Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I gave up on Boo

His AI is just loving way overtuned imo. He gets a million star shots and his ball literally zigzags the entire goddamn court. He's somehow even worse than rosalina gently caress off ghost

Remember to use Zone Speed to chase down balls and also time blocks. I ended up hoarding meter so I could use Special Shot as a bailout.

Still took me about a dozen tries. Just like a Dark Souls boss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Partial Octopus posted:

So I'm really enjoying the game but I'm having trouble grasping what the point of all the different shots are. The slow and fast shots seem like the only useful ones. The others seem all kinda samey and the lob just seems like its always suicide and I can't see why you would ever want to use it.

A fully charged shot will push back the opponent, unless you counter with a specific shot. Flats counter flats, and Topspin/Slice counter each other. You want to mix up and confuse your opponent so that they start losing ground and getting to your shots late, which gives you more potential charge and them less. It's like tug of war. Keep in mind that each shot will behave differently if you hit it from the inside/outside of the court, and if you apply a direction to it.

If your opponent approaches the net, you lob the ball to get it behind them, and the opposite is the same with drop shots -- you use them when the opponent is further back so they can't get to the net in time. However, these shots will just end up as bad normal shots unless you charge them. A fully charged lob will land on the baseline and then bounce like 100 feet in the air, which makes it impossible for them to return unless they were already there before the bounce or they burn a special shot on it

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

When going for a rally if you're not good with terms keep this in the back of your head

Red shot you should return with a Blue shot
Blue shot you should return with a Red shot
Purple should be purple.

If you hit a red shot with a red shot you give the enemy a star point so they can slam a ball into your face. Same with returning a blue with your blue. If you can keep ontop of that then your enemy will literally never get the chance to zone shot you while you bully them.

Oh wow I hadn't thought about it yet but this game is really bad for colorblindness isn't it

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Star zones are also caused when the opponent returns with poor form (being close enough to hit but you have to reach for it a bit and go flat-footed)

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Jonny_Rocket posted:

It’s like Duck Hunt in that regard

That drat snickering dog

It's like the run back to a Dark Souls boss

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I died with 380 points on Kamek gently caress

I managed to get a bailout special shot too and then smashed it out of bounds :negative:

Edit: and as soon as I complained about it on the internet I did all 400 points in one rally :cabot:

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jun 23, 2018

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Jonny_Rocket posted:

I must be bad at this game, I’m currently stuck on the reflective mirror mission. Am I supposed to hit all of the gears in its second form?

Yes. Keep in mind that some of the gears move very quickly so you will have to lead your shot ahead of it when you aim a Zone Shot

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

soggybagel posted:

One thing that is a recurring slight annoyance is that even if you're in the right position and you have a full charged shot the game doesn't really let you hit a shot right down the line. Its annoying because I do think it takes a tad bit of strategy/mind game element out of it.

What character are you playing? I use Peach precisely because Technical characters are better at exactly this, sending winners right down the line is even more satisfying than a drop shot that plinks right over the net (which Peach is also good at)

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Yeah with a loss it is possible to get 0 points for a match. Round 1 and 2 wins are 10 or 20. People with thousands of points have repeatedly won tournaments

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Rapid volleys are amazing.

Well after a few days of no connection problems suddenly my tournament matchmaking has poo poo the bed. (Also the game has tried to matchmake me with the same player who keeps declining or dropping connection, which seems self-defeating)

Am I gonna have to get an ethernet adapter for this game

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Yeah honestly I would like to know too. I thought stars were because of bad counters or poor form but I see opponents get stars even when I have proper footing and even charge up a little.

Maybe there are character traits that affect it or something

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

ultrachrist posted:

Someone posted this earlier in the thread: https://docs.google.com/document/d/10yqhB5A9YPwkeEadGa86LCvU8ZjW0tmZ-vOP9LSBNts/mobilebasic

Don't even think for a second I have internalized all those rules.

But I get the gist of a few of them and once you get a star, it becomes much easier to keep getting them while denying your opponent them.

Holy poo poo long rally thresholds give meter bonuses to both sides? That is, uh, important information to know. Thanks for the link

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

If this is a fighting game, I decided that I need to lab it like it's a fighting game. I went into the Vs. COM mode and played 15 matches against Bowser Jr. in Ace difficulty.

I lost 120 points in a row, which I expected, but some things that came to mind:

Basically whoever gets to 1/3 meter first can easily bully the opponent out of the point, or even the game. The opponent's options against a zone shot are either use meter to block (keeping the deficit), maybe using a power stroke and taking racket damage, or giving up the point.

I am really bad at using trick shots to build meter. It feels like even if I even completely anticipate where the ball is going and immediately use a trick shot as soon as they hit the ball, it's still a toss-up between whether I build meter or have to use zone speed and actually lose meter.

Similarly, I can't pinpoint how I'm losing the meter battle so badly. I feel like even when I get in front of the ball and do plenty of charge, I am still building slower than the opponent, both in vs. COM and online. Also when I manage to get off a zone shot, a successful block by the opponent means they actually come out ahead on meter.
Though that last part might only be for AI who can block without zone speed. Although maybe the top-ranking masters are able to block zone shots without slowing down time, which seems impossible to me right now...

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

I assume the children are the players that are way better than me and everyone I can beat is an old dad.

This.

Kids can be ruthless (Dylan :argh: )

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

They’re not too bad to block without once you get the timing down. Return them right when the ball is close to your character. Only use zone speed when it looks like they’re going to be out of reach.

I guess I have old man reflexes because unlike in Adventure mode, for me Vs. Zone Shots are too fast for me to tell whether they are going for a body shot or open court without zone speed. Either I hold down zone speed from the beginning, or take a 50/50 chance that it's going for me (and usually take racket damage)

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Yeah drop shots punish early charge commitment. Once I realize it's a drop shot and I have been charging, I have to mash on the button to switch to a power shot and hope I can dig it out

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

If your Trick Shot is late and requires Zone Speed but you don't have enough meter to legitimately reach the ball, it converts the shot into a lob

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

Any tips for the Kamek rallying challenge? The mast keeps loving me up.

Hoard special meter and use special shots as bailouts when there's a weird slice or an unexpected bounce off the mast.

Kamek hits a bunch of weak shots so you should be able to charge up quickly

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Deltron 3030 posted:

Mario Tennis Aces: Too Early!

Every time I start to get some confidence online, the next game I'll score 1 point max.

:same:

Had a nailbiter Peach mirror match that went all the way to tiebreaker with awesome 30 shot rallies and I think "Yeah, this is what the game is supposed to be, this is great"

Then I get rolled 8 points in a row by Bowser Jr

Then I want to end on a win and get it, only to see the opponent has literally zero ranking points

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Welp out of my last 30 matches almost all of them have been either me getting rolled by someone with thousands of points or me rolling someone with zero points

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Well count me among the folks who thought they had a handle on things in the open beta but now cannot win except against children, and not like 7 or 8 years even but probably younger

Like I know when I win matches these days the opponent is going to have 0 ranking points

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

My most recent embarrassing loss was against someone who was either AFK or slow-rolling me because I got three free points on my serve with no response. Then on the fourth point they showed up, broke my serve, and completely stomped me

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Just had a great match with someone double my ranking. Lots of even rallies, zone shot battles, pushing and pulling on the court. Feeling good about the game again.

Thinking like this is a fighting game -- are there any good Twitch streamers to watch? Preferably non-racist with a normal speaking voice

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Thanks for the recommendations!

I am really enjoying the mindgames that racket damage can create. Just played a Chain Chomp who was thousands of points higher than me, and I don't know if it was arrogance or what, but in game 1, my serve, I was already down 0-30 but had full energy so I special shotted them and broke their racket. I thought, OK at least I might be able to get a few free points off this or at least make them burn more energy.

Then I was down 15-40 and had full energy again, so I special shotted again... and the Chomp broke their racket and KO'ed. In a game one that they were ahead :shrug:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I assume the function it's supposed to fulfill is like a coinflip in fighting games. Since you can't cover the whole court at once (unless you're Bowser Jr.) the trick shot is supposed to be a hard read, that is, you're claiming that you know where your opponent will aim before they actually hit it. The energy boost is supposed to balance the fact that if you're wrong, you lose the point.

As long as the timing actually works out like that I am OK with it

Edit: Also who is the high-ranking NA player that did some streams with Peach, someone mentioned them in the Switch thread, was it one of the people posted before

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I guess I'm bad enough to be impressed that he was able to keep getting the ball back after those trick shot lobs, I usually get put away after one be ause I keep on doing that before I notice that I have zero energy and they are at max

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

CascadeBeta posted:

What's the consensus on Koopa Troopa so far? Bowser isn't really doing it for me anymore so I'm trying out the rest of the roster.

His running animation is best-in-class

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

It's been one day, how are people already to 10000 points

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Also how does a stadium crowd of Goombas, Spikes, Koopas, and Toads make human crowd sounds

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Luigi seems surprisingly tricky

Also watching Wimbledon while playing MTA during the breaks, maybe I'll learn something

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jul 2, 2018

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Trying to trick shot laterally and going up/downcourt, or vice versa, bones me so often. I can never tell if it's because I'm out of position and what I wanted to do won't work, or I fumbled the stick out of panic.

I would use left stick + XX but then I just end up trying to drop shot like a loser

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Had another Bowser Jr. stomp me 8 points in a row, I think I'm gonna start dodging him again.

Followed it up with a fun match against a Spike with four breaks of serve. Then I won three straight points in the tiebreak and they ragequit

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

I've run into some people that just toss the ball over and over without ever serving instead of rage quitting. Which I guess is a valid strategy.

The game eventually disconnects you after 30 seconds if you don't serve the ball.

Which I just had happen to me with another epic match. Held my serve relatively easily against a Boo, then Boo's service game was literally 20 points long with some of the rallies going to 40 shots, but they eventually held.

When it came to my next service game I held in 4 points and then Boo timed out on their serve :shrug:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Drop shot?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

kidcoelacanth posted:

Just had a long, back-and-forth championship match online that I eventually won out in. Games like that are so satisfying and why I'm digging Aces so much.

Daisy might be my new main??

She has the best taunt for sure.

Peach's celebration is S-Tier though, especially when you spin in circles really fast every time you win a point.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Really? I was going to mention that once I started moving out of no man's land, I started getting better results. I realized that I was losing the charge battle because I wasn't far back enough to consistently get max charge on a bunch of shots

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Electric Phantasm posted:

Fuuuucckkk, at the very least I can feel myself getting better playing against Blooper. Just getting a better feel to play and my timing with Zone Shots have gotten better. It's just half the time he scores against me it feels like it's not my fault because I richocet out of bounds off of the mast.

Special Shots are the bailout, use em whenever you see something wonky with the post

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Yeah use flat shots down the line when you're on the outside and slices when you're closer to the center and that should avoid you hitting the post

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I could never picture myself using trick shots on that level but I guess the ultimate joycon-smashing frustration of doing a lateral trick shot instead of a back when you're three shots away from beating the level would be enough to improve one's trick shot usage overall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Zone Speed is already the oh poo poo save me mechanic.

Trick shots should be the hard read risk/reward mechanic