Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

If a zone shot didn't damage your racket on a botched block, what would be the point of spending meter on it, instead of just using that star for a star shot, which also can be really hard to return and leave people in a bad position if they botch the return.

Also, if all trick shots burned meter, why would you ever use them over zone speed, considering the way that late trick shots burned meter is by forcing you into zone speed? They would do functionally the same thing at that point, and zone speed let's you pick what shot you're going to do, while trick shots don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Thom P. Tiers posted:

No idea. These are the games they have done.

19 years of nothing but tennis and golf games :psyduck:

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Neutron posted:

the first two golden sun games were my some of favourite RPGs ever :negative:

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I loved Golden Sun 1 and 2 at the time, but they really, really didn't age well. Also the DS game was somehow both shittier and too similar.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Mr. Neutron posted:

They’ve been all pretty good except for a few so good on them. Use that 20 years of skill on Mario Golf HD next.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Need one more for goon doubles get yo rear end in here!

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

murked by dragon posted:

the first two golden sun games were my some of favourite RPGs ever :negative:

Same, but omfg on a replay it's "unskippable talk talk talk talk talk talk talk " forever and ever

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

SeANMcBAY posted:

They’ve been all pretty good except for a few so good on them. Use that 20 years of skill on Mario Golf HD next.

:yeah: the GC tennis and golf games were awesome, I hope they make a new golf for the switch. There hasn't been a new console Mario Golf since the GC one

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

I have a Public Service Announcement for everyone in the thread: If you are playing Doubles, if you want to have a good time, do whatever you can to avoid having an AI in the game. The AI is uniformly awful, to the point where if you do have to have an AI, you basically need to agree to not try to break their racket.

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

Xad posted:

:yeah: the GC tennis and golf games were awesome, I hope they make a new golf for the switch. There hasn't been a new console Mario Golf since the GC one

The 3ds one (World Tour) is probably the best Mario Golf game in the series, by far. It's packed with content and has great DLC as well, and awesome online

I was playing it the other day as a matter of fact....

Wendell
May 11, 2003

ultrachrist posted:

I think ultimately the game would be better if perfect trick shots didn't exist and a trick shot was basically always the "oh gently caress I'm out of position" button and drained some meter.

I feel this way too.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I don't think it should drain meter (what would the point of zone speed be if it did) but maybe it shouldn't give more meter than a fully charged shot.

Free Cheese
Sep 16, 2005
Come on, it's free
Buglord
After getting stomped by a trick shot-abusing bowjr, I figured it was time to try classic. Surely i couldnt be as bad without all the special doodads to worry about- but man people playing that mode are way good at positioning and beat me even worse

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

ZeButler posted:

I have a Public Service Announcement for everyone in the thread: If you are playing Doubles, if you want to have a good time, do whatever you can to avoid having an AI in the game. The AI is uniformly awful, to the point where if you do have to have an AI, you basically need to agree to not try to break their racket.

dunno what you were talking about I was able to win with the AI!

after cursing them with every point...the easily exploitable garbage that they are.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I still can't get into Standard Mode. I like the simplicity and skill of Classic Mode. As it is, I think I'm going to stick the the All-Arounds; Power characters are too slow for me (or have no curve on their swings, excepting Bowser); Speedy too weak; Boo's OK if a bit slow, but I can't figure out Rosalina's serve; Peach is fine but weak; I actually really like the defensive characters, particularly Waluigi, Jr is again a tad slow.

I can't really choose between the 3 all-arounds but I'll alternate until I stay on one. Is there not a Stats page anywhere? You'd think that'd be important information to have.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I have been explicitly told that Toadette is the worst character in the game, but I will not stop maining her :unsmigghh:

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
I wanna do goon doubles but I live in the UK. I assume the group congregates in the Nintengoobs discord but how do I know when they’re happening?

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

kidcoelacanth posted:

I have been explicitly told that Toadette is the worst character in the game, but I will not stop maining her :unsmigghh:

Toadette is my favourite character in the Mario franchise but she just sucks so much to the point of it being unfun to play competitive multiplayer online with. Why can’t Toadette be good Nintendo? She deserves better :smith:

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
Toadette doesn't seem great, but the real problem is she gets lost in the parade on the snow level.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

jimmydalad posted:

I wanna do goon doubles but I live in the UK. I assume the group congregates in the Nintengoobs discord but how do I know when they’re happening?

I'm in France. I'd be happy to doubles. PM your friend-code and we'll work something out.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Well Daisy got me to my first Classic Championship final. Beat two Boos and a Rosalina on the way. The Semi-final was the best match against another Daisy. I lost to a Jr who had over 20k points compared to my measly 1000 points. Match-making is not at its finest yet. I felt pretty good all through out dominating some less experienced players (the first Boo and Rosalina) and having a great match with nice rallies with the other Daisy.

I don't want to jump on the Jr bandwagon of hate, but it's really telling that somethings not right. He never has to break form, ever. He barely floats left or right and hits every ball back with charge and desired direction. I got one point in and I think that was an error on his part. It was a bit frustrating.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

jimmydalad posted:

Yes, we are on the Nintengoons discord, and generally someone will ask in the Tennis channel if people want to play doubles. The person that asks can even be you! It might cause others in your time zone to speak up as well.

What I'm saying is, don't be afraid to ask if people want to play, because a game of doubles with voice chat is great (except when the AI's involved).

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

This game is getting a patch on the 29th. Don’t have full details yet but one of thing it’s changing apparently is the ranking system. Hopefully there’s some balancing as well.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

ZeButler posted:

Yes, we are on the Nintengoons discord, and generally someone will ask in the Tennis channel if people want to play doubles. The person that asks can even be you! It might cause others in your time zone to speak up as well.

What I'm saying is, don't be afraid to ask if people want to play, because a game of doubles with voice chat is great (except when the AI's involved).

How are you using voice chat on a system that doesn't support voice chat?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

RCarr posted:

How are you using voice chat on a system that doesn't support voice chat?

How is a group organizing matches on discord using voice.

That's a real thinker.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."

ZeButler posted:

Yes, we are on the Nintengoons discord, and generally someone will ask on the Tennis channel if people want to play doubles. The person that asks can even be you! It might cause others in your time zone to speak up as well.

What I'm saying is, don't be afraid to ask if people want to play, because a game of doubles with voice chat is excellent (except when the AI's involved).

I can vouch for this. I had fun playing doubles last night. I learned how to play the net v.s net properly, that I'm a ball magnet, and that the smartest COMPUTER AI super shots the ball out of bounds regularly.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

ZeButler posted:

Sounds cool! I’m in SGDQ mode right now, so may not have much of a chance to play right now, but I’ll def keep it in mind :3

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

SeANMcBAY posted:

This game is getting a patch on the 29th. Don’t have full details yet but one of thing it’s changing apparently is the ranking system. Hopefully there’s some balancing as well.

Please fix the bug where everyone uses the host's motion aiming setting.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Nephzinho posted:

How is a group organizing matches on discord using voice.

That's a real thinker.

Sorry I’ve never used discord I thought it was an irc type deal. I am not hip I guess.

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

"I... I did well, didn't I?"

creationist believer posted:

Please fix the bug where everyone uses the host's motion aiming setting.

How does it determine who is the host? Don't both players accept the match and it's peer to peer?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Ranking is going to be determined by how much money is in your eShop balance.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Tonight I learned I am terrible at doubles, but it was still a ton of fun.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

I don't think it's that you're bad at doubles, it's just that Kirios is really good and that I'm above average.

Deltron 3030
Jul 23, 2006

I submit that you took that baseball, stashed it in your unusually large vagina, and walked right on out of here!
Mario Tennis Aces: Too Early!

Every time I start to get some confidence online, the next game I'll score 1 point max.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Deltron 3030 posted:

Mario Tennis Aces: Too Early!

Every time I start to get some confidence online, the next game I'll score 1 point max.

:same:

Had a nailbiter Peach mirror match that went all the way to tiebreaker with awesome 30 shot rallies and I think "Yeah, this is what the game is supposed to be, this is great"

Then I get rolled 8 points in a row by Bowser Jr

Then I want to end on a win and get it, only to see the opponent has literally zero ranking points

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
I don’t know why I suddenly don’t get this game. In the demo, I played really well and had a 65% win rate. Now I’m sub 30% and can’t seem to win against even basic players that I can tell I’m much better than, technically.

Sometimes I try to use a trick shot with the R stick and instead my character will try a charge shot without me hitting other buttons. What gives?

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

Ranking is going to be determined by how much money is in your eShop balance.

Recreating the true tennis experience

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I finally sat down and sank my teeth into this thing a bit. Holy hell I had a rough time playing 3 sets with Koopa Troopa on that boat. He kept fooling me by bouncing his return shot off of the mast. I ended up doing 5 full sets including one stage failure.

Boo, in comparison, was relatively easy once I figured out that he's bad at catching up to a Flat shot to the other side of his court.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

CascadeBeta posted:

Tonight I learned I am terrible at doubles, but it was still a ton of fun.

Saaaaaaaame, I suck (relative to Kirios at the very least), but it was great! Still gotta train my brain to use A->B B->A and the right stick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
I was watching the #1 US player sunseeds late last night. He had like 177k points. I just went on twitch this morning and he’s at 203k. He’s been playing all night. Good god.