Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scaly Haylie

...is the cloud named golly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoldFrankensteinMir

Lizard Wizard posted:

...is the cloud named golly?

Only if the droplet is Gosh.

Scaly Haylie

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

Only if the droplet is Gosh.

ok but what if the droplet was called golly. The Great Golly.

BoldFrankensteinMir

Lizard Wizard posted:

ok but what if the droplet was called golly. The Great Golly.

I worry that his tadpole-ish nature would beg the "gollywog" comparison, which is pretty racially charged

But, on the other hand, there's a "gullywasher" joke in there somewhere, so I dunno...

Manifisto

uh rainwise there are always umbrella vendors, you know the kind who twirl the umbrellas a la seinfeld

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJAdrsC4Sw4

but also, are we talking rain only or is snow/hail/sleet in the mix?

would be fun to snow/not snow on an elementary school, giving us the power to give or withhold a snow day

snowpersons obv would like snow

mags

I am a congenital optimist.
during halloween we rain candy

paul_soccer12 posted:

everyone in the idf must die

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)
BoldFrankensteinMir

mister magpie posted:

during halloween we rain candy

Is that like a Halloween themed level or a Christmas Knights kinda thing where it reads the system date and reskins?

DavidAlltheTime

All David...all the TIME!
Golly must choose: water the crops, or put out the forest fire. Make people happy along the way with all the ideas posted in the thread to get bigger and more rainy?

blaise rascal

"Duke, Duke, Duke, Duke of Pearl...."
WELL i was a bit rusty but I got this up and running. Check it out!

http://www.fastswf.com/rtTSxfo

I plan on replacing those placeholder assets, but keep in mind that y'all can request changes to the non-asset stuff as well (IE the gameplay mechanics).
There were actually quite a few decisions that went into just that little demo, and all of it is very subject to change.

In case artists want to just make one-for-one replacements for the art in the game, here are the current art asset sizes. (Feel free to change the size if it fits your artistic vision better)
Background size: 640x480 (if the game is an autoscroller then the background should really be like 3000x480 or something)
Cloud size: 100x70
Raindrop size: 14x14

Oh, and by the way, the programming language I'm using can build the game for flash, html5, windows, mac, linux, android, and ios

Here's my to-do list

Programming tasks (major)
-Make stuff for the cloud to rain on
-Do stuff when the stuff is rained on
-maybe implement autoscrolling if that's what we end up doing
-animate stuff
-play sound effects & music

Programming tasks (minor)
-Try different control schemes to see what feels best
-I think the rain falls at a constant rate even when the cloud is moving, but I'm not sure I coded that right, so I should check that out
-polish the rain mechanic (maybe stagger the rain spawnpoint under the cloud left-to-right & stretch out the rain as it falls. that kind of stuff)
-menus, game over screens, loading screens, etc

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Concept art of rain god???

City of Glompton posted:

our really good lurker friend has made another song: https://vocaroo.com/i/s14spzcSzIvY
Both of these things are amazing and they make me feel really good about working on this project.

Regarding plant monster's concept art: I may be off-base here, but what if the game had hand-drawn art instead of pixel art?

blaise rascal fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jun 28, 2018

ty vanisher, ty khanstant

blaise rascal

plant monster the people on the haxeflixel discord like your concept art!

City of Glompton

I'm at work so I can't look at stuff yet but thank you, thank you, thank you!

BoldFrankensteinMir

blaise rascal posted:

Regarding plant monster's concept art: I may be off-base here, but what if the game had hand-drawn art instead of pixel art?

That sounds amazing, and if PM is up for it I think we'd all be agog. My one concern is, assuming many of these assets will have multiple frames of animation, the workload could become VERY heavy very fast. Let's say the sheet for lil' Gollies has fifteen positions (a conservative estimate), and each of ten (again conservative) baddies has eight, and there's one cycling background. That's almost a hundred drawings, which if you're going to do in full hand-drawn Prismacolor glory is a big order.

Not saying it isn't doable, I'm just saying Cuphead's hand-made art won all those awards for a reason. It's a huge effort.

blaise rascal

That makes sense. Also, I think it would be easier for multiple artists to match each other's styles if they all did pixel art.

We should almost certainly try to do the easiest option. I guess I was thinking that if the artists drew their art, they wouldn't make that many frames. Just two or so per animation.

Maybe I will throw in the cloud sprite that plant monster made and see how it looks.

Plant MONSTER.

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Yeah I'm thinking pixels is the way to go, imo. I can see drawing stuff on paper being tricky especially when there's a lack of scanner and stuff.

(thanks for the nice comments on my picture, I'm always full of little ideas that I'm happy to share).

BoldFrankensteinMir

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Yeah I'm thinking pixels is the way to go, imo. I can see drawing stuff on paper being tricky especially when there's a lack of scanner and stuff.

(thanks for the nice comments on my picture, I'm always full of little ideas that I'm happy to share).

Your work is gorgeous and if it's just a matter of changing your concept drawings into pixel sprites that could be a very good distribution of labor.

If you're willing, Plant Monster, conceptual drawings of the baddies would be a great next step. Maybe pick a couple suggestions ITT that speak to you and go from there?

Scaly Haylie

you could also run images through vector magic to make them look cool and blurry, maybe if we need a game over or any other kind of splash screen

City of Glompton

blaise rascal i am home now and i tried out the demo and that tiny taste is so delightful! very exciting :)

thank you PSP for the beautiful spring sig

BoldFrankensteinMir

Should the cloud's expression get cuter/meaner as your cloud karma changes?

I wonder if any group has ever spent this much time considering the ethics of rain clouds' personal choices...

Plant MONSTER.

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Yeah and imo being mean should unlock a "stormy" skill tree and being nice gives you a "rainbow/light" skill tree or something.

Perhaps Mr Cloud can take on different forms later? Cirrus, Stratus, Fog, idk. Or those can just be other Cloudy denizens.

We're going to learn so much about the water cycle and the hydrosphere because of this project!

GODS

Rain God
Sun God
Chill(y) God (teaches u snow later)
Wind God (?)
Moon God (?)

AREAS

The Beach (tutorial maybe?)
The Village (feat: garden, houses)
The Woodland (feat: campsite, forest)
The City
The Desert

Plant MONSTER. fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jun 29, 2018

BoldFrankensteinMir

It's honestly a much more interesting application of game karma than the usual "you did enough red dialog options your skin went pale" stuff you see in every game that ripped off KOTOR (I'm looking at you, Infamous 1).

It's like if Kirby went to Oddworld. But with Toejam and Earl baddies. I really want to play this now...

Scaly Haylie

Plant MONSTER. posted:

I would like to request that the god of snow have refrigerators that you swoop into and you come out chilled after a few seconds of dramatic rattling

blaise rascal

Lizard Wizard posted:

I would like to request that the god of snow have refrigerators that you swoop into and you come out chilled after a few seconds of dramatic rattling
Just fyi, and this goes for everyone: If you want something to be in this game then you should probably make it yourself

blaise rascal

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Here are some thoughts about the use of multiple projectiles (perhaps using the scroll wheel to select between them). Unfortunately, while a cool idea, it has some issues. Consider that you'd have to define responses for all units for all projectiles. Perhaps like so:

Birdbath wants to be rained on (alignment +1)
Birdbath does not want to be shot by lightning (alignment -1)
Birdbath does not want to be snowed on (alignment -1)
Birdbath does not want to be tornado'd (alignment -1)

Cat does not want to be rained on (alignment -1)
Cat does not want to be shot by lightning (alignment -1)
Cat does not want to be snowed on (alignment -1)
Cat does not want to be tornado'd (alignment -1)

As you can see, if your goal is to reduce your alignment as much as possible, and you encounter these two enemies, you could just switch to "snow" and pelt everything in sight. You wouldn't need to aim. That's actually one of the unique things about a game that equally encourages you to do two opposite things (in this case, "be good" and "be evil"): we, as game makers, can't tweak the difficulty in many ways, because many things we could do to make the game harder in one direction will make it easier in the other direction. The whole point of the game is that you have to hit certain units and avoid hitting other units, but giving you multiple projectiles -could- negate this challenge and turn the game into a non-game.

An alternate possibility would be this:

Birdbath wants to be rained on (alignment +1)
Birdbath is indifferent toward being shot by lightning (alignment +0)
Birdbath is indifferent toward being snowed on (alignment +0)
Birdbath is indifferent toward being tornado'd (alignment +0)

Cat does not want to be rained on (alignment -1)
Cat is indifferent toward being shot by lightning (alignment +0)
Cat is indifferent toward being snowed on (alignment +0)
Cat is indifferent toward being tornado'd (alignment +0)

I think this approach of making each object only care about one projectile might be better from a gameplay perspective, but it creates all kinds of flavor challenges. Why would a cat not care about being shot by lightning?

I have to admit, the potential for the art, music, and tone of this game makes me very excited, but the potential for the gameplay does not. So many possible problems...

blaise rascal

City of Glompton posted:

blaise rascal i am home now and i tried out the demo and that tiny taste is so delightful! very exciting :)
Wonderful :)

DavidAlltheTime

All David...all the TIME!

blaise rascal posted:

I have to admit, the potential for the art, music, and tone of this game makes me very excited, but the potential for the gameplay does not. So many possible problems...

Perhaps instead of an alignment system, Golly could use their different projectiles to solve puzzles?

'There are no bad clouds, only bad cloud owners, and you can't own a cloud, they're gaseous.'
-Tupac

blaise rascal

DavidAlltheTime posted:

Perhaps instead of an alignment system, Golly could use their different projectiles to solve puzzles?

'There are no bad clouds, only bad cloud owners, and you can't own a cloud, they're gaseous.'
-Tupac
I call this the "adventure game option." My thoughts on this:

It's a good option but it should be planned out from the start. I would probably make an adventure game in Adventure Game Studio instead of Haxeflixel, for instance.

Also, designing good adventure game puzzles is tricky.

BoldFrankensteinMir

The snow idea is cool but honestly feels like a professional game level of complexity. What we're building here is basically a tech demo.

My vote is to keep it simple- rain or don't rain. If we can build that in the time allotted great, but even that challenge isn't a slam dunk.

K.I.S.S., amigos.

cda

by Hand Knit

blaise rascal posted:

WELL i was a bit rusty but I got this up and running. Check it out!

http://www.fastswf.com/rtTSxfo

I plan on replacing those placeholder assets, but keep in mind that y'all can request changes to the non-asset stuff as well (IE the gameplay mechanics).
There were actually quite a few decisions that went into just that little demo, and all of it is very subject to change.

In case artists want to just make one-for-one replacements for the art in the game, here are the current art asset sizes. (Feel free to change the size if it fits your artistic vision better)
Background size: 640x480 (if the game is an autoscroller then the background should really be like 3000x480 or something)
Cloud size: 100x70
Raindrop size: 14x14

Oh, and by the way, the programming language I'm using can build the game for flash, html5, windows, mac, linux, android, and ios

Here's my to-do list

Programming tasks (major)
-Make stuff for the cloud to rain on
-Do stuff when the stuff is rained on
-maybe implement autoscrolling if that's what we end up doing
-animate stuff
-play sound effects & music

Programming tasks (minor)
-Try different control schemes to see what feels best
-I think the rain falls at a constant rate even when the cloud is moving, but I'm not sure I coded that right, so I should check that out
-polish the rain mechanic (maybe stagger the rain spawnpoint under the cloud left-to-right & stretch out the rain as it falls. that kind of stuff)
-menus, game over screens, loading screens, etc

Hello, maybe this is helpful or not. Just my thoughts. No need to do or not do any of this, but I thought it might be useful to see something in this format.

Movement:

Controls: WASD/Arrow Keys
Display: Top left, as windspeed with an arrow pointing in the appropriate direction. E.g. (5km/h --> or 25km/h <--) for left-right movement. Up down movement has no display.
STRETCH GOAL: Instead of just arrows, a cute little weathervane pointing in the right direction
Behavior: Player sets the windspeed using the left and right arrows. Windspeed increases/decreases at a constant rate as long as a button is pressed, and stays the same as long as no button is pressed. This means that the faster the cloud is going in one direction, the longer it will take to reach 0km/h.
Up and Down are at a set speed. Movement in the up/down direction stops if neither button is being pressed.

Rain:

Controls: Space/Mouse Button 1 to rain, Shift/Mouse Button 2 to collect
Display: Top left, next to windspeed, a number from 0/100.
STRETCH GOAL 1: Number flashes, turns red or something when below 20
STRETCH GOAL 2: Cloud gets bigger or smaller depending on how much water is in it, disappearing completely (and ending the level) if water hits 0.
Behavior: Space/Mouse Button 1 makes the cloud rain. Raining decreases water at a constant rate (rate tbd. Obviously, the faster it is, the more difficult the game is). Raining on objects affects the alignment of the cloud.
Shift/Mouse Button 2 collects water from bodies of water when the cloud is hovering over them.
When water reaches 0, the level is over.
STRETCH GOAL 1 Other "special attacks" (rainbow? lightning?) that have special effects.
STRETCH GOAL 2 Some objects/hazards reduce water.

Objects:

Controls: Player is not in control of objects. When objects are rained upon they raise/lower alignment.
Display: Scattered around the level.
Behavior: Objects are stationary.
STRETCH GOAL 1 Raining on objects makes them change state (e.g. flowers grow, ponds get filled, parades get ruined)
STRETCH GOAL 2 Some objects move (parades, cross-country skiiers, witches on broomsticks)

Alignment:

Controls: Raining on objects increases or decreases your alignment by a set amount per object.
Display:Top right, a number from -100 to +100
STRETCH GOAL 1 A slider instead of just a number.
STRETCH GOAL 2 The cloud changes based on alignment, from a white fluffy smiley cloud when positive to a dark grinning mischevious one when negative

Levels:

There are four levels.
Spring: Easiest level. Everything standard.
Summer: Boy, it's hot! The sun decreases your water over time.
Fall: Fall is windy. The windspeed is occasionally increased/decreased, making control a bit more challenging (note: a little of this will go a long way).
Winter: You're not raining, you're snowing! Snow falls more slowly than rain.

Behavior: Levels wrap around/loop, so if you go off the left side of a level, you'll end up on the extreme right side.

STRETCH GOALS 1: There could be a lot here, pretty much all based on how much you want to differentiate each season. Pallette swaps, new objects etc. (Pumpkins/Halloween decorations for fall, Snowmen, igloos, skiiers for winter, fireworks displays for summer, etc.)
STRETCH GOALS 2: Mountains, valleys, that require you to navigate around them. (personally, I'd like it if when you run into a mountain you can go through it, but it reduces your water). Note that this would make moving objects trickier! (what happens when a parade runs into a mountain etc)

Modes

These modes are listed in order of priority, so if chill mode is the only one that gets made, that's fine.

Chill mode: Select any level and play as long as you want, just messing around.
Time mode: Select any level and see how evil/good you can get in a set time.
Score mode: Play through an entire year and see your how high/low you can get your total score over all four levels (max -400/+400).
Time score: Play through an entire year with only a set time in each season and see how high/low you can get your score.

STRETCH GOAL High/low score list.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
i wish you posted here more cda

blaise rascal

Thanks for the thoughts, cda & and everyone else!

cda posted:

Movement:

Controls: WASD/Arrow Keys
Display: Top left, as windspeed with an arrow pointing in the appropriate direction. E.g. (5km/h --> or 25km/h <--) for left-right movement. Up down movement has no display.
STRETCH GOAL: Instead of just arrows, a cute little weathervane pointing in the right direction
Behavior: Player sets the windspeed using the left and right arrows. Windspeed increases/decreases at a constant rate as long as a button is pressed, and stays the same as long as no button is pressed. This means that the faster the cloud is going in one direction, the longer it will take to reach 0km/h.
Up and Down are at a set speed. Movement in the up/down direction stops if neither button is being pressed.
I was just whipping up a version with arrow controls right now :)

I also want to make a demo for a top-down, rather than side-view version. Might be better suited for exploration

cda posted:

Modes

These modes are listed in order of priority, so if chill mode is the only one that gets made, that's fine.

Chill mode: Select any level and play as long as you want, just messing around.
Time mode: Select any level and see how evil/good you can get in a set time.
Score mode: Play through an entire year and see your how high/low you can get your total score over all four levels (max -400/+400).
Time score: Play through an entire year with only a set time in each season and see how high/low you can get your score.

STRETCH GOAL High/low score list.
Time mode is my favorite out of these. It's the most katamari-esque mode.

Also, none of these modes is an autoscroller; instead the camera follows the player. This is a notable difference from what alnilam suggested. It would make the game less arcade-y and more explore-y.

cda posted:

Rain:

Controls: Space/Mouse Button 1 to rain, Shift/Mouse Button 2 to collect
Display: Top left, next to windspeed, a number from 0/100.
STRETCH GOAL 1: Number flashes, turns red or something when below 20
STRETCH GOAL 2: Cloud gets bigger or smaller depending on how much water is in it, disappearing completely (and ending the level) if water hits 0.
Behavior: Space/Mouse Button 1 makes the cloud rain. Raining decreases water at a constant rate (rate tbd. Obviously, the faster it is, the more difficult the game is). Raining on objects affects the alignment of the cloud.
Shift/Mouse Button 2 collects water from bodies of water when the cloud is hovering over them.
When water reaches 0, the level is over.
STRETCH GOAL 1 Other "special attacks" (rainbow? lightning?) that have special effects.
STRETCH GOAL 2 Some objects/hazards reduce water.
Not sure if "finite water supply" is a mechanic that is warranted. It might just make things tedious, as you have to continuously go back and refill your water.

cda posted:

Spring: Easiest level. Everything standard.
Summer: Boy, it's hot! The sun decreases your water over time.
Fall: Fall is windy. The windspeed is occasionally increased/decreased, making control a bit more challenging (note: a little of this will go a long way).
Winter: You're not raining, you're snowing! Snow falls more slowly than rain.
This kind of design where each level has its own gimmick seems like an elegant solution to the "how do you handle multiple gimmicks at the same time" problem I posted about a few posts ago.

blaise rascal fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jun 30, 2018

Robot Made of Meat

High/Low score lists aren't very BYOB.

Just sayin'

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

BoldFrankensteinMir

cda, I am inspired. Bravo.

City of Glompton

cda, I am inspired. Bravo.

:agreed:

thanks cda for a lot of good ideas

BoldFrankensteinMir

(Image 1: blue skies with one cloud)

Narrator
There. Right there.

(Image 2: blue skies with adult hand pointing to cloud)

Narrator
Do you see it?

(Image 3: blue skies with adult hand and child hand both pointing to cloud)

Child
There?

Narrator
Yes! That's the one cloud that never dries.

Child
Why not?

Narrator
Because that's where all the rain comes from in the first place.

(Image four: the cloud, now from above, revealing a pond held in flower petals floating within)

Narrator
There's a fountain on
That cloud, that runs
over, and over, and
over, because
on its surface...

(Image five: closer to the pond, revealing Golly, an anthropomorphisized rain drop carrying an umbrella. Endless rivulets of water run from Golly's feet into the pond as she skips atop its surface.)

Narrator
... goes the Great
Golly!

ChildImag
(In awe)
Who's that???

Narrator
Golly is a rain
spirit. The
rain spirit,
some say.

(Image 6: Golly twirls on the water as Gosh, a friendly face on the cloud surrounding the floating pond, stretches to face her)

Narrator
When Golly wants
to, she can command
the clouds at her
feet.

Golly
Gosh! Come here
Gosh!

Narrator
She commands,
because that's
her friend's name.

Child
Whose name?

Narrator
The cloud's!

Child
Oooooooh...

Golly
Gosh!
The world needs
our waters! You must
fly on the winds
to deliver my rain, near
and far, to everyone!

(Image 7: Golly and Gosh look over the wide world beneath them, full of people and places)

Gosh
(Gulps)
Everyone,
your Gollyness?

Golly
Everyone,
Gosh. Though
when and where it
falls, that choice rests
in the wind's hands.

(Image 8: Gosh buds off little clouds with faces that blow away towards the horizons teeming with challenges)

Gosh
(Gulps)
Will they be fair winds?

Narrator
Said Gosh, who worried for her little ones, out there in the world that felt so many ways about being rained on.

Golly
They may be fair... or foul. The choice is not ours, nor our couriers, if our gifts are to be curses. They're in the wind's hands now...

(Title page)

blaise rascal

Well here's a version with keyboard controls. I tried to make it kind of floaty and hard to control.

Also, to make it even more different from the previous demo, I made everything tiny and used plant monster's cloud sprite with a new raindrop sprite. This version still makes the rain keep some of the x-velocity of the cloud at the time the cloud rains (as opposed to the rain just falling straight down). This time I added a rotation to the raindrops so they face the direction they are going.

http://www.fastswf.com/4kndlCA

Here's the same thing but scaled up by 2x (so each pixel is 2x2 in size)

http://www.fastswf.com/_EXrTaA

City of Glompton

(Image 1: blue skies with one cloud)

Narrator
There. Right there.

(Image 2: blue skies with adult hand pointing to cloud)

Narrator
Do you see it?

(Image 3: blue skies with adult hand and child hand both pointing to cloud)

Child
There?

Narrator
Yes! That's the one cloud that never dries.

Child
Why not?

Narrator
Because that's where all the rain comes from in the first place.

(Image four: the cloud, now from above, revealing a pond held in flower petals floating within)

Narrator
There's a fountain on
That cloud, that runs
over, and over, and
over, because
on its surface...

(Image five: closer to the pond, revealing Golly, an anthropomorphisized rain drop carrying an umbrella. Endless rivulets of water run from Golly's feet into the pond as she skips atop its surface.)

Narrator
... goes the Great
Golly!

ChildImag
(In awe)
Who's that???

Narrator
Golly is a rain
spirit. The
rain spirit,
some say.

(Image 6: Golly twirls on the water as Gosh, a friendly face on the cloud surrounding the floating pond, stretches to face her)

Narrator
When Golly wants
to, she can command
the clouds at her
feet.

Golly
Gosh! Come here
Gosh!

Narrator
She commands,
because that's
her friend's name.

Child
Whose name?

Narrator
The cloud's!

Child
Oooooooh...

Golly
Gosh!
The world needs
our waters! You must
fly on the winds
to deliver my rain, near
and far, to everyone!

(Image 7: Golly and Gosh look over the wide world beneath them, full of people and places)

Gosh
(Gulps)
Everyone,
your Gollyness?

Golly
Everyone,
Gosh. Though
when and where it
falls, that choice rests
in the wind's hands.

(Image 8: Gosh buds off little clouds with faces that blow away towards the horizons teeming with challenges)

Gosh
(Gulps)
Will they be fair winds?

Narrator
Said Gosh, who worried for her little ones, out there in the world that felt so many ways about being rained on.

Golly
They may be fair... or foul. The choice is not ours, nor our couriers, if our gifts are to be curses. They're in the wind's hands now...

(Title page)

:swoon:

mags

what language are you writing this in?

paul_soccer12 posted:

blaise rascal

Haxe. And I'm using the haxeflixel library.

I could commit the code somewhere if some other person wants to help with programming, or maybe just stick the whole thing in a password-protected dropbox folder. Otherwise I probably won't bother with source control.

mags

blaise rascal posted:

Haxe. And I'm using the haxeflixel library.

I could commit the code somewhere if some other person wants to help with programming, or maybe just stick the whole thing in a password-protected dropbox folder. Otherwise I probably won't bother with source control.

downloading it right now. im a humanities major with a comp sci minor so i can't make any guarantees to the usefulness of my assistance

paul_soccer12 posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blaise rascal

mister magpie posted:

downloading it right now. im a humanities major with a comp sci minor so i can't make any guarantees to the usefulness of my assistance
Sweet! You've probably studied programming more than I have as an engineering major. Actually, the only reason I'm able to get by is because haxeflixel handles garbage collection and other tricky stuff automatically. Still, it's possible for stuff like memory leaks to slip through, so having your eyes on the project will probably be a great boon.

I'm using the "flashdevelop" ide but I think you can use visual studio code instead. Here's the tutorial for installing everything: http://haxeflixel.com/documentation/getting-started/

I'll pm you once I've put the game online somewhere. Also, if any artist/creative people want access to the game so they can add assets to it directly, you can send me a pm as well. Or you can just post assets in this thread. Whatever works.

• Locked thread