircase! I couldn't believe I was seeing that poo poo. There were no other hidden staircases in the game.

he had enough faith

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I was tricked in Diablo 2 when a guy told me if I put a crystal sword with 6 perfect emeralds on the ground he could dupe it, then he stole it and left the server.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

lowtax censors your forums password if you type it

********* see?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

sector_corrector posted:

a similar story, but on the other side, is that there was a fiction writing contest in elementary school, and the person who won just copied the story of Myst and changed around some of the names and ideas. it made me really, really mad, but i didn't tell anyone.

i did resident evil and halo stories for writing prompts in middle school standardized testing. one teacher used my re one as an example of a top-scoring essay and i found out someone in another class said i plagiarized even though they were ORIGINAL STORIES set in the universe, matt!!!!

• Locked thread