Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yeah they need Grand Slam rules, matches that last for hours. Add the rule about no fifth set tiebreak too

But you still only get two rackets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

BIG BUFF MAN posted:

I beat story mode without the retry button. It was hell. HELL!

It's not so bad, the worst I had was Boo rally, but once I figured how to Trick shot to victory no match had more than 3 retries, the obligatory story matches I'd pretty much beat on the first try.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

I am very glad for this update.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

It's not so bad, the worst I had was Boo rally, but once I figured how to Trick shot to victory no match had more than 3 retries, the obligatory story matches I'd pretty much beat on the first try.

Luigi, only because they make you do the first doubles match first which anyone could do with their eyes closed.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Will I ever win a tournament? I get to the championship pretty much every time and always lose. :smith:

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

The update is live, boys and girls! Go get it!

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

EightFlyingCars posted:

The update is live, boys and girls! Go get it!

Here’s the English patch notes: https://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29137/~/how-to-update-mario-tennis-aces

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug
I feel like when hazards are selected off, the mast should not be there. It's a hazard!

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Lmao buffed Toadette and now all her shots are faster. Thanks Nintendo

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I couldn’t even win with my man Waluigi and now they nerfed him. I will never win at this game :smith:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

First tournament after the patch and I made it all the way to the championships with Peach. Only my second time ever.

Couldn't seal the deal, though. I hadn't faced a human Luigi before and it went... poorly

vlad3217
Jul 26, 2005

beer and cheese?!

yaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy!
Real glad I snuck in tournament wins at the end of July in both modes because I am so bad with post nerf waluigi :gonk: can't decide if I power through and try to learn his new limitations or try someone else out.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Wow the single player of this game can super suck my dick. I don’t play a ton but I’ve been stuck bashing my head against Blooper and his cheap mast shot bullshit. One time he served off the mast and the ball sailed at me and I swung at it naturally and I lost a point because the ball must bounce first. Dude, come the gently caress on. It was a serve!! They never go out of bounds behind you, so naturally my instinct is going to have me swing at it.

The campaign is so righteously unfun.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Chaotic Flame posted:

Will I ever win a tournament? I get to the championship pretty much every time and always lose. :smith:

I made sure I won one on release day so I never have to play again.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Made it to the finals again and lost, ugh

Also by the time it gets to the finals everyone seems to have terrible internet connections or keeps leaving

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

So, after a string of 7(!) first round eliminations, I finally won my first tournament!!

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

drat Toadette is good now

Wario is good now

Toad? Still poo poo.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Every Toadette I've played has been a killer and that was before the patch even.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!
Did they buff Boo too? His slice seems even more wicked now

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Chaotic Flame posted:

Every Toadette I've played has been a killer and that was before the patch even.

Because you have to try twice as hard as Toadette so your skills develop faster due to using underpowered mushroom people.

Toadette can now dunk people even harder. Good.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug

Feenix posted:

Wow the single player of this game can super suck my dick. I don’t play a ton but I’ve been stuck bashing my head against Blooper and his cheap mast shot bullshit. One time he served off the mast and the ball sailed at me and I swung at it naturally and I lost a point because the ball must bounce first. Dude, come the gently caress on. It was a serve!! They never go out of bounds behind you, so naturally my instinct is going to have me swing at it.

The campaign is so righteously unfun.

Blooper nearly broke me but once I decided to try and break his rackets for a ko it wasn't too bad. Make sure you're getting enough charge in your shots and don't necessarily aim right at him for the zone shots 'cause he'll just move out of the way but aim near him so he tries for it and breaks/goes too early.

Edit: I also avoided hitting cross court to avoid the mast when possible.

DuhSal fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Aug 2, 2018

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

DuhSal posted:

Blooper nearly broke me but once I decided to try and break his rackets for a ko it wasn't too bad. Make sure you're getting enough charge in your shots and don't necessarily aim right at him for the zone shots 'cause he'll just move out of the way but aim near him so he tries for it and breaks/goes too early.

Edit: I also avoided hitting cross court to avoid the mast when possible.

Alternatively drop shot to the win.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

quote:

Options: Players can now switch the controls of Trick Shots to use only the Right Stick
This is A Good Thing.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Alternatively drop shot to the win.

That's been my strategy since the first game

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Fully charged drop shots in this game by certain characters is very broken. Koopa Trooper especially has a bullshit drop shot.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

What does fully charging a drop shot do? I haven’t even thought of doing that.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

What does fully charging a drop shot do? I haven’t even thought of doing that.

For some characters it will literally not bounce at all. Possibly anecdotal but I also get a lot of clipping the net when it's fully charged

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

FC Drop Shot causes ball to drop like a rock and Koopa's gimmick is that he is the fastest character with the best drop shot in the game.

Very cheap way to win online though.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

This is a good dumb game. It's stressful and fun.

I got to the semi-finals, something I don't do often, playing for the first time with Blooper. Weird guy with a strong top-spin. Not someone I'm going to stick with. I had a strong first game where we battle for the server's game point against a Mario in that semi, I eventually lost and he clowned me to get his Break point match point. I love how you can do something so well for a bit and then it all falls apart. I suppose it captures real tennis in that way.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Blooper feels gross to play with. He's all damp and squishy.

Deltron 3030
Jul 23, 2006

I submit that you took that baseball, stashed it in your unusually large vagina, and walked right on out of here!
If you don't run around like a maniac to celebrate after every point you win in online matches, then I don't want to know you.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Deltron 3030 posted:

If you don't run around like a maniac to celebrate after every point you win in online matches, then I don't want to know you.

I run straight at my opponent, into the net

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

BIG BUFF MAN posted:

Run back around the toads officiating.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

BIG BUFF MAN posted:

Don’t forget to wave at them while spinning once your reach the net

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Deltron 3030 posted:

Daisy is the best character for this.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

SeANMcBAY posted:

Daisy is the best character.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

With Peach I continuously spin around in a circle as fast as I can

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

That’s right. Thanks for correcting me.

dividertabs
Oct 1, 2004

Is Bowser's trick shot especially bad, or am I just bad at using them? I can never tell where the ball is going in time to commit to a trick shot. This isn't a balance complaint since he seems to make up for it in offense.

Did the August patch add ranked matchmaking on top of the tournament? I played a good bit during the preview and early July and never won even a Semifinal, but just got 2 tournament wins yesterday (against players who weren't that great).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Got to simple semifinals for the first time, only to be completely destroyed by Boo. How the gently caress do I even begin to deal with his shots?